By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Clive Brown 1

Here is a list of all the postings Clive Brown 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Water Lifter Hose
19/09/2019 15:16:27

For the 1 1/2" Allchin, W Hughes described wrapping tinned copper wire around 1/4" rubber tube. He suggested grey tube, which is not common, and fuse wire, 10 or 15 amp, I forget which, but it's 0.015" dia or 28 swg.

His method was to wrap 3 lengths of wire side by side, then remove 2, to give the spacing.

Thread: Ebay site changes for the worst
18/09/2019 09:56:13

i've never received such an offer based on my watch list. Indeed, when I've had items listed for sale, I've not been aware of who the watchers were or how to contact them. TBH, I'd be suspicious of a scam, or at least, an attenpt to circumvent Ebay's rules.

Add:-  just looked at Ebay page, maybe this is a fairly new legitimate feature, so above comment is incorrect.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 18/09/2019 10:02:47

Thread: Quorn Mk3
06/09/2019 15:37:14
Posted by ega on 06/09/2019 14:20:37:

I couldn't see anything about speed control which seems a shame.

Didn't the original design deliberately give a fixed top speed within the maximum for the largest wheel and Prof. Chaddock gave some words of warning on this, including the type of motor to be fitted. Also, one function of the belt guards on the Mk. 2, which was intended for commercial use, was to discourage non-standard pulleys.

The new tooth rest looks as if it might be a useful improvement over the original rather awkward affair.

Can't see just how the "unholy" circular tee-slot has been dealt with though.

I think the appeal of the Quorn to the general modeller has reduced since its introduction in the '70's with the availability of fairly cheap cutters, which can be treated as "throw-aways" and TC inserts. There are also simpler T&C grinder designs available.

Also, the 4 flute end-mills on the market now mostly seem to have one cutting lip drawn over-centre, a feature that I've not found a way of deaing with on my Quorn without damaging the other lips.

Clive

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 06/09/2019 15:38:07

Thread: Part built Allchin 1.5 inch
03/09/2019 19:18:47

What tool are you using for the turning? For that diameter of work, a very sharp tool is needed, well honed HSS or, if a carbide insert, then one with a ground finish, sold as intended for aluminium etc. The ordinary coated inserts for steel are not sharp and will cause too much deflection of slender work.

Incidentally, 4 BA spec. is 3.6 mm OD if you're making studs as tight as possible.

Hope that helps,

Clive

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 03/09/2019 19:19:35

Thread: Raglan Miller manual & dial removal
31/08/2019 16:29:11

Hi Chris, on mine the micrometer dial slides off the shaft after the woodruff key for the handle is removed. The dial itself is a friction assembly with its own key.

Hope I've remembered correctly and it's some help.

Thread: Not Your Modern Lathe Tools
31/08/2019 13:28:17

Just a bit of UK industrial history, the large lathe tool marked ESC is a product of English Steel Corporation. They were largely Sheffield based and are now part of Sheffield Forgemasters. They used the logo EaiSCut on their tool-steel products IIRC. (geddit ?? )

The tool shown appears to have their Manchester, Openshaw Works marking

Thread: 5 inch Stirling Single - Maker identification needed
27/08/2019 08:53:10

Reeves offer a design by J Scarth, who won an award with the original model. A friend of mine built one, but found the inadequacies of the drawings very frustrating. He eventually bought the Clarksons drawings, who offered their version, to supplement them, but I can't remember if he found them much better.

Although Clarksons seems to have passed on to Blackgates, the Blackgates Stirling single that they currently list appears to be a 2-2-2 by Martin Evans.

BTW, I can't see the springs in the photo above having much flexibility.

A thought has just occurred that I heard that the Reeves drawings may have been revised in later years, but I'm very uncertain of that.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 27/08/2019 08:57:52

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 27/08/2019 08:59:46

Thread: ACME thread identification question.
25/08/2019 21:03:23

I've owned 2 Boxfords, both imperial, one of them from new. Both have 7/16" x 10 tpi LH single start feedscrews.

Thread: Part built Allchin 1.5 inch
25/08/2019 20:57:07

Bill, I was thinking of a bronze insert with a very small countersunk head, rather like a c'sk rivet, the head to prevent it dropping through into the boiler but otherwise a small clearance fit in the hole and a fairly light c'sk on the boiler shell to provide a "run-in" for the solder. Drilling and tapping for the cylinder studs would be after blending the inserts and solder to the boiler shell.

One caveat; care would be needed for the initial drilling out the holes in the shell to ensure that the edge of the internal reinforcement plate doesn't deflect the drill. A slot drill might be best for this, but Derek might not have a suitable machine.

25/08/2019 19:57:18

Derek, the boiler is definitely recoverable and since a kit alone costs nearly £700 it's worth a good try. I've indicated my suggested solution, which I still favour, although I realise that you will have to arrange the work with someone who can silver solder. The job, to such a person, is not demanding. Even a local engineering fabrication shop might have the expertise.

You'vealready shown some good work with limited resouces. If you carry on this track you will end up with a lovely model.

25/08/2019 08:59:22

That's a real downer. You might just get away with it but at the risk of investing a lot of further effort only to find that the cylinder / boiler joint can't be well sealed. Also, a boiler inspector, assuming that he knew, might not be very keen on the departure from the published arrangement.

If you put in studs prior to mounting the cylinder, I think that you would find difficulty getting the studs through the cylinder flange unless you elongated the holes in the flange rather a lot and I don't see much real benefit.

My feeling is to consider drilling out the holes, say 6-7mm, countersink, and silver solder in 4 bronze bushes to be drilled and tapped. Not a too difficult job for someone who has boiler making expertise, and perhaps oxy-propane kit for localised heat. The bushes could be filed to blend with the boiler outer surface.

The existing threads need protection whilst soldering

Perhaps the local club has someone who can help. Best of luck.

clive

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 25/08/2019 09:03:18

Thread: Thread sizes on flexispeed meteor lathe
20/08/2019 11:45:30
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 20/08/2019 11:32:23:

While not relevant to a lathe, at least hopefully!, just because there is a BSF/BSW head size on a bolt does not necessarily mean that is the thread - Morris at their Coventry (ex Hotchkiss) engine plant used metric threads with BSW heads on Morris engines until 1954 and even later on MG and Wolseley engines!

I owned a pre-war Morris 20 with that type of fastener. IIRC the 8mm thread size was 1mm pitch, finer even than BSF.

Clive

20/08/2019 11:07:56

A fairly good visual guide to whether a fastener is BS or unified is the size of the hexagon. Unified fasteners  have smaller hexagons, generally in 1/16" increments. BS fasteners don't follow this rule.

Eg; 3/8" UNC = 9/16" af hexagon; 3/8" BSW = 0.6", (later) or 0.71", (earlier) af hexagon.

Spanners aren't interchangable between the two systems.

Origin of the unified system is America and came into the motor industry post WW2.

Unified bolts often have a circular depression on the head, or at least, they used to.

Clive

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 20/08/2019 11:08:53

19/08/2019 20:20:54

Very probably Whitworth threads for that era. Especially if tapped into iron castings

Thread: reversing gear
18/08/2019 16:47:56
Posted by JasonB on 18/08/2019 16:26:41:

Lifting links are there, one on each side. They are round ended.

Ah,sorry quite correct. I'm with it now.

18/08/2019 15:49:14

The lifting link between the bellcrank and the expansion link seems to be omitted from the LH diagram.

Thread: 5" gauge 'Metre Maid' cylinder piston stiff
18/08/2019 15:46:47

Perhaps the slide-bar is not exactly parallel to, or the wrong dimension from, the cylinder centre-line. That could be adjusted by appropriate shimming.

Thread: 4 jaw chuck axial allignment
17/08/2019 20:13:08

I think you're asking a lot for many 4-jaw chucks, especially well used ones.

Can you arrange your machining sequence to drill an accurate centre hole in what will be the RH end of the workpiece? This might need a reasonably sized bore through the mandrel.

If so, grip the LH end in the 4-jaw, with not too much jaw engagement and adjust to run true while the RH end is centred by a tailstock mounted centre, preferably a live centre.

Thread: Can Anyone Help Me to Identify This Very Old Boiler Please?
17/08/2019 09:02:46

I thought that as well as for cleaning, man-holes in full-sized were sometimes required for construction reasons.

eg; the proverbial "apprentice" would be sent in to hold the nuts for the cylinder mounting bolts, as in Jason's boiler.

Thread: Should I begin with mild steel on lathe?
16/08/2019 15:18:23

Silver steel is high carbon, ~1% + chromium. As such it can be heat-treated to a very high hardness level and is useful for metal cutting tools, punches etc. etc Often supplied in accurately ground diameters.

"Carbon steel" is a fairly general term, often for steels of higher strength than mild steel. The carbon content is higher than that of mild steel and would be chosen to meet the design requirements. Carbon steels above about 0.3%C can be hardened by heat treatment .

Mild steel is ~0.1% C and cannot be hardened

The term is also sometimes used for non-stainless steel.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Advertise With Us
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest