By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Oldiron

Here is a list of all the postings Oldiron has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Boley & leinen Tailstock
14/01/2019 17:19:16

edited 

duplicate post

Edited By Oldiron on 14/01/2019 17:19:59

14/01/2019 17:19:07

Hi Trevor. Put an add in the for sale section. It is free so nothing to be lost.

regards

Thread: Thornton Wheel Cutters
09/01/2019 18:11:14
Posted by Steve Crow on 09/01/2019 17:27:20:

One more thing I forgot to ask - what's the average thickness (width?) at the bore.

Many thanks, Steve

A phone call is probably the best way to find out. regards

Thread: Leaking camera batteries
28/12/2018 17:02:14

I tend to use a small dry stiff brush to remove the worst. Then use WD40 on a cotton bud to clean off the rest of the detritus. Do as much as possible with the opening pointing  downwards to stop junk going into the works. Always works on battery boxes etc.

regards

Edited By Oldiron on 28/12/2018 17:03:15

Thread: Zyto Lathe - Info and Parts wanted.
23/12/2018 09:54:50

I might have a flat belt countershaft from a Zyto in storage somewhere but will not be able to get to it until after new year. Message me your email and I will find it asap and send you the details. I also have some odd gears I believe came from the same machine but it will take some digging to find them.

regards

Thread: What is this machine?
22/12/2018 18:21:40

I have a very large collection of mechanical adding/calculator machines also slide rules. My wife and I show them at steam fairs etc. We only collect and never sell any as we are trying to save them from the scrap pile. We do take some machines as donations but are willing to pay for unusual items. There are some pictures in my album. Would be very interested in that machine as we do not have one like it..

regards

Edited By Oldiron on 22/12/2018 18:22:15

Thread: Arduino: pandoras box or cool bag of tricks, MEW dec, no. 275
20/12/2018 08:34:04

That link works fine JasonB. Interesting blog if you are into craft stuff. Even the wife had a quick look before she went to work and was interested in some posts.

regards

Thread: Removing Grit after Lapping Ways
11/12/2018 17:25:52

Lapping is definitely not he way to go on machine ways. They should be scraped to allow oil to get between the ways and the table/compound etc. :Lapping makes for a much too smooth a surface that will scrape the oil off. Leading to rapid wear. As said elsewhere they need to be rescraped to fix the problem.

regards

Thread: Getting priorities right
07/12/2018 11:29:07

Gave up smoking 40 years ago. Got up one morning and said that's it. Never had or wanted another. It is not an easy thing for many people to do I know. I had an incentive as my mother had just been diagnosed with lung cancer. She had smoked since the age of 14.

I never used chewing gum or sweets to help as many do. Also I am very stubborn so I suppose that helped as well. Many ppl use it as a crutch because of their unfortunate circumstances. More help is needed for ppl who want to give up.

I cannot understand this vape thing. People using them are not really giving up dragging chemicals into their lungs. As far as I can see its a lame excuse to say I don't smoke.

The annoying thing about it is most vapers think they are entitled top stand near some one else and envelope them in an evil smelling cloud far in excess of what a cigarette puts out. Have you seen the huge clouds of smoke coming out of a vapers car ?

Probably going to upset a few ppl with those comments but that's my opinion.

regards

Thread: Grinder wanted on South Coast
06/12/2018 15:29:18

Quick Google for cylindrical grinding found **LINK** Near Exeter.

Might be able to help if no one here has the capabilities.

regards

Thread: Cooling oil unit for saw or lathe
05/12/2018 16:37:56

I filter my suds return with a gauze in the chip pan over the return well. I also have several strong magnets from PC hard drives in strategic points in the Boxford's built in tank. I get a very clean particle free fluid at the nozzle.

regards

Thread: Myford ML7, or Colchester Bantam/Boxford model A easiest to use?
05/12/2018 16:28:41

Looks to be in fairly clean condition. It weighs in at around 625Kg. If you move it yourself remove all the parts you can from the top end ie tailstock, chuck, compound etc. Use good ratchet straps to hold it to a trailer. If the trailer floor is metal or a bit thin get a sheet of plywood to lay under it. Get some friends to help,. 2 people is unlikely to be enough muscle. A good engine hoist will be of help.

Here is a link to a manual if you don't have one. **LINK**

Keep us up to date with your progress.

regards

Thread: Washing machine motor
30/11/2018 10:43:45

A spare motor is always useful. Could be used for a belt sander or a wire brush spindle both of which I have built using washing machine motors. Plenty of video's on YouTube how to wire them up whether they are 3/5 or 7 wire units. Just take the attached plug and as long a length of the cable you can get to.

regards

Thread: Windows 10 again
30/11/2018 10:34:16

Go for 64bit. 99% of all 32bit programs will run on 64bit pc's. You can then use all the available memory you have.

I use several 32bit programs on a 64bit machine. If you have the serial numbers for your programs there should be no problems redownloading them and reinstalling on the new machine.

regards

Thread: Unnecessary waste of paper
28/11/2018 15:03:15
Posted by Douglas Johnston on 28/11/2018 14:42:56:

About five years ago I closed a bank account and every 6 months since then I have received a letter from them stating my account balance is 12p. I should really tell them to stop but am interested to see how long this silly business goes on.

Doug

I shut my Barclays credit card account 15 years ago and still get paper billing giving me an account total of £0.00.

I have asked several times for it to be stopped but still it comes.

regards

Thread: Todays Mystery Objects?
28/11/2018 10:38:00

I have no idea what the items are so I thought I would do reverse image search via Google for this but the site was blocked by my anti malware program as it contained PuPs. Never had that happen before.

"These are programs which don’t really do anything good for you. For example, browser toolbars that clutter your browser, track your web browsing, and show additional advertisements to you are “potentially unwanted programs.” "

regards

Thread: Can you identify the mystery man?
21/11/2018 11:13:07

Glad you found out where he came from. I used to live in Heathfield which is very near Bovey Tracey. Some other interesting places to visit there are :-

The Devon Guild of Craftsmen **LINK**

The House of Marbles. **LINK**

Trago Mills retail & leisure **LINK**

All very interesting places to visit.

regards

Thread: Thread cutting again
09/11/2018 16:27:32

Many moons ago I had a South Bend 13" lathe. As far as I can remember the threading chart on that lathe which was post 1948 was for UNC & UNF threads not Whitworth.

24tpi is a standard for number 10 & 12 UNC also 5/16" & 3/8" UNF. Probably some others I cannot remember.

I stand to be corrected as my memory is not as good as it used to be.

regards

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
04/11/2018 18:03:14

Very nice job. Very innovative.

regards

Thread: Imminent rabbit invasion.
04/11/2018 17:58:47

If any house rabbits turn up they will be in the pot PDQ smiley

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Meridienne Sept 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest