By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy Carruthers

Here is a list of all the postings Andy Carruthers has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: ISO Container for Workshop
30/06/2020 14:37:58

Wow thanks for all the great advice here

@Dave W - our paths crossed, I was at Mt Alice in 1988 and lived in ISOs whilst there

30/06/2020 06:00:09

House move soon has led me to think about how to shift my small workshop. I am thinking to buy an ISO lorry container probably 8ft x 40ft as I expect a second move in a few years time therefore portability is a further consideration. I’m prepared to fit out the container myself as a project and can store my tools in the mean time

Has anyone done this, I expect condensation to be a consideration so I’ll line it, your thoughts please

Thread: Under Radar Lathe upgrade
26/06/2020 23:06:37

Niels - you won’t get rich selling upgrade kits but you might make money offering an upgrade service

As much as I like the idea I suspect the modification is beyond my current ability

I’m in awe of your ambition, dedication and capability, well done!

Thread: WM180 lathe
17/06/2020 15:26:15

Hi Bernard,

I have a WM180 and haven’t found the need to shorten tail stick tooling

Can you give an example where this might be needed?

Thread: choosing a lathe
07/06/2020 16:22:05

I made a mistake of buying Tungsten Carbide braised tooling at the outset which has remained unused along with a green grinding wheel

I also went on an Axminster lathe course which was invaluable for learning the basics

Its worth seeing if there is anyone local who can introduce you to their lathe and explain some of the practicalities and advice in general

Thread: Experimental Vibration Analysis of a WM280 Lathe
24/05/2020 20:39:42

Dave - do you have a tone generator to test your microphone response characteristics?

Might help eliminate false positives

Thread: The sneering detractors
24/05/2020 18:44:04

Thanks for posting this thread Bob

I read this forum with interest, always something to pique my interest. I certainly don’t get everything right even with excellent advise given here - mostly I don’t have enough experience or foundation in the basics. But I do try and sometimes surprise myself, I’d rather try and fail than not try at all, at least I get into the workshop when opportunity permits and make some swarf

There are many whose posts I prefer, and a few I skip over, life is too short to get caught up on trivia

Thread: Help required to select correct replacement Relay
20/04/2020 09:49:09

Occams Razor - the simplest solution is always the best

I would go with direct replacement otherwise I have to ensure the replacement meets or exceeds the original item specification and modify wiring which from experience is time consuming and makes the fix non-standard, in years to come I don't have to remember what I did!

20/04/2020 09:33:27

IN4001 is a power device used in bridge rectifiers and the like (as opposed to a signal diode) and can be replaced with 1N4002-4 etc, these are pennies to buy

MPS A14 031 appears to be a Darlington NPN Transistor, high gain low power so not used to drive the relay, most likely to provide signal back to a control circuit - I am guessing behaviour based upon transistor characteristics

I think you have found the problem though - the relay itself

Thread: New members
20/04/2020 09:26:56

Welcome Paul, lots of excellent advice to be found here

A mill is an excellent investment, I have a Tom Senior which is more than capable for my limited bodging needs and I'm learning all the time

A lot can be achieved on the lathe, have a look on YouTube for Ade's Workshop, well worth spending some time admiring his inventive approach on a small lathe - WM180

20/04/2020 09:04:39

Grizzly bear offers good advice

Having looked at the pdf, yours is 1 Form C (Z) on the last page which looks to be compatible with a standard 12v relay, just be aware there are various standard 12v automotive relays!

If considering a replacement, from the pdf, the coil resistance is 130 ohms +/- 10% with current requirement of at least 12 A - that is, when the contacts are closed (NC) the replacement relay contacts must handle a minimum of 12A

I presume you have swapped the relays over (after checking they are identical) to see whether the fault moves? I expect this will be the case given your comment on intermittent operation but will confirm all other components are working ok

I did find this relay on eBay: https://www.ebay.fr/itm/163857213519 Please check the pinouts and unfortunately I don't speak French but it *might* be the right part

Thread: Electronic Lead Screw Project
20/04/2020 08:46:30

Hi Phil, I have a WM180 and WM240, sadly not available to work on right now - I am very interested to see how you implement the ELS Mod as I expect I can blag your work, please!

17/04/2020 18:42:47

To test the resistors desolder one leg from the board and measure across component otherwise a false reading may occur

More likely to be diode, transistor or capacitor than resistor

If the transistors are NPN or PNP these can be tested in same way as diodes from base to emitter then base to collector, one way will conduct, reverse the leads and recheck which should not conduct

However, there are various other types of transistor ie FET, UJT etc which may not give the results you expect

If replacing polarity conscious capacitors make sure they are replaced in the correct orientation

17/04/2020 12:27:27

Have you considered a replacement unit from a car breaker? Most likely the units are generic off the shelf so may be found in various makes and models

Thread: Tom Senior light X Axis power feed
09/04/2020 19:58:40

Thanks Jason I should have looked at photos first

Personally I can’t see anything wrong with the mod which Steve has produced, unless I am mistaken, there doesn’t seem to be an issue with removing and restoring back to original if desired

I am not a qualified mechanical engineer nor professional machinist, I purely enjoy my hobby and am developing my skills as time permits, learning from many people here

And for what it is worth, I have modified my WM180 to improve usability and safety, at the end of the day I have enjoyed every minute too

It may be unpopular to say so, but hats off to you Steve for making the effort and for showcasing your mod

08/04/2020 05:17:26

Hi Steve,

Would you please post photos showing how the motor is connected to the X drive?

Thread: Minilathe/Mill motors
29/03/2020 20:37:23

I have SCR controlled bridge on my Warco WM180 and WM240 lathes, the only difference is a pluggable resistor. However, one board blew and from memory I replaced the SCRs with 20A versions instead of 10A as originally fitted

Thread: Lathe lighting
06/12/2019 08:53:08

I picked up some small LED panel lamps at a car boot and mounted them on the shelf above the lathe, one fixed, one on a flexible arm, they work very well - cheap as chips too

Thread: Tom Senior M1 mill
05/12/2019 19:59:28

Apologies, my last statement should have read ...normal right to left travel

05/12/2019 19:19:24

Hi Peter,

Assuming your Mill does not have the S Type head with independent motor then X axis power drive is right to left only

With S Type head and VFD to main drive the X axis can be reversed as well as normal left to right travel

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest