By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Clive Brown 1

Here is a list of all the postings Clive Brown 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Box-Ford travelling steady
31/03/2020 15:40:18

My lathe has an each-way bet!p1020779.jpg

31/03/2020 09:57:49

They are 3/8" BSW x 2" skt. hd. cap screws. Supplied with my steady by Boxford for my ME10.

Thread: Smokebox front ring for Tich ???
30/03/2020 21:22:18

If you want the security of rivets, place them with the heads inside the smokebox and lightly countersink on the outside. With a bit of filing they won't be visible so alignment doesn't matter too much.

Thread: Good reading from DYSON.
30/03/2020 14:44:56

I heard that trials on the Dyson ventilator showed patients were picking up well.smiley

Thread: Boiler making advise
29/03/2020 18:29:49

IMO you will struggle for sufficient heat with your Sievert nozzle. To succeed you'll need very good insulation around the job. I see no reason why you couldn't try with 455 for the entire job to give a better chance of sucess.

I think that I'd treat myself to a burner nozzle one or even two sizes larger.

Clive

Thread: Mot grace
29/03/2020 12:58:01
Posted by Bob Unitt 1 on 29/03/2020 12:46:55:

I wonder if the renewal date on these deferred MOT's will be 12 months after the date of the deferred MOT, or 12 months after the date on which the MOT was originally due ?

I guess the former, otherwise the waiting list in 2021 is going to be very congested.

Thread: Power hacksaw blade choice
29/03/2020 12:52:54

26 tpi is way too fine IMO. I use 10 tpi in my Rapidor as a general purpose blade which seems to work well.

Thread: 7 pin connector 240v?
26/03/2020 14:35:53
Posted by Clive Brown 1 on 26/03/2020 14:34:51:

Would 7 pin Din connectors suit? Cheap as chips on Ebay.

Re-think, perhaps not for 240v.

Sorry, meant to edit first post.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 26/03/2020 14:38:23

26/03/2020 14:34:51

Would 7 pin Din connectors suit? Cheap as chips on Ebay

Thread: VFD & Inverter questions
25/03/2020 11:17:28

A very useful internet resource I've found for VFD info. is the Inverter Drive Supermarket website. They sell a fairly wide range of VFD brands, and for some of these they publish a downloadable Quick Start Guide, as well as the manufacturer's manual. The QSGs are written, I think, by IDS themselves and give very clear details of how to wire and programme for various remote control configurations, eg 2-wire, 3-wire, speed pot.

I don't think they cover the low-cost ebay offering though.

Thread: Boxford AUD clutch
25/03/2020 11:03:40

My version of a belt "clutch" operated by the black knob to RHS of the gearbox. (It's actually a gear-lever knob from a 2 1/2 litre Riley.)

The lever pushes in to operate a spring loaded latch which holds the clutch in the stop position with the motor mounting plate in the up position.

Guides inside the belt cover prevent the belt from snatching at the pulleys when in the stop position.

Sorry abour orientation.p1020771.jpg

24/03/2020 21:08:36

When I acquired my Boxford ME10 back in the '70s, I wasn't keen on frequent switchng of the expensive single phase motor that much of my work seemed to require. I modified the motor mounting to provide a "clutch" by slipping the primary belt. This has proved entirely satisfactory over the years, so much so that I retained it when converting to VFD. OK, perhaps slight slip if I'm really greedy with the cut but no real problem. I wouldn't be without it for speed and convenience of starting and stopping the spindle.

The vee-belt is still the original.

Boxford did offer a factory fitted clutch, an expensive extra and now as rare as hens' teeth.

Thread: vfd question
21/03/2020 11:59:13

I'm surprised that a Boxford seems to take 5 amps. unless under fairly heavy load at highish speed, which I assume is not the case for these trials. Is it certain that the motor is good?

I have one of these VFDs, but not on my Boxford, and it seems good value so far.

Thread: Renovating vice screw and nut
20/03/2020 10:16:22

FWIW, the vice on my 60+ yr. old Rapidor has a 3/4" dia. 10tpi screw, RH; ie 3/4" BSW. Easier to cut than Acme and taps quite cheap.

I don't think that the thread form is all that critical.

Thread: Does Silver Steel normally look like this?
19/03/2020 11:03:49

I bought 1/4" sq. silver steel years ago for lathe tools to make my "Quorn". Looked like BDMS but turned a tough steel casting for the work-head just fine..Incidentally, IMHO, silver steel is much under-rated for making special purpose cutting tools.

Thread: Face turning Bronze castings - strange surface finish
18/03/2020 16:54:37

My prime suspect would be the insert. Bronze is fairly tough stuff. The rather shiny finish shown in the picture suggests a degree of rubbing is taking place, despite the "good" sound. I'd go for a well sharpened HSS tool with some nose radius.

Thread: Sidetracked
15/03/2020 09:11:26

The Hemingway design is GHT, and includes the later mod. of gears to connect the 2 main rolls.

GHT also specified small tommy-bars on the adjusting screws to give a visual reference when operating them.

Thread: Part built Allchin 1.5 inch
10/03/2020 19:48:46

Can you tell if it's once per revolution or twice? If it's once, could it be something like the piston rod gland backing off slightly to be hit by the crosshead? That might explain the sudden onset..

Thread: Websites contacting you
08/03/2020 19:05:23
Posted by Samsaranda on 08/03/2020 17:42:44:

If you have an Alexa and you discuss your future projects and wants list within earshot you will find websites being suggested when you log on to your browser, Big Brother is definitely watching you and listening.
Dave w

If you have Alexa then you have a linked Amazon account. Yes, you will probably be sent ads. just as you are if you browse on the Amazon website. An Ad-blocker might help.

Thread: Chronos multifix toolholder
06/03/2020 21:32:22

I recently had a rush of blood to my head and treated my Boxford to a Chronos Multifix set. So far I'm happy with it. The quality and repeatability seem OK. I've still got my Boxford 4-way toolpost though, it might come in useful for the heaviest work, as would my GHT type rear toolpost.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest