By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mick B1

Here is a list of all the postings Mick B1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Warco wm 250,cutting and motor problems
01/04/2022 21:08:36

I've stalled my WM250V several times over the 7 years I've had it. It's saved me a few broken tools and more damaged workpieces, and I've had no electrical or electronic problems with it at all.

It's not a bug, it's a feature!

laugh

Thread: April questions---for one day only.
01/04/2022 21:04:13
Doh! Duplicate...

Edited By Mick B1 on 01/04/2022 21:04:57

01/04/2022 21:02:22
Posted by David Millar 3 on 01/04/2022 16:49:35:

Does steel wool come from hydraulic rams?

My granddaughter actually asked yesterday if it came from robot sheep !

Thread: "Kiv" or Kiev?
31/03/2022 14:30:43
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 31/03/2022 13:39:52:

Don't we call it Kiev as in 'chicken Kiev'? The BBC [and others] seem to have a habit of trying to be more culturally acceptable if that is the correct phase? Two more examples are their pronunciation of Muslim & Taliban.Can't really comment any further as I am a white, European, privileged male, so my views/opinions don't count.

Tony

Well, I think some supermarkets have decided to rename the relevant prepared meals as 'Chicken Kyiv'.

I wonder whether sheet music and recordings of Moussorgsky's 'Pictures At An Exhibition' will have the piece previously known as 'The Great Gate Of Kiev' correspondingly renamed? Bit more difficult, that one, 'cos the composer was a Russian, so why shouldn't he name it in his own language?

Renaming of cities seems to've been quite a common thing, especially to give more accurate rendition in the inhabitants' language - is Beijing a better rendition than Peking? Cologne or Köln started life as Colonia Agrippina under the Romans - whose language puts that better? Perhaps that depends on whatever the Latin pronunciation was.

Edited By Mick B1 on 31/03/2022 14:32:44

Thread: How to choose a high quality end mill cutter?
30/03/2022 14:22:37

^ Top-quality advice throughout, Nigel !

Edited By Mick B1 on 30/03/2022 14:23:16

Thread: Mankind occupies a strange place in the ecosystem !
30/03/2022 09:58:56

It's rather long.

I didn't find the punchline.

wink

Thread: How to choose a high quality end mill cutter?
29/03/2022 16:28:41

I make components of smallish size and I'm not really interested in cubic inches per minute metal removal.

I do practically all my milling in the lathe (Warco WM250V) with a Myford double-swivel milling slide.

If I'm cutting steps and flats I use an 8 mm 4-flute carbide endmill - I've had it at least 6 years and I think it cost me 12 quid from Gloster Tooling. It's still sharp and produces a decent finish on anything I've tried it on - silver steel, titanium, ali, brass, phosphor bronze, several kinds of hardwood.

Flycutting for larger flats uses a standard 3/8 or 1/2" boring bar with a 3/16" 45 degree HSS toolbit. So long as it's sharp, it producesa a silky finish.

For slots I use a 2-flute HSS or carbide slot drill - I've got several sizes and none were expensive.

Some times I do parts for the railway and milling is mostly cutting hexagons in a divvy head on a Bridgeport. There's a 2" diameter 5-insert face mill I usually use if I can find it. There's sometimes a fair bit of metal removal to do there, but then it really isn't model engineering... laugh

Edited By Mick B1 on 29/03/2022 16:29:36

Thread: A sticky Mercer Gauge
28/03/2022 10:07:54

In Baty gauges at least, the guide pin is screwed into the the rack shaft. I have a Baty 0.300 x 0.0005 dial gauge, and the tension spring is under more pull in the fully-home position than yours appears to be. See if you can find a replacement with a suitable rating and free length a couple of mm less than the minimum from guide pin to bottom anchor.

It's hard to see how it could have happened without other damage, but could the rack have been bent by a few thou?

Thread: Finding things
25/03/2022 11:07:49

I liked SpeedyBuilder's precis of "De Bello Gallico", but like when I found my bag of unused keyrings, I wondered what it was doing where it was ...

My remedy has always been to rebuild/move workshop or move house. Then you get to inspect everything you've got, chuck out the stuff that's no longer usable or relates to some defunct side-hobby, followed 3-6 months of relatively relaxed order - before the double-jointed fingers of Chaos insinuate themselves through the interstices of your configuration and the status-quo-ante is restored.

blush

Thread: Suspension Bush material
16/03/2022 13:59:01

As per Hopper's post - delrin/acetal was my first thought. Available, inexpensive and machines to a silky finish with a sharp tool.

Thread: First Lathe - Colchester Triumph (1960s roundhead) vs Warco WM250v
10/03/2022 17:38:07

I've been a turner since 1975, but I'd only buy an older lathe if I'd had the chance to test it properly, especially as the chuck has obviously suffered some unknown but heavy trauma around the key square.

If you don't know lathes well, I'd say the safer option is to buy new.

I too have a Warco WM250V, and for the work I do - which is of small to moderate size - I don't think it's easily bettered.

Thread: Philosophical maxims
10/03/2022 13:56:14
Posted by A Smith on 10/03/2022 12:25:53:

67% of statistics are made up on the spot. - Vic Reeves

No ! Noooo ! It's 88.2% !

I thought everybody knew that....

Thread: Don't really know where to Topic this.
10/03/2022 12:20:07

I liked that too. Nice slide guitar music, a bit like Ry Cooder.

Not sure I'd sacrifice a couple of motorbikes and a collector-grade Beetle to build it, though... smiley

Thread: Philosophical maxims
10/03/2022 11:26:11

Groucho again:-

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself."

Thread: Is this distasteful
10/03/2022 10:12:39

Best not classify people into 'types' or 'brigades' IMO, especially if it's intended to be insulting or patronising, as it usually is. Nobody wants a general label stuck on them for a single specific view they might have.

10/03/2022 09:44:08
Posted by Hollowpoint on 10/03/2022 09:37:43:

This being offended, complaining and wanting things removed because they don't fit your point of view tactic seems to be more and more common in todays day and age. (Especially amongst far left authoritarian types). And it's appalling.

There are plenty of authoritarians at both ends.

Thread: Financial surnames
10/03/2022 09:32:20
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 04/03/2022 22:03:03:
Posted by br on 04/03/2022 20:14:22:
Posted by Brian Wood on 04/03/2022 20:06:36:

Many years ago our Bank manager [remember them?!!] was called Lenderyou

Was his christian name BOB wink

Bank managers - they seem to be collectors items these days

My father visited his quite often I recall in the old days - he approved of his sherry.

Bob is very good - I've been struggling to make a joke out of Mark.

How the other half live! I've never been given sherry by a Bank Manager. Had a letter from one once, 'please do not anticipate your credit...'

Dave

Well, there ya go - another opportunity for humour ground into the dirt by the heel of the Euro... wink

Thread: Is this distasteful
10/03/2022 08:52:25

I think threads should generally be permitted to drop naturally from discussion rather than be closed.

I put in several posts on the thread concerned, and I didn't expect to put in more, as it appeared to me that rational discussion of the available evidence had already been exhausted.

Thread: Steel Blue recommendations
09/03/2022 22:05:37
Posted by Mike Hurley on 06/03/2022 10:16:19:
Posted by Gary Wooding on 04/03/2022 12:23:46:

Mike, the pieces in the photo were coloured in early 2021 and still look fine despite living in a very slightly damp cellar workshop. In fact I can't see any change from the day I did it.

Hi Gary, thanks for the feedback - looks quite promising, so I'll proably invest in a bottle soon.

All the best, Mike

Well, my cannon was done in 2002 with G96 and still looks the same as I look at it now. I wipe it with an oily rag about twice a year.

Thread: Mystery object
09/03/2022 15:10:27
Posted by Clive Hartland on 09/03/2022 13:57:58:

Just to make a point, the original bullet depicted was .9.52 dia. convert to Imperiel at 0.375".

The 0.300 calibre references are not valid.

References to this calibre were made in response to Nick Farr's photo of his round in P2 of this thread, or at least mine were.

Nevertheless I've not succeeded in discovering any .30-06 standard ball bullets of ~172 grains without boat tails, and I've wondered if it's a US-made .303/.311" Mk.VII ball (nominally 174 grains) at the light end of the tolerance range.

Just as I don't think anyone's yet found a .375 boat tail bullet with a conical spire point.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest