By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Clive Brown 1

Here is a list of all the postings Clive Brown 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cutting holes in copper
09/05/2021 19:34:07

Chain drilling and a half-round file

Thread: Reading glasses - frosted area
04/05/2021 15:29:21

Toothpaste will act as a fine polishing compound on plastic.

Thread: Stuart Victoria Query
18/04/2021 18:35:45

Thanks Jason. I have the 1993 drawings. I had read the linked thread where discrepancies were pointed out but these seemed to relate to the longitudinal positions of the cylinder, slide-bars etc. I've fabricated the bed and was intending to measure up as the job progressed and make items such as the con-rod to suit. However, my drawing clearly dimensions the main bearings at 7/8" above the bed compared with the cylinder at 5/8". Scaling off the drawings also confirms these figures, the draughtsperson must have been having a bad day. I'll make my bearings 5/8" as you advise.

I await your corrected drawings with interest.

PS.I wonder how many Victorias have been made with the height difference?

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 18/04/2021 18:44:54

18/04/2021 16:25:12

I'm just starting to build a Stuart Victoria engine.On examining the drawngs, I'm slightly surprised that the crankshaft is positioned 1/4" above the cylinder centre-line. Does this height difference have a noticeable effect on the running of the engine, eg a slightly uneven exhaust beat. Do any other Stuart horizontals have this feature? Just curious.

Clive

Thread: 5 " AJAX
17/04/2021 10:00:44

If you don't get a result here, Reeves sell either a complete set or individual sheets.

Thread: Which Sievert Torch ?
16/04/2021 08:09:46

I've not used Sievert burners very much, but based on my Bullfinch torch, a burner rated at ~10kw should be adequate for your boiler, especially if you use firebrick lagging. The cyclone burner is around that rating and is nice to have for some jobs. Next size down would be OK for your crankshaft, but my smaller size burners don't get a lot of use. Nice to have plenty of heat.

Thread: High Temperature Air Source Heat Pumps for Domestic Heating
13/04/2021 11:57:47
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 13/04/2021 11:51:31:
Posted by J Hancock on 13/04/2021 11:25:56:

True the wind isn't blowing hard today, but Solar is contributing more than Nuclear, hurrah.

Dave

Ah! but the sun wiil set while nuclear soldiers on.

Thread: Bandsaw - wood and metal ?
11/04/2021 11:48:19

Woodworking bandsaws run too fast for metal cutting, particularly ferrous. The blades will be quickly ruined. My small bandsaw is geared down to a speed of about 200ft/min and that seems fairly good.

Also you would find that attempting to cut large diameter round bar held by hand on the saw table is NOT advisable. The bar will rotate and you will not be able to grip it.

Can't help with a suggestion of a bandsaw for taking work of the size that you mention, but it will be big. I use an old Rapidor hacksaw which will take bar up to 6".

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 11/04/2021 11:53:20

Thread: MS 'Edge' - Points and Pitfalls?
09/04/2021 18:19:30

Whatever browser one chooses, IE should definitely not be on the list. It's waaaay out of date, unsupported and potentially full of security risks. Edge seems to be liked by the computer press but for myself, I go for Firefox.

Come to that, Windows 7 is no longer fully supported and so will bring security risks. Win 10 is definitely the way to go.

Thread: Bending brass - hot, warm or cold?
07/04/2021 14:33:44

I've recently made a couple of drain-cock handles from drawn phosphor bronze rod, 3/16" dia. They bent through about 80 deg. with no sign of cracking, no annealing required. the dia. at the bend is .090" ish.p1020887.jpg

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 07/04/2021 14:35:52

Thread: Using two torches
05/04/2021 18:40:49

I can't see any potential problem with connecting 2 torches to one cylinder provided you have a suitable connector and normal care is taken.

Thread: Steam oil
05/04/2021 18:38:10

Some confusion here. A displacement lubricator does not turn. What you have sounds like a mechanical lubricator which is a positive displacement pump. As advised above, best use light ol for rnning on air

Thread: Armadeal lathe
30/03/2021 17:51:30

My best guess is that "prive" is a very corrupted form of "private message" Can the OP use these before a certain number of postings?

Thread: What's the general consensus please?
24/03/2021 14:43:36

I have a Warco 16B, also a Fobco 1/2" drill. I'd be loathe to part with the Fobco but then, I can just fit both in the workshop. It can be much quicker and convenient to carry out a typical drilling job with the drill chuck already in place onthe Fobco. The extra headroom and greater quill feed can be useful. The quill feed on the 16B is fairly short at 50mm, I use it for co-ordinate drilling, but for general use it's the Fobco. Should say that it has a Chinese VFD, so belt changing is (almost) a thing of the past.

Thread: 1" Die Stock
17/03/2021 18:51:07

I think I'd make the 1" dimension a tad oversize, say by 5 or 10 thou, to give the die room for growth.

Thread: Accuracy to be expected from a 0-1" travel DTI
16/03/2021 14:56:11

This thread prompted me to check a dial indicator currently set up in my workshop. Over its maximum travel of 0.4" it was less than a thou. out against a slip gauge.

Thread: Identifying brass?
14/03/2021 17:55:58

In marine useage, the terms brass and bronze can be rather vague. A propellor shaft could well be naval or admiralty brass which can also be called tobin bronze, although it contains very little tin. Items referred to as bronze could well be an aluminium bronze, common for propellors, or manganese bronze.

All of these materials are strong and highly resistant to sea-water corrosion.

Thread: Boiler flanging plates
13/03/2021 11:14:24

I'd agree with the above. I've just measured a flanged plate that I made a few weeks ago from 3mm copper. The flange is barely thicker than the original thickness. Perhaps 3 0r 4 thou. at most, which gives a bit of an allowance for smoothing down the hammer marks with a file.

Thread: Flat bottomed hole with a boring bar - technique?
12/03/2021 13:01:40

If I needed a flat bottomed hole and it was less than, say, 12mm or so dia. I'd probably use either a slot drill of matching diameter for relatively shallow holes or a home-made silver steel D-bit for deeper holes.

Thread: 3 cock water gauges
10/03/2021 15:18:44

Hi Anthony,

Not much response I'm afraid. All I can offer is that the "Allchin" TE design shows a 3-cock gauge which perhaps could be adapted. Hughes went into great detail on building this engine in the ME series, later published as a book, so if you can find this information it would probably be helpful.

I attach a rather poor scan from my elderly set of drawings. Hope this helps

water gauge 1.jpg

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 10/03/2021 15:19:17

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest