By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy Carruthers

Here is a list of all the postings Andy Carruthers has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Seeking advice on suitable lathe
09/09/2019 09:57:56

In view of the number of operations to be carried out you might consider a capstan lathe - one that has several tools mounted on a rotating capstan in the tail stock. This would greatly simplify tool changes and increase both productivity and repeatabili8ty but at the expense of reducing available bed space which probably isn't of great importance for the work you anticipate carrying out

Thread: How to upset the neighbours!
09/09/2019 09:28:32

'Tis a thing of beauty!

Thread: Need help with wiring
04/09/2019 15:28:57

Assuming these are the 3 wires:

Brown - Probably +12v

Black - Probably 0v

Yellow / Green - Earth

Measure resistance between Brown and Black, should be a few (tens?) ohms

Assuming low - but NOT zero - resistance, try putting a car battery across Brown and Black, just touch the terminals and see if the motor twitches in the right direction, if not, reverse the wires and retry

Thread: Non ABS pipe glue recommendation please
04/09/2019 13:56:15

Thanks for all the advice - Martin's suggestion of Devcon did the trick, I stumbled across a tube at a car boot this weekend, wouldn't have known what I was looking at without this top tip

Hot tub holds 4 people therefore lots of water pressure, so far the repair has held up

27/08/2019 17:22:55

Outlet pipe for hot tub snapped when moving hot tub, I've tested with Acetone but no joy, plastic is hard white with almost ceramic like texture and brittleness

Replacing the pipe isn't an option unless I absolutely have no choice so I'm looking for a glue recommendation please

Thread: Hieroglyphics on a Wehlen & Co clock face
14/08/2019 13:40:15

Likewise I am intrigued - and agree it's a bit of a punt with regard to proofreader marks

As for the lasting impression, it may be the markup paint reacted with the white base and over time "developed" despite the markup being removed after lettering was applied, I'm not a chemist...

Happy to be proven wrong on all counts, simply offering some thoughts

14/08/2019 10:37:15

Is it possible the annotations are a combination of proofreader marks and manufacturer code?

This site suggests the three horizontal strikes are for capitalizing: **LINK**

Thread: End Mill Sharpening of Helical Flutes
13/08/2019 11:46:56

I am interested Tony...

Thread: Blown Fuse
13/08/2019 10:56:35

Is it possible the flash when viewed was behind the tool ie within the motor casing which from the viewing angle gave the impression of being at the tool tip?

An arc sufficient to blow the fuse should have left some mark on the tool tip and work item

Thread: What method do you use to find center height for your lathe bit?
09/08/2019 11:49:26

Thank you Danny, I've just ground one up and tested on brass, excellent finish with long swarf finer than a hair

Thread: Serious question, What is a Mini Lathe?
08/08/2019 11:22:58

Isn't "quality" subjective?

Not being picky, pedantic or looking for a fight - I can't afford / justify a top quality lathe or mill yet, I set my expectations on what I can achieve accordingly and as commented, my WM180 is far more capable than I am which points to the "quality" of product this operator produces, not the "quality" of the machine I use

Taking a more extreme view, the pdf recently attached explaining what Japanese POWs produced is simply astounding and far more impressive than anything I can produce - that's what I call quality

08/08/2019 10:00:05

The Chinese are very good at taking a long term view, sometimes several generations

India is unlikely to become a large scale manufacturing centre for the simple reason the country lacks natural resources - no Oil, Iron ore etc. Whilst China import huge volumes of raw resource, their command economy, centrally planned infrastructure, opaque financial investments and currency manipulation give huge commercial advantage to local producers

And back to the original question lest this be a thread drift too far...

I think Dave hit the nail on the head with his definition

Frankly I don't care what my lathe (WM180) is classified as, it's what I have to hand (until I fix the WM240) so it is the best available to me. I'm still learning and the lathe is way more competent than I am, doesn't stop me wanting a bigger, better lathe though

Thread: smooth cut in brass
01/08/2019 16:56:33

Mike - are you using TC tipped or HSS tool? Please attach a photo

What speed are you running the lathe at when approaching 12mm diameter?

What depth of cut are you attempting?

@Zan - beat me to it!

Edited By Andy Carruthers on 01/08/2019 16:57:24

Thread: Another knurling tool
01/08/2019 09:19:07

Thanks for showcasing your knurling tool David, your design may very well solve an issue as I am considering making a new knurling tool myself

Thread: My new lathe a Warco 918
29/07/2019 15:13:14

Yeah I guess so, the display itself is digital though the function is RPM whereas DRO (IMHO) is synonymous with distance measurement, at least, that's how I think of it...

Honest guv, I'm not trying to join the pedant club, I know too little

29/07/2019 14:54:33

RPM not DRO?

Thread: Surplus subjects learnt at school.
22/07/2019 14:24:10

@Howi - I enjoy work tremendously so why would I look forward to giving up something I genuinely love?

I have plenty of things to fill my time so I'm not concerned about being bored

Thread: How badly do I need a surface plate?
22/07/2019 12:09:26

Thanks Dave, very helpful

I'm making 6 similar items which do not need to be absolutely dimensionally accurate but must pass visible muster, so far I don't need a high precision flat surface and caliper measurements are just fine

I'm glad I am not the only one who uses the 'fitting' approach, I haven't yet needed to machine anything to tight tolerance but that's probably because I don't make models - but I have enormous respect for those who do

However, I did pick up an unused granite cutting board yesterday "just in case", I hate Sod's Law...

Thread: What mills have you had
22/07/2019 11:59:30

Tom Senior M1 - Retrofitted DRO and rev counter, investigating X axis motor for both left and right. Needs a proper control panel and lighting rather than the eclectic kit of parts slung together

Thread: What lathes have you had?
22/07/2019 11:54:12

WM180 - Somewhat modified and my regular use lathe

WM240 - Need to fix or replace the motor and I expect this will either be sold or become my regular use machine

I will upgrade one to ELS when Clough42 produces his kit

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Advertise With Us
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest