By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy Carruthers

Here is a list of all the postings Andy Carruthers has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: WHERE ARE THE SHAPER USERS ?
10/02/2019 11:00:07

Exactly my thoughts, hence I have replaced all wiring. I do use the same crimps but ensure the right diameter crimp (in this case Red) are used and I also solder the wire to the terminal after crimping

Unless three is a better way which I am not aware of?

Thread: In search of Peter Rawlinson
10/02/2019 09:22:53

I for one would love to purchase hard copy, please message if copies are available

Thank you for taking the time to message too

Thread: Hi from North Lincolnshire
09/02/2019 21:41:02

Hi Philip, welcome - I'm near Scunthorpe and have a Tom Senior M1 to which I recently added a DRO and speed sensor, slowly learning to use my lathe and mill, hopefully the shaper soon too

09/02/2019 21:36:21

Rewiring was going well until i found this nasty little bodge tucked up out of sight

invictra shaper wiring bodge.jpg

6" of wire from the choccy block to the motor

invicta shaper motor.jpg

Yes, the motor is sat on a safe, I must tidy my work surfaces...

When the wiring was removed, a crimp fell off too

invicta shaper motor wiring.jpg

Motor reinstalled, I need to read the manual on tensioning the drive belt tomorrow, the second NVR specifically for the shaper also needs finishing then it is onto setting up and testing

Thread: Overload trip
09/02/2019 10:18:20

Just before go and sit in the corner... would a shear-pin work?

09/02/2019 09:58:24

Last night I removed the old electrics and started to install NVRs, one as a master inbound cut-off to the sockets and a second for the shaper itself. The old contactor was 3 phase (badly) rewired for single phase working and IMHO it makes no sense to have the on / off switch at shin height in line with the moving ram head, 'elf & safety should have stopped that

Anyway, more to do...

Edited By Andy Carruthers on 09/02/2019 10:08:18

Thread: Division Master (Stepper Motor Dividing)
09/02/2019 09:52:00

Counts as exercise in my book, and lovely job well done too

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
09/02/2019 09:49:33

Nice modification Tim, I may just copy your idea - thanks for posting

08/02/2019 16:41:18

Inspired by YouTube videos from Ade's Workshop I modded my WM180

1. Stripped down, cleaned and lubricated the WM180
  2. Drilled two 5mm holes to allow easy access to the top slide swivel
  3. Fitted a 65mm fan to the end of the motor
  4. Fitted NVR and wired extension block
  5. Modified splash plate to give 88mm more room behind the lathe

None of the above has improved my technical ability, but I felt good afterwards, and not surprisingly, so did the lathe

Thread: WM180 Saddle adjustment
06/02/2019 09:15:24

Same mod on WM180 except tighter clearance - nicely done too

06/02/2019 08:50:31

I switched mine on briefly for the first time the other day, she has been sat awaiting time to sort a few issues out - not the least of which is a broken switch box which renders the machine live when plugged in

Thread: Where to begin?
06/02/2019 08:40:52

YouTube - Free tutorials on a wealth of subjects

Udemy - Paid for self-paced courses, some are very inexpensive

Don't discount Tinkercad for ease of use, there is a Metric Gear tool to be found in the "Shape Generator" section which is very useful indeed - I just printed a 40T Mod 1 20PA gear (all these are configurable) to match against my WM180 backset gear

Thread: WM180 Saddle adjustment
06/02/2019 08:34:01

Have a look for Ades Workshop on YouTube - he has a new WM180 and is doing some impressive mods to his machine

In fairness to Warco, the WM 180 is an entry level machine and 3 years in I'm beginning to discover the limitations, hopefully this year I will upgrade to a Boxford / Colchester / Harrison - but I can dream

I'm sure you have discovered the saddle lock - I replaced mine with a hex head bolt with lever for ease of use rather than move the cross slide to access the recessed cap head bolt

Thread: Metal supplies
05/02/2019 16:09:08

I'm struggling to source small quantities of Aluminium rod, offcuts in preference up to 130mm diameter for gears - cheap is good

As an aside, this chap in Atherstone is selling 25Kg steel billet / rod offcuts - https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/myldanautodesignltd?ul_noapp=true

Any advice please?

05/02/2019 14:32:49

invicta shaper.jpg

Thread: Cutting dovetails in cast iron
05/02/2019 10:13:19

Not being an expert on this and having cut only two dovetails recently here's my $0.02 worth...

I suspect the best approach is to use an end mill to remove the hard outer layer and cut to depth / near desired width of dovetail after which cutting the actual dovetail should be easier. I did mine with a series of progressive cuts to approach final size with several trial fits as I approached final dimensions

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2019
02/02/2019 20:36:23

Hats off to you all!

Far beyond my capability - I did manage to make a dovetail tool holder for my QCTP without breaking anything though, which is an schievement in itself

Thread: Hi from South Yorkshire machinist
02/02/2019 20:29:05

Ah local knowledge...

I am near Scunthorpe and haven't found a local club yet - maybe I haven't looked hard enough?

Thread: Testing for isolation
01/02/2019 22:22:51

All well and good to check circuits have discharged using a brinkley stick before touching high voltage. I used to work on RADAR with 28.5kV for EHT to the Magnetron, after power down, we would test the brinkley stick (100 ohm resistor to earth) before use - but none of us ever tested after each individual use, there were several points to "de-bollock" before work commenced

Occasionally the resistor would need replacing before first use, meaning the resistor had blown at some point

01/02/2019 16:18:54

Half a lifetime ago I worked on a valve Non-Directional Beacon and managed to get 3 belts within 30 minutes, each one hurt more than the first

Not doing that again

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest