By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mick B1

Here is a list of all the postings Mick B1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Unused Xmas Gift
04/02/2019 12:46:52

Milling inserts are always going to have to withstand impact as they come round into contact. I'd try starting with light cuts on alli, then brass, then mild steel progressively. If they do chip, they're not going to be very useful anyway.

Thread: Is it a drone?
04/02/2019 12:37:18
Posted by Cornish Jack on 04/02/2019 10:27:43:

Brilliant, stunning, amazing plus any other superlatives you may care for!! The really telling part is towards the end of the video when a couple of real birds arrive to check out the 'opposition'. They, quite quickly, accept that it is just another bird and go off about their business. Years ago I used to slope soar model gliders near a rookery in the Andover area. As soon as I launched the rooks would come out to fight and made life as difficult as possible. The other point re. the ornithopter is the tolerances he must have worked to plus the design stress calculations - quite mind boggling and surely an enterprise that should get enthusiastic research support.

rgds

Bill

One of the real 'uns looked quite big and buzzardy. Perhaps it decided the thing just looked too uncertain a prospect to try to kill and eat it... devil

04/02/2019 09:54:28

As a demonstration that its engineer(s) have a thorough working understanding of bird flight, it's outstanding. Next bit will be to learn the fold the wings away on landing.

Not sure how far it advances any rational interests though. If it's developed for military reconnaissance use, one result may be that any ground-based campaign will want to wipe out bird life in its areas of interest, to prevent covert enemy surveillance.

Thread: This weeks offer at Lidl
03/02/2019 17:18:13

Well, I think this is a first. I've seen offers of £2.99 down to £2.90, but nothing quite like this:-

lidloffer.jpg

The compressor and air pump are actually pretty useful, but I paid (IIRC) £19.99 for them on an intro offer when the new store opened in Leek.

You really would think that staff might actually read what they're putting up? Or do their conditions make them too cynical to bother?

Edited By Mick B1 on 03/02/2019 17:20:05

Thread: Article in latest ME
03/02/2019 15:54:22

There's already been a thread on this, here: **LINK**

Thread: Questions: Myford ML 10
01/02/2019 10:11:47
Posted by ChrisB on 01/02/2019 08:34:52:
Posted by Tim Stevens on 31/01/2019 14:51:40:

A dog clutch as shown above would have an added advantage. It would be very easy to add an adjustable rod, running leftwards from the saddle, which would disconnect the clutch at a set position. This would enable you to cut threads without the worry of overshooting. So, I'm going to have a good look at my ML7 to see if I could make something up.

Regards, Tim

Exactly my thoughts Tim, with an auto-stop like you mention a lot of the hassle of threading to a shoulder would be eliminated.

As for the guard on the lead screw - I don't mind loosing it (as a matter of fact I took it off already). I don't think I would need a separate wheel on the lead screw if my thinking is correct : Let's say I'm threading to a shoulder, dog clutch disengages at the preset point. Retract the tool and turn of the lathe. Switch it to reverse and turn on the lathe engage dog clutch and return to starting point. Repeat for next pass.

Is my reasoning correct or I'm missing something?

If it is, you'll get a root diameter undercut from the delay between the clutch decoupling and you stopping the spindle. In many cases this is OK, but in pressure-bearing components often not - the thread is supposed to taper out to full diameter without an undercut.

But if the spindle does more than one rev to produce one rev of the leadscrew driven gear, even if you have a single-tooth dogclutch, I'm struggling to see that you'll automatically pick up the thread correctly on the next pass, because only the rotational relationship to the final drive is fixed, not to the spindle.

And back to you and any others: Is my reasoning correct or I'm missing something? indecision

Someone earlier suggested putting the clutch between spindle and geartrain. I think that'd work, but it's a helluva different proposition to achieve.

Edited By Mick B1 on 01/02/2019 10:14:47

31/01/2019 17:10:14
Posted by Tim Stevens on 31/01/2019 14:51:40:

A dog clutch as shown above would have an added advantage. It would be very easy to add an adjustable rod, running leftwards from the saddle, which would disconnect the clutch at a set position. This would enable you to cut threads without the worry of overshooting. So, I'm going to have a good look at my ML7 to see if I could make something up.

Regards, Tim

Even if you left the halfnuts engaged, you'd break the rotational relationship between spindle and leadscrew. Implications of that don't seem to me to make life any easier.

31/01/2019 14:00:04
Posted by ChrisB on 31/01/2019 11:57:07:

Wondering if such a dog clutch could be applied to a WM280 and similar lathes...the lead screw connection look similar - any one tried this before?

I think it'd be quite a lot of work - though I'm thinking from the WM250V point of view, not 280.

You'd have to lose or substantially mod the telescopic leadscrew cover to make room for it.

Plus the only reason I can think of for doing it - the purpose I used it for when I had a Speed 10 (ML10 derivative) - is to have a handwheel and dial on the distal end of the leadscrew for precise setting of saddle position. But if you add one o' them, you'll then be stuck with manual crossfeed for facing or milling unless you can be sure to remember to lock the saddle and disengage the halfnuts before re-engaging the dogclutch. All seems a bit much to hold in the head to me, with a bit higher risk than I generally like.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
31/01/2019 09:49:21

Carol's got a 1/4 size violin to teach the grandkids, and wanted a hook for the boxroom/cello room wall, so I made this outa Delrin, brass and alli offcuts I had lying about, all done on the WM250V.Violin Hook 2

Thread: Milling on the Chester Craftsman
30/01/2019 19:28:34

I use a Warco WM250V. I adapted their vertical slide baseplate to take my Myford double swivel milling slide - it fits the 2 tee slots in the cross slide top. I've been running this machine nearly 4 years now and I'd guess the slide's in use about 40% of the time, for milling and coordinate drilling etc.

Thread: Last Night's Astro Image
29/01/2019 22:17:18
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 29/01/2019 21:38:59:

M1. the Crab Nebula

Neil

Aha, thanks. I could recognise that once I'd figured out how to zoom the image.

I read somewhere that astronomy splits into the study of the Crab Nebula and the study of everything else...

Thread: Nickel/German Silver
29/01/2019 19:46:20

I have a couple of top-grade early 20thC terrestrial telescopes made by Negretti & Zambra in nickel-silver. Their contemporary catalogue claims that the additional strength of NS tubing as compared to brass allowed a weight reduction of 9 and 13 oz. against the same models in brass.

For something you might be carrying around for hours, that counts.

Edited By Mick B1 on 29/01/2019 19:52:02

Thread: Last Night's Astro Image
29/01/2019 17:12:06

Ok, I recognise the top one as the Orion Nebula with the Trepezium above it, but what's the second? It looks less regular than the Hercules cluster, and too dense for the Triangulum irregular galaxy.

Thread: Milling slide for sale
28/01/2019 21:08:02
duplicate..

Edited By Mick B1 on 28/01/2019 21:09:00

28/01/2019 21:07:48
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 28/01/2019 18:57:24:

It looks like [and is listed as] an angle plate

... Where does the 'slide' bit come in question

MichaelG.

Well, that's what I thought, but it seemed awf'lly negative... wink

Thread: Micrometer woes
27/01/2019 19:30:08

The instruments that I have that have lasted longest are the ones that I just leave lying around on the machines. That promotes their continual use and prompt cleaning and maintenance. My 0-1" mic dates from 1976, and I've no idea how old my M&W Vernier protractor is - a friend gave it me spotted with crud and rust from being kept in a case. I ScotchBrited it off with WD40 and it's never had the opportunity to come back since. The mic is a Mitutoyo and still works pretty well to a couple of tenths on its Vernier barrel, though it lost its metric mechanical counter about a month from new.

I think the tales of woe above confirm my view that it was just well I lost the boxes! laugh

Thread: What type of compressor do you use to power your engines?
26/01/2019 09:19:42

I've posted this before, but it shows an engine with a moderate swept volume (7/8" bore x 3" stroke) running from a 12V tyre inflator. The battery has since given up the ghost, but Lidl's handheld cordless compressor gives the same result.

**LINK**

I put a 5/16" thread on the inlet pipes for all my models so that tyre pumps will fit. The noise is enough to make the grandchildren jump.

Edited By Mick B1 on 26/01/2019 09:23:30

Thread: did u see
25/01/2019 13:23:03
Posted by JasonB on 25/01/2019 10:09:36:

Interesting that in 2012 DM said it may fetch £100,000 here

Not much of a return on 18,000 hours' work. That's about 9 years full-time.

Thread: US/UK Lexicon
24/01/2019 16:57:27
Posted by Philip Rowe on 24/01/2019 16:50:19:

Posted by Cornish Jack

exciting but, through pure luck, non-fatal.surprise Give me over-verbose instructions every time on aircraft, please ... and dedicated people who read and comply!!

rgds

Bill

But this can also lead to problems with people not reading work instructions simply because they are over done and too precise. In a previous life I used to write work instructions in an electronics environment and it was always a fine line between writing something that would enable someone walking in off the street to understand and going to the opposite extreme e.g. "pick up a number 2 Pozidrive screwdriver in your right hand and using a fastener from bin xxx, attach bracket Y from bin abc and tighten to x Nm". OK, I could go on but I think you get the picture. Maybe I was just unlucky in not having the dedicated people who read and comply.

Phil

That's why I say you need to know your audience and aim at the balance of interest and current knowledge you think they have. If they ain't got neither they ain't fit for the job.

24/01/2019 09:02:49
Posted by Bazyle on 23/01/2019 22:57:20:

...If you have a box in front of you with the cover held on by ten screws why on earth do you need to be told to undo the screws to take off the cover. What you really always need is the type, thread and length of the screws for when you lose some. Next time you get in a plane just think of it, the maintenance was done by a bloke who is so thick he needs to be told to take the screws out to get the cover off.

You have to know the expected state of knowledge of your target audience. You have to tell them what they need to know and point out what they need to check they've got right. You don't want to jam their brain with noise and make it hard for them to filter out the signal.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest