By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Sakura

Here is a list of all the postings Sakura has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Welding precautions
16/07/2020 15:11:53
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 16/07/2020 14:45:05:

If fitting skin sills over the top of the originals (NOT good practice!) beware of foam filled sills and petrol pipes running through or alongside the sill.

+1

Thread: TOOLS EXPLAINED BY A DO-IT-YOUR SELFER
28/06/2020 18:07:41

Boy, you've been around tools for a while, just like me! And, I still keep buying them !!

Thread: BSA drop down centre stand
28/06/2020 11:20:23
Posted by Oily Rag on 27/06/2020 21:34:31:

Through the mists of time I seem to remember that this design was dropped because the stand had an alarming tendency to self deploy whilst the bike was in motion. Many moons ago I knew a BSA test rider and he told me he had these stands drop down on him and once it led to a nasty accident. This was on the prototype A7 with the plunger rear suspension and the single downtube frame. He had a shop in Grendon and later in Atherstone in North Warwickshire. Amongst his collection of bikes was an all alloy A7 engine in the later Gold Star style frame that he raced as a scrambler in the early 60's - went like stink that bike.

That certainly is the lore amongst classic bike enthusiasts.

27/06/2020 20:20:20
Posted by Emgee on 27/06/2020 18:24:39:

Is that round bar ?
You may be able to buy a piece of hardened rack that could be fixed to the bar, would save the hardening process.

Emgee

It's not actually a rack with gear form teeth, they're cut like a ratchet form. Easy to do with a slightly angle end mill.

Chris, my best guess was EN16 but I'm no materials expert.

27/06/2020 17:52:24

Hi,

The first BSA A7's had a strange centre stand that dropped out of the seat tube. It wasn't successful and only fitted to the first 1000 bikes. I have been asked to replicate one. The main support is made of 1.25" steel bar. It has two longitudinal flats leaving a raised centre section into which is cut a set of "teeth" for the ratchet to engage. It will need to be hardened after machining. What would be the best material for this and then what sort of heat treatment for the teeth? Any suggestions?

Thread: Damp proofing floor
07/06/2020 20:47:06

I'm sure some of you have dealt with this. What's the best surface sealer to stop damp coming through a concrete floor with no damp proof membrane.

Thread: Myford clutch
07/06/2020 16:10:19
Posted by David Jenner on 07/06/2020 16:04:31:

I've got one of these on my ML7 (1962 vintage), does anyone know where to get the shoes or the friction material?

Regards

Dave J

Villiers Services will reline brake shoes

Edited By Sakura on 07/06/2020 16:10:54

Thread: Stressing over numbers
27/05/2020 08:59:57

Exactly right Jason. People seem to forget how much excellent model engineering was carried out with a very average lathe, calipers and files.

26/05/2020 20:26:10

There was reason for apprenticeships, it was a learning time. Experience takes a long time to accumulate, I've been working in engineering for 55 years, every day is still a school day. I still get things wrong, sometimes things I shouldn't get wrong but that's engineering. A man once said to me " if you can get it right every time, stop doing this and go on the Stock Market, you'll make billions".

Thread: The innocence of youth
21/05/2020 09:21:44

Two Uni Engineering students walking together. Engineering student pushing bike, the other says " where did you get the bike?". First student replies: " well, you'll never believe this, I was just walking along when this beautiful girl rode up to me, threw the bike down, took off all her clothes and laid down on the ground and said: "take anything you want "so I took the bike". Second student:"good choice, the clothes probably wouldn't have fit you anyway!"thinking​​​​

Thread: Unknown thread
20/05/2020 22:11:58

Cycle or Brass depending on thread angle

Thread: A polite note to beginners from ARC
20/05/2020 18:13:15

I am a member of several technical forums. The members generally fall into similar types:

The very experienced in the subject who freely shares his hard earned experience

The know-it-all who does generally know what he's talking about but in a very condescending way to other lesser mortals

The know-it-all who won't accept any other point of view

The fairly experienced who wants to expand his knowledge

The beginner who wants to break into the subject but then starts to argue points with those more experienced

The beginner who wants to learn and is grateful for any help.

There are,of course, sub-divisions of all the above. I guess forums are just a reflection of everyday life.

Thread: Sharpening Files
13/05/2020 09:17:09

I have done it occasionally using battery acid (Sulphuric acid). It works well but getting hold of battery acid now is difficult after the recent acid throwing incidents and subsequent legislation.

Thread: Soba rotary table
12/05/2020 18:00:20

I have got two HV6 rotary tables. Both probably 20/25 years old. One is a Vertex and the other is a Criterion. The Criterion is to the usual Taiwanese pattern. A search on the Internet shows Criterion to be a quality manufacturer in larger sizes but this one is not of that type. Anybody with more info on Criterion?

Thread: Correcting a misaligned silver solder joint
10/05/2020 14:41:51

Silver soldering, using a Eutectic solder and powder flux. Never had any problems. Eutectic is probably not the same as J & M.

10/05/2020 14:08:22

Should be ok to clean, reflux and sweat together, adding a bit of solder if necessary. I've never had a problem doing this. When I join a handsaw blade I "tin" the two ends and just sweat together. If that holds, anything should.

Thread: Failure of Brass Bolts
05/05/2020 13:22:44

Tightening electrical connections is essential to stop sparking, overheating and a loose live wire. Therefore all good electricians ensure all connections are properly tight. As that is their way of working they are going to overtighten some fasteners occasionally.

Thread: Warco rc40 z axis play
27/04/2020 13:37:18

That should read Warco rf40 of course.

Edited By Sakura on 27/04/2020 13:37:37

27/04/2020 13:35:46

I know this a well known problem but is there a latest mod. The fine feed on the z axis has a huge amount of backlash, allowing the quill to drop unexpectedly. I have modified mine with a spring on the quill linked to the return spring and this does help. By using the quill lock as a brake and being careful it is usable, but not positive. Is there any way to improve things by removing the backlash between the worm that actually works, or any other way?

Edited By Sakura on 27/04/2020 13:36:38

Thread: Centre finding
24/04/2020 09:32:31

If you're using a wobbler, are you halving the diameter of the ball and zeroing the readout before entering width dimension?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
JD Metals
rapid Direct
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest