By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Clive Brown 1

Here is a list of all the postings Clive Brown 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hum on phone.
26/08/2018 09:14:11

Could it be that a broadband filter is missing / duff? We once had bad hum. It turned out that an extension bell fitted to the system needed a filter, as well as the 'phones.

Thread: Solder..?
24/08/2018 10:06:26

Probably more or less how lead soldiers were made once upon a time.

Just to add; I used plaster-of-paris to cast lead keels for model sailing boats. Best to make sure it's dry though.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 24/08/2018 10:30:48

Thread: Injector Testing Valve
23/08/2018 19:04:41

Thanks John but armed with the ME issue number I've now found the relevant article. As i hinted in a previous post, I discarded quite a number of ME's when moving house, since regretted, but fortunately the 1975 vol. was still with me.

I've ordered D A G Brown's book, which hasn't yet arrived, i didn't know it contained details of a test valve.

To date, I've been following the D E Lawrence articles, but I havn't been very satisfied with my efforts so a method of testing in the workshop seems attractive.

Thread: Solder..?
23/08/2018 15:06:14

If it's 60/40 Sn/Pb it is general purpose, free flowing solder. I have a similar stick, going back decades.

Plumbers solder for wiped joints AFAIK, is (was!), 40/60 Sn/Pb This has a much wider "plastic" temperature range

Thread: Injector Testing Valve
23/08/2018 13:22:11

Thanks very much to both of you.

Didn't know of the EIM article. I might have the ME though, despite the recent house move. Off now for a burrow in the loft!

23/08/2018 10:21:06

Years ago, there was a description in ME of a valve that enabled testing of an injector against boiler steam pressure but without the water flow entering the boiler. My recall was that the article was by Bill Carter, around the time of Laurie Lawrence's injector series.

Can anyone provide the date/ issue number or any alternative description?

TIA,

Clive.

Thread: Spares for cheap Bandsaw
06/08/2018 19:57:24

I tyred the wheels on my home-made bandsaw with Pirelli rubber upholstery webbing, cut to suit. Glued it onto the aluminium wheels with Evostick contact adhesive. That was many years ago. Still going strong, albeit looking a bit tired looking by now; (sorry!)

Clive

Thread: Ball Turning attachment for a Cowells?
01/08/2018 20:32:52
Posted by Steve Sherlock on 01/08/2018 20:21:18:..

I noticed Ebay has plenty for sale, but not really sure if any on there would be suitable or fit I actually don't need it to turn a full sphere, it would be to chamfer and half dome some round for a volume knob.

If it's just a "one-off", consider making a graving tool or graver by sharpening a piece of tool-steel, silver or HSS, and mounting firmly in a good sized file-handle. This can be used with an improvised hand-turning rest in the tool-post to shape your work-piece. Rather like wood turning. Metal removal rate can be quite quick and a good finish is fully possible on steel or non-ferrous.

Clive

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 01/08/2018 20:39:42

Thread: Copper Solid Rivets
29/07/2018 16:36:55

Are the original panels aluminium?

For aluminium boat equipment, eg aluminium masts etc. copper rivets and brass fittings would be an absolute no-no for corrosion reasons. Might be less of a problem with a car perhaps, especially if well painted, but aluminium rivets should be readily available if you so decided, and possibly easier to set.

Clive.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 29/07/2018 16:37:40

Thread: GHT Drive Belt Material
08/07/2018 21:23:10

Look for round polyurethane belting. Widely available, eg try ebay.

IIRC, mine is 5mm. dia.

It's worth taking a little trouble over joining. Heat a suitable piece of mild sleel, hold both ends in flat contact with it for a few seconds, then push together firmly. Takes a bit of a knack to get the joint well aligned, but practice make perfect!

Should add that cutting the ends as square as possible with a sharp blade aids a good join.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 08/07/2018 21:44:59

Thread: myford ml2 / ml4 motor
06/07/2018 11:33:38

I bought my motor and VFD from Inverter Drive Supermarket, (Google them). Next day delivery, wide range of motors, mainly TEC. No connection other than as a satisfied customer.

Thread: Surface Grinder, luxury or essential?
05/07/2018 11:57:19

I've "model engineered" in my home workshop for 45+ years without thinking that I need a surface grinder, or having access to one. All of my very capable ME acquaintances seem to get by without one as well.

I

Thread: Collet Chucks
04/07/2018 08:50:58
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 03/07/2018 22:23:30:

Just a thought, I'm not familiar with the Chronos product.

Some collet chucks come with adjusting screws to match the machine accurately. Cheaper versions are trued by tapping them into position - the register is a deliberately loose fit. It wasn't one of those was it?

No, I did look at the Chronos product but ended up making my own, I wanted ER25 and, IIRC, Chronos ony did ER32. The chuck is a one-piece unit screwing directly onto the spindle nose, just like a normal chuck backplate. No adjustment is possible. Interestingly, I've just looked at the Chronos site, and they now seem to offer back-plate mounted ER chucks, (a-la Arc?), which could allow for slight "adjustment". I think that's a very recent offering. They're a bit dearer than the direct-mounting type, but might suit the OP better.

Clive

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 04/07/2018 08:55:44

01/07/2018 18:09:28

If the chuck register is 1.505", then I think that you've got a Friday afternoon job.

I've just measured a Boxford o/e backplate for my lathe. The register is, as close as I can measure, 1.501" at the most.

Thread: Inverter advice
22/06/2018 08:37:29

Take care if thinking of buying on ebay from a non-EU supplier. The price may seem good, but if more than a few pounds, my understanding is that import duty, VAT and a Post Office fee might be added.

Can't really advise on an inverter for you, but I've found Inverter Drive Supermarket to offer good prices and service.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 22/06/2018 08:37:59

Thread: Recommend a mid- range vice please
19/06/2018 08:46:23

I'd suggest looking at Rotagrip. I bought from them an 80mm version of the vice linked to by the OP, cost £75 plus delivery. I'm well pleased with it. I don't really use the swivel function though.

They have other sizes, including 100mm and brands.

Thread: Machining a cast wheel what do you grip first?
13/06/2018 08:57:21

I would normally hold it in the 4-jaw by the inside rim and set the "as-cast" inside rim as true as possible. The outer rim, boss and bore can then be machined. This approach might need to be modified, dependant on the exact geometry

Thread: Aldi bandsaw
11/06/2018 08:39:43

I have a home-made bandsaw to which I fit the common DIY 1/4" x ~59" blades. My "standard" blade is 14 tpi, with this recently I've cut loads of 1.6mm brass sheet for a 5" tender, plus thicker and thinner oddments including 12 mm steel and some round bar with no problems.

The blade speed is reasonably lowish though, about 250 ft/min at a guess, I'll have to check.

Thread: testing injectors.
10/06/2018 20:38:46

Laurie Lawrence, in his series on injectors in ME 1986, mentions an injector testing pressure valve designed by Bill Carter, but I have no reference for it. It enables testing against boiler pressure, but with the water delivery going to waste instead of filling the boiler. Could be useful, has anyone got more details?

Thread: How to apply etch primer without damaging the internals of an airbrush?
04/06/2018 14:54:51

I've used the fairly cheap Badger basic airbrush with Precision Paints etch primer for an Allchin TE and a 5" Simplex. I also use it for normal enamels. I've not noticed any discernable effect from the etch primer and I'd probably use it with my more expensive DeVilbiss airbrush if need be.

Thorough cleaning after use is obviously needed.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 04/06/2018 14:56:20

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
cowells
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest