By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Clive Brown 1

Here is a list of all the postings Clive Brown 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New three jaw chuck suggestions
12/11/2019 21:41:40

I have a PB 4" Grip-Tru, purchased new, on my Boxford. It's not a bad chuck but I don't think I'd buy again. It's fairly awkward to adjust and if set accurately for a particular diameter it's not spot-on for a different diameter.

I find a 4-jaw independant quicker to adjust, but obviously needs to be set every time.

Basically I just use it as an ordinary 3-jaw, no better or worse than my PB 5".

Thread: EN3 bowing after machining
12/11/2019 19:59:40

Is it bright drawn material, 'cos that will be worse than hot rolled? You could have reduced the thickness to14mm by taking 3mm from each side of the bar.

Clive

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 12/11/2019 20:00:12

Thread: Cutting stainless steel rod. Bandsaw or chopsaw?
03/11/2019 20:29:15

I can't imagine an Aldi bandsaw blade lasting very long cutting an austenitic steel such as 303. I'd consider an angle grinder for that purpose. OK for non-ferrous and ordinary steels though.

Thread: new computer
03/11/2019 18:47:42
Posted by Douglas Johnston on 03/11/2019 18:10:09:

Well, thanks for all that information, even the scary bits! I agree with Stuart, at 9 years old I think it is time for a replacement. I have noticed that a lot of machines now come with either a single SSD or a combination of SSD and large HDD. I am told that SSD drives are much faster, but wonder if that is true in the real world. My comment about the lack of tower desktops was only based on a tour of the local PC World store.

Is there an easy way of backing up the Windows 10 operating system since you don't get a hard copy DVD these days?

Doug

No doubt that an SSD is much faster than a traditional HDD, this speed is most noticeable in machine boot-up time. An SSD is perhaps best used in conjunction with an HDD with the OS and programmes on a fairly small SSD for speed and cost effectiveness with data stored on a larger HDD .

The OS can be cloned as back-up if you so wish, but Windows 10 OS is readiy available as a download for re-installation on a machine that already has a legitimate activation code

Thread: sievert cyclone burner
02/11/2019 15:23:16

Not used one myself, but I have a friend who has used one for just the reason that you say on boilers that he has made. He finds it very satisfactory AFAIK.

Thread: MINNIE TRACTION - Steam link between Cylinder Block and Boiler
28/10/2019 16:08:36

If the total cross-sectional area of the holes is comfortably larger than the exhaust blast orifice area, I'd think that was OK.

Re the boiler in the photo; ideally I'd put the holes on the boiler vertical centre-line if possible to maximise the height above the water level.

Thread: Part built Allchin 1.5 inch
27/10/2019 14:16:25
Posted by derek blake on 27/10/2019 10:58:04:

Anyone who’s how to remove broken 10ba tap? I was tapping fixing and it snapped in the bush angry

Regards

Derek

I'd definitely try to remove it. Nitric acid, brick cleaner or alum will do the job. Search this site or google for "broken tap".

Thread: Jacobs model 6414 chuck - removal
27/10/2019 13:51:25

Try putting say a hex. allen key in the chuck, or the chuck key, if it has one, in one of the 3 holes and giving it a whack. with a mallet. Don't overdo it though.

Just looked at the link, seems to be  no key.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 27/10/2019 13:53:32

Thread: Boxford metric lead screw fitted to imperial lathe?
26/10/2019 21:59:30

The overall leadscrew length of a model B/C 22" crs. Boxford is 44" approx. and 6" shorter for a model A.

The longer leadscrew can be shortened in order to fit a gearbox, using the lathe itself.

26/10/2019 20:59:32

If you change the leadscrew for imperial, then you will have a fully imperial lathe for which the 127/100 gear will then give you a full metric range. The replacement leadscrew should really be matched to imperial half-nuts, but wear just might take care of that if the existing ones are indeed metric.

As the lathe stands, as JasonB points out, you should get a number of metric pitches, with no cost involved, The 135/100 gear is intended for a fully metric lathe and will need some thinking out if used with your imperial 'box.

PS, if buying a leadscrew, some early AUD lathes were 16" centres, with correspondingly shorter leadscrews, but they are mostly 22".

Thread: Silicon piston ring
26/10/2019 16:08:03

A few sellers on Ebay offer silicone O-rings of 26mm OD. 3mm & 4mm cross-section. Either red or translucent food grade.

Thread: Coke for brazing purposes
23/10/2019 11:08:17

A benefit of using coke would be the extra heat generated by its combustion. This might be less useful now with the availability of poweful propane torches, compared with the fearsome 5 pint blowlamp of old.

Thread: VFD Instructions
17/10/2019 15:41:26

Thanks for responses, seems reasonably encouraging. I've now had further replies from two Ebay vendors. They each say that they will ask their supplier, presumably in China, if instructions are included. I'd have thought that they could at least opened a box and looked. Doesn't bode too well for prompt product support if needed.

Re Paul White's question; I'm no expert but, within reason, I don't think a VFD rating somehat greater than the motor power will cause any problem. The VFD parameters may be settable to the motor size.

Clive

17/10/2019 11:54:44

I'm thinking of buying a cheap (new, £50ish ) VFD from Ebay. Do these items, listed as "unbranded" generally come with programming instructions or is it a case of buyer beware, any experiences?

I've tried emailing the UK? suppliers but no definite answer as yet.

TIA,

Clive

Thread: Axminster SU1 Horizontal Mill
16/10/2019 09:04:14

I owned an SU1 for a while. As a vertical miller I found it an effective machine, accurate and fairly sturdy, albeit, as said, with limited height under the spindle. The mounting of the spindle on the sliding overarm could be useful for some set-ups to gain extra throat depth.

As a horizontal miller I was less impressed. The minimum speed was rather high at ~200rpm, at which point torque was low and rotational speed was becoming uneven. I found that steel could be usefully cut only with fairly small slitting saws, although, obviously, more was possible with non-ferrous metals.

A point to note is that the spindle and motor assembly is fairly hefty and needs to be slid into a close-fitting bore for the horizontal set-up. To do this, I needed to be able stand at the rear of the machine, so positioning it close against a wall would make for very awkward handling.

Thread: Help with a boxford c
14/10/2019 15:33:31
Posted by Bazyle on 14/10/2019 12:55:54:

You don't really need more than 1/2 HP on a Boxford, 3/4 might make you feel superior. Mostly a lathe is only using a fraction of the motor rating until you insist on taking a deep cut at high speed. If you need 1HP then you are doing something that needs a bigger lathe.

+1. I ran my ME10 from new with a 1/2 hp single phase motor with no real issues except perhaps using large drills, say 20mm +, into steel at the higher speeds. Then it was probably belt slip rather than lack of motor power.

After 40 years use, I changed to a 3/4 hp 3 phase + inverter. Again no problems.

Thread: Water Lifter Hose
19/09/2019 15:16:27

For the 1 1/2" Allchin, W Hughes described wrapping tinned copper wire around 1/4" rubber tube. He suggested grey tube, which is not common, and fuse wire, 10 or 15 amp, I forget which, but it's 0.015" dia or 28 swg.

His method was to wrap 3 lengths of wire side by side, then remove 2, to give the spacing.

Thread: Ebay site changes for the worst
18/09/2019 09:56:13

i've never received such an offer based on my watch list. Indeed, when I've had items listed for sale, I've not been aware of who the watchers were or how to contact them. TBH, I'd be suspicious of a scam, or at least, an attenpt to circumvent Ebay's rules.

Add:-  just looked at Ebay page, maybe this is a fairly new legitimate feature, so above comment is incorrect.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 18/09/2019 10:02:47

Thread: Quorn Mk3
06/09/2019 15:37:14
Posted by ega on 06/09/2019 14:20:37:

I couldn't see anything about speed control which seems a shame.

Didn't the original design deliberately give a fixed top speed within the maximum for the largest wheel and Prof. Chaddock gave some words of warning on this, including the type of motor to be fitted. Also, one function of the belt guards on the Mk. 2, which was intended for commercial use, was to discourage non-standard pulleys.

The new tooth rest looks as if it might be a useful improvement over the original rather awkward affair.

Can't see just how the "unholy" circular tee-slot has been dealt with though.

I think the appeal of the Quorn to the general modeller has reduced since its introduction in the '70's with the availability of fairly cheap cutters, which can be treated as "throw-aways" and TC inserts. There are also simpler T&C grinder designs available.

Also, the 4 flute end-mills on the market now mostly seem to have one cutting lip drawn over-centre, a feature that I've not found a way of deaing with on my Quorn without damaging the other lips.

Clive

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 06/09/2019 15:38:07

Thread: Part built Allchin 1.5 inch
03/09/2019 19:18:47

What tool are you using for the turning? For that diameter of work, a very sharp tool is needed, well honed HSS or, if a carbide insert, then one with a ground finish, sold as intended for aluminium etc. The ordinary coated inserts for steel are not sharp and will cause too much deflection of slender work.

Incidentally, 4 BA spec. is 3.6 mm OD if you're making studs as tight as possible.

Hope that helps,

Clive

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 03/09/2019 19:19:35

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Meridienne; London MES
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
cowbells
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest