By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Clive Brown 1

Here is a list of all the postings Clive Brown 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Why are BA taps so blooming expensive??
21/09/2020 11:56:05

Pre metric, 5 & 7 BA, although non-preferred are 1/8" & 3/32" resp. so, for scale purists, they do nicely for imperial sized fasteners for, say, 1" &1.5" to the foot models. Hughes' Allchin for example makes extensive use of them.

In the smaller sizes, the BA range offers a slightly more graduated range of diameters than metric standard, which can be useful.

The ME trade doesn't seem to offer metric fasteners with one-size smaller hexagon heads as widely as they do for BA sizes, which makes for a neater appearance

Thread: Problems reading from a 3.5" floppy disc
20/09/2020 14:13:19

Maybe the floppy drive on the desktop is faulty. Can you acquire an external usb drive to try with that? Cheap to buy anyway.

Thread: Blowtorch problems
19/09/2020 19:56:51

Fron the way that the flame is lifting off the nozzle I'd say that the gas pressure was too high, That tends to happen with my Bullfinch torch if I overdo it with the regulator, but I can't think how that would come about with the Rothenburger.

Thread: 7 1/4 Dart
15/09/2020 15:45:55

Reeves' website narrows it down to 147-149. Can't refine it better than that I'm afraid.

Thread: 1" Minnie boiler stays
11/09/2020 12:37:59
Posted by Dave Halford on 11/09/2020 12:08:14:
Posted by Clive Brown 1 on 11/09/2020 11:38:28:

If the OP has already fitted the backplate, silver-soldering wouldn't be the easiest job.

Why is that Clive? Torch breathing trouble?

Yes, I realise that equipment is available toget around this this, but I suggest that it can be seen as an avoidable problem for the OPs job.

11/09/2020 11:38:28

Before condemning soft soldering of firebox stays, don't forget that hundreds, nay, thousands of traction engine boilers have been made like that, with complete satisfaction. The stays are usually different from those of loco bollers in that they are larger diameter, screwed and nutted to allow through riveting for the hornplates so are very secure.

The "traditional" soft solder is Comsol, still easily available.

If the OP has already fitted the backplate, silver-soldering wouldn't be the easiest job.

Thread: Strength of Beams
10/09/2020 12:00:42

The Stress Engineer's "Bible" used to be Roark's "Formulae for Stress and Strain". Nowadays a snip on Amazon @ £90 I see.

It'll probably have all the shapes that SOD illustrates, and more.No need for a computer!

Thread: Solder ???
08/09/2020 16:51:12

Don't get too hung up on different MP solders for assemblies. Can you pin thefirst joints with small screws or rivets? Also, you can often get away with using one grade of solder if the first joints are kept slightly away from the flame for the later joints, since remelting seems torequire a slightly higher temperature than the initial melt.

Thread: 6mm Metric Fine Screws in Brass
06/09/2020 13:39:17

Have you contacted GWR Fasteners? I think that they manufacture, but I don't know about minimum quantities.

Thread: Using a gear to index a chuck
05/09/2020 11:30:58

p1020823.jpgCouple of photos to show my dividing arrangements made years ago.

One shows a detent plunger / change-wheel for my Boxford. The gear is on an expanding mandrel fixed in the lathe spindle bore. The spring loaded plunger mounts on the banjo, thus a wide range of change-wheel diameters can be accomodated. A 60 T is shown but I've used a 180 T to make protractor dials for a telescope mount.

The other picture shows a spin indexer I made when I first acquired my Raglan mill. The spindle is 3MT and has a Boxford nose. A 60 T change-wheel is mounted at the other end. The spindle can be locked. I can't remember where the casting came from, but it could also be fabricated. it may have been inspired by something in ME.

These items were made when commercial dividing equipment, rotary tables etc. was wellp1020819.jpg beyond the average model makers budget. Different now.

Edit; the lathe picture has somehow got flipped, but the idea's there.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 05/09/2020 11:32:30

Thread: Pratt/Burnerd 4 jaw Dismantling ?
04/09/2020 13:54:13

Hi Martin, from memory, the screw is retained by a "dowel" which has a fork that engages the waist in the screw. You will have to devise a tool for pressing the dowel out towards the rear face of the chuck. AFAIK, it's just a press fit, but there might be a retaining grub-screw visible .

Thread: Expansion
02/09/2020 16:00:11

By "cast" do you mean cast-iron? Is the buckle iron? Iron expands at, very approximately, half the rate of PB, so for a PB valve and a CI buckle, a clearance will close up at approx .001"/ inch/100 deg. temp. rise so your valve should be OK.

Thread: Simple Gearing for Metric Threads on Myford ML7 lathes with gearboxes
31/08/2020 12:00:44

For M2, 0.4mm pitch is the standard for coarse thread, and is the default; ie probably the most commonly used pitch. 0.25 mm pitch is the standard for fine threads, so is a possible choice. Take your pick but I'd think that 0.4 mm was fine enough for most purposes.

Thread: Mystery post
31/08/2020 10:03:52

In the old days, some operators required 'bus and tram drivers to "clock-in" at various points along their routes, usually the terminii. I remember this in the Birmingham area.They used a key in a roadside cabinet. Could this be the remains of such a device?

Thread: Boiler
30/08/2020 19:00:08

Longtimes ago ME published a Tubal Cain design and construction series for a 3" vertical boiler. Very simple and satisfying to make with a central flue and 3 water tubes crossing the firebox. My gas-fired example steams at up to 80 psi and runs my Stuart Turner engine nicely. 'Fraid I can't recall the ME issues.

Thread: Tool post for Myford ML6
27/08/2020 21:07:12

That's more of a Boxford style of 4-way tool-post, where the top-slide has a large tee-slot. The projection on the circular part fits into the top of this slot to maintain alignment. The Myford doesn't have that feature AFAIK.

I don't think that it's actually off a Boxford though., doesn't look quite right.

BTW, it's ML7.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 27/08/2020 21:09:20

Thread: Boiler studs through or blind
27/08/2020 15:32:43

Definitely a through hole for a good tapped thread. FWIIW, my 1 1/2" Allchin has phosphor bronze studs with brass nuts silver soldered on to make what are effectively bolts that look like nutted studs, as recommended. Copper might be OK for your studs, but I'd think that PB takes a better thread.

Thread: 0.8 straight wire
27/08/2020 08:40:10

What material? If you want "piano wire" ie hard steel, a local hobby shop,( if there is one ), might stock it, esp. if they sell model aeroplane kits.

IIRC, 0.8 mm is a mig welding size. A length of that might be straightened by pulling a length of that with your full weight behind it.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 27/08/2020 08:45:15

Thread: Mystery item Myford ML 7 purchase
25/08/2020 15:18:27

I've no idea what the OPs mystery Myford (?) item is, but I'm reminded of another s/h ML7 that came with an attachment for boring out car-engine big-ends after re-metalling. It was a genuine Myford accessory, I've not seen another one since.

Thread: Computer Disaster! Help needed!
24/08/2020 10:35:22

If your diagnostics show no hardware faults, then maybe consider re-installing the OS. It may have corrupted files. If you have access to another PC, then Windows 8.1 disc image can be downloaded to a USB stick from the Microsoft website, your current licence will be legit. for installation.

An alternative for you would be to install Windows 10 by downloading the Windows Media Creation Tool, again from Microsoft.

Although the period for this free upgrade is nominally finished, it's widely reported that MS are still allowing it for W7 and W8. That way you get a better, fully supported system for free.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 24/08/2020 10:36:15

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
cowells
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest