By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy Carruthers

Here is a list of all the postings Andy Carruthers has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: DC motor + speed controller
25/05/2019 20:13:48

Check out YouTube - Clough42 - developing an electronic lead screw

Thread: Lathe improvements?
23/05/2019 19:26:37

There’s a chap just started a series on DIY ELS on YouTube - search for Clough42, makes very interesting viewing. He explains the issues very well and is developing the series as he goes, for example, has moved on from stepper to hybrid stepper / servo motor. I’m waiting for him to complete the series then either purchase a kit or plans depending upon how he chooses to monetise his IPR. His electronics knowledge is deeper than mine and has already saved me from wasting a lot of time, what’s more, it looks like his software is available under an open source licence

Thread: Oh Dear, I've blown the chop saw...
23/05/2019 16:43:15

You could measure resistance across commutator windings to satisfy your curiosity but frankly it's dead and needs to go to Silicon heaven

Thread: Unknown tool
23/05/2019 09:56:26

Let's hope it isn't British Steel, Scunthorpe, on my doorstep, but I work in London!

Thread: sieg mill: normal chuck or collet chuck?
23/05/2019 08:28:57

Collet chucks with many contact points are more secure and accurate ie tool holding is repeatable and centred whereas normal drill chuck with 3 contact points has more variation therefore less accurate

Personally I use a collet chuck in my mill, a small additional cost for significant benefits

Thread: Hobbymat MD200
19/05/2019 21:24:53

I can’t comment on what Warco machines are most popular - I saw a WM150 on eBay recently. Give Warco a call - there are several machine agents with stock worth calling too. If I were in your position, I would want to try first, I got lucky and don’t regret my purchase.

Heres the thread I alluded to earlier: https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=141354

Edited By Andy Carruthers on 19/05/2019 21:30:30

19/05/2019 21:04:58

Have a look at Warco WM150, might suit your need

Naturally there are limitations with smaller machines - but we all start somewhere and (almost) any lathe is better than no lathe at all - I say almost because a badly worn lathe won’t deliver the results you are looking for

19/05/2019 19:44:45

Having bought a second-hand WM180 a few years ago to see if I would like tinkering with a lathe I managed to stumble upon a decent lathe at the right price. Somewhere on this forum I put my thoughts down, I am certainly no expert, best advice is to try a few lathes and see what suits you best

Warco have an open day soon where they will have 2nd hand lathes available

Thread: Fake Websites
18/05/2019 21:34:36

The problem is not restricted to any one industry

There are several companies who purport to be local or national locksmith companies who are anything but. Emergency Response Group (ERG), Able and others advertise as national companies with local branches and provide cover via subcontractors. Typically the subbies get 40-50% of the service charge paid 30-60 days after invoice at month end and lumbered with all warranty work FOC

Thread: E.stop wiring
10/05/2019 08:16:42

One further consideration is to fuse the appliance correctly, this formula applies to AC and DC

Power (Watts) = Volts * Current (Amps)

@Grant - you should put a 2A fuse in the appliance plug, always put the closest commonly available fuse to match the power load. If an overload situation occurs, the fuse protects the rest of the components

0.37kW = 220V * 1.68A

Now there are variations to the rule, startup load may exceed minimum fuse rating, but in general, the principle holds true and slow-blow fuses are available too

Whatever you do, don't leave 13A fuses supplied in (almost) all domestic appliances, calculate the appropriate fuse value first

09/05/2019 16:19:13

Mike - You are right - on reflection, the E Stop Switch current rating is 12A @250V so unlikely to be damaged with the loads I have

09/05/2019 14:41:59

I have read your latest comment several times and am struggling to grasp what you mean

If you wire your switches as per photos and wiring schematic your wiring will be functionally correct and provide the best protection

09/05/2019 13:50:08

The diagram reflects the wiring in the photos and correctly represents how the Emergency Stop Switch protects the KJD 17 and Load

Please PM if you think there is an issue, always willing to be educated

09/05/2019 13:33:49

wiring diagram.jpg

Assumes terminal post numbers are correct from the above information

The "hold on" relay is internally wired to Neutral, just needs a Live supply to A1

Edited By Andy Carruthers on 09/05/2019 13:34:36

Edited By Andy Carruthers on 09/05/2019 13:40:46

09/05/2019 13:05:45

Robert is right

You want to protect the KDJ17 switch by putting the E Stop Switch first, this is shown in the middle of the three pictures, live feed to the left, live output to KDJ17 in bottom picture

Hitting E Stop Switch must prevent all live feed to downstream circuitry

09/05/2019 11:07:00

neutral side.jpgemergency stop.jpglive side.jpg

09/05/2019 10:39:26

Hi Grant

Assuming you have fed live through the NC connections of an emergency stop switch (if fitted)

A1 is the "hold on" supply for the No Volt Release

Feed live to pin 23 - when Green button is pressed, without live to A1 the live supply will drop out as soon as the Green button is released

Link pin 24 to A1 taking live to your motor, if mains drops out, the "hold on" drops out rendering the circuit safe

Thread: fly cutter or face mill
08/05/2019 14:32:55

What speed are you running the (presumably) HSS cutter at?

How deep are your cuts?

I had problems with TC tools as I was running too slow, TC should be (roughly) twice the speed of HSS

Thread: Shackerstone - Battlefield Line - Outside storage
08/05/2019 08:33:58

FWIW I have emailed to enquire about the machinery, no reply yet...

07/05/2019 09:05:28

Strange that a railway struggling for revenue hasn't sold these machines...

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest