By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Oldiron

Here is a list of all the postings Oldiron has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Ossett auction Myford & Holbrook lathes
07/08/2020 18:36:06

The buyer and seller have made contact via the auctioneer although it sounds like it was a bit of a nightmare.

regards

Thread: Clarkson T&C grinder motor stopped
06/08/2020 21:58:17
Posted by Emgee on 06/08/2020 19:29:06:

As you have a plug in the motor supply are you using the VFD to power more than 1 machine ? if so do the other machines function correctly

I believe the OP stated that his lathe works ok with the same VFD

regards

Thread: Boxford Lathe Dismantling
06/08/2020 20:16:04

I put mine on a trailer with a standard 1 ton engine hoist that the seller had. Tied it down to the trailer standing up with 2 lorry ratchet straps over the cabinet. When I got it home 2 of us slid it down the trailer ramp quite easily.

regards

Edited By Oldiron on 06/08/2020 20:18:27

Thread: Cleaning emergency !
05/08/2020 18:36:27
Posted by Bo'sun on 05/08/2020 17:52:42:

If it is rust, then another vote for Oxalic Acid. I used to work in a foundry, and the iron dust in the air left millions of tiny rust specs in the cars paintwork. Oxalic Acid worked a treat. Bought as crystals and made into a solution. Paint it on and let it crystalize, then wash off with water.

I didn't know that rubber tyres went rusty if left on the floor. winkdevil

Just gonna hide now. regards

Thread: Hello Everyone
31/07/2020 18:32:37

Hi James, welcome to the forum. Plenty of info on many subjects on the forum. Try doing a search for a particular problem etc. If no luck just ask away and I am sure you will get an answer quite quickly.

regards

Thread: cutting upholstery foam
31/07/2020 18:28:10
Posted by Clive Brown 1 on 31/07/2020 14:38:23:

Cut 2" off the sofa legs.

Excellent idea and only takes a few minutes and no need to take the covers off. smiley devil

hiding now. regards

Thread: Ossett auction Myford & Holbrook lathes
31/07/2020 18:20:33

Hi all Anyone bought a Myford Super 7 at the Ossett auctions last Sunday?

A chap is advertising on Homeworkshop as he believes he may have some parts belonging to the Myford lathe and that you may have parts for his Holbrook lathe he got from the same auction. Hope you can get together and solve the mystery

Advert number is 38329 with his contact details.

regards

Edited By Oldiron on 31/07/2020 18:22:18

Thread: Ultimate Universal Machine ?
27/07/2020 21:52:47

Just so you know this is a Facebook link ppl. Not on FB myself. regards

Thread: Dodgy Lathe on Ebay
27/07/2020 10:00:04
Posted by Bill Phinn on 24/07/2020 01:20:26:
Posted by Barrie Lever on 23/07/2020 23:24:07:

Definitely note the case, that is the reason that a buyer can take a chance and know there is some protection.

B.

Whether the buyer is better off overall is hard to say, Barrie.

I opened an "item not received" case a couple of weeks ago, because I hadn't received an order long after it was due. Eight days after I opened the case the seller responded by simply uploading tracking information showing the item had been delivered, but not the address where it had been delivered to and no signature had been taken. It was certainly not delivered to me, nor to any of my neighbours.

A long phone call with eBay resulted in me being told that, even though delivery was self-certified by the courier not certified by a recipient and there is no record of where the delivery took place, and furthermore even though I insist I've still not received the package, eBay are going to find in the seller's favour because the tracking information is "proof" enough that I have received the item.

Apparently in these cases eBay place absolute faith in couriers' infallibility and take no account of a buyer's testimony. So I am without my item and without my money, and that looks as if it is the way things are going to stay, unless I can persuade my card provider to do a charge-back.

Edited By Bill Phinn on 24/07/2020 01:21:44

This also happened to me some time ago. I ordered an item that was way to big to go through a letter box. The courier marked it down as "pushed through letter box". I looked every where for the parcel and contacted all my neighbours to see if it had been delivered locally. No sign of it any where. I contacted Ebay and put in a not received ticket. After several weeks they found for the courier and would not refund my money. So that made me out to be a liar!! Now have an obvious camera on always record at the from door to stop any further thieving delivery drivers. regards

Thread: Induction Hob problem
23/07/2020 10:11:06

When I did my M8's Miele hob with the same type of fault it was a case of replacing two capacitors at a cost of 60 pence. The cost of repair by the oven shop was going to be £600.00 or £1400 replacement cost.

regards.

21/07/2020 17:59:43

Hi. Not sure if the control panel is the same as Miele's but they have a problem with theirs on certain models. A couple of small caps blow and cause the touch panel to stop responding. It may be worth Googling the fault and see if there is a fix available. I did caps on my M8's Miele hob in less than an hour when it packed up.

regards

Thread: Yipee the F1 is back on
29/06/2020 19:24:09

Dang it just my luck. We are going away that weekend for 12 days will be near Ross on Wye with the caravan. We never bother with tv in the caravan.

regards

Thread: Need to know about iPad 'air'
26/06/2020 09:43:08

My wifes iPad Air is used for Zoom meetings several times a week. It is on V12 and will no longer update.

I use a 9" Android which cost £75 2 years ago and is perfect for Zoom.

I would not pay that price for the ipad Air as it is so out of date now. Better buying a new Android for much less.

edit  Not sure how you would refurbish an iPad apart from giving it a clean and possible new screen ?

regards

Edited By Oldiron on 26/06/2020 10:10:52

Thread: Anyone near godalming who could do a favour?
25/06/2020 10:47:58
Posted by Ian Parkin on 24/06/2020 13:28:48:

Is there anyone near Godalming who could collect a smallish item and then post it to me?

joker of a seller insisting on collection?

all costs covered and something for doing job

Edited By Ian Parkin on 24/06/2020 13:29:27

Have you thought why the seller insists on collection ? Maybe they are self isolating or in a vulnerable group, no car or easy way to get to post . Collection from a safe place is what many ppl are doing during these difficult times. Why don't you just send a courier such as DPD,DHL.TNT or similar for it ? The costs are pretty inexpensive. Just go onto ipostparcels or similar. It will probably will cost less than paying PO rates and a gift for someone else to collect it.

Weight & dimensions would help.

regards

Thread: Halifax 524 Headstock
23/06/2020 14:22:17

Extract from **LINK**

"If you make a purchase and it’s a private sale, the law states that the goods you receive must match the description in the advert. When you buy from a private seller, the returns process isn’t as straightforward and it is often difficulty to reject faulty goods and receive a full refund.

You may be able to claim compensation but only if a contract has been broken. If, for example the seller stated that something was in good working order but then you received it and it turned out to be faulty you may be able to claim compensation. However it can be very difficult to prove that the seller said this unless it was in an email or written form. The level of compensation that you can claim will depend on the nature of the problem and whether it caused any injury."

If the buyer did not mention the damage in the advert or in person I read the above as you can get a refund or compensation. If they are reluctant to reimburse you it may pay quote the above.

HTH regards

Edited By Oldiron on 23/06/2020 14:23:33

Thread: Bedford Files
23/06/2020 10:07:10

Many different sizes on Ebay Plastic handles  <<< UK supplier

I do find that wooden handles are much nicer to work with for long periods.

regards

Edited By Oldiron on 23/06/2020 10:13:49

Thread: Halifax 524 Headstock
23/06/2020 10:01:04
Posted by Brian Wood on 22/06/2020 18:17:40:

Hello David,

I hope you get some satisfaction out of this, I cannot believe damage of this kind would go unnoticed.

As for a solution I fear it has gone beyond economic repair. Even if it can be cobbled together it will be most unlikely to turn out decent work and you will be left with the unenviable task of selling it on ' for spares'

I wish you well

Brian

Hi David

I totally agree with Brian here. It is unlikely that this lathe will ever turn out decent work again. If the vendor will refund your money, take it. This lathe will be almost worthless if you try to sell it at a later date. Why people would recommend a repair on a newly acquired lathe I have no idea. I could understand trying to do a repair if you had dropped it yourself but if sold like that with no mention of the damage by the vendor or the transporter you are entitled to a refund or recompense.

Good luck. regards

22/06/2020 18:28:59

If you got the Halifax via Ebay you can get recompense if you make a claim for "not as advertised". Where ever you got it from it should be fit for purpose which it is clearly not. Did you collect it or was it delivered by a haulage firm that dropped it along the way or picked it up incorrectly ?

I hope you get a good result from any claim. I don't think I would even want to get it repaired as I would forever be worrying about it.

Good luck. regards

Thread: Constantly Having To Log In To The Website
22/06/2020 18:19:52
Posted by Bazyle on 22/06/2020 16:21:29:

Count your blessings with this forum. Over on HSM the software recently changed to stop working properly with IE in far more ways only Chrome and FF work. My new work laptop has Edge but that won't remember anything in the favourites bar where I keep key sites like this one.

I have no problem with Edge favourites remembering a page. Try adding to "Collections" it works really well to keep similar items where you can find them.

regards

22/06/2020 12:42:47

I leave my pc on all the time and stay logged in to several forums permanently. Just went to answer a post and realised I was logged out. The other annoying thing is that if I try to copy and paste using the right click menu I get the message "your browser does not support copy & paste" That is strange as I use the latest Microsoft Edge browser. That does not happen on any other site.

regards

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest