By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Clive Brown 1

Here is a list of all the postings Clive Brown 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Myford 'Between centre boring bar'
18/09/2021 15:41:59

Seems like it's been discussed before:-

Here

Thread: Clive Sinclar
17/09/2021 16:02:29
Posted by Russell Eberhardt on 17/09/2021 15:03:40:

Anyone else built one of these. A class D amplifier with a claimed 10 W output from the early 1960s. You were lucky to get 2 W out of it and it produced copious amounts of TV and radio inteference:

Sinclair X10

I purchased an X10 when they were introduced. The price was about a £fiver. I don't remember it being available as a kit. My main recollection was that the performance was poor with very obvious audio distortion. When it came to the end of its fairly short life it was "dissected" at my workplace. The transistors all proved very much out of spec. Probably manufacturers' rejects. In those days Sinclair clearly built his equipment using the cheapest components that he could source.

Thread: Recommended Vice for Double Swivel Milling Slide
15/09/2021 09:32:30

Noting this, and your follow-up post, John …

Does anyone know whether Myford has changed the spacing of its Tee-slots ?

• Chronos states Mounting Studs 30 mm between centres
  • Myford seems silent on the matter

Just wondering

MichaelG.

I have an elderly Myford vice, identified as an MA71, seemingly similar to the ones currently sold by Myford as their original small vice, but now in a choice of colours, and each with a different reference no.

The hold-down slots are 1 9/16" (1.562" ) apart which think is, or was, Myford tee-slot spacing.

My vice has been useful over the years, but there may now be better ones on the market.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 15/09/2021 09:33:18

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 15/09/2021 09:34:24

Thread: Win 10 back t0 Win 7
08/09/2021 11:43:59
Posted by Clive Hartland on 07/09/2021 22:00:27:

The camera is a Panasonic TZ3, it has given no problems until Win 10. As SOD says it may well be a driver problem.

Clive,my camera is a Panasonic TZ20, about 10 years old. Image file transfer to my Win10 PC via the USB cable that came with the camera is straighforward either by drag and drop or copy and paste.

Ditto if I move the SD card from the camera to the PC card reader slot.

If your USB cable link is not working, maybe due to its built in software / driver, have you tried moving the SD card thus avoiding this possible issue altogether?

Thread: Multimeter recommendations
07/09/2021 19:15:47

My goodness! Buying "quality" to ensure reliability costs. RS will sell you a Fluke for no less than £459. or £500+ with a certificate No thank-you, but perhaps that's what the OP wants.

Can't remember when I bought my sub £10 cheapie, but more than 20 years ago I guess. I could buy 50 more for less than the cost of one Fluke. Those would last me to beyond 3021 AD.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 07/09/2021 19:17:47

07/09/2021 15:59:26

Ebay has a wide selection at <£10 that will tick your boxes. I bought one years ago. It's done all I want of it with no problems. A useful extra is to buy a pair of croc. clips that push onto the probes, often not included with these cheap meters.

My main criticism is that the leads are on the stiff and springy side. I believe that silicone rubber makes for greater flexibility if you can find a meter so fitted.

Thread: Win 10 back t0 Win 7
07/09/2021 14:48:12

+1 for Windows 10. I have gone through most iterations of Windows and W10 is the best so far IMO. It's stable, versatile and user friendly. I regularly download images and video either direct from my camera and 'phone via USB or via the card reader built into the PC.

In either case Windows sees the device as external storage and files will transfer either way with no issues at all.

Linux, I've given it a whirl. It's limited and for geeks!nosmiley

Thread: Bench grinder - wheel grit
06/09/2021 15:56:18

For HSS grinding in my home workshop, toolbits say 3/16" to 3/8" and drills, I mostly use a 60 grit wheel. 80 grit would also be OK I'd think. The finish can always be improved with a slip-stone if necessary.

IIRC, my coarse wheel is 30 or 40 grit. It's used a lot less than the finer wheel, but useful for initial shaping.

No need to dry the steel after cooling.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 06/09/2021 15:58:55

Thread: Urgent - opinions of lathe I am going to view/buy
02/09/2021 17:58:06

Hi Andy,

Boxford did make a 16" between centres model, but I don't think that was specifically for schools. The paint is not original IMO. The short bed and CUD spec. both detract from the desirability. Also it doesn't look as if it's had "one careful owner". One very common problem with old Boxfords is broken back-gear teeth, otherwise they are robust machines. If I were at all interested I'd put in an offer considerably below the asking price.

It's not impossible to find spare gearboxes etc, but they come up very infrequently and can be pricey. I wouldn't see that as a practical option.

If you bought it, what about transport? Two fit people could detach the lathe from the cabinet and load it into a car boot but the cabinet itself is heavy and awkward. You'd really need a van or trailer.

Try to download Boxford's manual. This will give more details of the bits and pieces that should be with the machine.

Thread: 5 Rotary Table/Tailstock/Chuck Kit Info/Questions
01/09/2021 20:14:52

The chuck is self-centering.

Thread: Sheet metal saw.
31/08/2021 17:18:01

I start the cut using a standard hacksaw frame, then use the sheet saw when the plate is sideways supported by this initial cut.

Thread: A SIMPLE POINT !
27/08/2021 20:40:55

And in 50 years , (on and off), of model engineering, I can't really recall one instance of it making much difference.

Thread: Choosing a boring head
27/08/2021 11:05:14

If the OP wants to save £100+ on a boring head then Harold Hall has a design and build article on his website.

link

The instructions for making it are very clear and the cost of materials is negligible.

Here's mine. It's intended to be held in an ER collet The boring tool is made from silver steel.Boring Head

Thread: boxford lathe upgrade?
22/08/2021 20:36:56

I upgraded my 5" ME10 from "B" to "A" spec. by fitting a gearbox from an older 4.5" lathe. No problems, the main job was shortening the leadscrew to connect to the gearbox output shaft. As it will pass through the spindle, machining was straightforward.

I assume that the "C" lathes have the necessary drive keyway in the leadscrew even though the longitudinal feed uses the half nuts.

Thread: Silver solder flux has dried out.
15/08/2021 13:33:30

Since the datasheet that you link to says the flux is a water mixture, I'd say that adding a bit more won't do any harm

Thread: Allchin help
13/08/2021 15:59:43

On my drawings, the dimensional details of the brackets are to the right on the image above, ie just off-screen. They are the same as posted by Jason except the angle is given as 31.5deg.

These drawings were purchased from Reeves in the '70s.

Thread: Best material for smokebox construction
13/08/2021 09:03:54

The two 5"G. loco smokeboxes that I've constructed have been 1/8" brass, which seems a common material.for that purpose.

Thread: DIY Compression spring
12/08/2021 20:40:02

I wouldn't bother with any heat treatment. The Quorn makes minimal demand on that srpring in terms of cycling etc. As long as it very approximately meets the Prof's spec. of about 10lbs. force without coil binding then it will be OK.

Mine's probably a bit light and does not overcome the static friction of the bar until it's rocked, but that's never been a problem. Might even be helpful if too much cut is inadvertently put on, so don't make it too strong.

Thread: Centaur Inlet Valve Dimensions
08/08/2021 21:45:49

Thanks Michael, that's given me some reassurance.

I was aware of the connecting rod error from an article in ME Nov. '75 describing a Centaur build which mentions it, but then goes on to say that this is the only drawing error apart from the cam timing. Hence I'm surprised that this seemingly serious valve error wasn't identified, making me think that I might be missing something.

08/08/2021 15:45:50

Work on my Centaur has met a snag. I've machined the cylinder head and associated valve gear and started trial assembly. The exhaust side of things seems OK, but not so the inlet valve.

The initial problem that I noticed was that the inlet valve housing is too long to allow the spring cotter to assemble to the valve stem, see attached image. Moving the cotter groove 3/64" along the stem would solve this but the whole assembly is still too long to fit properly under the valve rocker. It seems that the valve and housing both need to be shortened by at least 1/8" to allow proper valve & rocker geometry. If this is a drawing error then I'm surprised in such a well established ETW design. I'm fairly confident that my cylinder head and other componens are to drawing dimensions.

Can any other Centaur bulder advise please?

centaur inlet valve.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Warco
walker midge
cowells
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest