By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Robin

Here is a list of all the postings Robin has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Buying metal - caveat emptor.
19/01/2020 23:56:32

I don't think anyone would call that top piece free cutting.

I just bought a UNC die and a bar of EN1A from GLR to avoid exactly this little snag, I still have faith.

Hmmm.

Thread: Case Hardening
05/01/2020 23:16:56

In days of yore I seem to remember that RS did two kinds of iron bar, EN1A which was not case hardenable and the one with the green paint on the end that was. Taxing my brain here, didn't the EN1A contain lead to make it free cutting and that precluded case hardening?

68 years may have weakened my brain but it comes with nearly a full tin of Kasenit No. 1 so it's not all bad angel

Thread: Adhesive to bond metal to glass
01/01/2020 00:05:26

In 'The Boy Electrician' they glued the glass plates of the Wimshurst generator to their wooden axles using wood glue mixed with Pottasium Bichromate.

Not suggesting for one second that anyone should try this, just wandering down memory lane while I still have a memory lane to wander down angel

Thread: Soldering with tin
15/12/2019 12:01:09

Bravo chaps. I have ordered 100gms of 99.99% pure tin, this is in lumps rather than rods and I am fairly confident it is the real McCoy this time.

Also some Stannol liquid flux, just because it claims to be for tinning steel and isn't a solid lump like the rosin turned out to be.

I think I will experiment with new iron rather than diving in on the 200 year old expensive stuff.

This will be my Christmas entertainment smiley

14/12/2019 10:24:00

Re- case hardening would destroy the antique finish. How to do this seems to have been engraved on the back of those tablets Moses brought down from Mt Sinai and they say "Thou shalt solder on a new face with tin".

Rapid have a solder cream that melts at 138C and solders at 215-260C Edsyn CR11 No-Clean SMD Solder Paste Content 10 g

I spend my life soldering which is why I am expecting this will be a real cow to do. I was rather hoping there would be something miraculous about tin. I suppose a splash of Baker's would also destroy the finish, I will need to experiment.

13/12/2019 15:44:16

I was weighing with the postal scale so 7.6 may be a bit of an approximation. 5m lomg 1.61mm diam 78gms

13/12/2019 15:14:57

I'm trying to buy tin so I can solder hardened carbon steel without tempering it. Apparently tin is the stuff because it melts at 272degC. If you haven't guessed my flintlocks have worn through their case hardenings.

So I bought some on that auction site. What arrived was not tin, I worked out the SG at 2.5 so I'm guessing aluminium.

I found another vendor promising me almost clinically pure tin which just arrived.

I bent it listening for the so called 'cry of tin'... deathly silence.

I tried melting it with my soldering iron and it laughed at me.

I tried melting it with a butane gas lighter and burnt my fingers.

I tried melting it with the gas hob and eventually the end fell of.

I worked out the SG at 7.6 which sounds right so I am now really confused.

Robin

Thread: Cannon or Carronade?
07/12/2019 12:21:17
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 07/12/2019 10:56:14:

+1! Scotland was a major producer of Iron, perhaps 25% of all UK production, and there were many firms making and using Iron there.

Thanks for all that typing, I'm getting a crash course here and on Goggle or whatever it calls itself. The second spill off from Carron was the Falkirk Foundary in 1810 who signed themselves FALKIRK on pots

So presumably this is by them and not Carron. There are quite a few of these floating about, I presume they were cast to order, but that would mean they didn't season the iron. I know so little, back to Goggling for me then.

I actually thought iron was sorted out by Dud Dudley back in the 17th, but perhaps he only sorted it where he was. I have a reprint of his wonderful book where he prices the various irons and moans about the charcoal burners trashing his sea cole fired furnaces smiley

Robin

06/12/2019 23:08:51

Does anyone know, was Carron the only cannon maker in Falkirk back c1800?

If a ships cannon is marked FALKIRK 6Pdr, is it safe to assume it is by Carron?

Thread: More evidence that the world has gone mad!
03/12/2019 10:27:55

I remember the Chequers, we used to sit on the benches in their odd courtyard, then off to the Turf to sit on the benches in their odd courtyard. Wonder if it is still there...

Thread: Free software and human nature
13/10/2019 13:01:29

I point email support requests to the FAQ's or make them ring me if it is complicated. I will chat for hours, it's like care in the community, helps keep me sane. face 22

Thread: Warco WM18 milling head shake ( technically spindle is precessing) when plunge milling a blind slot.
09/10/2019 00:29:28

Whenever I have had violent shaking plunging on a 2 flute cutter it has always been cutting one of those weird Reuleaux triangles rather than a round hole. I have no idea why or how to prevent it, we have already plumbed the full depth of my knowlege with this simple observation smiley

Thread: Silent compressor problem
25/09/2019 01:03:18

Mine got horribly hot for no good reason I could see and stopped working. I bought another one. The hot one cooled down and worked for another 2 years, still going strong.

Thread: Acetone
28/07/2019 12:15:56

I usually type, 'Acetone 5L' in to ebay when I run low, then sort by price and postage. Are we expecting a problem getting it after Brexit? I will stock up. I got chloroform out of Italy as, 'goods in free circulation', but I think they have put the mockers on that one. Apparently you can make chloroform by reacting acetone and hypochlorite but I haven't checked for awkward byproducts.

Sometimes wonder how I am still alive...

Thread: Angle grinders - Dangerous or not
18/07/2019 14:30:53

My memory is getting old and tired. I remember cutting my finger with an angle grinder, I remember how much it hurt, but blowed if i can remember how I did it. Makes it slightly tricky to avoid doing it again? cool

Thread: Is it bad practice to lock my Myford lathe using the slow speed lever
24/06/2019 12:19:10

On my ML10 I flip the belt cover back, grab the drive belt and squeeze it in the middle whilst lambasting the chuck key with a rubber mallet. I then look at the hand that held the belt and wish I had put on a rubber glove. If the chuck resists I lock the shaft with the back gear. I know I shouldn't but it is so convenient and expeditious.

Thread: Tyrosemiophilia
08/06/2019 10:09:10

I seem to be collecting blunderbusses, they make me smile smiley

Thread: 1959 Nsu quickly
01/05/2019 10:01:15
Posted by Robin on 01/05/2019 10:00:36:

I found one of those NSU Quickly's in our garden shed when I was a nipper. Pedal backwards for the brake, pull the clutch lever and twist for the gears. I took it all apart, reassembled then pushed it to the track by Port Meadow leading to Oxford city dump and discovered the joys of off road powered cycling. Nearly got arrested pushing it home, if the copper hadn't been on a bicycle he might have tried harder. How times have changed.

01/05/2019 10:00:36

Help, wish I hadn't started, everythings going wrong.

Edited By Robin on 01/05/2019 10:02:34

Thread: QCTP material
31/03/2019 21:02:15

I was guessing Quality Control Test Probe, but that didn't sound right so I Googled it. Thank goodness I didn't say anything, I would have looked a right twit...

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
mid gard rail Jan 2020
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest