By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Clive Brown 1

Here is a list of all the postings Clive Brown 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New jaws for my milling vice.
01/12/2020 15:33:56

I didn't mill mine. A good bit of BMS usually is to a decent standard of flatness. I thought that I was not likely to improve on that very much, and also there is a risk of distortion if only one face is machined.

The jaw seatings on my Abwood seem to be quite accurately machined and the new MS jaws will grip a feeler <=.003" all over.

01/12/2020 11:56:42

I replaced the jaws on my 4" Abwood with BMS. 3/8" x 1.5" section. They're held on by the original screws. A light milling cut was taken off the tops and sides after fitting. They've served well for some years of generally fairly light use.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 01/12/2020 11:57:25

Thread: Which adhesive to use
29/11/2020 14:40:03

Hi, googling "Evo-stick metal epoxy" brings up only an epoxy putty, which might not have the best adhesive properties as it's really a filler. If that putty is the stuff you're using, I'd suggest changing to a proper epoxy adhesive, such as Araldite. Epoxy resin is hard to beat as an adhesive.

Edit, now found "Evo-stick 2 part epoxy", so above comment might be misguided.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 29/11/2020 14:44:06

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 29/11/2020 14:46:06

Thread: Calling all Startrite Mercury drill owners - opinion on noise
25/11/2020 16:28:17

I am not a Startrite owner but I'm surprised that you use an SPZ belt which I thought is a metric specification and therefore rather unusual on an elderly UK made machine. Even a "Z" section is uncommon in my experience as most machinery of that era seems to use the heavier "A" section, which is 1/2" in width.

How wide is the top of the pulley grooves on your drill?

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 25/11/2020 16:28:55

Thread: vfd inverter for Myford
23/11/2020 09:31:36
Posted by Steviegtr on 22/11/2020 23:39:35

EMC filters. Not true. No legal requirements whatsoever for home use. Not up on industrial regs any more. But we only fitted them in industry where sensitive electronics were in the same area. Not in every panel. Blue chip companies. They all had there own engineering dept that wrote the specs for control panels. Many with a simple panel for a motor / conveyer etc never had any filters fitted.

Agree with Steve. The Schneider ATV12 that I fitted to my mill tripped the house RCD every time from new. The instructions refer to this possibility. It's solved by disconnecting the filter capacitors, a linkage is provided in the VFD to do this. Problem solved, with no adverse effects, but I should say that the wiring run to the motor is short and shielded.

The Teco VFD on my lathe also has this feature, which I haven't needed, so 2 reputable VFDs offering the same cure.

Thread: rounding off lever ends
22/11/2020 20:42:10

Dunno about a design, but I made a "toolholder", rather like a boring-bar holder, for my lathe in which pins of different diameter could be fitted at centre height. The pins were actually stepped in diameter so they all fitted in the same holder. Worked well for reasonably small workpieces.

Thread: Electric vehicles
21/11/2020 09:03:22
Posted by Anthony Knights on 21/11/2020 07:59:52:

Using the figures mentioned in previous posts, I make an over night charge to be about 50Kwh. As a matter of interest, can anyone tell me how far you could travel on that (approximately).

The current on-line DailyTelegraph has "The best 10 electric cars" listing miles/kwHr. Figure varies from 2,8 for a Jag. to 4.4 for a VW. Typically 3.5 to 4. I expect that these are the best that the particular car can achieve.

Thread: Insert for internal ACME thread?
19/11/2020 19:12:35

You could make a screwcutting tool from silver steel which can be machined or hand filed before hardening. Photo shows one made from 3/8" dia. ss. that I used to cut a 5/8" dia. x 8tpi square thread for a feed nut for my Raglan mill.p1020854.jpg

Thread: Clearing spark plug thread
19/11/2020 14:59:31

Would an 18mm plug thread chaser @ £6 from Machine Mart be within budget?

Or a wire shaped like a hairpin with outwardly bent sharpened points and lots of patience.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 19/11/2020 14:59:47

Thread: Making end / slot drills
18/11/2020 15:13:02

Yes you need to buy a 2-fluted slot drill. Don't use an end mill as it will probably cut a slightly over-width slot.

Thread: Tailstock Offset Issue
18/11/2020 10:52:14

Is the centre with the error a hard or a soft centre? ( No I'm not talking about choccies!). I ask because soft centres, which look very similar to their hard equivalent, are intended to be trued up after mounting in the headstock. They're not intended to be used in the tailstock.

Just a thought.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 18/11/2020 10:54:07

Thread: Lathe levelling and alignment
17/11/2020 16:16:29

The lathe cuts smaller at the tailstock end. My money would be on twisting of the bed as the cause unless the whole headstock is out of true, which seems unlikely.

To adjust the bed alignment, shims need to be added under the rear foot at the tailstock end or the front foot at the headstock end. I'd try that, a little at a time. Presumably the WM250 doesn't have adjustable screw feet built in.

A wooden shed floor isn't the ideal for maintaining alignment though.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 17/11/2020 16:18:51

Thread: Windows 10 latest offering
17/11/2020 15:38:18

My desktop updated to 20H2 about a week ago. Surprised how quickly it installed. No problems so far.

Perhaps should say that It has a Samsung SSD.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 17/11/2020 15:49:31

Thread: Parting off with a 5/6" toolpost
17/11/2020 11:36:48

If you have a lathe then +1 for getting a bench grinder ASAP. I can't imagine a workshop managing without one. These days the national tool-retailing chains sell them at amazingly low prices. Not the best quality but perfectly OK for the hobby workshop.

There's lots said about insert tooling, it has it's uses, but HSS is essential for the model-maker IMHO.

Thread: Thread identification 5/16 - 38.5 TPI ??
16/11/2020 20:11:11

Beaten to it, but 5/16" x 40tpi is a standard ME thread.

Thread: Milling Curves
15/11/2020 19:40:52

Am I understanding your operation correctly?

The curve that's generated is controlled by the distance of the pivot bolt on the slide from the cutter periphery.

This in turn is controlled by the position of the wood as held in the vice and the position of the vice in the slide tee-slots.

Moving either the lathe cross-slide or the vertical slide only serves to bring the workpiece into contact with the cutter, it does not affect the curve that is generated.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 15/11/2020 19:56:57

Thread: Composite washers for Bullfinch and Sievert propane torches
15/11/2020 13:47:18

My Bullfinch equipment is about 50 years old. All 6 burners and the extension tube came with sealing washers in the female threads. These washers appear to be CAF. They do need a good tweak to make sure that they're sealed, esp. the smaller burners.

I've never needed to replace a washer, but it would have to be a different material nowadays of course.

I've not seen a lead washer for this application, but the graphte-like coating on the CAF does give it rather leaden appearance.

Add; I realise the Sievert extension doesn't have the same type on connecting joint.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 15/11/2020 13:50:06

Thread: 5" gauge tender hand brake
14/11/2020 14:28:04

I've put turnbuckles on my unfinished, 6-wheel tender, but I don't think it's mechanically very sound. I expect only one axle to be firmly braked with the other brake blocks basically just rubbing to a geater or lesser extent.

But it's only for parking on a basically level track.

Thread: Cutting copper tube square
13/11/2020 15:38:48

How long is the tube? Can you turn a bung from a piece of hard wood? Push the tube firmly onto the bung and go from there.Wood is messy to turn though, so mention it to the lathe's owner if that's not you.

Thread: 7x12 Bearing Spacer
11/11/2020 20:48:37

Hi Woody, I don't know your lathe at all but angular contact bearings are frequently set up with a "spring" arrangement to apply a defined pre-load to the bearings to make for a stiffer spindle. As such, your plastic spacer might be intended to collapse as the C-nut is tightened to provide this pre-load. A specific length can't be specified.

Cue all cl300m experts.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest