By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mick B1

Here is a list of all the postings Mick B1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Endless Repeats
18/01/2022 17:29:10
Posted by RMA on 18/01/2022 16:57:57:

It's high time the BBC was held to account.

Definitely a time for change!

Maybe but fix it, don't trash it. I thought the same of the EU, but unlike the EU, the Beeb is Britain's to fix.

Edited By Mick B1 on 18/01/2022 17:29:38

18/01/2022 13:06:53
Posted by Dave Halford on 26/12/2021 12:44:43:

To be honest the last time I was at work and attended a meeting with food provided I had no idea that I was in fact at a party.

Was there wine, music and dancing till the early hours?

18/01/2022 11:50:47
Posted by pgk pgk on 18/01/2022 11:00:41:

I do agree with the terrible state of TV in some other countries where advertising is intrusive to the program, often to the point where ads take up more of the screen than the subject matter. However, the BBC has also changed.

Well, I think it's pretty close to what's happening here with commercial channels - it's why at least some of them are offering an ad-free service - of course for extra money!

I think the most serious risk associated with the huge variety of channels available now is fragmentation of culture. To some extent the limited number of channels in the 50s to 70s took the place of regular churchgoing, in that they provided a measure of common experience that members of a community could share and discuss on following days.

Now, with the huge variety of (generally speaking) low-grade programming distributing attention in such a dispersed manner, once you've sorted the weather, there's potentially nowt left to talk about to anyone not in your own interest group.

However we might change the BBC, I think we absolutely need a common cultural anchor or some sort.

Edited By Mick B1 on 18/01/2022 11:53:14

Thread: What Did you do Today 2022
14/01/2022 20:55:22

Another clock converted to use a GPO slave movement for the railway. This was a Smith's Astral 123 with a very nice movement, I'd guess made 1950s - 70s, maybe in Coventry. The posts supporting the original movement had to come out - they were effectively riveted or bonded to the back of the face, so I needed to fill the resulting holes and try to match the face colour to cover the repair.

Astral Clock Conv.jpg

I gave them back the extracted movement. They might be able to sell it on via auction site - they seem to fetch a few quid.

Astral Clock Movt.jpg

Edited By Mick B1 on 14/01/2022 20:55:45

Thread: 2000 Year old computer
12/01/2022 23:04:19
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 12/01/2022 21:11:30:

On the contrary, the Greeks had all sorts of mechanisms. No doubt the Antikythera device was just one example of many geared mechanisms, even if it was the most complex.

Have a look at this link to Hero's Inventions (born 2,000 years ago)

If it really is an orrery it's orders of magnitude more complex.

Plus it seems to me many of the descriptions may not have been realised in practice, and even then many are either single devices or sets of such in series, not multiple simultaneous calculators.

Fine precision geared mechanisms of this character would have opened up enormous possibilities for calculation which would certainly have been of benefit to those trying to calculate with Roman numerals of the time.

Edited By Mick B1 on 12/01/2022 23:04:58

12/01/2022 10:07:15
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 11/01/2022 22:28:14:

I wonder if a lot of the popularity is due to enormous respect for the skills of its unknown makers when metalworking as sophisticated as in this instrument, was still in its infancy and the tools available must have been very basic and rather crude by our standards.

Simple domestic, trade and military objects made in bronze, often with a lot of engraved ornamenting, were common by then, but the Antikythera Mechanism is in a league of its own.

It is indeed, and for me that makes it a bit of a pointless curiosity.

We seem to have no evidence of a development path, or any distribution or further re-use of its technology. Imagine how differently the ancient world might've developed if they'd had commonly-available and capable mechanical calculators, for example.

We might only be who, how and where we are today simply because that particular experiment went to the bottom before its potential could be recognised.

surprise ?

Thread: Engineering as Art
10/01/2022 12:01:50
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 10/01/2022 11:31:31:

Most agree the Spitfire has artistic merit. Is anyone turned on by the biplane?

Dave

Wikipedia's comments on this biplane - especially the Operational History - say it all, pretty much as you might expect from looking at it... laugh

10/01/2022 10:13:43

When I was a tool draughtsman in the late 70s - early 80s I can certainly remember being impressed by the distinctive, fluent and economical style of some others in the game. Such drawings would also have to take into account the material types and dimensions most likely to be available to the toolmakers, which features would be most useful as datums, and what tolerances to apply where, in order to meet the limits specified for the component the tool was to produce. That can be where art and craft flow into each other - it could feel like the draughtsman was reading the toolmaker's mind.

Drawings for batch production, of course, have to take interchangeability into account, as well as potentially economy of material - they'd often be produced in full knowledge of the machinery and tooling expected to be used in manufacture.

Model engineering drawings don't really have these constraints or preconditions - the draughter doesn't know whether the maker's going to use a CNC machining centre, multi-spindle auto, a power-drill in a vice with a file, or anything in between. Interchangeability usually doesn't matter except where multiple examples of the same component are involved. So they're going to supply basic dimensions and leave the maker to determine tolerances and fits. Inevitably that means the maker has to do more brainwork and that can feel demanding and unfriendly. That was what I felt in my first ME projects.

Edited By Mick B1 on 10/01/2022 10:15:17

Thread: Items which gave most satisfaction to make
08/01/2022 16:13:21
Posted by clogs on 08/01/2022 15:28:26:

Ramon Wilson, that boat is almost to nice to get wet....

Mick B1, I rather like ur Dodo.....

Mr Duffer, managed to escape that pleasure "having my own" but help'd bring up somebody else's.....

It's a Brontornis of the Miocene in S.America. Allegedly it was 8ft tall, weighed up to 350 kg, ran at 40 mph. and ate horses.

But it's away with the Dodo these days.

As for the babies SOD, I guess we may both be of an age where we're thinking one day they might be maintaining us. laugh

Oh, and there's a hoop back chair I made on a course 9 years ago from sawn logs with pole lathe, travisher and steam box. I use it every day, and so do friends and family when they come. Nothing remarkable to look at, I hope it survives for many more years.

08/01/2022 10:34:11

In my album there's a blued titanium light-pull shaped like a fish. I think it may be the only thing I've made that someone might pull from the rubble of future centuries looking much like it does now, and wonder who made it and why...

smiley

Thread: WM250V Delrin Change gears
07/01/2022 21:21:11

Are you setting them with paper to get the mesh correct? My iron gears run with a pleasant hum, not uncomfortably loud.

Thread: ANTIKYTHERA MECHANISM not the first??
07/01/2022 10:08:18

Thanks to Diogenes for saving me the trouble of looking up those links!

When I saw the thread title,it brought to mind things I've wondered about with the Antikythera Mechanism - where are its antecedents and copies? It's like finding the remains of a Mondeo where there's no trace of anything like an Austin 7 or a Model T.

Thread: what happened to...
06/01/2022 19:52:22

I'd imagine there's quite a diversity of opinion on a site like this, and we've had warnings before from mods about contentious politics.

Thread: Another temptation to Drive without due Care and Attention
06/01/2022 12:47:35

Alexa,

Activate the teleport module to take the turkey twizzlers directly from freezer to garbage grinder.

Save me the trouble of being sick.

winklaugh

Thread: Is there too much choice?
01/01/2022 20:26:50

This thread risks political shutdown.

Many of us remember stories of pathetic incompetence, restrictive practices and excessive delays from the nationalised utilities of the 1970s, but the way to fix those would've been to resolve the organisation of those industries, not waste the consumers' time trying to strain a signal from the noise of a barrowload of endlessly churning suppliers.

Yes, there's too much choice, and it's our time that's wasted, and big advertising costs for unnecessary comparison industries are generated, which ultimately have to be paid for out of our bills.

Edited By Mick B1 on 01/01/2022 20:27:17

Thread: Middle of Lidl
01/01/2022 14:52:21

I've taken a more careful gander at the 8mm drill in this set, and compared it with one in another set of 15 drills that Lidl also sell from time to time. I've come to place quite a bit of confidence in drills from the 15-piece set for most purposes.

The drill from the 15-piece set would just drag in my Mitutoyo (imperial) vernier mic at .3148" or ~7,9959mm, so it's around 0,004mm/1.6 tenths undersize.

The same-ish fit was achieved with the one from the 107-piece set at .3144" or ~7,9858mm, ie. about 0,014 undersize - say a bit over half-a-thou in old money.

I don't have a sufficiently accurate way to measure any point offset, but I'd think anything more substantial than a moonbeam at full eclipse would be enough to bring a resulting hole from solid up to size or a bit beyond.

I have to wonder whether these may actually be repackaged seconds from the 15-piece set. I'd think they'll be ok for most purposes except for use as Dagenham reamers in holes designed for tight-limit dead-size pins or dowels.

Thread: Do you "still" enjoy driving?
30/12/2021 16:48:21

For me it all depends where I am, why, and how much time I have. I can remember very unhappy journeys when much younger, driving to see an ill-natured and demanding software customer (my job was implementing sales/inventory/purchasing/manufacturing systems), but also perfectly relaxed trips where I drove a 400+ mile roundtrip and delivered 6 hours training or data-conversion work in one day.

It's true the roads are busier now and very many businesses are operating on tighter just-in-time schedules than they used to, but there are still times for an easy cruise down the motorways.

Being older, I find the country roads harder work now... smiley

Thread: Dividing head advice
30/12/2021 11:39:51
Posted by Robin on 30/12/2021 10:39:05:
Posted by Mick B1 on 28/12/2021 12:50:4

Hey, if you gotta source for blunderbusses that can compete with used divvy heads on price, please share!! wink

You couldn't expect a sliding safety or the spring bayonet of course smiley

Very nice collection there. Never tried one myself - do you shoot any of them? Top and middle ones look as if they're made for a realistic dispersal pattern of shot. Fourth one down looks especially exaggerated, presumably for visual effect.

I guess it'd be hard to find a use for that many divvy heads... wink

28/12/2021 12:50:47
Posted by Robin on 28/12/2021 11:50:21:

Wonderful old dividing heads show up on eBay, usually missing foot stock, and plates, When one turns up with the full kit there is a feeding frenzy and you have to decide between a dividing head or another blunderbus. I usually go for the blunderbus.

I bought the Vevor with the 4" chuck. The 5" looked unnecessary and rather clumsy. I have to remake the catch plate.

NB: I usually get the wrong word, it's an age thing, may not be a catch plate at all smiley

Hey, if you gotta source for blunderbusses that can compete with used divvy heads on price, please share!! wink

Thread: Middle of Lidl
27/12/2021 20:01:56
Posted by Martin Connelly on 27/12/2021 16:07:47:

I see that one of the items that will be available this week in Lidl is a 107 piece set of coated HSS drills in 14 sizes Ø1 to Ø10 for £14.99. They may not be top grade but for pilot holes or general use they will probably be fine based on other Parkside drills I have had. Possibly worth buying to keep the better drills for when you really need them.

Martin C

Lidl drill set

My experience too with other sets. TiN coating, good clean grind, accurate to size within my measuring limits, good durability of edge and fine for resharpening. I can only wonder whether I'd ever use the quantities... smiley

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest