By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Clive Brown 1

Here is a list of all the postings Clive Brown 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Boxford Screwcutting box / Leadscrew binding
13/03/2019 08:49:23

Just to add a little to above; with the gear-train disengaged from the spindle, and the saddle and cross feeds disengaged, the input shaft of the gear-box should turn easily by hand. With the lead-screw rotating check that it isn't slightly bent. Temporarily slacking off the 2 bolts holding the R-H lead-screw support allows a bit of float if the lead-screw is binding. It's a fairly close fit through the saddle gear, which supports it.

Does the saddle easily traverse the full length of the bed by hand?

Don't try to remove the gear-box yet, but it should be possible without removing the headstock, ball-ended allen keys are a help for the 3 screws into the top of the 'box.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 13/03/2019 08:51:05

Thread: Brook Cub 1/2 hp Motor - Capacitor or not?
12/03/2019 16:19:16

Some single phase motors are split phase start without a capacitor. As said, try it and see. They are at the cheaper end of the market and suffer from rather low starting torque and should not be started too frequently to avoid overheating the starting winding. Probably OK for a drill though.

Thread: Beware new engine project!
11/03/2019 08:33:33

I've been thinking of the Centaur as a possible next project. Surely in the last 18 years, Reeves has sold this casting to a number of customers who have gone on to make satisfactory models. Why hasn't this issue been raised before?

Thread: Hydraulic test set up
03/03/2019 19:28:34

I think there would be benefit from a stop valve between the pump outlet and the gauge. Isolating the pump from the boiler would eliminate pressure drop due to pump valve leakage.

Thread: Myford Super 7 motor mounting
26/02/2019 10:13:18

Years ago I repaired a pair of resilient motor mounts for a Myford lathe by moulding using Devcon Flexane. Lasted very well but it's expensive to buy a retail quantity.

Thread: 316 S29 TIG filler rods
25/02/2019 16:49:24

316 stainless is fairly tough stuff and work hardens readily, so it will give your die a fairly hard time. Mild steel would be kinder and brass would be even more so.

Alternatively, could you Loctite the pins into a drilled hole? Much easier than 96 x 12 BA threads .

Thread: Plastic Balls in Bearings?
24/02/2019 13:30:58

Plastic balls are widely used for low friction bearings in marine applications, Torlon, a polyamide, is a common material.

Clive.

Thread: Warco Super - Major Vario inaccuracy
22/02/2019 08:46:51
Posted by Bazyle on 22/02/2019 00:48:

I make it 17 thou. But how do you measure 5 minutes error or is it a back calculation from a measurement of distance?

Agreed, also lack of column squareness would not account for the error originally reported, which was measured by traversing the Y movement.

Thread: Myford gear selection
18/02/2019 13:51:29

AFAIK, the standard Myford 7 change gear set comes with two 20T gears. They would be needed to set up 8 tpi. which is what you are effectively proposing to do

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 18/02/2019 13:51:54

Thread: Using metric threads
13/02/2019 14:55:52
Posted by John Rutzen on 13/02/2019 12:41:10:

Hi just a hint I thought I would pass on after wasting an hour today trying to thread some 8 BA studs. I was trying to grip 3/32 stainless, first in a chuck- no good, it wouldn't grip it. Then I tried a collet, worked but with difficulty. Then the die wouldn't cut the thread.

3/32" dia. material is a bit big for an 8BA die, especially stainless. 7BA would be a better thread which I've often used in conjunction with 3/32 dia. rod.

Thread: Threading a bar for 6ba
07/02/2019 16:39:16

Bill,

Have you considered buying 6BA threaded rod? Rather less hassle than DIY if you need any significant length.

Lots of hits on google/Ebay in several materials.

Thread: Part built Allchin 1.5 inch
07/02/2019 08:31:14

IIRC, the Hughes' construction notes recommends 1/8" dia. PB threaded 5BA. Brass nuts are silver soldered onto the threaded rod to form dummy studs which can then be treated as hex. head bolts whilst having the correct appearance.

I suppose M3 could be substituted for 5BA.

clive

Thread: Very soft stretchy rubber grommets, where from?
06/02/2019 22:25:53

Could you use self-amalgamating rubber tape?

Thread: myford machine vice thread
01/02/2019 20:02:41

Mine, dating from the about the '80s, is 3/8" BSF; ie 20 tpi.

Thread: Fitting a Reversing Switch to a Motor on a Myford Lathe
31/01/2019 19:39:50

I suspect that you can't reverse that particular motor, but be careful what you wish for. I have a lathe with a screwed mandrel nose, a Boxford. The only scar on its bed is due to having a reversible motor.

Thread: Who was W.J. Hughes
31/01/2019 16:19:14

He was a respected contributor to ME in the '60s/ '70s. Mainly known for very detailed constructional series for 1.5" scale Allchin TE. At the time of his death he was describing a Marshal(?) portable engine. I think that he acted as a ME Exhibition juudge for road vehicles.

AFAIK he was a schoolteacher by profession, lived in Sheffield area.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 31/01/2019 16:24:25

Thread: Part built Allchin 1.5 inch
30/01/2019 19:38:34

I'll stick my neck out a bit but I suggest that your error won't be too serious. If the distance between the outer edges of the 2 inlet ports is correct, then basic valve timing will be OK. What you will have is a narrower sealing land between inlet and outlet ports, which might allow a bit more live steam to pass directly to the exhaust. This is not ideal, but not a show stopper.

Others might see it differently.

Thread: Holding sheet metal on milling table
28/01/2019 11:34:22

Soft solder, or perhaps superglue, onto a larger, thicker piece of brass?

Thread: Mill Spindle Readout
20/01/2019 13:18:22

Sorry, thanks to Nigel for his explanation.

Clive

20/01/2019 12:01:40

Ahh! got it, I'd not tried a long press of the zero. Thanks to all, esp. John, for your replies.

Clive,

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
cowbells
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Meridenne Boat 2019
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest