By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mick B1

Here is a list of all the postings Mick B1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: If starting again, what would you buy with a budget of 5k?
11/03/2019 08:54:40

Starting again?

Oh gawd, nooooo! I don't wanna go through all that again! surprise

Took me nearly 40 years to get where I am now, and buying the main machines is really only quite a small part of the process. It's finding and making the tooling and working up the techniques to use it that really soaks up the time and resource.

5k just doesn't go anywhere down that track.

Thread: New Toy
11/03/2019 08:44:20

Looks a bit contradictory to me. The loopy bit on the far end looks like an auto toolchanger carousel thingy, but the handwheel in the window shrieks 'manual'. Somebody'll maybe give us a clue eventually.

Thread: Scrollsaw for the occasional user
11/03/2019 08:38:03

Dunno what sort of work you're expecting to do, but I just bought a Scheppach that's probably regarded as a cheapie, and temporarily pinched my B&D workmate back from the missus - who'd been using it for her drum carder - to mount it on. It vibrates and clatters a bit (maybe I should be using a finer-toothed blade) but I've cut out a couple of wooden toys for the grandkids, so I think it does what it says on t'box.

Edited By Mick B1 on 11/03/2019 08:38:47

Thread: Myford Lathe on Ebay
10/03/2019 19:39:08
Posted by Mark Rand on 10/03/2019 17:33:42:

I'm not quite sure why anyone bids on ebay without using a sniping program. It doesn't serve any useful purpose sad.

It's quite possible to snipe manually by entering a bid about half a minute before the end. You might or might not win depending on whether somebody else who valued the item more had put in a higher snipe, but you can be reasonably certain nobody would have time to react to your bid and put in a higher one.

Of course it's more time-consuming to sit and wait for the right moment, but occasionally you might not notice something you want till then. I usually use sniping software, but have occasionally succeeded manually.

Whichever way, you're forced to decide what the thing is worth to you, and be prepared to shrug if you lose to someone who wants it more.

Thread: The Frrankenlathe
09/03/2019 09:34:13

Interesting that he has the tailstock running on separate bedways to the saddle. I've seen that before on a big Binns & Berry. It can be useful, but I'd imagine it fails value engineering to most 'proper' lathe builders. Of course it gives this guy an extra straightness/parallelism feature to look after in his build.

Thread: Hardened Silver Steel Shattered - How to Avoid?
08/03/2019 17:20:04

I've also found I needed 2 tries to harden a silver steel cutter I was making, and I too had to soak it for a minute or so at red heat for it to 'take'.

Tempering is a careful re-heating till you get a light-straw surface oxide colour - obviously you gotta polish up enough surface to be able to see that..

As NDIY says, the chips have to go somewhere and arguably the teeth you file need to be a good deal deeper than the groove you're cutting to give them an escape route. I'd go for 2 teeth on first try and maybe turn up a couple of blanks to allow for failures.

It'd be difficult to provide side clearances to the teeth, and hopefully you might get away without. I'd guess the biggest risk is the centre column of the brass getting hot and expanding inside the cutter to jam its teeth?

Edited By Mick B1 on 08/03/2019 17:23:46

07/03/2019 17:25:16

Bearing in mid what Bandersnatch pointed out - which meshes with my own experience in buying and selling antique telescopes - I think it might go very high now, and wouldn't be surprised at £2k+.

Though mind you, it would've helped the seller if they'd put a bit of effort into cleaning it up a bit better and photographing it in attractive light.

Thread: How do you make a lifting eye
07/03/2019 14:48:23

Why not make from 1/2" round bar, milled both sides flat equally to 1/8" thick on the centreline, drill a 1/4" crosshole and radius countersink both sides, then file or bench grind the ring profile? That's what I've done a few times.

06/03/2019 09:12:36
Posted by Steve Neighbour on 05/03/2019 21:39:06:

Hmm . . . I've been looking for a while and the seem to average over £1k as fizzy mentions !

Hope the seller doesn't leave it outside when it rains !!

I think they or the previous owner already have. Some of the accessories look neglected. The tailstock end bed wear looks a good few thou deep, and that argues considerable use elsewhere. IMO this machine's of interest to someone prepared to do a refurb project - so long as the price stays sensible - less so to someone who wants to get into action quickly making other things.

Thread: Help with mini lathe/required tooling to turn a 20mm Cylinder from AL
05/03/2019 12:24:53
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 05/03/2019 10:25:17:

Almost any mini-lathe will do the job. It could probably be done on a Microlathe (Seig C0 size), but I'm prejudiced against them - too small.

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 05/03/2019 10:26:43

I think if I reversed the jaws in my C0, it might *just*cope with 35mm, but it'd be a close-run thing. I bought it for use in a teeny-tiny house we lived in part-time temporarily, and - without prejudice wink - it's best used for teeny-tiny work.

Thread: Can opener - the holy grail in engineering?
03/03/2019 20:28:04

We've got one we've had for several years with what look like fine-blanked gears and the hand key and pressed-steel shear handles embedded in thick plastic - looks like ABS. It works well and looks as if it'll do so for some time.

It cuts the lid out inside the folded rim, which I think is the right way to do it - it's safer to handle the empty can for recycling and easier to re-use it for whatever purpose because its shape is properly supported.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
03/03/2019 17:48:34

Thanks for clearing the duplicates of my 13:45:47.

03/03/2019 13:49:18

Oh bl@@dy 'ell - quadruple post - soddin' smartphone - how do I get rid?

03/03/2019 13:45:47

Dave - yes, I've made about 10 so far and probably have demand for 3 or 4 more. But amusing family and friends is one of my reasons for doing this hobby.

Roy - the internals in contact with the salt are stainless and ceramic. Nevertheless the brass on the first few was getting spotted after a year or so, so I've started using clear lacquer on it. I've got 2 in regular use at home so we'll see how it goes.

03/03/2019 09:18:58
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 02/03/2019 17:48:06:
Posted by Mick B1 on 02/03/2019 16:18:20:

2 more salt/pepper grinders for the missus' twin sisters' birthday, in olivewood and spalted beech with black delrin and brass.

Good job! They make very nice presents indeed. I think matching pairs are particularly hard to make - side by side comparisons highlight even tiny flaws.

Thanks also for improving my vocabulary with 'spalted' - wood colouration caused by fungi. I can't wait to use it as if I really was educated rather than being a complete pseud!

Dave

Well, thanks for that, but I only learned the term spalted from the label on the wood I first bought back when I was pretending to try to be a woodturner. I could never be bothered to learn some of the tricks they do, but I did like the colours of some of the woods.

Close visual examination would show that even ignoring the wood, they're not really an identical matched pair.

But hey, that's OK, neither are the twin sisters! laugh (No sniggering at the back there!)

02/03/2019 16:18:20

2 more salt/pepper grinders for the missus' twin sisters' birthday, in olivewood and spalted beech with black delrin and brass.

grinders.jpg

Thread: Myford ml10
28/02/2019 15:03:57

Swing over saddle is 5 7/8", over cross slide 3 7/8"

Thread: My wife thinks I'm loosing it
27/02/2019 09:10:48
Posted by Martin Johnson 1 on 26/02/2019 16:30:07:

If you are not used to (very) long drives, make sure you take plenty of breaks, and leave plenty of time - the roads get a lot slower (and a lot more dangerous) north of Glasgow / Edinburgh.

I can't match Martin P's 50k miles a year, but as a systems consultant I was often doing 35k + .

Not sure if the roads are more dangerous north of Glasgae - though I have seen BMWs with German and Italian markings racing each other on both sides of the road north of Loch Ness - but the constant meandering and variations in width and gradient make them hard work.

That's where the tiredness comes in.

Thread: Vickers Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon of 1917
25/02/2019 23:00:23
Posted by Maurice on 25/02/2019 20:48:57:

This thread has taken me back to when I was nine or ten. I had a toy howitzer just like this. Probably by”Britains”. It had proper traction engine type wheels, a controll to elevate it, breech loading, and could lob a one ounce shell about twelve feet! Probably couldn’t sell it now. Happy days!

Maurice

Yes, I had one o' them - it was Britains Ltd., called itself an 18" howitzer, and it could indeed knock out an Airfix Panther across a 12 ft. landing. Bit of backlash in the elevating handwheel IIRC...

Thread: Bench Grinder
24/02/2019 22:06:50

I've got a cheapie 150W that I got from B&Q maybe 15 years ago, replacing a similar one I'd also had for about 15 years. It does the job for me, I use it several times in any week, and some of my tools have some detail to their shapes. I dress it regularly with a cheap diamond. When the wheels get too worn, I'll dump it and buy another.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest