By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for phil gardiner

Here is a list of all the postings phil gardiner has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Steam pump
26/10/2020 20:50:00

The Westinghouse pump internal pilot valve is the difficult part, it is so sensitive to adjustment but when you get it right it will start every time and will run on 20 pound pressure, i am delighted how mine runs.

Thread: Boiler making
29/09/2020 22:02:01

Peter, Here in Australia it is possible to make your own boiler i have, however every step of the fabrication has to be inspected by your club boiler inspector and recorded ,with a copper boiler you will need help from someone who has been through the process before as there are certain steps you have to follow, it is quiet a long process it took quite a few weeks to build as i said before every step has to be inspected by your club boiler inspector.Good luckwith the project . Phil.

Thread: Why does everyone disagree with you
27/01/2020 01:23:54

Oh i thought it was only me that felt this way.

Thread: Australian Bush Fires
07/01/2020 04:28:39

We only reached 47 degrees on the 4-1-20 that was hot enough, i feel for the people who have nothing left.

Thread: Window deflection query
05/03/2019 02:10:41

What's even more confusing to me is why do we still mix imperial with metric measurements here in Australia we went metric in 1966 especially in the building industry.

Thread: Chinese postal charges
10/01/2019 23:41:48

That's just one of the perks us Australians have plus we have dust storms , drought and long hot summers with fire bans so we can't wear out our coal fired loco's , still wouldn't have it any other way.

Thread: Pumping water up a hill
23/10/2018 05:26:50

An 8 foot windmill will lift 185 ft about 150 gallons per hour when using 13/4 pump .

23/10/2018 04:14:49

Ever thought about windmills , they work in outback Australia , don't need a lot of wind to power them

and they work at night. They are a piston pump and do not require a lot of maintanance.

23/10/2018 04:14:49

Ever thought about windmills , they work in outback Australia , don't need a lot of wind to power them

and they work at night. They are a piston pump and do not require a lot of maintanance.

Thread: Pickle
21/07/2018 23:47:10

An easier way is just use lemon juice,it works better if you heat it up.

21/07/2018 23:38:27

You can purchase citric acid from your supermarket, look in the cooking section.

Thread: Shingle bells
18/07/2018 05:28:01

I thought you were talking about shingle roof decorations, oops?

Thread: Oil firing
03/06/2018 23:37:32

Has any one converted there coal fired locomotive to oil firing i am thinking of converting to oil i cannot find any information to help me. The reason i am thinking to go with oil is shortage of good burning coal , yet Australia is one of the biggest exporters of coal in he world. Millions of tons of coal go overseas yet you can't buy half a ton anywhere .

Thread: gauge glass
29/05/2018 22:11:17

Thank you Paul for the photo's it certainly makes it clearer to see the water in the glass. The diagonal stripes are so much better, again thank you. phil.

29/05/2018 05:49:24

Can anyone tell me what colour is best at the back of the water gauge glass

i have terrible trouble trying to see the water level especially in shaded areas at the moment i don't have anything behind the glass except the black backhead.

Thread: What's the best alternative to 'loctited'
24/05/2018 02:45:24

What was used before "loctite" ,maybe just a good fit.

Thread: "It" comes to life again
05/01/2018 01:37:37

If you fail to plan , you plan to fail.

Thread: new to this site
29/06/2017 05:01:04

Hi everyone just trying to see if this is where i should be. I live on the mid north coast of nsw , been building a three truck shay loco for the past seven years , still learning how to fire a coal fired loco.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Warco
cowells
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest