By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Adrian Nicolson

Here is a list of all the postings Adrian Nicolson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Strimmer /BrushCutter … any recommendations ?
01/07/2021 22:41:23

Hi MichaelG,

I really don't think you will be disappointed when you see their Products, in the flesh...as it were.

They are better known as being, pitched, more at the Professional/Contractor level...However, my view has always been that if I am going to buy something...I only really want to have to buy it once...and therefore I have always made my choices around that old "mantra"...

It has certainly served me well...I hope that you are just as impressed, when you see them.

Best Regards,

Adrian

PS The disclaimer: I have no association with Jonsered, other than being a very satisfied customer. Thanks

01/07/2021 22:03:43

Hi All,

Surprised that no one has recommended Jonsered Products for well engineered BrushCutters. On a purely personal note: I bought a Jonsered GR2036 Brushcutter back in 1995/6...that is still going strong. Granted, it was an expensive item at that time...but we had just bought a smallholding and we had a lot of Nettles, Brambles, Docks etc. to deal with...The Jonsered came with both a grass blade and a saw blade, as well as the Trimmer head...and made short work of anything we put in front of it. It doesn't get such heavy use these days, now that we have "retired"...but it is an extremely well made bit of kit IMHO.

Regards,

Adrian

Thread: Small drill honing jig
01/06/2021 23:32:48

Hi There,

I know of two options:

MEW No:9 Feb/Mar 1992 Article Start Page 14 by D J Unwin on A Small Drill Sharpening Jig (which is, an over implication...but simply put, two small bits of Square Bar, with a diagonal vee Groove to hold the small drill)

or

MEW No:97 April 2004 Article Start Page 22 by Trevor Marlow on "Musing About The Wishbone" (where the writer makes a sheet steel/homemade version of the original Wishbone Sharpener.

Hope these help

Regards,

Adrian

Thread: Another mystery no. 100
05/04/2020 16:37:52

Many, many thanks DC31k...for the link to the "paperwork" aka Instructions & Description for the Colin Walton Wheel & Pinion Cutting Attachment. It is very much appreciated

Ian...I am more than happy to help you out...In fact, we may be able to assist one another...I have sent you a "message"...

Regards,

Adrian

Edited By Adrian Nicolson on 05/04/2020 16:38:32

04/04/2020 18:20:17

Hi Bazyle,

Yes...I would agree with you, that your link shows what is probably, an earlier version of this Attachment.

One thing though...in the second picture in your link...the seller shows a copy of the original single sheet of "Instructions", from Colin Walton Designs...which was supplied with the attachment from new.

On a personal note: I am still trying to source either a copy...or a scan of this "Wheel and Pinion Cutting Attachment Instructions Sheet"...just for completeness (or possibly, my OCD).

...Don't get me wrong, it isn't difficult to figure out how to use this attachment...and what permutations are feasible/viable...without having this Instruction Sheet in my hands...

...but it would be nice to have a copy of that sheet, just the same...if anyone could possibly help or oblige?

Regards,

Adrian

04/04/2020 13:54:12

Hi Bazyle,

The two main shafts are 1/2" diameter (I think? they are Silver Steel).

The Main Block is 3/4" thick x 2.5" wide x 3.5" high.

Also...if you look back, at Ian's picture, the shaft with the Triangular shaped piece attached (bottom left of picture) swaps out with the plain second (or middle) shaft in Ian's picture of the main assembly...to give you a sliding Tailstock support for a Pinion on an arbor.

Whereas, on the photos shown in the link posted by John (Journeyman)...aka my one...It shows the attachment fitted with a short (potentially sacrificial) support/holder for the cutting of a Pinion Head.

All in all...it is a very simple...(the best ideas usually are, IMHO)....but very effective attachment (designed by Colin Walton) that doesn't take up a lot of room...and being so compact...can be used on a wide range of machines.

Personally, I am certainly really pleased that I managed to find one ))

Regards,

Adrian

Edited By Adrian Nicolson on 04/04/2020 14:09:18

04/04/2020 10:22:34

Thanks John...and the link you have added...actually links to the one I bought from Malcolm at PennyFarthing Tools.

Ian...look at the second picture in the link that John has supplied (above). You will see the main assembly attached to the Angle Plate, in the vertical position.

If you also look again at that picture, you will see an additional tapped hole, in the top edge of the main block secured to the angle plate. This additional tapped hole allows you to position the attachment horizontally (relative to the angle plate)...in instances when it would be beneficial (or easier) for the operating handle to be mounted in a horizontal plane.

Regards,

Adrian

03/04/2020 20:15:46

Hi,

It is a Colin Walton Wheel & Pinion Cutting Attachment, usually mounted on the cross-slide of a lathe, utilising the small Angle Bracket shown in the bottom right of your attached photo.

Regards,

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
JD Metals
walker midge
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
cowells
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest