By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mick B1

Here is a list of all the postings Mick B1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lathe tooling
23/07/2019 17:18:44
Posted by Howard Lewis on 23/07/2019 16:14:29:

One of the advantages of Tangential Turning Tools is that the toolbit is simple to grind. Literally, one face. The toolbit is clamped in the jig and the top surface ground.

Refit toolbit to holder, set to centre height, and resume cutting metal. The Holder sets all the clearance angles for you.

As Sergei (the Meerkat ) would say "Simples"

Howard

But it won't do special forms. Once you get the hang of it, rakes and clearances just go in automatically, without any special thought. You can keep the meerkat.

23/07/2019 16:04:11

IMO time spent learning to grind drills and HSS tools offhand pays off most handsomely.

You can work up a great variety of form tools to generate almost any detail shape you might want on a turned part. I have about 20 for various partial radii, corner undercuts in hard-to-acess areas, screwthreading and vee-grooving, combined chamfers and grooves, etc.

It might cost you a day or two, and half-a-dozen or so failures - maybe I don't remember the 70s that well - but I'm certainly glad I took the trouble now.

You'll need a dressing stone, and maybe later a diamond-tipped stick, to keep your grinding wheels clean and straight. I've found that I replace my bench grinder every couple of decades, but with cheap-end ones I use, that doesn't hurt.

Thread: Key ring project
22/07/2019 21:36:51

Heat it carefully and it'll go an amazing blue.

Edited By Mick B1 on 22/07/2019 21:37:30

Thread: Solving Engineering Mistakes
22/07/2019 16:55:12

Fixing your errors in a sound and practical manner is one of the things engineering is about.

Everybody makes them, but not everybody owns up.

If the side plate step is where I think it is, some sort of shim 20 thou thick should work, but you need a way to stop it slipping out. I think I'd try drilling and tapping a couple of (say) 5 BA or M3-ish holes through both sideplate and shim and put screws or studs in to anchor it. Don't think you can have them protruding on the inside, so you'll need an exact length and Loctite 271 or suchlike would probably help. Whether you can remove invisibly or otherwise disguise the outer ends, countersink, or just leave them visible, is largely an aesthetic/social decision.

I'm sure there are other solutions: quot homines, tot sententiae. wink

Edited By Mick B1 on 22/07/2019 16:56:52

Thread: Lathe tooling
22/07/2019 09:52:31

Almost anything will do!

I've used paper and cardboard, plastic and metal packing strip that came with items in the post, bits of 5 and 10 thou shim, pieces of hacksaw blade with the tooth set ground off and I don't know what else.

The toolpost on my Warco WM250V will take 12mm tools too, but what I've made is a packing piece from a piece of 1/2" square section BDMS with a step 0.250" thick and the same wide milled into it. Then I only need shim to offset anything I've ground off the top of an HSS tool, and my 2 Glanze tools (8mm shanks milled down to 1/4" ) fit straight in without further packing.

There'll be people telling you to buy a Quick Change Tool Post, and when I was doing this for a living they did often save time and faffing about. But the ones I used were difficult to cock over at an angle to get into awkard corners so you needed a bigger selection of tools. I've not bothered to find out if that's the case for the common model engineering variants, 'cos I'm not doing for this for pay and I cope easily with I've got.

Edited By Mick B1 on 22/07/2019 09:53:50

Thread: What mills have you had
21/07/2019 17:30:43

I worked a few mills in the 70s - a biggish Varnamo vertical and a couple of Bridgeports. I still use a Bridgeport clone when I do volunteer work for the railway.

But I've never had one of my own. I use a vertical slide in my lathe, and so far I've been able to do everything I needed. I'd certainly like a mill, but it'll probably have to be a bench-sized one to fit the space and budget I have.

Thread: What lathes have you had?
21/07/2019 14:33:27

In the 70s as a turner, I used Elliotts, Wyverns, Colchesters, Harrisons, Binns & Berrys, some of them several sizes and models, and probably a few others I've forgotten.

My first 'own' lathe was an Emco Unimat 3, 1980 - 2000.

I had a Myford Speed 10 from 2000 to 2015.

In 2015 I replaced the Myford with a Warco WM250V, which I like a lot - except a screwcutting gearbox would sometimes save me quite a bit of time.

I also bought a titchy Sieg C0, which is really like a more powerful and slightly less nicely made Unimat 3. I still use it now and again for small work when I've got something set up in the Warco.

Thread: Wiggler or edge finder?
20/07/2019 20:28:23
Posted by Boiler Bri on 19/07/2019 22:56:28:

Mine is like the second from the left.

**LINK**

brian

Mine's the one on the far right. I don't think I've ever used the pointy end - I'm not sure how it would work to datum off an existing hole, but the more I think about it, the more I think I should try it. The parallel end is very good - consistent within less than a thou. It was a cheapie, maybe from Arc - can't remember - well worth the tenner or so it cost.

Thread: Surplus subjects learnt at school.
20/07/2019 11:03:55
Posted by Kiwi Bloke on 20/07/2019 10:46:21:

In retrospect, none of the subjects were 'surplus', although it didn't seem like it at the time. Some of the teaching was, however, dire: how is one expected to learn a language from grammar text-books and vocabulary lists? What is the point of being expected to be able to recite 'the dates' of the kings and queens of England? However, I wish I'd paid more attention to the non-science subjects that didn't come easily - they seem so much more interesting now. I was told to 'try harder', but what did that mean? No-one ever explained...

Edited By Kiwi Bloke on 20/07/2019 10:47:18

That's fair comment half-a-world and a folded Empire away, but I find that, although my knowledge of dates is in some cases imprecise within a decade or two, I do have a reasonable view of the main movements of history as a result - though of course from a strongly British perspective.

At the time,however, it seemed deadly dull and gruelling when Fat Harry dished out a list of dates at the start of a lesson, we spent half the period learning it, then the second half doing a written test. <where's the yawn emoji, then?>

Thread: Finally sort of know which lathe to buy, but?
19/07/2019 20:31:58

I'm an ex-Myford owner too. I've had a Warco WM250V for 4 years now, with the Myford double-swivel vertical slide I saved from its predecessor. This outfit has so far proved capable of doing everything I've wanted, and is pleasant and quiet to use. Those things that've gone wrong were always my own fault, and fixable by me.

Whether you need a vertical slide depends pretty much on how much milling and co-ordinate drilling you're gonna need to do. My vertical slide is in use at a guess 30 or 40% of the time.

Thread: Surplus subjects learnt at school.
19/07/2019 19:42:22

I found Latin a drag at the time, but I'm now grateful for it. It makes several other languages easier to understand even if you can't speak them, and it exposes the structure, roots and original meanings of very many English words too.

IMO the boundary in knowledge between that which makes life practical and that which makes it interesting is never sharp.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
19/07/2019 17:44:17

Finished fitting a bolt I'd made for a pair of sliding doors I put in last month:-

img_3161.jpg

The bolt's there so that the back livng room - generally Carol's art room - can be used as a bedroom without losing access to other parts of the house when a bunch of friends or relatives come visiting.

I 'spect I could've done it more easily, but this way just occurred to me.

Thread: If it ain't broke don't fix it - or should I?
19/07/2019 08:57:24

You're not worrying about the dried-up oil stains on yer headstock.

It works well. Why fuss about unseen cosmetics - this is engineering, not fashion?

If you hadn't put it on this forum, only you, and perhaps He Who Sees All Things would know.

laugh

Edited By Mick B1 on 19/07/2019 09:25:25

Thread: A little rant about Emojis and their kin
18/07/2019 14:58:28
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 18/07/2019 14:46:41:

Update: **LINK**

https://emojitranslate.com/

is available ... but I don't know how good it is

MichaelG.

For finding meanings for emojis in common or not-so-common use, it's completely useless AFAICS.

17/07/2019 17:38:57

It's just another evolution of language, and whatever anybody may try to do, languages do what they do regardless and expressions of whatever nature mean whatever their users and readers accept that they do.

They represent a set of new characters which can be called up from a computerised selection, so they don't depend on the user's ability to draw them, and therefore don't require the substantial learning exercise of the reputed thousands of characters of some oriental languages.

Some emojis are useful, some aren't. The selection I get on this site is hugely larger than I know how to use, and come to that I've not seen many of them in other folks' postings either - if I had, I might have a better idea of what they mean... blush

Edited By Mick B1 on 17/07/2019 17:39:42

Thread: Myford Vice for Vertical Slide
16/07/2019 17:38:11
Posted by Howard Lewis on 16/07/2019 15:49:15:

With regard to Jason's broken vice, the fracture was probably caused by excessive clamping force against the fixed jaw, rather than how it was clamped to the machine. Tightening the moving jaw against the workpiece, and the fixed jaw, imposed a tensile load on the base, greater than the material could withstand.. Cast iron is not elastic, like steel, being strong in compression, but not in tension.

Howard

I thought that too, but what amazes me is that any tommy bar that could fit through the 'ole in the 'andle could be strong enough to deliver it!

Edited By Mick B1 on 16/07/2019 17:38:51

Thread: What started your interest?
16/07/2019 17:33:02
Posted by Stuart Bridger on 16/07/2019 13:34:47:

I always had an interest in mechanical stuff and often got into trouble as a child for taking stuff to bits (and not putting it back together) Started with plastic kits from the age of 8. At school I excelled at metalwork and loved my first experience with a lathe (Boxford). I was lucky enough to get an apprenticeship with British Aerospace. There I ended up working in an Electronics field and then drifted into IT. The reality of the IT industry is that it has no tangible legacy. No project lasts more than 3-5 years, so I had an urge to get back into cutting chips to actually make something that lasted.

Seconded! I've worked through 3 main generations of MRP software over 38 years. What was apparent was that anyone developing a new system got together a bunch of bright graduates with little or no experience and had them work up the design under tutelage from an insufficient number of experienced personnel.

The result was invariably that bodies of knowledge built up at some cost in the previous generation of software were ignored entirely, and even the defining terminology was reinvented from scratch by people with little or no idea of previous usages. IMO the overall effect has been to stultify development and maintain it in a condition similar to, say, motor car design between 1900 and 1910. Almost anything goes.

Thread: Myford Vice for Vertical Slide
16/07/2019 09:21:38
Posted by Mike Donnerstag on 15/07/2019 18:35:14:

Does anyone use a swivel vice with the Myford vertical milling slide such as this one:

I don't know if you could mount it straightforwardly, but even if you could I reckon you'd just aggravate the already apparent rigidity issues. Might work for plastics, woods and other light materials.

I use a double-swivel Myford vertical slide a lot of the time, with a vice t-bolted straight to its face, and that's springy enough to be quite limiting on milling cuts to steel. I very rarely use the swivel in the vertical plane, but quite often in the horizontal. And that will bring in a further issue of crossslide space and travel - I think it might be difficult or impossible to actually make use of the supposed versatility of such a vice, and still be able to get the tool to reach the job without colliding with some other part of the machine.

Thread: What started your interest?
16/07/2019 09:07:50

Grandpa was a centreless grinder, and as a toddler when the family was at his and Nana's house I came across what I now think was a Vernier caliper lying on a table. Nobody would let me get my hands on it, but I thought it was the finest thing in the world...

laugh

Thread: Different ways of boring a hole
15/07/2019 19:49:19
Posted by JasonB on 15/07/2019 07:34:47:

Thats all part of the fun, trying to work out ways to machine a part.

And finally for those that say you can't swing out of balance items on the lathe

Edited By JasonB on 15/07/2019 07:35:14

Well, this isn't boring but interrupted-cut turning, but it's on a Webster-Bennett vertical borer, and it's a bit asymmetric...

It's an axlebox bearing shell for an A160 loco.

It's not my own setup or operation - work like that's too heavy, time-consuming and valuable for a volunteer like me... 

blush

Edited By Mick B1 on 15/07/2019 19:54:08

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Advertise With Us
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne Sept 2019
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest