By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mick B1

Here is a list of all the postings Mick B1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Unimat 3 Tailstock Die Holder
21/04/2020 16:01:20

Hi SOD,

I think both the shank (smallest is 1/2" ) and the 9mm hole thorough the middle are above the capacity of the Unimat 3 tailstock drill chuck, so I couldn't see a way to use the Arc holders without modification. The drill chuck only goes to 8mm.

You could turn a shaft to a sliding fit in the 9mm shank bore of the dieholder, and turn a holding diameter of 8mm for the drill chuck, but the Ebay dies that screw straight onto the quill seem simpler.

21/04/2020 13:34:57

Well, you can use an ordinary hand die holder, and set it square to the bar stock in the chuck using the front face of the tailstock. That's what I used to do when I had a Unimat 3. But it was small quantities, never more than about 4 at a time.

The Bay has a few items that might be of interest if you're doing enough threads to justify the outlay. I ran a search on 'Unimat 3' and it turned up several instances of this:-

Unimat 3

Thread: Whatever happened to...
21/04/2020 11:15:22

Posted by Peter G. Shaw on 21/04/2020 10:39:28:

And just to possibly trigger a few more, how about Gibbs Dentifrice, a hard pink substance in a tin which you rubbed your toothbrush on before cleaning your teeth,

Tootle Pip,

Peter G. Shaw

Yes! I remember that! There was a hard pink general cleaner too, called Chemico - it'd scour the enamel off the inside of your bath. For all I know it was the same stuff...

wink

Thread: The good bits coming out of the Covid epidemic
21/04/2020 09:24:52
Posted by Gaunless on 21/04/2020 09:04:30:

As for cheap Chinese tools. They're great. I'll be buying many more. I wanted a Myford but the forums were full of tales of woe. People trying to get life out of something as worn as an ocean pebble. Don't think they sell new ones unless you count a parts bin bitza as new?

Benefits of the virus? Quieter roads. Long may it last.

I had a Myford, and it wasn't a tale of woe, more of endless irritation that as a Speed 10 it wasn't quite big enough, but its larger brother was too expensive and vastly overrated by folk who won't realise what happened to the Empire, and British industry with it, or why.

Yes, my Chinese machine tool is great, like you say, and hums as smooth as butter nearly every day. Whether there's any link between the economics that allowed it to be supplied to me at the price it was, and the risk of releasing viruses like the current one, is no doubt a matter for future analysis.

20/04/2020 19:40:06
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 20/04/2020 19:19:57:

My memories aren't quite so rosy!

Chocolate with no chocolate in it and ice-cream with no cream. Only one flavour of ice cream available, vanilla substitute. Other chemical flavourings galore.

devil

Dave

Well, I can remember elements of that, SOD - in particular school puddings that varied only in colouring. If it was brown, with a brownish sauce, we were expected to believe it was chocolate pudding; if pink, strawberry; if yellow, lemon sponge with custard. But we all knew they all tasted exactly the same - of nothing.

Thread: Advice on Building Powerful Toy Cannon
20/04/2020 16:36:54

Some decades ago, someone in the rifle club I used to be in made a potato cannon out of some specific grade of drainpipe that could stand the pressure. It was powered by butane sprayed into the combustion chamber from a can and fired by piezo crystal.

It could easily throw a big baking potato into the butts from the 100-yard firing point. My guess would be the thing was at least marginally illegal in any context, and you certainly wouldn't wanna have kids playing with it.

20/04/2020 16:24:46

Frizets!

They came in a box, as a bag of powder that you mixed with water to a thick pancake-mix consistency, and you dropped spoonsful into a hot pan, preferably of bacon fat, though Trex or Spry would do. They solidified into little fritters that you cooked till light brown.

I told Mummy that when I grew up and could eat what I liked, I'd have Frizets every day. Now nobody knows what they were. People put alleged recipes on the web, but I'd no more trust those than I'd try to make an atom bomb out of red mercury...

crying

Edited By Mick B1 on 20/04/2020 16:26:25

Thread: Myford ml10 vertical milling slide
19/04/2020 20:06:19
Posted by Jeremy Smith 2 on 19/04/2020 18:27:10:

Are there any “better” options out there for a vertical milling slide, instead of the one direct from myford, for the ml10?

Edited By Jeremy Smith 2 on 19/04/2020 18:32:48

My 'other' vertical slide is the fixed 'own brand' version from Warco, and I don't think it's anywhere near as good as the Myford double-swivel - though I think the WM250V lathe is very good. Providing you keep your demands moderate, I can't really think a better one than the 2-bolts double-swivel is practical or possible.

19/04/2020 12:38:54

I use the swivel type on my Warco WM250V. I think the much broader crossslide makes it very much more rigid than it was on the Myford Speed 10 I use to have. I use the horizontal swivel probably half-a-dozen times a year, the vertical swivel very occasionally. But sometimes I need it, for example when drilling long angled steam passages from cylinder end to valve port.

I've got a plain vertical but I've never used it. The double-swivel does everything I've needed and my plans to buy a mill keep getting put back because of it. All the milled and flycut surfaces you see in the pics in my album were done on it, except for some railway work done on a Bridgeport clone.

Edited By Mick B1 on 19/04/2020 12:41:50

Thread: Elliott dividing head
18/04/2020 11:19:13

Doh! Duplicate.

Edited By Mick B1 on 18/04/2020 11:21:19

18/04/2020 11:19:12
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 18/04/2020 10:53:25:

In the west, the civil calendar was the Julian calendar (introduced in 46BC) until 1582 when replaced with the Gregorian calendar. Although the Julian calendar was nearly right, it made the year 365.25 days long, and accumulated an error of 1 day every 128 years.

sad

Dave

I always thought the best thing he left us was his salad...

wink

Edited By Mick B1 on 18/04/2020 11:24:52

Thread: Shoe repair glue advice?
17/04/2020 19:59:43

Well, my gorilla glue and gaffer tape repair to my slippers has lasted all day, including a spell machining in the garage.

Can't believe it'll make it to the 28th, though, when my new slippers are due...

laugh

17/04/2020 14:30:29

I just repaired my split and peeling slipper soles with gorilla glue and gaffer tape.

I'm not optimistic.

I once had a pair of industrial safety boots modelled on traditional army boots that lasted me 13 years.

Finally the sole came off one walking in the Outer Hebrides - and it was final. It was good that I had a spare pair of heavy shoes with me.

Thread: Import cutters and end mills
16/04/2020 15:45:31
Posted by Barrie Lever on 16/04/2020 14:25:40:

Neil

'it's just a lump of metal'

How does this trickle down to model engineering? well through better and cheaper materials and techniques. I want to do some thread milling on the CNC mill as the produced threads are very superior, so I started reading up on it, turns out that it is a technique pushed by NASA a couple of decades ago to increase their quality on hard to machine materials and now people are using it in model engineering..

B.

Thread milling's a lot older than that. The link shows it in use during WW1 for artillery shell base threads - look around 28:35:-

**LINK**

Thread: Serious Readers, serious prices
15/04/2020 08:57:20
Posted by Geoff Theasby on 15/04/2020 03:21:47:

I was discussing this very subject with Serious Readers about a month ago. They claim that High Definition LED lights, which they use, give very accurate colour rendering, with a CRI rating of 100. Ordinary LED score 75-85.

Reading being very largely a black-and-white matter, seems to me they should - if their 'CRI' actually means anything real - rename the company Serious Lookers At Pictures?

wink

14/04/2020 20:09:11
Posted by Andrew Tinsley on 14/04/2020 19:42:34:

What absolute BULLSHIT, "superior light quality"..........."They are unique and deliver the core benefit of the light".

These people should be prosecuted for such rubbish. They are run of the mill, mainstream manufacturer's lamps in shoddy luminaires., at seriously ridiculous prices.

Andrew.

You'd end up jamming the courts with them and their like, then. laugh

I spent long enough in the software industry to recognise undefined 'quality' hype - but then it's everywhere, in every business area.

Edited By Mick B1 on 14/04/2020 20:09:28

14/04/2020 19:35:38

I came across an advert for Serious Reader lamps IIRC in the back of the TV comic we buy.

I'm afraid I was instantly suspicious - I wondered what they do that a <=20 squid anglepoise clone from Ikea or suchlike doesn't. I've never found these latter deficient - we've several in various places in the house, including one mounted over the Warco. What's supposed to be unique about the SR light quality?

Thread: Correct boring with a steady - advice please :-)
13/04/2020 16:37:04

I bored the cylinder casting on one of my engines this way. IIRC I ended up with about 0,02mm taper in a 22,2 dia. x 94 long bore - which was quite good enough to work well.

boring the cylinder.jpg

I could only engage part of the steady with the end flange, to avoid collision with the valve face that you can just see disappearing round the bottom of the casting.

Edited By Mick B1 on 13/04/2020 16:39:11

13/04/2020 15:11:28
Posted by Alan Waddington 2 on 13/04/2020 11:43:42:

Why not true the bar up externally first, at least in the area where the steady sits ?

I think that's key if you suspect the OD's roundness. Quite apart from the taper, your bore might not be round or straight either.

Once that's resolved, look at spring cuts and swarf clearance. I've certainly experienced what Nick Farr described with cumulative deflection or something like it, and that was in freecutting LG2 where there were no practical issues with swarf clearance.

Thread: Thoughts for those falling ill
13/04/2020 14:46:09
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 13/04/2020 14:18:11:
Posted by Mick B1 on 13/04/2020 12:37:00:
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 08/04/2020 11:09:51:

It's the sort of stupid dishonesty expected of Communist dictatorships.

Dave

Sorry - it's any dictatorship, whatever its political flavour. Not sure that China quite fits that label any more - or indeed any of the labels we've become accustomed to.

Quite right. All Dictatorships!

Also agree it's difficult to characterise China's current Paramount Leader as a dictatorship. Life was so much easier when Mao-tse-tung and the Gang of Four were in charge!

Dave

Yes. My cat keeps calling me by his first name.

But hey - she's an old cat. We probably all look the same to her.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest