By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Oldiron

Here is a list of all the postings Oldiron has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: CVA 1A series 3 travelling steady
26/10/2020 18:59:11
Posted by George Maclean on 26/10/2020 17:58:29:

Hi Guys,

(---)

PS Can I upload pic's ?

Guide here --> Posting pics

Thread: Reducing diameter cylinder bobs
26/10/2020 18:12:54
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 26/10/2020 16:46:11:

Edit: If only we had a McMaster-Carr outlet in the UK .

Try here Michael:- MSC Industrial supplies

regards

Thread: Straight edge for checking the slide ways on my mill's knee
25/10/2020 18:34:52
Posted by old mart on 25/10/2020 18:20:29:

Straight edges do come up for sale regularly on the unmentionable site.

Sorry I do not understand this statement. Ebay is a perfectly legitimate site to mention even if some of the goods are not.

regards

Thread: Herbert No10 Mill - details
24/10/2020 20:28:58
Posted by Pete White on 29/09/2020 14:00:32: I don't think I can mention Arc Eurotrade?

Pete

As far as I know there is no ban on mentioning our good friends @ Arc Eurotrade.

regards

Thread: Medical needles
24/10/2020 20:21:09

The medical ones are excellent for filling ink cartridges. I have used them for years for that application and also have a couple filled with oil. for the tiny jobs.

regards

Thread: Collector's Item
23/10/2020 21:07:42

Interesting but I cannot see how to get a half million pounds in art work plus some profit out of it. Probably not worth that money in scrap value either.

regards

Thread: Good YouTube videos
21/10/2020 22:27:06
Posted by Jeff Dayman on 21/10/2020 19:13:33:

Just my $0.02 worth re UT:

-Keith Rucker - can't stand the constant yap, and from some of the casting pattern work he has shown, he is winging it, at least with castings, and is getting a lot of coaching from the foundry. Nothing wrong with that but he would like to portray himself as a master of all old technology. Mostly yap and not much "work" content. The steam stoker engine seriesis a good example. Probably a dozen videos and just finished disassembly!

-Adam Booth - definitely getting commercial, BIG ad plugs midway thru on most videos.

-Blondihacks - honest and entertaining, with humour, she is a beginner at steam models and openly says so.

-Doubleboost - honest and entertaining, with humour, Newcastle accent a treat to listen to. No embellishing in his videos, if he messes up he shows it, warts and all. Does tend to shill for Banggood stuff a lot though.

For electronic related stuff - Big Clive is very informative on electronics and a lot of fun. The continuing silliness series with the electrocution / incidental heating of various foods is entertaining. He's done pork pie, Scotch Egg, spotted dick pudding, Dutch Rookwurst and others, to date.

I agree. I stopped watching K Rucker a long time ago. Could not stand his blatant hints for items to be donated. Also he was/is a bit of a hammer merchant. His castings for straight edges were a ripoff design direct from one he bought elsewhere apparently. His machinery.org site is handy though and I have uploaded manuals to it in the past.

Used to enjoy Adam in his earlier video's but he has put out nothing worth watching for some time.

I like John and have done a few deals with him and he did the ali casting for my dividing head.

Quinn at Blondihacks is great and quite a laugh.

regards

Thread: A Virtual Meet Up on Zoom
20/10/2020 20:02:42

Great Zoom meeting. Thanks to Neil for hosting it.

20/10/2020 18:17:25

thumbs up

Thread: Boxford csb
19/10/2020 18:30:51

Ray check your messages. Inbox Envelope at top left of page.

regards

Thread: Troubleshooting Instructions
19/10/2020 18:01:33
Posted by Tim Stevens on 19/10/2020 17:13:28:

There is a certain irony in a message which is critical of instructions but which omits a vital letter itself. Ho hum ...

Tim

You got it wrong Tim. It refers to Ron the soldering man from Lidl. devil

regards

19/10/2020 17:56:42
Posted by Frances IoM on 19/10/2020 16:56:55:
have the invites been sent out - catch is my ISP has in past treated mytimemedia emails as spam + held them for a day until I am notified re spam.

I have had mine. I would think Neil has his hands full sorting this out. Hopefully he will get as many done before the event as he can. There is a 100 person limit so hopefully we can all get into a very crowded room.  Check you PM box at top of page.

regards

Edited By Oldiron on 19/10/2020 17:57:45

Edited By Oldiron on 19/10/2020 17:58:12

Thread: Evolution rage2
19/10/2020 09:49:18
Posted by MC Black on 19/10/2020 09:16:05:

I did consider a Bandsaw but don't have sufficient space for one in my shed-workshop.

MC

I agree with Paul. My bandsaw takes up less benchtop area than my Rage2. I now only use the Rage2 for wood.

regards

Thread: Stuart S-50 build problem
18/10/2020 10:54:30

Very nice looking job Jim. Have you tried it on air or steam yet ?

regards

Thread: Milling for Beginners Book
17/10/2020 13:23:00

Send them a PM. I am sure Neil & Jason will enlighten you about their publications.

regards

Thread: Help needed to identify a surface grinder
16/10/2020 16:33:14

Sorry no idea. By the looks of it it has been modified as a drill press. The whole motor/spindle assembly appears to be missing. It will not be an easy task finding bits for it. I hope someone can identify it for you.

regards

Thread: Another newbie question
15/10/2020 17:08:29

Hi John. I searched for first lathe and found 20 posts on the subject. Even if they do not refer directly to your particular wants there are some excellent suggestions and tips there.

regards

14/10/2020 15:28:06
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 14/10/2020 15:24:06:

Tuesday next at 7?

If I get a few yesses, I will go ahead.

Neil

Send me the link and I will drop in.

regards

Thread: information and knowledge exchange
14/10/2020 15:26:52

Hi David. Welcome. All advise is welcome if it helps someone overcome a problem. As are tricks learnt over many years.

All you need to do is watch the subjects come up in the latest forum posts. If you can help just chip in and add posting. Best to read the original post and any answers to get your bearings before posting.

As for this forum, no links or posts linking to sellers who may be supplying goods not properly covered by UK safety or consumer legislation, or politics and be nice to ppl.#

regards

# Moderator Note:  The Code of Conduct is here.

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 14/10/2020 16:31:05

Thread: Overseas Distribution to restart
13/10/2020 19:29:30

My old aunt in the USA subscribes to several UK mags (not ME or MEW) and she tells me there has been no interruption to her copies arriving by post so far.

regards

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest