By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mick B1

Here is a list of all the postings Mick B1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Mystery object
09/03/2022 09:33:30
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 09/03/2022 08:53:29:

Hi Mick, thanks for your information although I'm not familiar with the technical jargon. The actual weight of the bullet, which I didn't think to include, currently weighs 11,1793 grams.

Regards Nick.

About 172 grains, and flat based, so not M1 or M2 ball.

Opens the question of where your bullet came from, then. You've got a case that's been fired at full pressure, and a bullet that hasn't. It looks as if the bullet may not've come from an identical round to the case. An outside possibility is that it's an American-made .303 calibre bullet (actual diameter nominally .311"  ). A normal .30 calibre bullet would measure .308" diameter, but a .311" might finger-fit into an expanded fired .30 caseneck.

Dunno....

surprise

Edited By Mick B1 on 09/03/2022 09:34:04

Thread: 7/16 B S B Thread
08/03/2022 13:20:45

Looks like you can get a carbon steel die for 4 quid from Tracy Tools.

Thread: Mystery object
08/03/2022 12:55:31

Nick,

I think you have a standard US military .30-06 ball round made by Remington Arms of Bridgeport CT in 1943.

It's probably M2 Ball with a 152-grain bullet at a nominal MV of 2,805 ft./sec.

I suspect it's been fired in a military weapon with slightly relaxed chamber tolerances, from the mild swelling at the case web ahead of the extraction groove.

Edited By Mick B1 on 08/03/2022 12:59:41

07/03/2022 21:45:14

When I click on your link, Dave, I see a different bullet to the one in your second pic - one that looks a bit more like the OP's in that it has a crimping groove, but still has a radius on the ogive, not a simple cone.

Pure match or target bullets *usually* don't have crimping groove - as in your second pic - as reloaders may have to seat at a depth to suit the rifling leed of their individual rifle. 40 thou standoff is a typical starting point for load development. Strong case-neck tension is used to hold the bullet in place against handling stresses.

A crimping groove suggests intended use in a production magazine rifle - the groove plus crimp prevents bullets getting seated deeper by successive recoil.

So I'd guess the LeHigh is being sold as a niche sniper (or long-range target/wannabe sniper) projectile to suit a particular model rifle. The OP's bullet may be aimed (hardy har har) at the same market.

I might be way behind the times, but I thought the balance between recoil, long-range flat trajectory, downrange energy retention, crosswind resistance, accurate barrel life etc. etc. had put .338" calibres in fashion for the time being for this purpose. .375" might need heavy rifles with pretty robust users if it's going to satisfy similar criteria.

Edited By Mick B1 on 07/03/2022 21:48:07

07/03/2022 19:04:23
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 07/03/2022 18:37:45:

If it was rusted I strongly suspect this is the core of a 50BMG bullet. These used a steel core and while I can't find a dimension for the core 0.375" seems reasonable for 0.50" round. It would also explain the somwhat pointed profile. I did wonder before if it was a core but the gut indicates i wasn't tungsten and the rust was nor mentioned.

Someonr cut the jacket off a 50 cal bullet.

Robert G8RPi

Possible, but the standard ball and AP rounds here:-

https://man.fas.org/dod-101/sys/land/ammo-50.gif

...don't show a similar form.

Some of the SLAP rounds have a long cone point, but the ones I've seen on t'net don't have a boat tail...

indecision

06/03/2022 17:57:50
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 06/03/2022 17:26:00:
Of course doing home ballistics in the UK requires the legalities to be met: no second amendment sophistries here!

Dave

Yes, most of mine were done before the insane atrocities that produced the current legal labyrinths.

06/03/2022 16:06:44
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 06/03/2022 15:02:59:
Posted by Mick B1 on 06/03/2022 14:25:22:

I thought it departed from G7 profile in that the pointy bit ahead of the bearing surface, or most of it, appears to be a simple cone, not the G7's 10-calibre radius. That's why I called it a spire point. […]

Way out of my depth here, but :

MichaelG.

AP could be a possibility. It's why I asked about the hacksaw cut - maybe the saw-wielder came up against the tail of a hard core and gave up.

But hey, even if I knew that, it wouldn't really give a definitive ID. American bullet-makers like Speer produce TC-cored heavy game bullets in .375", but they're not for long-range use and don't look much like that one.

06/03/2022 14:25:22

I thought it departed from G7 profile in that the pointy bit ahead of the bearing surface, or most of it, appears to be a simple cone, not the G7's 10-calibre radius. That's why I called it a spire point. I think it's more modern than early C20 and may be quite recent, as interest in long bullets with high sectional density for long-range target shooting seems (to me at any rate) to have developed more strongly in the last 20 or 30 years.

In a normal-weight rifle in .375 H&H, it's likely to produce fierce recoil.

05/03/2022 17:29:42
Posted by larry phelan 1 on 05/03/2022 16:04:48:

Could be left over from the Zulu Wars ? Who knows ?

No chance. 1879. Brass-cartridge, breech-loading rifles were in use, but blunt round-nosed, paper-patched lead slugs of .450" calibre and upwards - and the brass was rolled foil 'n' coil, not solid-drawn. Nothing like the bullet shown.

But Derek Lane could be right - oddly, my phone shows the OP pics more clearly than my monitor, and they could be extraction scores from pulling the bullet. There are a few ways of doing that without mangling the ogive and bearing surface with pliers. I'm wondering if the hacksaw cut allowed the case body to be broken away, and the bullet was then driven from the remains of the neck by a punch from behind, into a 3/8" drilled hole to retain the the neck

There's an MTAC 352 grain match bullet that looks quite a lot like it, but that has a tiny hollow point (not intended for expansion) whereas this one looks to have a small spherical rad on the nose. I think it's a pretty modern target bullet.

Edited By Mick B1 on 05/03/2022 17:30:42

05/03/2022 13:58:13

Agreed 'tis a bullet by all appearances, but an odd one.

From the shape you might call it a boattailed spire point. But most spire point bullets are softnosed hunting projectiles and usually short, light and flatbased to allow a high velocity and flat trajectory over shortish ranges with light recoil - for smaller targets, sometimes 'varmints'.

This ain't none o' those things. It's got to weigh about 300 grains, and if those rifling marks (note the left-hand twist) are real - they're not especially clear in either pic - then it's been fired into something providing very light and uniform resistance to bring it to a halt without severe scoring and/or distortion. .303 full metal jackets typically bend double or even snap in two in range sandtraps as they topple and try to turn over under deceleration. Perhaps this particular bullet flew a full trajectory in air and only hit the ground spent with little energy remaining.

Left hand twist is a characteristic of 303 and some other British calibres of late C19 and early C20 - I don't know whether Holland and Holland used it in their .375" Magnum big-game rifles, but I doubt a modern (almost certainly US or perhaps Czech) maker would do so.

Is there anything hard, like tungsten carbide, at the bottom of that saw cut?

Edited By Mick B1 on 05/03/2022 14:00:05

Thread: Diminishing chocolate bar
04/03/2022 14:08:06

I buy Oetker's extra-dark baking chocolate - you can get it in the home-baking aisle of most supermarkets.

It's about the same price as Cadbury's kiddie stuff, 74% cocao solids and only 29% sugar, so you can get a hard theobromine hit with low(-ish) sugar intake.

Wot's not to like?

laugh

Thread: Steel Blue recommendations
03/03/2022 22:21:02

I've used G96 bluing creme. Wash the steel to remove all oils in hot water and detergent, rinse well, dry and apply the gel with a brush. Wash again and keep applying till you like what you've got, then oil up.

The cannon in my album was done that way.

Thread: Warco WM250V Screwcutting
01/03/2022 21:08:20

My manual contains no reference to or picture of the chasing dial, nor is there any label indicating how it should be used. IIRC I even tried engaging at the same marking each time, and still found it didn't pitch in accurately.

I've taken mine out of leadscrew mesh, and I don't miss it.

01/03/2022 18:23:36
Posted by JasonB on 01/03/2022 18:11:13:

Thanks Mick, looks like the latest V has a 2mm, earlier ones were certainly 3mm. Out of interest what is the gear train shown on your machine for 1.25mm?

I've got:-

H 30

......|

75 80

|

60 H

and the pitches are C=0.62, A=1.25, B=2.5 for the feed settings.

Incidentally, I notice the manual advises to leave the nut engaged, and the chasing dial doesn't appear in the photo on the front of the manual or in the parts lists!

It's just a sales gimmick IMO.

Edited By Mick B1 on 01/03/2022 18:54:29

01/03/2022 18:04:34

Mine's a metric WM250V and it has a 2mm leadscrew pitch.

Most of the threads I cut are Imperial for the steam railway, and I just leave the nut engaged and reverse back to the thread start. It's simpler and safer.

In my early days with this lathe I played about with the chasing dial on both metric and imperial threads, trying to get some sense out of it, but decided life was just too short. In any case, my experience with its predecessor, a Myford Speed 10, led me to think you can waste just as much time waiting for the lines to come round the dial as you would reversing back.

I've wondered if chasing dials might be a fossil feature, from the time when reversing lathes was more time-consuming than it is now, if it was possible at all - and manufacturers just put 'em on 'cos they've always been there.

Edited By Mick B1 on 01/03/2022 18:08:00

Thread: Hand Hacksaw
27/02/2022 13:12:20

SOD's comments are likely correct, but you have to balance Baroque testing techniques against the time and resource taken to carry 'em out!

Added to which, as others like Hopper have pointed out, people develop skills of their own in using the tool variants they're familiar with, in which circumstances confirmation bias becomes a valid component of judgement.

For myself, I've had an Eclipse No.60B frame for about 45 years, I've never been aware of the blade twist others describe, and can find no negatives about it that wouldn't apply to pretty much any other type. I use Eclipse 12" x 24 TPI HSS bimetallic blades when I can get them, and the only blades I think were rubbish were unbranded cheapies whose source I can no longer remember - perhaps my confirmation bias edited them out... wink

Edited By Mick B1 on 27/02/2022 13:27:04

Thread: What Did you do Today 2022
24/02/2022 19:06:29
Posted by ChrisLH on 24/02/2022 17:44:02:

Re. gun/cannon on aircraft, could it be that guns fire inert missiles whereas cannons fire shells containing an explosive charge which detonates on impact ?

I think that's more or less the case, but some cannon shells have fancier fuzing than just impact detonation. But of course there are explosive and incendiary rifle-calibre bullets too. Ain't no 100% rule AFAIK.

24/02/2022 19:06:27
Posted by ChrisLH on 24/02/2022 17:44:02:

Re. gun/cannon on aircraft, could it be that guns fire inert missiles whereas cannons fire shells containing an explosive charge which detonates on impact ?

I think that's more or less the case, but some cannon shells have fancier fuzing than just impact detonation. But of course there are explosive and incendiary rifle-calibre bullets too. Ain't no 100% rule AFAIK.

24/02/2022 18:56:07
Posted by duncan webster on 24/02/2022 15:14:26:
Posted by mgnbuk on 23/02/2022 22:42:04:

ME109s

BF109s

Nigel B.

According to Wikipedia allied aircrew and some German called it ME109. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me

That's what I thought.

Thread: Songs about Engineering
24/02/2022 10:17:33
Posted by Colin Whittaker on 24/02/2022 06:51:42:

An engineer told me before he died

as learned at the UK's foremost engineering university in the late 70's

Edited By Colin Whittaker on 24/02/2022 06:52:54

I thought that song was funny when I was a lad, but it's gross and bloody-minded.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest