By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mick B1

Here is a list of all the postings Mick B1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Completed Twin Inline IC Engine
04/01/2019 21:44:10
Posted by John Olsen on 04/01/2019 20:39:50:

Most four stroke model aircraft engines simply rely on the oil in the fuel to lubricate all of the engine. It might seem a bit sketchy, but remember the fuel has much more oil in it than would be typical for say a modern two stroke motorcycle. A three to 1 or four to 1 mix is pretty usual. So there is plenty of oil around and much of it manages to make its way into the crankcase. Even where big ends are plain bearings they last well.

The Honda 50 stepthru also used the dipper system for big end lubrication. Larger versions of that motor like the 90 had a pump.

John

Thanks for that - all clear now. I didn't know about the high oil content in the mix, I could see there's not really room for wet sump and splash, and I guessed aero-engine revs would (typically) be rather higher than a lawnmower... face 1

04/01/2019 17:13:21

I'm obviously talking way above my level here blush- I never twigged the petroil lube or 180 crankshaft, which presumably are referenced in the drawings or backing literature, or maybe just expected background knowledge. I'm sure I've seen ball and roller mains and bigends in 2- and 4-stroke m/c engines that weren't force-lubricated, so I'd imagine your theory will *probably* work. But of course, in the 2-stroke case, unburnt petroil passes through the crankcase and over the components inside, whereas what's getting there in your engine - if I've understood correctly - is burnt combustion blowby. Will there be any effective oil left in that?

Thread: Stuart Beam Engine
04/01/2019 15:12:48

Running a caliper across the top of mine, it looks as if my column top is 2.111" across, with 55-56 thou recesses to achieve the 2.00" arm gap. I'd think it's the 2.00" across the recess bottoms - with equal depth recesses - that you need to attend to, or several other dimensions'll be thrown out. But the thin flanges above and below the recesses only fit fresh air, so the height of those is not very significant.

Thread: Completed Twin Inline IC Engine
04/01/2019 09:22:04

Outstanding piece of work.

I'm familiar with 4-stroke parallel twins from motorbikes a long time ago, and this has a similar configuration, but what about ongoing lubrication? The parallel twins I remember had oil pumps, internal oilways to crank- and camshafts, dry sump systems and separate tanks.

Thread: Surface finish
03/01/2019 09:37:36
Posted by Adrian Harrison on 02/01/2019 21:50:01:

...but I'm thinking my lathe being an older 3 speed pulley just is not fast enough

With a decent HSS tool, there's practically no such thing as not being fast enough. Sometimes finishing and screwcutting is done at speeds of 10 M per minute or less, or even by hand-rotating the spindle or chuck for some tasks.

Thread: Angle checker
29/12/2018 14:55:22
Posted by Pete White on 29/12/2018 10:24:03:

Do people have a load of broken digital calipers lying around, that hinder finding the one that does work?

Edited By Pete White on 29/12/2018 10:28:30

Edited By Pete White on 29/12/2018 10:31:29

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" (William Morris)

So no, not me.

I'll keep one whose fine precision is suspect (currently an old Aldi one) for rough work and to avoid exposing a good one to very dirty conditions, but as soon as it becomes untrustworthy for that, out it goes.

Thread: Emco Compact 5
29/12/2018 13:29:15
Posted by Barrie Lever 1 on 29/12/2018 12:49:38:

The EMCO machines were designed and manufactured by proper engineers who really understood their business, however the market changed and their locality cannot support low cost manufacture. The desirability and quality is still appriciated as can be seen on Ebay when plus 30 year old Unimat 3's and Compact 5's change hands for more money than new Chinese mini lathes.

Regards Barrie

That's certainly true. Nevertheless the current Unimat 3 clone - Sieg C0 - is not materially inferior in quality, and has some real advantages like stepless speed variability and 67% more motor power. 

It also doesn't destroy drive belts at the rate my Unimat 3 used to... laugh

Edited By Mick B1 on 29/12/2018 13:37:16

Thread: Angle checker
28/12/2018 22:20:39

It may not be that you can't see it, just that you don't.

I've certainly had things that remained hidden in plain sight.

I've known people at work who could do that... angel

Thread: Min lathe steady rest for up to 65mm diameter
27/12/2018 10:03:05

Go for the easiest solution you can afford. If there's a suitable 3-point for your model of mini lathe, or one you could modify, don't waste time you could be using to make the things you actually want. It's too easy to become enmeshed in tooling projects that never leave you free to pursue your real interests.

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
26/12/2018 20:07:35

Not today, but 4 days back ... finished this little racer to go with the 3-year-old grandkid's little garage set. It's titanium, brass and delrin, 22mm track by 67 long.

img_2535.jpg

Thread: Tiffany & Co Advert with lathe
23/12/2018 09:24:01
Posted by pgk pgk on 23/12/2018 00:23:38:

He's got the wrong chuck key and defo needs to take it out before firing up the lathe.

I couldn't see a chuck key, right or wrong - but there's a whole raft of unpleasant possibilities if he starts it up.

Oh wait, were you punning on the the golden 'Key'? Ngerrr... cheekylaugh

Thread: Best way to turn long, thin brass job
21/12/2018 20:46:12
Posted by CHARLES lipscombe on 21/12/2018 20:30:24:

Jeff,

Can you please enlighten me what a box tool is? Getting parallel cuts on thin bar is something that crops up from time to time in what I do, and I don't yet have a fully satisfactory method for doing this

Regards, Chas

Roller Boxes and Vee Boxes are - or used to be - common capstan lathe tools. A biggish casting projects toward the chuck/collet from the tailstock or capstan, with an adjustable toolbit to turn the diameter and either 2 rollers or a vee to support the workpiece against the cut. The roller boxes were used for steel components and could take very substantial cuts in an industrial power machine - one of the first exercises in the Government Training Centre course in the 70s was to take some 25mm A/F hex bar and roller box-turn a bolt with a 10mm diameter mirror-bright finish 100mm long. Then index to a second roller or vee box, turn 8 dia x 12 mm long, index to a die box and thread the small diameter M8. The rollers in the box tool followed closely behind the toolbit and polished the surface. The vee box wasn't as good and was more often used from brass and other soft metals.

You'd need quite a cute one to turn a long 1/16" diameter - the sort of tool you'd be more likely to see on a Swiss Auto in the clock or instrument industries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw7xRZsORug

Edited By Mick B1 on 21/12/2018 20:54:34

Thread: Warco v Chester.
20/12/2018 19:30:48
Posted by Jon on 06/12/2018 19:59:06:...

Warco dont waste your breath, i couldnt deal with my customers the way they do.

They dealt decently and knowledgably with a problem I had.

Edited By Mick B1 on 20/12/2018 19:31:29

Thread: HSS lathe tools
19/12/2018 15:17:39

The OP mentioned screwcutting. How easy is it to get the 55 or 60 degree angle on a toolbit for the Eccentric Diamond? At first sight it doesn't look straightforward, and might require quite a lot of material to be ground away owing to the depth of the front face in this configuration.

The main point I think is that we all come to our own solutions over time, and circumstances and work type are at least as important as toolmaking techniques and purchasing decisions in determining which shortcuts - if any - work well for us.

19/12/2018 13:51:36

I made a 'L' section support that allows me to use 1/4" square-section HSS toolbits, sized so that a 10 thou or so grind on the top surface will be on centre height. So I can grind interchangeable toolbits with tips of various shapes and rake angles - inside and outside rads, thread forms, angles, left- and right-hand knife profiles. I've found the HSS sets have only one or two tools I'll use in unmodified form - I end up grinding them to something I do want. And I have to say that in at least one case I've found their HSS suspect - it wore very quickly in a sort of crumbly, crystalline fashion that I've never seen in a simple square-section blank, wherever it may've come from.

Thread: Drill Speed
16/12/2018 09:28:30

They look like reasonable guidelines, at least for the twist drills - which I use far more often than any of the others.

But guidelines are all they can ever be. Job-specific conditions relating to work- and/or toolholding and/or cooling/lubrication and/or material condition can always introduce issues that might cause you to vary from them.

Thread: Colbalt Lathe tools
15/12/2018 19:29:56

My father-in-law gave me 2 pieces of 1/2" square Cobalt HSS in 1975. I ground one of them to a 55 degree screwcutting tool. I have to admit that my use of it has been highly intermittent, but I've only recently reground it for the first time, after doing some 1" x 8 TPI threads about 6" long for locomotive superheater header bolts.

Use it at reasonable cutting speeds, and it could last a lifetime - though I suspect the basic quality of the HSS might be as important as the cobalt... thinking

Thread: Vickers Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon of 1917
13/12/2018 09:22:40
Posted by Richard brown 1 on 13/12/2018 08:20:29:

Mal

Great work, how are you going to make the breech interrupted screws?

Rich

More difficult in the breech ring than the plug, I'd think... >

Thread: Vertical milling attachment vs combo lathe/mill??
11/12/2018 15:57:14

The addition of a milling column to a lathe has always looked spindly to me. For milling in what is primarily a lathe, the vertical slide has always seemed to me far more rigid.

I've wanted a milling machine for ever, but with my double-swivel vertical slide I've so far always found that for model engineering I can actually manage with what I have - so the purchase of a mill goes onto the back burner yet again.

Certainly the wide cross slide on my WM250V is far stiffer for milling than the same setup on the Myford Speed 10 I had previously, and the fine powered cross-feed allows a very good finish. Metal removal rate and envelope are both limited, of course, but - as I said - I've so far found I can manage. There may still came a time when that changes but it's certainly a good working start.

Thread: Flycutters: help to understand 3 different types
10/12/2018 15:13:13
Posted by Ron Laden on 10/12/2018 12:57:31:
Posted by Mick B1 on 10/12/2018 10:55:36:
Posted by BW on 10/12/2018 10:18:56:

I cannot figure out which part of your cutter contacts the work and cuts it, your bottom edge looks almost horizontal to me.

I thought the same on looking at the pic. I'd want to back off the bottom edge to give it a bit of trail clearance angle and prevent the trapping of bits of swarf against previously-cut surface. But then the flycutters I use in the lathe are very much less rigid.

It does look like that in the previous picture but the picture below shows the angle with the tip touching the surface of the work piece.

Ah, yes, thanks - that's what I'd do. I smooth the point rad with a medium India oilstone and usually get a shiny finish, like on the fishes in my album or the valve face here:-

**LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest