By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Clive Brown 1

Here is a list of all the postings Clive Brown 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: reversing gear
18/08/2019 15:49:14

The lifting link between the bellcrank and the expansion link seems to be omitted from the LH diagram.

Thread: 5" gauge 'Metre Maid' cylinder piston stiff
18/08/2019 15:46:47

Perhaps the slide-bar is not exactly parallel to, or the wrong dimension from, the cylinder centre-line. That could be adjusted by appropriate shimming.

Thread: 4 jaw chuck axial allignment
17/08/2019 20:13:08

I think you're asking a lot for many 4-jaw chucks, especially well used ones.

Can you arrange your machining sequence to drill an accurate centre hole in what will be the RH end of the workpiece? This might need a reasonably sized bore through the mandrel.

If so, grip the LH end in the 4-jaw, with not too much jaw engagement and adjust to run true while the RH end is centred by a tailstock mounted centre, preferably a live centre.

Thread: Can Anyone Help Me to Identify This Very Old Boiler Please?
17/08/2019 09:02:46

I thought that as well as for cleaning, man-holes in full-sized were sometimes required for construction reasons.

eg; the proverbial "apprentice" would be sent in to hold the nuts for the cylinder mounting bolts, as in Jason's boiler.

Thread: Should I begin with mild steel on lathe?
16/08/2019 15:18:23

Silver steel is high carbon, ~1% + chromium. As such it can be heat-treated to a very high hardness level and is useful for metal cutting tools, punches etc. etc Often supplied in accurately ground diameters.

"Carbon steel" is a fairly general term, often for steels of higher strength than mild steel. The carbon content is higher than that of mild steel and would be chosen to meet the design requirements. Carbon steels above about 0.3%C can be hardened by heat treatment .

Mild steel is ~0.1% C and cannot be hardened

The term is also sometimes used for non-stainless steel.

Thread: Can Anyone Help Me to Identify This Very Old Boiler Please?
14/08/2019 18:58:34

Bill,

Reason for saying there aren't tubes is I can't see any sign of a smokebox tubeplate. Neither is there any access for cleaning assuming its solid fuel The safety-valve passageway would also have to pass through the smokebox, but this could be the case I suppose

Boiler could be filled via the safety-valve.

14/08/2019 18:16:48

Nicely made, but as a steam producer, I would expect its performance to be poor, only the central flue for heat transfer, unless there are cross tubes in the firebox. I can't see a steam off-take either.  What's it made of?

I've no real idea, but might it be some type of "novelty" hot -water urn for making tea in the workshop, heated by coal or, less smokey, charcoal?

This thought was prompted by the generously sized tap by the foundation ring.

Might be of interest to a collector of mechanical bits and bobs.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 14/08/2019 18:18:58

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 14/08/2019 18:21:59

Thread: Part built Allchin 1.5 inch
14/08/2019 11:11:42

Your thinking is correct. The piston screws along the piston rod for adjustment of the end gaps, with a locking nut to fix its position.

IIRC, Hughes shows the design for a 'C' spanner to use for this.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 14/08/2019 11:11:55

Thread: New Milling Machine
13/08/2019 15:09:28

The SX2.7 compares size-wise more with the WM16 rather than the WM14. I've recently bought a WM16B with imperial graduations. I'm pleased with my purchase so far, value for money wise it's impressive. Its speed range of 100-3000rpm is useful. My current project is a 5" gauge loco and the 16B copes well enough although machines of this size are not intended to produce mountains of steel swarf.

I think that I'd be reluctant to go smaller though. I've not fitted a DRO.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 13/08/2019 15:13:34

Thread: Another scam
09/08/2019 11:57:48

The 1572 Blacklist is part of the BT Call Protect system which you need to have. Works for most spam calls AFAIK if you so choose.

Thread: Home built trailer
05/08/2019 21:35:37

My understanding is that inspection applies to all new trailers,including home built, since 2012.

A 'phone call to your nearest Indepension shop might be helpful.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 05/08/2019 21:39:12

Thread: Is there a type of Sellotape/"sticky-backed-plastic" that forms a PERMANENT bond
30/07/2019 19:10:14

3M manufacture VHB, (very high bond) tapes for industrial use, vehicle trim etc. Available via ebay. Might be worth a try.

Thread: Three jaw indipendent chuck
26/07/2019 19:46:19

But my question why are independent three jaw chucks not available

Bob

Because there's probably not much demand for them, (some-one will now post a link!).

They would be tricky to adjust as moving one jaw would release the work and also require both of the other jaws to be adjusted, and.by a different amount.

Thread: Wanted ... design for snifting valve suitable for large boilered Tich.
10/07/2019 15:16:53

Hi,

ME design for a 5" gauge version to illustrate features. The valve body is attached to the smokebox wall by the 3/8" thread using a suitable nut.The 5/16" thread is piped to the wet header. The valve allows air to be drawn into the header when the regulator is shut whilst the loco coasts. Steam shuts the valve when the regulator is opened.

Its positioning can be anywhere convenient.

snifting valve.jpg

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 10/07/2019 15:21:11

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 10/07/2019 15:23:12

Thread: Hot water from the snifting valve,
05/07/2019 12:31:20

Don't know the Coumbia design, but does the ashpan have any damper arrangement that might be stifling the fire?

Or perhaps the builder hasn't provided sufficient air hole area past the ashpan. Have you seen this loco in steam?

The discharge from the snifting valve may well be because it needs pressure to keep it closed. The regulator might be leaking slightly, as many do, allowing this leakage past the valve.

Clive.

Thread: Internal collets
03/07/2019 11:34:16

Expanding mandrels are useful, but i'd think that accuracy could be an issue, With the ER system, the concentricity is maintained by the 16 deg. taper solidly mounted on the machine spindle. With the expanding system, keeping the taper concentric with the machine spindle would be more difficult.

Clive

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 03/07/2019 11:47:32

Thread: Using a Metal Cutting Disc on the SX2 Mill
24/06/2019 20:33:15

The method obviously works but, for myself, I'd not be too happy with a cutting disc in my mill. Also, at the low spindle speed, i'd expect disc wear to be fairly high giving lots of grit.

For such a job, I'd probably go for mounting the bar in a 4-jaw independant chuck in the lathe and parting off to just over the required length for subsequent facing off. No pricey slitting saw going dull and no grinding grit.

Tailstock support using a small centre hole in the r/h end of the bar might be helpful.

Just my two-penn'orth

Clive

Thread: Warco WM16 machine vice
20/06/2019 09:45:38

I have a WM16B and the vice I mostly use is an equivalent to the Arc Versatile Milling Vice, 80mm jaw width. The swivel feture is hardly used although it can be handy on the rare occasions I want to mount the vice "lengthways" on the table.

I've also a 4" Abwood but that's a bit of a heavyweight for most of my work.

If the size suits your intended use, the Arc vice is good value imo and larger sizes are available

Can't suggest a particular table except to say that I wouldn't wish to have smaller than 5" or 6 "

hope that helps

Clive

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 20/06/2019 09:46:01

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 20/06/2019 09:54:11

Thread: Making High Speed Steel Injector D Bits
16/06/2019 19:23:52

Laurie Lawence, in his fairly comprehensive series of articles in ME of 1986, suggested that making an LBSC injector that worked was mainly a matter of luck. He saw the design proportions as being satisfactory, but the simplified manufacturing description did not allow consistency.

The DAG Brown book builds on the Laurie Lawrence methods.

Thread: Jones- Shipman tool spares supplier
16/06/2019 13:38:03

Rotagrip do some J&S tooling I think. Might be worth contacting them.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Meridenne Boat 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
cowbells
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest