By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Werner Schleidt

Here is a list of all the postings Werner Schleidt has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Blown Fuse
14/08/2019 15:39:11

The surpressing capacitors have three lines two for the mains and one for earth. this make them effectiv for surpressing. The shortage is in the capacitor direct from main to earth.

As it happen to me there was such a thunder that I could not recognize anything other special things.

Werner

14/08/2019 11:58:14

Hello,

I had in my workshop some drill machines and the lamps with surpressor main capacitors. They worked very fine till an age of 20 years then they fail with a shortage of the mains. The capacitor had a self healing feature. That means after the first shortage the blown the plastic film in the capacitor gets very hot and build a new film. The film is thinner then before an after some time it happens again. And in the time between you find with normal measurement possibillities no fault. You have to have a meter which measure the quiscent current at a high test voltage and this is expensive. I cut them out and make bridges or put some in with a higher voltage.

The next is the harmonizing of the main voltage of 220 V to 230 V for the first look no big difference, but they change the tolerance, as I know before 220 V +- 10 % and then 230 V + 10% . In our house with solar on the roof we have till 256 Volt main voltage. The suppresor capacitors have a print on of 220 V, it is only a question of time when they fail.

Werner

Thread: Regulator improvements
17/07/2019 15:30:55

Is the tube with the holes in the boiler removeable?.

A friend with an vertical boiler on sentinel elephant had the problem with much water in the steam.

The steam engine had not a good performance. He took the steam in the boiler with a tube with many holes around.

My theorie was that the water bubbles can good go through the holes. I told him to make a tube with small saw cuts with the same surface as the tube had with the holes. My idea was that the water bubbles were craked as they want to move through the small saw cuts.

My Friend changed this pipe and he was very happy with the performance then. And you can hear it that the steam engine runs much more with dry steam.

Werner

16/07/2019 17:44:20

What kind of water do you use ? is it very soft?

I use filtered rain water with good sucsess. I was some time a go at a club track and they had super soft water. During driving the water came out of the chimney and I thought there is a damage.

With rain water at our club track after 5 Liter of use the loco ran normal again.

Werner

Thread: from a 3.5 inch Gezina to 5 inch tramway Plettenberg locomotive
05/07/2019 12:58:44

Hello all ,

I think the knowledge base how indicator diagrams look like in the model range is small. The diagrams of big locomotives are more common.

I found these diagrams in a 100 years old thesis.

Tis one is more like the pulications I know .

It is from a Ball type engine

ithessist ball.jpg

And this one from a robinson engine.

ithessist robinson.jpg

The robinson type looks more like my model engine.

It will be interesting to have a knowledge base and more than the loco runs good.

Werner

04/07/2019 20:00:40

Hello all,

I made now the tests with steam. Steam tests are more complicated with my one man show. Where I have 3 jobs locomotive driver, video guy and measuring man.

In the measuring files I saw that the mesurement have to collect with dry steam and warm cylinders .Otherwise there are some peaks in the pressure measurements. You can see that in the pressure displacement curves over time. With warm cylinders the steam measurements are comparable to the air pressure diagrams. With this small model with wet steam and small pressure is this my finding.

With super heating and high pressure it is different I think. The next thing is ,the small model have no intensiv cut off in the steering.

i1.jpg

i2.jpg

i3.jpg

i4.jpg

i5.jpg

My conclusion is to set the link motion and to control it it is Ok to do it air pressure this makes it more comfortable. I all is in good condition a steam test make sense. and doing all alone on a small track is not advisable. The test have tob done with more load.

In the video I found a mistake the last diagram was made with steam not with air.

I made a short video of all .

Over the winter I have to look if I can speed up my measurement system to a higher data rate. The rate of 96 measurements per second is Ok ,but multiplied by 2 ore 3 is better. But at the time now it is difficult to handle the amount of data. It is advisable to think about a procedure for the work.

I hope you can enjoy my work

Werner

Edited By Werner Schleidt on 04/07/2019 20:07:21

01/07/2019 11:05:03

Hello all,

I want to update some findings.

I looked in the theortical steam diagrams and so I had some doubts about my measurements.

I double check the electronic and all was correct. The doubt came up ,because the pressure at the beginning have to be high and then a steady phase and then To the end lower pressure.

In my measurements it is more in the opposit direction. So I asked me where this come from. The only involved part is the exentric. I measured the excentric and compared it to the 3,5 inch Gezina drawing. I saw there is an error in the dimension. It have to be 19.5 mm and it was 18 mm. I looked more into the system and had the opinion that 21 mm are correct. So I made new excentrics with 21 mm.

Than I test the loco with pressured air. In the first step the steam engine runs in forward direction much smoother than before . Backwards it was not so good but better as before.

I decided then to measure with pressured air to see how it changes.

indikator nh vw voll.jpg

this looks now more as a "Zeunert" Diagram . The pressure comes from the beginning some steady phase and a pressure drop to the end.

The steam engine runs smooth under this condition. With the reverse lever one step to the middle position it looks like the following picture.

indikator nh vw ez.jpg

The engine runs faster with less air usage, so the pressure increased a little bit,but the engine runs not so smooth as before.

In backwards direction the engine behaviour is not so good. The pressure increased to the end of the travel and the timming is not correct.

indikator nh rw voll.jpg

But it is better as before the change.

indikator nh rw ez.jpg

With the reverse lever to the middle position there was some compression to the end of travel. The engine behaviour is not so smooth as forward.

After the mesurements I change the position of the exentric a little and the behaviour was then better.

In the next days I will make a test run under steam to see how comparable is the experience with air to steam.

With steam it have to be much better. But if the principle adjustment with air is the same as with steam it is more easy to do and to measure.

Werner

25/06/2019 18:14:15

Hello all,

I made a documentation video of my tests.

Werner
25/06/2019 17:59:00

Hello all,

I had some work on a hot day with more than 30°C. Since some time agao I worked on a mesurement test equipment and the unpainted Plettenberg is a good test object.

I wanted to measure the pressure in the cylinder and the displacement of the piston. I want to see how this diagram is compareable to pubished charts in books. And in next steps the measurement of indicated power in relation to the force on the draw-hook and the driving speed will follow.

Today it was a little bit tricky , because I had jobs for 3 persons but I have to done it by my own. My Laptop and my camera had heat problems. It was good to have a back up.

s1970001.jpg

The pressure sensor with adaptors.

s1970002.jpg

The cylinder cover where it was connected.

s1970003.jpg

Now installed.

s1970004.jpg

The selfmade displacement sensor.

indikator3.jpg

The time diagram green is pressure, red ist piston travel. From start to driving a few meters.

indikator 1.jpg

The full piston travel during start.

indikator4.jpg

Starting and driving with closing of the steam valve to slow down a little bit.

indikator2.jpg

Start and driving as above in xy diagramm

Werner

Thread: Boiler cross tube leak.
20/06/2019 10:27:22

Hello Mick,

years ago I had as pinhole leak in a boiler with a max working pressure of 3 bar. As I testet it with 6 bar with water it was fine as a needle.. I took the water out and then Ifilled it again with mineral water from the bottle . It takes about 2 min under pressure and then it was perfect tight. And there was never again an issue.

The same is possible with a mixture with water Na2SiO3

Werner

Thread: traction engine pump
15/06/2019 18:03:42

Hallo David,

if I have a pump which is not pumping well ,I take a doctor syringe with 50 ml ( I hop it's the right word) and fill it full of water. Then I inject into the suction hose some water and connect the syringe . Then I move the pump. If the pump valve i not tight the piston moves back. If all is OK the piston move with each stroke of the pump piston and the water go to the pump. You can test with and without backpressure of the water pump. This is easy to use and you see direct what happens.

Werner

07/05/2019 19:51:22

Hallo Kerrin,Duncan,

The Plettenberg runs very good .She is able to haul two adult persons. On our narrow curve with 6 m radius there is some wheel slip, but for a loco with 28 kg it performs very good. I am impressed that the small boiler have no problems to hold the pressure during driving. The only thing is to carefully look to the water level ,because the water came then out of the chimney. With some experience it is all manageable. The number 2 injector is a good fit and runs perfect. I found a mistake in the donkey pump. I got this with other valves and stuff by chance for a good price. At higher pressure as 3 bars there was only less flow. The comercial who build this has a teflon piston on the water side with a bad fit. I added an o ring and now there is much flow under pressure.

That is all fine tunning. I think it was a great idea to work with the 3,5 inch parts and build a new 5 inch chassis.

Duncan to your first question. The young guys are in the age of 14 and above. They are from familys where the father love trains . The youngster with the BR 24 at the beginning pulls his father to the trains. Now the are both in love with trains.

This was not an open day with public so all could go in a relaxed way. The BR 24 had his first succesfull run. I show the youngster and his father how to adjust the walscherts motion control. Before they can only drive forward. I show him the principle how to adjust the motion control . And with a little luck then it was perfect running. They bought this loco and it does not run under steam before.

Since the new managing comittee is working,I am a member of it , we try to transfer experience in a firendly way.

So the youngsters find physics very usefull and they have a lot of fun with gaining more experience. And this is nice to see. And they are better in school . One of them searched a job for practical training. He was one of hundred . As he told the personal boss what he do as his hobby, he was selected and he was very proud to learn mechanical things.

We have in the club special locos for the youngsters, but we let them also drive club trains under the control of an adult person. So they are proud to do this. And this starts the fire in them for the hobby.

But it is difficult to get offspring. You have to pull the father with them. And this is very difficult. There are so many other possibilities to do without getting dirt at the finger.

I think Tich parts are good to convert,too. Give it a start and it is a good winter project. smiley

Werner

06/05/2019 17:55:03

At our club track we had on the first of may a nice club driving day without public.

The Plettenberg was able to pull a load with two adult persons. This is very satisfying.

After the run I had some issues,because I lost the rod to the oil pump. But all is repared and better then before.

Wise man called this experience, good joke but it is the truth. smiley

Werner

Edited By Werner Schleidt on 06/05/2019 17:56:10

Thread: Merryweather Steam Fire King self propelled
05/05/2019 12:33:38

Hello all ,

on a nice easter sunday I made a test ride with my fire king to see how the turbulator work.

Last year in october I saw the performance and made the subjectiv rating that it is a remarkable improvement.

The added turbulator in the center flue tube.

turbulator.jpg

This time I added measurement equipment to see the exhaust temperature, the pulling force and the speed.

I recorded this by my own software via bluetooth with a smartphone.

Test drive.jpg

test equipment 1.jpg

test equipment 2.jpg

total drive.jpg

The colours are green the pulling force max 200 N, red the sppeed max 8 Km/h, violet the exhaust emperaturemax 350 °C, the calculatet distance in grey max 1500 m and blue the calculated power max 100 W

To show the measurement more in detail I devided it in parts. And marked the parts in a road map.

roadmap.jpg

The fllowing diagrams are related to the parts marked in the map.

part 1.jpg

The ride over the pedestrian way into the street there was a peak force of 180 N . In 2 the journey starts.

The violet down peaks are related to the cold steam engine and a high waterlevel.

part 2.jpg

At Position 2 I filled the grate with coal nearly to the fire door. And then I start driving. In 3 I had to look to traffic and slow down a little. And then I was in full motion the boiler had lots of power an nearly constant 330 °C exhaust temperature and I was able to hold the speed legal speed of 6 km/h.

part 3.jpg

The same I made at position 2 I filled the boiler grate with coal and looked to the oil pump.

part 4.jpg

In 3 on my way back home I had to wait and made a traffic related stop. On my way the safety valve blew very often and I tried to pump water to come down with the pressure. I drove the round as fast as possible to see what happens.

smoke box.jpg

With this fast driving there is not much unbourned coal int the smokebox. With a vaccum cleaner it was an easy job to clean.

findings.jpg

conclusion.jpg

For me it was a great success to see how the fire king performs now. There were some little drawbacks . I forgot to weight the coal ,it was about 3 Kg and 14 liter water. The powersupply of my measurement equipment was only good for one round. The wiring of the sensors to the recorder have to be improved.

best regards

Werner

16/04/2019 18:22:14

Hello all,

after a testride in the garden about 1 Km ,perhaps with less oil on the crosshead, I had an accidenttal blocking of the left crosshead. There was no movement possible. It was like welded.

Could someone give me an advice how much play I have to have that oil can grease?

I made a shim of 0.1 mm and add this for more side lash. Is there a rule of thumb? Years a go where I am not able to work such precise I had less problems,but rattling. smiley

Werner

07/04/2019 17:14:34

Hello Ron,Paul ,

thanks for your ideas regarding the noise sqeuals. This track was originally planned as a small test track and then my at that time 10 years old son and I had some ideas. And so we developed the layout. The turntable is necessary to come to the fire up and service stand in the corner. We have to cut three trees and smaller ones. Then we thought we have to have a station house. So the wooden house was build. It was a little bit an overkill,but whitout railway driving it is good to use for other purposes.

I use this track more as a test track and not very often. My problem is, I have more ideas then time.

Werner

Thread: From the ground up!
07/04/2019 13:20:11

Hello John,

I do not know the diameter of the bolt ,but it looks like 1 inch and o it could be a UNF 1 inch 12 TPI

I hope it helps.

Werner

07/04/2019 12:33:17

Hello Paul,

the flange squeal is from the steel rails on steel slippers. It occurs In the range of the gras. In our well water for the garden we have some iron therefore this part is brown and the rails are steel with zinc coating. With a few drops of olive oil on a brush ,greasing the flange where it sqeaks , this is gone. This time I forgot this to do. I was hot testing the Plettenberg.

At my track there is an inclination of 2 to 3 % and in combination with that narrow curves ( radius 5m) it is with steam not easy to drive. My experience is ,if i can drive at home, I am able to drive on any club track. It is an ideal test track.

Werner

07/04/2019 08:48:19

Hello all , here is an update of my work.

The Plettenberg was now two times under steam with good experience. But, as you all know, steam is in everytime good to get new expereience. By the first heat up the pressure gauge was defekt. I let the fire go down and I had luck that I had a replacement.. With the replacement all work was straight forward. And the first ride was succesfull.

I ordered after that a new pressure gauge and I added an additional check valve to  the Injektor pipe to the boiler.

With this setup the injector worked very good from 3 to 7 bar from low to high water in the water gauge.

The loco run very good I was satisfied ,but there is room for optimization. The safety valves I will change to pop action , because they open good but the closeing is sometime late.

The hand valves have to be optimized ,because they are not satisfiing steam thight.

Overall i am very fine with the behaviour of the Plettenberg.

To give you an impression I made a video from the build in the workshop and the run in my garden.

Werner

Edited By Werner Schleidt on 07/04/2019 08:50:45

28/03/2019 20:36:24

This is the boiler on the driver side.The reversal handle was not ready at that time.

20190105_203511.jpg

I tried to use the same setup of valves and handles as I have on my other locomotives.

20190130_190425.jpg

All necessary attachments are there some refinements have to made later before painting.

For my opinion it looks pretty much the same like the Plettenberg at the photo.

20190203_134411.jpg

The spark arrestor was very difficult to make. The small pipe and the bell are whithout function.

20190302_144220.jpg

Now with the nameplates on the side. The have been made in etching technic.

With good wheather the next step is testing under steam. Then I will see whath happens. With air pressure I made tests on the table and they were sucessful.

Werner

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Advertise With Us
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne Sept 2019
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest