By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Clive Brown 1

Here is a list of all the postings Clive Brown 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Driving Small Taps
16/01/2020 08:57:58
Posted by derek hall 1 on 16/01/2020 06:49:23:

I built and use the GHT pillar tool. Fantastic bit of kit and superb design.does anything from 12ba taps

+1; mine's in frequent use for tapping. Much more convenient than any other method of starting a tap

Thread: Silver Soldering Brass
15/01/2020 14:32:45

Propane is much to be prefered over butane. Sievert recommend 2 bar minimum gas pressure for their burners to work properly. This can be quite difficult for a butane cylinder to deliver in a cool workshop, especially as the gas evaporation cools the cylinder further. Propane cylinder pressure is much higher and the pressure can be regulated to a suitable figure.

Re Chis using borax for flux. My understanding is that Easyflo fluxes are better to work with as they have a lower melting point, are chemically more aggressive and  more fluid. The time taken to melt borax allows the workpiece to oxidise more.

Clive

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 15/01/2020 14:53:11

Thread: Windows 7 support ends
15/01/2020 14:17:51

Although free upgrade from W7 to W10 nominally ended some time ago, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that it's still readily available via the official Microsoft website. A free download and installation of W10 is officially activated based on the old W7 licence for the particular machine. Look for "Windows Media Creation Tool" This activation process is usually automatic. I wouldn't hesitate to try. Obviously you should back up your files first.

Thread: rolling brass strip in the lathe
15/01/2020 08:54:38

Bear in mind that the set-up shown in Jason's post will leave a short straight section at each end of the strip, perhaps to cut off or re-roll after joining. GHT addressed this issue with his design in ME using pinch rollers. This much reduced this effect.

Clive

Thread: Looking to pay for someone to finish an engine
09/01/2020 21:48:16

Martin Evans drew a trio of locos based around the Royal Scot design. Fury is a compound, with a high pressure boiler.

The "conventional " designs are a Royal Scot as designed by Fowler and the Stanier, taper boiler rebuild.

The full size Fury, loco no. 6399 had a boiler pressure of up to 1800psi, but was not very successful. I 'm not sure what pressure Martin Evans specified but it was high.

All have 3 cylinders.

Thread: Case Hardening
06/01/2020 21:55:24

The modest amout of machining that I've done with En8 has shown it to be good in that respect. Google suggests that key steel is similar material. Also brings up a free-machining version, En8M, but maybe that isn't so good for hardening.

Thread: Ebay being clogged up by certain sellers
06/01/2020 21:03:47

Slight "fred drift", but has anyone experience of paying VAT and possibly duty on purchases from China that are above the price threshold of £15 or so? Is it payable to the Postie who makes the delivery?

Clive

Thread: Case Hardening
06/01/2020 20:58:10

En8, 0.40% carbon steel is my suggestion. It can be hardened by oil or water quenching from red heat, and then tempered, rather like silver steel.

Thread: How to lubricate pulley shafy bearings?
04/01/2020 22:56:39

Grinding spindles run typically at several thousand rpm. For example, my bench grinder with 150 mm wheels operates at 3000rpm. My Quorn T&C grinder, with 100 mm max. wheels is ~4800 rpm.

I don't think that your spindle could achieve anywhere near those figures. If a grinding wheel is operated too slowly, it cuts "soft", with relatively rapid wear and consequent loss of shape. 1500 surface m/minute would be reasonable for tool grinding.

Also, a sewing machine motor is not the best for a grinding spindle. It's probably a brush type universal motor for which the speed is poorly regulated and very load dependant, at worst the wheel could overspeed. An induction motor, with a flat speed/load characteristic is commonly used.

Clive

Thread: Lathe tool materiall chart
30/12/2019 19:27:57

H5 is/was a designation used by Eclipse, and possibly others. I have several HSS toolbits wtih this marking but I've no idea of its meaning, though I guess it's a non-cobalt material.

Clive

Thread: Switches
29/12/2019 15:30:39

The Invertek can also be configured for remote operation by latching switches. One for start/stop, one for forward/reverse. This is also shown in the Inverter Drive Supermarket Quick start Guide. They sell all the bits and pieces to make up these controls.

Thread: Replacement inverter advise
27/12/2019 14:49:11
Posted by Mark B on 27/12/2019 11:47:38:

Thanks for all the good information here. The Chinese units are very tempting, but on balance I've decided to go for a branded unit. I chatted to the sales engineer at Inverter Drives Supermarket and they recommended a Schneider ATV12 unit which has known EMC filtering and hopefully better reliability given it costed over 2 times as much.

The documentation installing the unit is also really easy to understand.

I have a Schneider ATV12 unit on a small mill. When first fitted it was unuseable as it tripped the workshop RCD when switched on, and an unprotected circuit wasn't practicable.However, the manual, linked to above, does note that this may be a problem as the built-in EMC filter capacitors allow a leakage current path, (p28). The solution is to remove what's referred to as an IT jumper in the unit. I've done this and all is now well.

The Teco VFD on my Boxford also has an EMC isolating jumper, but it's never tripped the RCD. Likewise my recent Ebay purchase has behaved, but I suspect that this is because it doesn't have a filter to cause problems.

25/12/2019 21:18:24
Posted by Mark B on 25/12/2019 17:35:42:

So I need a new inverter!

Does anyone have any experience of these Chinese inverters on ebay:

**LINK**

I bought one of these a couple of months ago to fit to my Fobco drill. The instructions aren't the clearest and obviously i can't comment on its durability but it's worked fine so far.

I would also recommend Inverter Drive Supermarket for price and delivery.

Thread: Part built Allchin 1.5 inch
24/12/2019 18:01:52

I bought my bevel gears from Reeves', but that was a long time ago and they appear not to list them anymore.

Even so, it's perhaps worth a 'phone call just on the off-chance.

Thread: Fobco drill
22/12/2019 12:21:23

Threre shouldn't be any UN threads. I've just made a couple of depth stop nuts for my Fobco. 1/2" BSF. I've also just converted it to 3-phase. A TEC 550W motor, on which I modified the feet to match the Fobco mount and a £50 ebay inverter. All seems good so far.

Note, My Fobco is about 50 years old, I don't know if threads changed in later years, but I somehow doubt it.

Thread: Is COMPAC' DIAL GAUGE METRIC TYPE 532 60mm Dia worth 45?
21/12/2019 17:42:23

I'd echo the comments re lever indicators. I have a couple of Verdicts, one old and one "Sunday Best". They both get regular use and I wouldn't be without one or both. OTOH, I can't remember when I last used one of my plunger indicators. For sheer vesatility and convenience the Verdicts beat them hands down.

Thread: VFD Switch on Frequency
12/12/2019 19:35:27

Defaulting to max. speed on switch-on isn't a normal feature of the VFD fitted with a rotary encoder that I have, a Schneider. It re-starts at the previous speed setting after being switched off at the mains. The same applies to my other VFDs with pots. unless the pot. has been twiddled  whilst the VFD was off.

Somewhere in the parameters should be one controlling the working frequency source. It's worth checking that it's set for panel control rather than, say, external or PC.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 12/12/2019 19:56:19

Thread: Rotary Table
09/12/2019 14:53:29

Looks like those sold by ArcEuroTrade? A good buy.

Thread: Small tooling for a Super 7 QCTP
08/12/2019 19:09:57

I've an Eclipse parting-tool holder from the same family. It's tough but drillable with ordinary drills. Lowish speed and lubricant works. I also did a bit of end milling on it, but it's hard on HSS cutters.

Thread: Horizontal milling arbours
07/12/2019 16:57:50

For occasional home workshop use, I'd consider unhardened, as-turned mild steel arbours quite sufficient. They don't have to be too long.An alternative, for say the 5/8" size could be a 2MT blank bored out with a length of ground silver steel cross pinned in place

2MT tapers are not too difficult to turn if a pattern is available to set the top-slide to match.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest