By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Oldiron

Here is a list of all the postings Oldiron has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Purchasing an unknown build
19/02/2020 21:18:55
Posted by Andy Joyce 1 on 24/01/2020 16:57:07:

New to the hobby so wish to buy a 3.5 gauge ready built locomotive but those I have seen on a well known site don't come with any paper work. Is this a fools purchase as it will be impossible to get the necessary certificates without knowing the materials used to construct the boiler.

Looks like it time for another rant on my pet hate. Nothing personal but the phrase "that well known site" should be banned. What site. ????? Ebay, Amazon, ToysRus, Woolworths ? Is it so difficult to just write the site name so we know where to look.

regards

Thread: Log in
12/02/2020 22:11:16
Posted by Steviegtr on 12/02/2020 22:07:38:

I'm on Microsoft edge, it always asks do you want to remember these login details. Then never asks again.

Steve.

+1 me also

regards

Thread: VFD drives
10/02/2020 10:08:21

Type in VFD Drives in the search box above and you will get several posts on the subject.

regards

Thread: why does my makita go pop occasionally ?
09/02/2020 16:55:50

Glad you got a solution to the problem Gerry.

regards

Thread: New from Warwickshire
09/02/2020 16:51:36

Hi John welcome to the forum. Plenty of answers for you here. You can do a search using keywords. If you cannot find the answers you need just ask and someone will help you. Nearly all what lathe or mill questions have been covered here. If you ask a question give as much info as you can to help get the correct answer.

regards

Thread: Brazing torch
08/02/2020 21:27:12

Have a look at this post from 2016 Air torch

regards

Thread: Noisy Lathe Gearbox
08/02/2020 21:18:33

You can get a very good additive for quietening gearboxes in vehicles from Halfords or other motor shops & Ebay. It is Manual Gearbox Additive made by SLICK 50 costs £15 a small bottle. Easy to use and works a treat. I have used it in a Land Cruiser manual box and also in a farm elevator gearbox with excellent results.

regards

Thread: manual for ajax shaper
08/02/2020 17:22:01

Should be very easy to determine the stroke length. Move stroke adjuster to end of slot. Then measure stroke. No might be's about it.

regards

Thread: Chester Crusader Motor
08/02/2020 12:52:50

Excellent. I hate to see good items go to the tip.

regards

Thread: Moving milling machine
02/02/2020 13:52:29

Many people have used Landylift with good results as far as I can see. No affiliation or direct knowledge personally.

He advertises here

regards

Thread: Home made T&C jig
29/01/2020 09:48:51

Give it a try. Make a new fine leadscrew if you need it. If it does not work you have learned a lesson, not lost a lot of money and have some parts you can repurpose.

See here >> Why

regards

Thread: Unimat 3 underpowered ?
23/01/2020 18:15:08
Posted by Ady1 on 10/10/2013 14:55:11:

You can find them on a well known site under "unimat belting"

WOULD THAT BE EBAY THEN ????????

Thread: Centec 2a Gear Box Oil
21/01/2020 16:52:16
Posted by Steviegtr on 20/01/2020 22:56:13:

Ah did not realise it was a gearbox. Oops

Steve.

Steve The clue is in the thread title. wink

regards

Thread: Cheap alternative to replacement Record hardened jaw plates?
20/01/2020 14:28:57
Posted by Peter Love 1 on 20/01/2020 13:27:25:

Hi I have just sent back to a supplier on Ebay a set of 4 1/2" jaws for my No 4 Record, they were 4 1/2" long but not 1 inch wide Record/Irwin, so I need the original type before Irwin came on the scene anyone know were I can obtain a pair ?.

Peter.

This is an old post Peter. You may have to trawl round some of the old Record vise stockists in the hope they have original old stock still on the shelf. Searching several forums the same question seems to come up now and then with no real answer. As many people say you can make your own soft or hard jaws. Is it possible to turn the old jaws over and put the clean bottom face to the top ?

regards

Thread: Windows 7 support ends
15/01/2020 16:17:10
Posted by Harry Wilkes on 15/01/2020 15:07:39:

When I did my vista I just purchased a new windows key from that well know website, cost me $6 worked fine

H

What is the problem with people here not being able to write a simple word like EBAY. No problems with sites like Tracy tools or RDG or Arceurotrade etc etc. are most people ashamed that they actually go to EBAY and buy most of their kit. IMHO its ridiculous to type 3 or 4 words when one will do. Rant over. Nothing personal meant here Harry just my personal opinion. I await the flack with baited breath.

BTW you can still get Windows 10 as a free upgrade if your PC has a genuine copy of Windows 7 with a proper licence. Many video's on YouTube how to do it. I tried it on a Windows 7 home edition PC and it works fine. It now has a Windows 10 digital key and is properly activated.Also if you have a decent malware and anti virus software installed you will be OK on Windows 7. It is mostly operator error like opening unknown files and links that will get you a little malware gift.

Thread: PSU for anodising.
15/01/2020 16:05:42
Posted by Robin Graham on 14/01/2020 23:14:47:

OK, thanks. I guess I just need to suck it and see.

Dave's suggestion that 2V might be enough is surprising and seems to go against the tide of opinion and experience. I thought about trying to make calculations based on the conductivity of dilute sulphuric acid solutions, but it seems that the surface resistivity of the electrodes is dominant. Maybe that's why it's all a bit up in the air.

Making the cathode will be fun, melting old lead pipes in a saucepan on the sitting room fire might raise a wifely eyebrow.

Don't bother melting the lead down. A big hammer and a decent backing block/anvil you can beat out an anode in very short time.

An old battery charger is much better to use until you want to go upmarket IMHO The trouble with modern type PSU's is that they have to much electronicy bits in them to be suitable. Do not waste your money go old style.

regards

Thread: Air line / compressor fittings
15/01/2020 15:56:44

Google Female stud coupling

Much easier to use pushfit though

regards

Thread: PSU for anodising.
14/01/2020 22:16:40

OOPS Forgot to add a link to a YouTube video. Anodising

regards

14/01/2020 21:34:45

Never got round to trying it myself but do intend to do so eventually. I watched an awful lot of videos on the subject of homeshop anodising on Youtube and many of them use a 12vdc battery charger at both 6 and 10 amps or a very similar supply. Best try it on a test piece and see how it goes. Try what you have before lashing out money on something you do not need. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

regards

Thread: Homemade Lathe
13/01/2020 18:14:17
Posted by Iain Downs on 13/01/2020 17:22:27:

It wouldn't have worked that well if I'd made it...

Iain

Edited By Iain Downs on 13/01/2020 17:22:39

Oh ye of little faith. smiley

regards

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Warco
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest