By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy Carruthers

Here is a list of all the postings Andy Carruthers has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Surplus subjects learnt at school.
22/07/2019 14:24:10

@Howi - I enjoy work tremendously so why would I look forward to giving up something I genuinely love?

I have plenty of things to fill my time so I'm not concerned about being bored

Thread: How badly do I need a surface plate?
22/07/2019 12:09:26

Thanks Dave, very helpful

I'm making 6 similar items which do not need to be absolutely dimensionally accurate but must pass visible muster, so far I don't need a high precision flat surface and caliper measurements are just fine

I'm glad I am not the only one who uses the 'fitting' approach, I haven't yet needed to machine anything to tight tolerance but that's probably because I don't make models - but I have enormous respect for those who do

However, I did pick up an unused granite cutting board yesterday "just in case", I hate Sod's Law...

Thread: What mills have you had
22/07/2019 11:59:30

Tom Senior M1 - Retrofitted DRO and rev counter, investigating X axis motor for both left and right. Needs a proper control panel and lighting rather than the eclectic kit of parts slung together

Thread: What lathes have you had?
22/07/2019 11:54:12

WM180 - Somewhat modified and my regular use lathe

WM240 - Need to fix or replace the motor and I expect this will either be sold or become my regular use machine

I will upgrade one to ELS when Clough42 produces his kit

Thread: Surplus subjects learnt at school.
22/07/2019 11:41:40

The subjects I enjoyed most were those taught by engaging personable teachers with a genuine concern for their pupils and where the subject matter coincided with my own admittedly narrow personal interests. Despite an interrupted secondary education - two grammar schools with a comprehensive in the middle - I was always destined to be a Jack of All trades

How I wish the Internet had been widely available and accessible 10 years before it was, I try to learn "something new" every day - I dread the prospect of retiring but welcome the prospect of being able to spend time on things I enjoy

Thread: Aircraft radio scanner
15/07/2019 14:07:57

Two frequencies of particular interest are the distress ones: 121.5MHz and 243.0MHz

Don't ever transmit on these by mistake as the transmitter will be pinpointed by direction finders

Thread: Hemswell Cliff, Lincs
08/07/2019 10:54:06

Hemswell is hit-and-miss - it's a place I regularly visit particularly the car boot, often there is a chap selling engineering stuff and another selling offcuts. Usually the good stuff coincides with the Antiques fair at Newark Showground

Not forgetting the weather, it is Lincolnshire after all...

Thread: Using a lathe
01/07/2019 13:33:31

A friend of mine is a Managing Director in an investment bank, he tells me his bonus is tied to the number and severity of outages in his domain. His simple answer is to tightly scrutinize all changes and reject all but the absolute minimum ie mandatory software upgrades, patches and functional changes his business users scream for

Risk management is more about perception than reality, as many risks cannot be quantified, no change does not equal no risk, but for some, it's close enough

It is impossible to impart a healthy respect for machinery unless one becomes hands-on familiar with its operation and potential dangers, we are not doing the next generations any favours by keeping them away from perceived dangers, much better they hang around the streets causing mischief...

Thread: Multi faceted drill bits - really necessary?
27/06/2019 10:55:54

@Andrew Lyner - you make an excellent point

I dipped my toe in the water with an inexpensive lathe to see if I would like the hobby, as a consequence, bought cheap and made some "bad" purchases initially, I like to think I am making better purchases now primarily from reading posts here

Back on topic - thanks to those posters imparting information - appreciated, I now have Dormer A002 on my wish list

Thread: Electronic Noise and ARDUINO
21/06/2019 14:27:54

Are you using screened cables between sensor and Arduino? I suspect pickup on cables

Thread: Easy Button Die Storage Solution
20/06/2019 11:15:02

Good idea, well executed

Thread: Model aircraft pilots angry over drone laws
06/06/2019 13:14:22

Just seen this on BBC News

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48541783

Thread: Warco GH600
05/06/2019 22:39:58

I'm sure you have seen several threads on "What lathe to buy" on this forum already

From my limited experience, it would be helpful to know the proposed use, do you intend to work on motorbikes or scale model engines for example - what do you mean by "smallish parts"?

Warco have an open day this coming weekend (I think)

Here's my thoughts on my WM180: https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=141354

Edited By Andy Carruthers on 05/06/2019 22:41:09

Thread: Use a router for a mortice lock
31/05/2019 15:00:20

Souber mortice attachment for drill, it's what the pros use

Alternatively, mallet and chisel after boring out for the body of the lock

Thread: Tom Senior spindle bearing lubrication
30/05/2019 14:50:11

According to the manual I have for M1 and Major:

Slides, Feedscrews, General Lubrication - Shell Vitrea Oil 33 / Castrol Perfecto NN / BP Energol HP30

Gearbox - Shell Vitrea Oil 37 / Castrol Perfecto RR / BP Energol HP40

Spindle Bearings - Shell Alvania Oil 3 / Castrol Spheerol A.P.3 / BP Energrease L.S. 3

Vertical Head, Rotary Table - Shell Alvania Oil 2 / Castrol Spheerol A.P.3 / BP Energrease L.S. 3

Thread: Chernobyl TV Series
29/05/2019 11:49:29

Thoroughly gripping story brilliantly depicted, deserves every accolade, makes very uncomfortable but unmissable viewing

Enjoy is the wrong word, but I certainly appreciate this series and hope there is a follow-up on the long term effects and cleanup efforts

And maybe a series on Fukushima too

Thread: DC motor + speed controller
25/05/2019 20:13:48

Check out YouTube - Clough42 - developing an electronic lead screw

Thread: Lathe improvements?
23/05/2019 19:26:37

There’s a chap just started a series on DIY ELS on YouTube - search for Clough42, makes very interesting viewing. He explains the issues very well and is developing the series as he goes, for example, has moved on from stepper to hybrid stepper / servo motor. I’m waiting for him to complete the series then either purchase a kit or plans depending upon how he chooses to monetise his IPR. His electronics knowledge is deeper than mine and has already saved me from wasting a lot of time, what’s more, it looks like his software is available under an open source licence

Thread: Oh Dear, I've blown the chop saw...
23/05/2019 16:43:15

You could measure resistance across commutator windings to satisfy your curiosity but frankly it's dead and needs to go to Silicon heaven

Thread: Unknown tool
23/05/2019 09:56:26

Let's hope it isn't British Steel, Scunthorpe, on my doorstep, but I work in London!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Meridienne Sept 2019
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest