By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Guy Lamb

Here is a list of all the postings Guy Lamb has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: inland seagulls
30/04/2020 13:01:59

Like most things to do with the environment and gulls specifically, it's all our faults. If we didn't waste thousands of tons of food every year by throwing it in the bin because the 'use by' date has passed and consigning it to land fill or used our noses instead to test weather food was fit to eat and also our nasty little habit of eating food on the hoof, discarding anything we do not consume on the street we would not have a problem with gulls or rats. To bastardise Parkinsons Law: Population expands to the limit of the available food.

Thread: The good bits coming out of the Covid epidemic
25/04/2020 12:56:08

Like a lot of people I buy second hand engineering gear from Ebay and for the most part I'm happy with what turns up at my door. But, hand on heart, I know a good proportion of it will have been "acquired" from various individuals/companies without their permission.

This situation is quiet a dilemma, because I would not buy such goods as I buy if offered to me by the proverbial 'bloke in the pub' on the grounds that the likelihood is it's stolen. But, I'm prepared to accept the word of someone who I don't know but owns a camera phone and a computer and can open an Ebay account and take him/her to be a honest dealer.

I shall now go to the police station and hand myself in as a receiver of stolen goods.

Guy

Thread: Campaign for real steel
24/04/2020 17:56:02

Many chain makers and nail makers in the Black Country worked from home, their forges being in the back yard, often women making the lighter chain, Around the turn of the 20c conditions and pay was so bad a parliamentary commission investigated the trade with little effect. Chain makers became known as 'The White Slaves of England' Good old days, as you say Terry for some.

Thread: Possible protection from Covid
04/04/2020 12:54:14
Posted by Dave Halford on 04/04/2020 10:06:46:
Posted by Guy Lamb on 03/04/2020 17:52:29:

Tried that, only made my hair grow.

In that case I want need one

I 've since cut my own hair due to the shut down, I now look like a cross between Able Magwitch and a very old Steiff Bear. Still it's not as if I'm going out any where soon.

Guy

03/04/2020 17:52:29

Tried that, only made my hair grow.

Thread: Is this guy nuts, or sensible.
29/03/2020 11:58:15

Vive la difference.

No harm done and his neighbours are well insulated from any nuisance he may cause.

Thread: Sanitizer
19/03/2020 09:44:25

I don't think COVID 19 is unique, it belongs to recognised group of virus. A program on R4 this week suggested that the Chinese appetite for live and exotic meat, in some cases harvested from S America and Africa and transported live has allowed pathogens to mix and mutate at 'Warm Meat' markets that would never normally come into contact with one another. Food for thought. No pun intended.

Guy

Thread: What sort of things inspire you?
22/02/2020 12:52:47

Wilf Lunn was probably the 'super predictor' of Steam Punk,

Guy

Thread: Wood store
11/02/2020 17:53:34

This is my excuse for never tidying up.

Thread: Looking for a good quality bench grinder
11/02/2020 17:50:21

I've had a Screwfix one (8" for 6 yrs and given it plenty to do, on offer at the time (around £30)

Thread: Old Computers - why do people bother
02/02/2020 19:37:44

To paraphrase Descartes, I consume therefore I am.

Thread: Why does everyone disagree with you
27/01/2020 12:49:09
Posted by Harry Wilkes on 27/01/2020 11:14:05:

Me I find it best to take no notice as long as it's not personal !

H

It's interesting to hear people talk about their experiences and perceived reactions to some of their postings on this site.

Perhaps because we are communicating via text and not face to face some nuances are misunderstood.

I agree with Harry in so much as if responses do not become personal then no harm is inferred.

There may be on occasions people enjoying a sense of 'one upmanship' but this says more about the respondent than the questioner in my opinion.

Guy

Thread: Ally Pally Exhibition
20/01/2020 18:05:09

I thought I was the only whinge-plate modeller in Britain, but there again I only do the much rarer right handed (or Dextera Utebatur) version.

And of course the only medium for the serious WP modeller now a days is toe nail clippings. Ear wax being so passe.

Thread: Arc Euro Trade website down
20/01/2020 17:50:57

It might be an age thing, but I can navigate my way through a catalogue to find what I'm looking for far faster than a web site.

Thread: Lathes as bling!
18/01/2020 17:38:25

Let China sleep, said Napoleon, for when she awakes the whole world will tremble.

Thread: magic 127 TOOTH ?
13/01/2020 12:52:27

My head hurts now. My blacksmiths brass rule only as 1/8" marked on it !

Guy

Thread: Plumbers Jointing Paste ???
12/12/2019 12:28:51

Boss White and Hemp was all town plumbers had to make a seal on water pipes before P.T.F.E came along. I've just renewed some cast iron down spouts on a period house and used Boss White and Hemp on all the joints - stays just movable enough for expansion. The Hemp used to be unpicked rope known as Oakum also used mainly in caulking ships timbers. Prisoners and Workhouse inmates 'Picked Oakum' resulting in bleeding fingers as part of their sentence.

Thread: Colchester Student Mk1 Won't Start
26/11/2019 23:02:38

Don't know if it's been mentioned but from memory Colchester students have a limit switch on the gearbox door, presumably to knock the power off if its opened whilst in motion. Might be worth checking.

Guy

Thread: flypress bench
23/11/2019 12:42:34

My fly press is mounted on a stand alone cast pedestal (on witch it came) and rag bolted down, found that best way to contain all the forces at play especially when using on hot work. It's simply to big a lump to risk coming down especially knowing how busy A & E is!

Guy

Thread: Good practice for lathe circuit design
02/11/2019 17:47:03

Also something to look at is the rating of the kettle leads (proper name IEC lead) as the same configuration can be used on computers etc and these are only rated 5 Amp. The danger being you put a higher rated fuse in the plug than the rated value of the lead. It's possible that a 5A rated lead would go pop before the 13A fuse has time to blow. Proper kettle leads are only 0.5 M long and have a half moon cut away to stop under rated leads being connected but this doesn't stop a kettle lead fused at 10A-13A being used to supply a computer and thereby over rating the fuse.

Having said all that most of the rest of the world does not use plug top fuses!

Guy

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest