By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mick B1

Here is a list of all the postings Mick B1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Vickers Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon of 1917
24/02/2019 19:13:29

Nice shell - how did you fit the driving band?

Thread: My wife thinks I'm loosing it
23/02/2019 20:01:09

I've done the Western Isles twice and Skye once from West Midlands, the last one 4 years ago. You might be tougher than I am, but I wouldn't attempt what you propose.

Thread: Myford cross slide backlash
20/02/2019 09:57:43

Backlash is a fact of life on practically every manual machine, and you just have to get used to countering it as second nature. If you try to remove it all - and Myfords give you more capability than some of doing so - you'll find the hand wheel will bind in places and be quite unpleasant to use. You have to arrive at the compromise that suits you best.

Make a habit of ensuring it's taken up in whichever direction makes sure that the slide movement will equal the handwheel movement. Sometimes if the cut's so light that the handle rotates the wrong way under gravity, use the slide lock very lightly just to provide enough friction to prevent that losing your position.

Just my two-penn'orth.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
19/02/2019 17:18:52

Made a new whistle spindle for the S160s - big WW2 American locos, of which our railway has 2.

There were 2 questions I had to ask the top loco fitter - was the 13 thou back taper on the shaft of the original meant to be there? and is that approx. 1" spherical radius on the valve seat surface critical, or can I just offhand-grind a form tool and finish with emery wet-and-dry?

Answers were that the taper's spurious, so I turned it parallel within about a thou, and the seat's supposed to be a 45 degree cone, so that's what I did. They'll soon let me know if there's an issue - but I've seen that loco fitter practically rebuild one of the S160s, and he's in the middle of an 8F now, so I'll not be arguing with him! smiley

I can hear the S160s whistle from my house on a quiet day, so it'll be nice to hear it work as and when it's fitted.

s160 whistle spindle.jpg

Thread: New coffee maker - disgusting taste!
19/02/2019 10:38:41
Posted by Danny M2Z on 19/02/2019 07:28:57:

Here is why I like the local coffee. **LINK** It's pretty good and a mate has moved to London as a barista to teach you how decent coffee should be made and taste, The English might be ok to brew a cup of tea and read the leaves but a decent cappuchino seems to beyond your local talents, His brother is working in Paris btw cheeky

* Danny M *

Oz coffee the best in the world? Turmeric Latte?

Do be'ave. laugh

18/02/2019 21:21:48
Posted by Clive Hartland on 18/02/2019 19:06:21:

Of course during the war the Germans made coffee from roasted Acorns which had to be kept in running water for about 14 days to remove the Oxalic acid before processing.

I judder to think what it tasted like.

I think Eichelkaffee is much older then that - I've seen it mentioned in 19th century stories - and it seems to be being promoted as a caffeine-free health drink now.

But I'm not going to taste it either... cheekylaugh

18/02/2019 17:00:03
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 18/02/2019 14:07:41:
Posted by Mick B1 on 17/02/2019 22:13:16:
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 17/02/2019 20:10:13:
Posted by Bazyle on 17/02/2019 18:40:34:

Silly me, it's the American version who liked chocolate (as well as hunny):

Yes. I worry a lot about him.

17/02/2019 22:13:16
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 17/02/2019 20:10:13:
Posted by Bazyle on 17/02/2019 18:40:34:

strawberries

Stands the church clock at ten to three? And is there honey still for tea?

And don't forget, the British Winnie the Pooh preferred chocolate to honey

Neil

Really, after surviving the friendly fire incident in his own airborne hive-raid as documented in 'Winnie The Pooh And The Bees'? wink

16/02/2019 21:56:48
Posted by Frances IoM on 16/02/2019 19:51:45:
I drink Kenyan - can be a delicate taste - suspect the mix of roasts has just enough bite from the high roast not to overpower the more delicate low roast which might well be destroyed by a No 4 roast - the local roaster to me was lost years ago - now its either Sainsbury's beans/grind or the somewhat higher roast Waitrose which IMO is not as good.

My father brought me up on Chagga AA from Tanzania. I've found the Sainsbury's Original Blend bean is not half bad as a standard coffee.

16/02/2019 16:54:07

Fray Bentos canned pies have been a disappointment just lately - just gravy and veg under a crust. I think someones done a cost-reduction exercise. Not bought any for a year or more now.

16/02/2019 09:54:31
Posted by Clive India on 16/02/2019 08:50:14:
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 15/02/2019 14:28:00:

No one's mentioned the great British love affair with Instant Coffee yet. What do the team think of instant coffee, especially decaffeinated or Camp...

Camp is great having a label with a man with some Camp, which has a label with a man with some Camp, which has a label with a man with some Camp, which has a label with a man with some Camp, which has a label with a man with some Camp.......

Great for demonstrating infinity?

The roles of the turbanned Sikh and the kilted Scot in the picture have changed over time.

But it's not the only bottle useful for demonstrating fractal infinity - as a kid I used to gaze at the cat-and-bottle sequence on my parents' Dubonnet label:-

https://www.retrowallart.co.uk/image.php?img=2368

Edited By Mick B1 on 16/02/2019 09:55:34

Thread: Holding in headstock
15/02/2019 22:14:42
Posted by John Rudd on 14/02/2019 15:08:54:

I would have drilled the holes in the ends prior to tapering....

But in your case, it might be easier to make a split bush with an internal taper to suit that of the cue....just dont drill it too fast if there's a long length sticking out of the otherside of the headstock.....

I think that's probably what I'd do. The soft jaws idea would also work if there's a way to bore them through whilst they're clamped inward onto something.

If there's a problem with the spindle bore, you might use a fixed steady to hold the end you're going to drill for the threaded joint, possibly with another bush if there's too much risk of the pads marking the surface.

Edited By Mick B1 on 15/02/2019 22:15:30

Thread: New coffee maker - disgusting taste!
15/02/2019 14:29:16
Posted by Samsaranda on 14/02/2019 20:49:16:

.... Army tea has a unique taste difficult to describe or quantify,

Dave W

...and from my memory of Army cooking, benefits greatly from a trace of Rangoon oil from a wipe with your rifle rag before pouring in! wink

13/02/2019 19:23:57

Well, I'm a coffee drinker and find a coffee filter machine fine so long as the beans are good and freshly-ground, so I don't really know what I'm doing commenting on this thread - but, if the older machines worked, why doesn't the new one?

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
13/02/2019 11:32:20

Nice 10V Oxymoron! smile

If built to drawing, running it fast exposes the lack of counterbalance to the crank, and it's hard to find a solution that justifies pulling it to bits again.

I just delivered 30-off carriage window sash locks to the local steam railway, for whom I do volunteer machining. This has made me think more seriously about getting a QCTP, because the 4-way on my WM250V can only really take 2 tools of normal length. I could use a single tool to turn the parallel and thread diameters and do the undercut behind the thread, but was still left with the knurl, the radius undercut for the chain hook, and the the domed end on the 2nd op after parting, and the changes inside the cycle got a bit tedious.

A small capstan would've come in 'andy...

carriage window sash locks 30-off.jpg

Thread: Scary Technology
12/02/2019 12:35:43

I'd expect that electronic countermeasures capable of disabling drones' internal controls or jamming their GPS interaction will shortly emerge. It'll probably be possible to circumvent that, but it might make it too expensive to be murdering dissident students.

Thread: ML10 tailstock
12/02/2019 10:22:42

Well, on the rear and middle you measured across the keyway, which is going to understate the diameter by a value that's hard to calculate.

Nevertheless, I'd guess from the front end measurement (which avoids the keyway) that, even if the quill fit is defined on a shaft diameter basis, it should be at most 1.000", so someone seems to've inserted that taper sleeve with great force, and probably with something trapped between sleeve and bore. You have to wonder how badly the inner surface of the taper is scored for them to have done that.

Plus what other damage they might've done elsewhere?

It'd be worth checking the quill at rear and centre avoiding the keyway, too.

11/02/2019 21:34:59
Posted by Dave Springate on 11/02/2019 19:45:36:
I've also use a 12 bore pull through to make sure the inner taper is spotless too.

I'd use a phosphor bronze wire brush too with Young's 303, followed by flanelette patches to clean and a wipe with an oily rag... wink

Was the taper sleeve stuck by rust, or excessive insertion force?

Thread: Scary Technology
11/02/2019 16:04:07

So, what shall we disinvent today? ....

Thread: ML10 tailstock
11/02/2019 09:39:14

I sold my Speed 10 3+ years ago, but from what I remember I'd reckon Alan Donovan's reply is nearest. If you got the quill out it's hard to imagine that anything could've been done since with sufficient force to swell the quill and jam it.

I should think if you'd done that you'd know about it!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest