By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Grant Allen 1

Here is a list of all the postings Grant Allen 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Where can I get a 2 step pulley
16/05/2019 11:36:08

Hi all does any one know where I can get an aluminium 2 step pulley for the motor drive of my myford m type. I've searched but only come up with 3,4,5 step which are to big. If any one has one knocking around I'd gladly buy it.

I need a 14mm bore V belt A type pulley the smallest pulley around 32mm and the largest around 64mm.

Thread: Quick change tool post for myford mtype 31/2" long bed
13/05/2019 18:11:11

Brilliant cheers David. Did you have and issues, obviously I dont have a lathe to do out on till this is done. Its abit like the lead screw half nut cant make one the lathe and cant make one with out a lathe.

13/05/2019 17:04:09

Has anyone had any problems fitting a modern tool post to the slide carriage, any issues you've come across and if alls working fine which brand and type did you use?

I would just like to say all the help I've received on has been 1st class and has helped me and hopefully other people starting out in this field. teeth 2

Thread: Oil, lubricating the lathe
10/05/2019 09:09:56

Hello

Can someone advise on and recommend what oils are suitable for lubricating the different parts of the lathe?

Brands and iso so I can look them up please.

Thread: E.stop wiring
09/05/2019 16:25:23

Wired up with the e.stop in same box, reading the latest I'm running a .37kw motor so di I need to be concerned ?

I now need to know how to wire up an additional e.stop, going of Robert's advice would I replace the link wire with an e.stp?

09/05/2019 15:33:28
Posted by Andy Carruthers on 09/05/2019 14:41:59:

I have read your latest comment several times and am struggling to grasp what you mean

If you wire your switches as per photos and wiring schematic your wiring will be functionally correct and provide the best protection

I've wired it up to the diagram provided. The only thing I was trying to say was the extra e.stop that's 4ft away simply replaces the link wire then when pressed it would break the current, or have I got that wrong.

In relation to Mike's comment that's gone straight over my head. Please elaborate

09/05/2019 14:03:27

Following diagram which has been drawn. Any additional stops replace the small ink wire from 24 to A1 yes

09/05/2019 13:42:13

Doesnt that diagram put the live on the wrong side ?

09/05/2019 13:10:05

So...

Live in to e.stop next to kjd17 then to 13

Neut in to 23

Neut out 24

Live out 14

Extra stop 4ft away neut 24 link through e.stop back to A1 link.

09/05/2019 12:13:38

So I think I got this now,

power IN neutral to 13

Power IN live to 1st E.stop through and onto next E.stop through and back to 23

Power to motor live 24

Power to motor neut 14

And leave the link in place from A1 to 24

09/05/2019 10:47:42

So which terminals are live and neutral, this basic wiring is suggesting 13 and 24 are live, and 23 and 24 with a1 coming from the neutral out to the motor is this correct?

With relation to link wire is it this that runs from 24 through each stop button and back to A1 so if the circuit is pressed it cuts at any of the stops ?

09/05/2019 10:28:02

Hello I'm looking for guidance on wiring e.stops in to a new electrical, circuit. I have a inkling but just wanted reassurance or putting right.

I've got a kjd17 5 pin with a link on one of the terminals to the 5th pin. Supply in and supply out I get but where the separate link goes from the negative to A1, is this where I run E.Stops from taking the link of and running through every E.Stop and back to the terminal.?

I'm wondering why it's the negative wire I would of thought it would be the live, but I suppose the negative is just the return of live

Thread: Dol starter or just a plug is it really worth it?
26/04/2019 14:32:07

So, do I get a nvr switch or a single phase 240v dol starter with overload 2.3- 4 amps both are the same price both will have a 5amp plug on. So running a .37kw motor maybe wishing to add to an e stop and motor reverse switch would determine which one

Kedu nvr switch

Or

240v dol starter overload 2.3-4amps

26/04/2019 13:12:52

I have not ordered anything yet, as I keep coming back to the kedu brand switches, I used for so many things in the past and have never had any trouble. Looking at the dol switches I do agree its abit over the top but is that better to be or not. The only thing I'm unsure of is can you add a e.stop to one like mentioned in the post previous?

26/04/2019 11:18:48

Cheers for your help. Looking at being able to reverse the motor I assume would be not easy?? I've checked the induction motor and you can wire it to rotate both ways but only by changing connecting rods to different pins.

26/04/2019 10:54:56

Brilliant thanks Nick. I'll place an order for a dol switch with overload of 2-5 amp that should cover everything. I already have an e.stop so I'll have to work out hove to wire that in when its here. I assume a plug on the other end is a suitable way of turning power of to the machine surely it wouldn't require a main isolation switch?

26/04/2019 10:42:38

Thanks for that Ian for that advise. I'll look for a dol with a 2-5 amp overload. Would a nvr be an extra or does the dol starter act as one ?

26/04/2019 10:21:09

Hi Ian theres one going on Ebay that 3-5 amps would this be suitable or is it too high. It's a brook crompton one ?

26/04/2019 10:09:34

The motor I'm using has a full load of 2.53 amps, so do I stick to a range ie 2-5 amps overload or would say upto 7 amps be suitable if I decide to change the motor.?

26/04/2019 10:04:18

Would this be a practical solution or should it be a dol starter

https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-nvr-switch-c-w-box-230v-1ph-340181

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest