By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mick B1

Here is a list of all the postings Mick B1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Washer undercut
31/10/2017 18:06:54

Purely a cosmetic feature then, with no engineering significance?

31/10/2017 13:46:18

I don't know why you wouldn't use the same 30 deg. chamfer down to AF diameter that's on both sides of a standard nut. The paint would be affected in almost the same way - if anything with less damage, due to the absence of a right-angled edge.

Thread: Couple of things at Lidl
30/10/2017 18:24:19

Set of metric HSS drills, TiN coated, 1,5 - 10mm.

Unusual grind, with a point angle around 140 degrees, facetted clearance angle and precise web-thinned point.

I've drilled black mild and silver steels with the 4mm. size, and it worked well with low thrust required and even curls of swarf from both flutes. The lip looked the same after as before, and the plating was still there.

As far as I can see, a decent small set of drills for £3.99.

Thread: Condensation
30/10/2017 17:43:49

I keep my main emphasis on product - I do Model Engineering to amuse and amaze friends and family. For that reason I'm unwilling to engage with time-consuming infrastructure or tooling projects unless they're absolutely necessary.

So I just use a dehumidifier. In a previous house I was lucky and could easily pipe the condensate away, but where I am now I have to empty the 2L tank every couple of days.

If I forget, and find the lathe with condensation on it, a wipe with a flannelette rag removes it. Very occasionally a thin layer of rust appears, but a bit of scotchbrite and WD40 will take that away as if it had never been. But with the machinery in use nearly every day, that doesn't often happen.

Thread: Right hand threads
29/10/2017 22:29:04

They were following the sun, which appears to rotate clockwise through the sky. Hence anticlockwise or left hand threads are 'widdershins' - against the sun.

Thread: Mild steel
28/10/2017 17:17:50

Black mild steel usually behaves this way. It's usually sweeter to machine than bright drawn if it's of decent quality without inclusions.

Thread: What have I done wrong??
28/10/2017 14:44:49

Maybe it's how I'm reading it, but I can't see how this would occur except by eccentricity of the initial 4-jaw setting.

Why wouldn't you use the reverse jaws on your 3-jaw to face the rear, and bore for the axle? It's only going to be a couple of thou out, and you can clean that up when you mount on the mandrel. Or is the periphery of the casting too rough?

Thread: Are you offended when the media poke fun at your hobby?
26/10/2017 19:59:57

Media attitudes and those of the wider society only reflect back and forth on each other.

Apart from periods such as wartime, when it was very clear to everybody that how we fared would depend to a great degree on our engineering capability, engineers have been persistently undervalued and patronised.

A few receive inflated accolades which - whilst they may not actually be undeserved - invariably ignore the work of the great number of enabling workers who collaborate to bring them to fruition.

Sometimes there seems to be an attitude among some educated folk that anybody capable of concentrating on anything for any length of time must belong somewhere on the autistic spectrum.

So no, it would be far too simplistic to be offended by such a programme. The problem is much bigger than that.

Edited By Mick B1 on 26/10/2017 20:10:46

Thread: Calipers - Dial v digital
26/10/2017 08:40:32

I was a shopfloor machinist in the '70s when dial calipers first appeared. Loads of machinists bought them but they started to slip teeth very quickly. This was in the days when the Mitutoyo name had absolutely none of the quality significance it has today, but I took a chance and bought a Mitutoyo 6" vernier instead - which I still use from time to time, because I didn't feel the dial calipers were trustworthy.

I use an M&W value line digital for most work, with an old Mitutoyo vernier mic for accurate diameters. For rougher work I've also got an Aldi digital which still seems to work after multiple dredgings with coaldust, oil, swarf and suds (though you have to wipe it clean and rezero!). I guess I still won't trust dial calipers...smiley

Edited By Mick B1 on 26/10/2017 08:41:07

Thread: slitting saw speed
24/10/2017 21:32:25

You do sometimes get steel shafts with intensely case hardened skins, but soft inside. I can remember trying to machine some knitting machine pushrods that I'd been able to cut with a hacksaw, but couldn't turn with HSS.

Thread: eclipse hss tool broken in 2
24/10/2017 17:42:26

I've done that to a 1/4" square bit when I tightened all 3 toolpost screws down onto it, but had forgotten that the packing only extended under the front 2. Didn't know I'd done it till I took the tool out.

Thread: BA threads. Why the tpi?
22/10/2017 19:59:27
Posted by Michael-w on 22/10/2017 19:54:55:
Posted by Mick B1 on 22/10/2017 19:16:36:
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 22/10/2017 18:12:25:

I'm curious as to why any system of measurement should gather a fan base, become a national icon, or need defending.

Dave

The answer to that is that people who've made substantial intellectual investment learning idiosyncratic systems as schoolchildren are naturally protective of the effort it cost them.

The metric system is based on measurements of prime meridians on arbitrary points of a map. You could equally call that idiosyncratic, anything that's based on a perception of importance, even if it's as simple as "the rule of thumb", is still swayed to towards somebody's entirely human opinion.

Michael W

Not disputing that.

22/10/2017 19:16:36
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 22/10/2017 18:12:25:

I'm curious as to why any system of measurement should gather a fan base, become a national icon, or need defending.

Dave

The answer to that is that people who've made substantial intellectual investment learning idiosyncratic systems as schoolchildren are naturally protective of the effort it cost them.

Additionally, a great deal of the documentation and drawings for model engineering projects and mechanisms dates from a period when that system was in the ascendant, so it makes sense for model engineers to be fluent in it and conversions between it and the currently-favoured system.

Thread: Faceplate or Independent Chuck?
22/10/2017 14:10:55
Unless you're machining lots of irregular casting, I think a 4-jaw is hugely the more useful. When I went through a 6-month centre lathe training course in the 70s, the 4-jaw was the default fitting, and we got used to truing up every job in it as standard practice.

Laziness since has meant that I normally now use the 3-jaw, but if I could only afford one fitting, the 4-jaw would still be the clear choice.
Thread: Manual lathe for large diameter turning
21/10/2017 12:09:22

Back in the 70s I was turning big cable reel components for the Coal Board on a Binns & Berry with about a metre or more swing into a wide bed gap, but a max between centres of maybe 2M. I came to think well of the machine, but I can't remember any model no. I think it was already quite old back then.

Edited By Mick B1 on 21/10/2017 12:14:20

Thread: Lathe tool question
20/10/2017 16:40:36

You have to look at the locating nest for the insert in the tool body. I've got 2 indexable Glanze tools that I bought years ago. They were 8mm, but I milled them down to 6,35 so they'd fit the tool packing pieces I'd made for the Myford, but they transferred to my Warco 250V without mods.

You can use smaller sizes than 12mm with suitable packing, which you can make from 1/2" or 12mm square section steel or alli, milled to an 'L' section so as to support the indexable tool at the correct CH.

I have a suspicion that, despite my 250V being metric, the CH is actually 0.500" above the floor of the toolpost, so 12mm tools might conceivably need a thin packing shim. I say this because my packing pieces made as above are .250" thick on the foot of the 'L', and 1/4" square HSS toolbits come to CH with little or no grinddown on top.

Whichever tool you buy, make a note of the size and angle of the insert location - when you look on the Bay, sellers of inserts usually post dimensions. I didn't know anything when about them when I started, and I haven't bought any yet that won't fit.

Thread: New chinese lathe or old Myford lathe
20/10/2017 09:01:13
Posted by Hopper on 20/10/2017 01:09:50:
Viewing some of the clapped out sheeters on the market and listening to their seller's high praise for them will be an education along the way.

Yeah, but you have to be able to recognise them for what they are!

That takes experience, and some would rather develop experience in using machines to make what they want, rather than faultfinding and looking for - or making - scarce tooling and accessories.

18/10/2017 21:17:45
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 18/10/2017 20:21:30:

My advice - if you can't tell chalk from cheese, buy new rather than second-hand.

Loads of fun to be had with a lathe, get stuck in.

Dave

Yep, he's right.

Engineers are supposed to be ingenious - it's what the root of the word means. What counts is making what you want with what you've got. Just do it...yes

18/10/2017 19:41:36
Posted by Jeff Dayman on 18/10/2017 19:13:27:

You see the exact opposite on China lathes. Usually they have a very high very flexible toolpost with a very small footprint where it meets the bed. That, and a non rigid bed, are main reasons for inaccuracy and bad finish, along with tool setting and grinding problems.

Just my $0.02 worth.

The saddle on my Warco is about twice the width of that on the Myford Speed 10 it replaced, and the bed also about twice as wide. Using the vertical slide I can do milling that would've defeated the Myford. I can use broad radius form tools on titanium, which I couldn't on the Myford.

Thread: Milling machine questions
17/10/2017 20:38:51
Posted by Nige on 17/10/2017 19:53:56:

I decided a while back Mick B1 that I was not going to rely on being able to do the necessary milling on my old Myford ML4. I don't think it is rigid enough in the right places and the overwhelming advice has been don't do it

Ah. I don't think I could argue with that...face 1

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest