By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Clive Brown 1

Here is a list of all the postings Clive Brown 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Returning ebay bits to china?
27/04/2020 21:15:50

Failing offers from here, how about putting them back on Ebay at a low starting price? Most stuff seems to find a bidder.

Thread: Fake Mitutoyo indicator on Ebay
27/04/2020 15:33:49

An Ebay ad. is required to offer either a physical item, including downloads, or a service. I don't have a real problem with possible fakery for this particular ad. although the presentation is rather questionable, but I do wonder if it can correctly be defined as a service. Perhaps it's a hire service.

One regular ad. is for machine-tool transport. AFAIK, purchasers are sent a token item to fulfill the phyical delivery requirement, although transporting, say, a lathe does indeed seem a service.

25/04/2020 17:58:02

I believe that Moore & Wright started their micrometer manufacturing business with copies, (knock-offs!!) of a Swiss design.smiley

Thread: Number punches
24/04/2020 19:30:19

A suggested use of the GHT Tapping & Staking tool is for letter an number stamping. He described a holder with a square through-hole and spring loading to hold the stamps. I've used this technique for, eg, my Quorn, and with a bit of practice, it works well.

If the raised metal around the imprint is removed with a very fine file, the result is comparable to engraving.

23/04/2020 12:57:42

Soz, don't know how I missed that bit, I was concentrating on the main heading I suppose.blush.

But even more surprise that the top bid wasn't higher!surprise

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 23/04/2020 13:01:10

Thread: Boxford C Lathe
23/04/2020 11:59:43

The red lever can be called the "tumbler reverse lever." The other two levers on the head-stock can be jointly called the "back-gear levers".

The lever on the saddle is the" half nut lever". This engages a split nut with the lead-screw and thus drives the saddle along when the lead-screw is rotating under the control of the tumbler reverse.

Hope that's clear.

23/04/2020 11:48:29

It's a fairly convincing ad. except it doesn't actually quote the name Mitutoyo in the text. Surprises me that it didn't sell for more, considering the price for the genuine article.

BTW, Quoting a London location for Far-eastern items is not uncommon, but I think it's breaking Ebay rules.

23/04/2020 11:24:06

No; the grey lever in the 2nd. pic. is nothing to do with the saddle feed. It's the lever to engage the back-gear, used in conjunction with your "fast/slow" lever in the 1st. pic.

The saddle feed is engaged using the half-nut lever on the front of the saddle, which isn't pictured. This is used in conjunction with the red-knob lever.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 23/04/2020 11:36:05

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 23/04/2020 11:51:02

Thread: Fixed Steady for Square Stock
22/04/2020 08:54:17

What size is the 4-jaw?

My 6" 4-jaw is fairly typical for a model-makers lathe. I'd be happy with drilling and boring aluminium alloy as per OP with around 80mm overhang from the chuck jaws without a steady.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 22/04/2020 09:09:53

Thread: Startrite Mercury drill
21/04/2020 15:11:20
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 21/04/2020 14:37:29:
Posted by Rod Renshaw on 21/04/2020 12:26:05:

[…]

I wonder if the O P has been sent the wrong size nuts […]

Exactly my thought, Rod ... When I asked:

... Have you inspected the new nuts ?

MichaelG.

Well, he says that the minor diameter of the nuts he was sent is 15.5mm. That isn't 5/8" BSF which he ordered, it's larger.

That though doesn't really tally with them not even starting on the male thread on the drill.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 21/04/2020 15:12:49

Thread: Mild Steel Flat Bar?
21/04/2020 10:01:48

In my earlier post, I didn't mean to imply that Reeves was also shut, they appear to be still open, and were doing free p&p. Small section 1/16" BMS flat that I have purchased from them some years ago was not sheared strip. More recent purchase from MACC was also not sheared.

21/04/2020 09:20:29

Several ME suppliers stock this; eg. Reeves, Macc, but currently temporarily closed.

Thread: Startrite Mercury drill
21/04/2020 08:46:02
Posted by David Galt on 21/04/2020 06:39:23:

I have minimally inspected the new nuts with a vernier only, as I don’t have thread gauges. Internal diameter inside the nut is 15.5mm. It’s difficult to measure the tpi

The minor dia. for 5/8" BSF is about 14mm, so whatever you have been supplied with doesn't seem to be that.

Nearer to 11/16" BSF in fact.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 21/04/2020 08:50:12

Thread: Myford ml10 vertical milling slide
19/04/2020 08:40:04

I owned a swivelling Myford slide, used with my Grayson, and then with my Boxford for a while. Not used a fixed version, which I'd expect to be slightly more rigid, but the swivelling version is perfectly useable. Obviously they are both limited to light cuts and fairly small cutters. The clamping bolts of the swivelling version need to be well tightened since there is quite a lot of "overhang " from them. TBH, I didn't need to use the swivel facility very often, but it can be useful.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 19/04/2020 08:41:48

18/04/2020 19:16:04

Ah!! Sam's comment has prompted me to wonder if the OP is indeed thinking that the back-gear lever is for reversing the spindle. This would indeed lock thing up until the lever by the chuck , not shown in the photo, is operated.

18/04/2020 15:53:59

Can't add much to Martin's reply, but "locking up" sounds a trifle worrying in case of damage. Do you mean the main spindle or just the gears themselves. The red knob has three positions, each with a spring detent.

For a Boxford "C", with no power cross-feed;

1, carriage moving right to left; 2. neutral; 3. carriage moving left to right.

To reverse the main spindle, the motor must be reversed by its switch.

The change gears should be set up with small but definite free backlash between each stage, otherwise they might bind up at some point in their rotation. This backlash on the banjo gears can be adjusted by small movement of the axles which are clamped by a nut behind each gear. The mesh of the topmost gear can be adjusted by slackening the clamp bolt behind the gear on the leadscrew and swinging the whole banjo.

Put the red knob in neutral and see if you can turn the gears by hand in both directions.

Hope that helps.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 18/04/2020 15:55:21

Thread: Boxford handwheel handles
17/04/2020 18:28:52

They'll be BSW.

Thread: Boxford Tailstock Accessories
15/04/2020 11:38:45

Paragon Paints do "Boxford Smoke Grey", they advertise on Ebay, a bit pricey but OK for a full paint job. For small accessories, I've mixed Humbrol grey with a bit of blue until it looks near enough.

The less common green that they used is given on Lathes.uk website as BS RAL 6011

14/04/2020 15:05:14

fThe Boxford manual is called "Know your lathe". Can be purchased from various on-line outlets. Also, if you search for "Know your Lathe pdf" I'm fairly sure that there's a download out there somewhere.

Hope that helps

.http://www.pulse-jets.com/boxford/bo...your_lathe.pdf

Edit, here's a link

Edit again, link's not working but can be found by google search.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 14/04/2020 15:12:31

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 14/04/2020 15:13:50

Thread: Boxford Toolpost
13/04/2020 12:59:27
Posted by Sam Spoons on 13/04/2020 12:21:21:

This is a shoestring budget project and will probably only get occasional use so I'm leaning towards the four way but the easier adjustability of the QCTP is undeniably attractive (for occasional use ease of setup and operation is important.

If you want cheap, then for years I used toolholders like these on my Boxford. Made from a short length of 1" x 5/8" BMS with a 1/4" slot milled in for the HSS toolbit. The clamp in the photo is actually Myford, but easily made.

I made 15 or so. Not repeatablebut very quick and versatile. For the very heaviest jobs I used a Boxford 4-way, but that wasn't often. ( I've now spent the kids' inheritanceon a QCTP).

Tool-holder

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest