By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Clive Brown 1

Here is a list of all the postings Clive Brown 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Another workholding problem
19/12/2021 14:40:37

Emgee, the blank is a ring, no material for a 1" hole.

I'd consider holding the blank concentric on the OD, bore 2.36" and face.

Turn a stub of, say, 3" dia material, (steel, LA?? ). to 2.36+" dia for 0.2"+ length.

Mount on the mandrel. Heating or loctite / super-glue will provide secure fit.

Thread: Drilling brass.
14/12/2021 13:16:21

I agree that minimising the pilot hole size or avoiding one altogether is good. Sometimes however, if it's necessary to enlarge an existing hole, this can best be done safely by stepping up the drill sizes in very small increments rather than in one go.

Thread: How old is this Starrett combination set?
12/12/2021 18:31:56

Here's mine.It was given to me about 65 years ago by a great uncle who had been a toolmaker at Austin.( He could talk about someone by the name of Herbert who used to wander about the works! ).

The protractor is neatly stamped "Pat. Aug. 7 1883".

The box is nicely made from mahogany, the sliding lid is about 5mm thick max. no plywood.

I also have some other hand tools that he gave me, dividers, calipers etc. some of which are hand-made, as you did in those days.p1020937.jpg

Thread: Boxford VSL
06/12/2021 20:54:56

My Boxford ME10 is on a fairly stiff steel bench. sitting on a concrete floor, ie fairly rigid. As standard, the 4 lathe foot positions each have screwed jacks through which pass the holding-down bolts. The jacks can be adjusted individually in conjunction with tightening the bolts. I've found this arrangement very necessary to ensure that the lathe turns parallel.

The effect of minor adjustment of the jacks is very marked, reflecting the bed twist that is occurring. I think that you need to take this into account with your bolting down arrangements, it can't be taken for granted.

Thread: Windows 10 "upgrade" to Windows 11 Anyone tried it?
05/12/2021 12:05:43

I would interpret that message as saying that your PC is suitable. In settings > update, my recent PC is currently saying "Great news, this PC meets the minimum requirements for W11" and offers a download and install button.

OTOH, my elderly Laptop clearly said "This PC is not suitable for W11" with no prompting from me.

A "Health Check App" is also available to download from Microsoft for this purpose.

If by chance your PC is not suitable, the installation procedure will abort at a very early stage since ir runs a suitability check as a first operation. If you still really want W11 this check can be circumvented by various means.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 05/12/2021 12:16:28

Thread: Marking blue
29/11/2021 16:12:36

I buy my meths locally at Toolstation / Screwfix £3 for 500ml so, pro rata, similar to your prices, but a bottle lasts memaybe 12 months or more for little outlay.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 29/11/2021 16:13:14

29/11/2021 15:23:18

I use methylated spirits, cheap and also useful around the workshop as a cleaner/ degreaser prior to, eg, loctiting or painting small parts.

Thread: Workshop disposal
28/11/2021 18:57:32

Hi Duncan,

A regular dilemma and a somewhat sad one. The approach depends upon what level of financial return you want from the disposal.

Dealers should offer an easy, low hassle route. the price will be low. They're often regarded as vultures but they have a living to make.

The best returns will be via an on-line auction site but that can require a lot of work in preparing and monitoring adverts and then arranging transportation/postage. There can also be time-wasting non-payers and unreasonable requests for dispatching heavy items.

A model engineering club might work for you but results will be uncertain and multiple potential buyers will have to be dealt with, probably mostly looking for "bargains".

Take your pick.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 28/11/2021 19:00:50

Thread: Parvalux motors
27/11/2021 08:49:35

Hi James,

Do you really need variable speed on this device? Mine is pretty much as specified by GHT with a 2800 rpm fixed speed motor, not Parvalux but similar. This gives speeds, from memory, of around 3000 and 2000 rpm. Since the drill capacity is 5/32" dia. max. I find this completely adequate. The machine isn't really suited to anything much larger.

Thread: Half nut skipping still
25/11/2021 23:11:46

In your picture, the pegs seem to be a rather loose fit in the cam slots. Could this clearance allow the half-nuts to jump out of engagment?

Thread: Best way to make valve guides
22/11/2021 21:25:50

Posted by Mick Bailey on 22/11/2021 18:07:22

I've been unable to drill through this length accurately enough, though I was using HSS drills. The drill always wanders and subsequent finishing follows the original bore

What's the best technique/procedure to use?

I'd consider making a silver steel D-bit to your final diameter. After pilot drilling undersize,this can be started accurately centred in the job and should cut true, correcting any minor wandering of the pilot hole.

Thread: Which Came First?
18/11/2021 21:49:21

I can't see any joint!

bridge.jpg

Thread: BA Allen Keys
17/11/2021 13:11:32

AFAIK they don't exist. All the socket head BA fasteners I've ever used have fractional imperial sockets.

Thread: WEG CFW100 power inverter
14/11/2021 14:36:44
Posted by V8Eng on 14/11/2021 12:19:06:

I found IDS very helpful and knowledgeable on queries about the stuff they sell so might be worth a call

Second that.

I stand to be corrected but when I looked at the WEG specs. with a view to purchasing I formed the view that the 100 series didn't lend itself very readily to pendant control, especally using a potentiometer for speed. That was in part due to IDS not providing a Quick Start Guide showing such details, whereas they do for the more expensive WEG inverters.

I found these illustrated guides invaluable for setting up the inverters that I purchased from IDS.

Thread: GPS as a low-speed Speedometer
07/11/2021 15:51:01

The instrument will calculate speed based on calculated position, which will vary fairly randomly within the margin of error.

The screen display of speed will normally be damped to provide a steady reading.

Michael's 30 seconds of 3 kph might have been due to the loss of satellite cover as he stood in a doorway.

The 12 kph could be the max. instantaneous speed which was damped out and not actually displayed. (Or perhaps he dropped it!)

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 07/11/2021 15:52:31

Thread: Anyone updated to Windows11 yet ?
07/11/2021 12:16:37
Posted by Brian G on 07/11/2021 09:33:04:

Apologies for returning to the original topic, but has anybody else's W11 taskbar moved to the left and been left blank apart from the corner icons? This happened to me this morning after a Windows update, and as Clive Brown pointed out back on page 1, W11's UI customisation doesn't include relocating the taskbar.

A quick search revealed that the taskbar position can be changed in the registry, but this prompts me to wonder if it is still there because it was easier not to remove it, or whether Microsoft intend to bring the customisation option back in future?

If anybody else finds the same problem, there are instructions here HowToGeek

AIUI the registry hack in the link does indeed move the taskbar, but also breaks it, so there doesn't seem much point.

02/11/2021 11:28:39

For the many who have unsupported processors, Windows 11 can be downloaded and installed using a straightforward registry mod. It's described in the most recent issue of "Computer Actve" . Google will also identify it.

Claimed to be approved by Microsoft.

For myself, the most irritating feature of W11 is the inability to position the taskbar at the side of the screen.

Thread: Boxford model CUD mk2 lathe
31/10/2021 23:12:26

Sean, I think it's difficult to make out metric or imperial machines from the serial number. AFAIK, metric Boxfords have the tailstock spindle graduated in metric units.( My imperial machine is in inches). The feed dials have 0.02mm graduations. The lead screw is 3mm pitch.

Thread: I'm behind the times
31/10/2021 22:39:59

I'm all for using Zulu time.

Thread: Boxford model c?
24/10/2021 19:21:48

Hi Rob, I'm puzzled by your description. The primary belt tensioner should pull down on the hinged motor mounting plate behind the lathe bed and completely clear of the gearbox. It's shown as parts 489 and 499 in diagram G in an earlier post above. Turning the knurled nut tightens the belt.

The only fasteners under the headstock are 2 screws clamping it to the bed.

The plate 581 is completely separate from the lathe itself and should be bolted down to the bench behind the lathe.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 24/10/2021 19:26:33

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 24/10/2021 19:27:01

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 24/10/2021 19:27:42

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest