By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mick B1

Here is a list of all the postings Mick B1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Covid causing mental health issues.
29/09/2020 15:48:23

+1 for S.O.D's view. I can remember 3 teachers when I was at school who'd fought in the war. One had been in North Africa and twitched and shook most of the time, even in the mid-'60s. One had been held PoW in the Far East and was unable to turn his head more than about 30 degrees or lift his hands above his shoulder. One had been, I think, in the Navy and appeared more-or-less OK. All of them needed to be - and generally were - treated with more consideration than 'ordinary' teachers.

Just saying 'let's not include' this or that category doesn't suffice. They were there and hit by the misery just like others, and they were the same as those others before whatever happened to them.

28/09/2020 20:32:06

Risk is of getting into politics again, but support for people doing nothing is what might be needed. Very many jobs have and will continue to disappear on account of automation of farming, manufacturing and computerisation of administration. There's no way to continue with the employment of the armies of operatives and clerks of yesteryear, and even skilled sensorimotor jobs like driving and construction are coming under threat.

Some countries are already considering Universal Basic Income, and I'm wondering if this will actually be the only way forward in supporting the populations we have, whose once-crucial roles in the world's economies are being steadily eroded. The drastic reduction due to the pandemic of industries involving travel, hospitality and cosmetic services - which had recently taken up much of the employment slack - (when the textile mills and the mines were still running, how many towns had a nail bar or a pet-grooming parlour?) will only accelerate this trend.

In the medium term, many of the alternatives would be likely to involve atrocities of neglect.

Edited By Mick B1 on 28/09/2020 20:41:03

Thread: Ways to use your calipers
28/09/2020 18:30:22
Posted by JasonB on 28/09/2020 12:19:51:

Also make good tweezers for pulling out metal splinterssurprise

And wooden splinters from treeclimbing and playhouses. The grandkids now want one kept at their house...

laugh

Thread: New Haven movement; Questions from a beginner
28/09/2020 11:17:04

Don't wanna hijack the thread and know little of clocks, but...

That painting or print behind the clock photo - looks like a W. L. Wyllie or similar style?

Thread: Ways to use your calipers
28/09/2020 11:06:38

Plus the bloke really annoys me the way he keeps pointing his finger and shaking the caliper in yer face...

devil

But then I was watching it with sound turned down.

smiley

28/09/2020 09:36:00
Posted by Tim Hammond on 28/09/2020 09:06:34:

I bought a Starrett digital caliper a couple of years ago, new, and all of these techniques were described in the instruction leaflet that came in the box...

Same when I bought a Mitutoyo vernier in 1976 - except you couldn't zero those at current setting laugh.

Thread: Cheap Milling Vice Question
27/09/2020 11:22:42

It's one of the things better bought where you can see and handle the goods - to check, for example, how well the jaw edges line up for setting and whether the moving jaw lifts, tilts or stays accurately aligned as you tighten.

I bought mine (visible in some album pics) at an ME exhibition for about 20 quid and have no real complaints.

Edited By Mick B1 on 27/09/2020 11:24:33

26/09/2020 20:18:10

Peter Shaw :- Game software, commercial, marketing and employment monitoring software is one thing. It's written to a budget, and often uses repurposed routines from elsewhere.

Nationally-released, government- sponsored Public Health software for pandemic control, already delayed and trumpeted as critical, is something else. Yes, you can always expect bugs, but the neglect of such a fundamental function argues a failure of managment at the most basic level.

Thread: Unusual Project
26/09/2020 12:30:38

I think you cheated. Your first pic showed one wing with mounted engine, not two. The Germans built - or maybe just designed - something similarly asymmetric in WW2, and I thought you were taking that forward.

Now what you've done looks like a cartoon Gloster Meteor...

Nicely printed, if that's what you did. laugh

26/09/2020 11:34:24

Now I read that some team of software developers - undoubtedly all of them of high IQ - have failed to allow entry of a negative test result to the NHS Covid-19 phone app if the test was booked by another means.

So the users can't reverse the isolation alert.

It really does beggar belief. I spent donkey's years in software development, and I don't think I've ever seen such a dropout in such an important and trumpeted piece of work. It was because of misgivings about summat like this that I didn't rush to install it.

Of course, it isn't only the fault itself - though FCS that's bad enough - it's wondering what others there might be in there.

Edited By Mick B1 on 26/09/2020 11:39:16

Thread: Chatter
25/09/2020 06:56:56
Posted by Baz on 24/09/2020 19:04:04:

Totally agree with S.O.D, industry will also have roughing and finishing tools for everything, on a lathe they will probably run constant surface speed, something not available to model engineers also flood coolant versus our paintbrush and pot, two totally different worlds.

Indeed. As model engineers we're almost axiomatically making small components. We just want to be able to achieve the limits and fits required to get our products to work well.

Industrial manufacturers, OTOH, have competitors in all aspects of their operation, and cost control and economy of operating time is embedded from the earliest stages of the design process. I can remember components for a remote valve control assembly being produced for JCB by a supplier where I was an Industrial Engineer, where the drawing status reached Issue 7 whilst the first production batch was still on the shop floor - all the mods being in aid of speed and consistency of output.

Generally speaking, we ain't doin' this for pay. The designs we work to may test our ingenuity, but often in totally different ways to live industry. Of course we experiment, and cheerfully pocket any advantageous techniques we find, but IMO emulating competitive industry too assiduously is more likely to make our work harder - and more expensive.

24/09/2020 16:32:48

Well, IME chatter does occur on facing as well as turning and boring, even if usually only over part of the face - and it can be a substantial part of it.

I would still use HSS to get out of that situation - IMO it's much more flexible in application.

24/09/2020 13:21:36

Why is there no chatter on the bottom face of the bore? It looks as if it's been faced across very smoothly and if so, and with the same tool, might simply argue greedy depth of cut.

For correcting, I'm another of those pretend experts who'd use HSS tooling. I wouldn't even use an 'official' boring bar, just a square section blank ground with plenty of curved side clearance, a small tip radius, and set with a few degrees plan trail angle.

Thread: Living with a Chester DB10 super lathe
24/09/2020 09:19:36

I'm very happy with my Warco WM250V. It runs smoothly and has proved capable of all the work I've put to it.

It's easy to modify the accessory baseplate Warco sell to take the Myford double-swivel vertical slide. Together with the fine powered crossfeed, that makes a lot of milling possible on small to medium components. You can swing the swivel slide out of the way, so you can keep it mounted must of the time. It might be worth checking that the crossslide T-slots are spaced the same as Warco, and if they are you can probably use most or all relevant Warco accessories - Chester didn't appear to offer a baseplate when I looked.

I found the Warco 3-jaw chuck particularly good - maybe Chester use the same one - and even after 5 years' use it can hold true within much less than a thou on its inner jaws. One effect of that is that it makes me unwilling to change chucks in case I spoil that with a tiny splinter of trapped swarf or suchlike!

I'm not really qualified to comment on motors. I find that the Warco can stall with high-torque work like screwcutting at the low end of the higher speed range, but that's saved me from a number of broken tools and damaged workpieces, and never resulted in any further trouble, so I'm not objecting.

Thread: Climb Milling any implications
23/09/2020 15:06:24

The simplest and most basic advice is to climb mill only on very light cuts or spring cuts after doing all the main metal removal cuts feeding against rotation direction.

The risk in climb milling is that, if the table/leadscrew combination has significant backlash, taken out during approach against the direction of movement, that a leading flute of a climb-milling cutter will pull the table in the same direction to take up the backlash the opposite way, potentially presenting the next flute with a slice to cut that is of full depth of cut and as thick as the portion of the backlash that has been taken up. The stress might be more than the cutter can stand - bang.

I once broke a nice 8mm carbide endmill I'd been using for years by a moment of carelessness like this. Everybody makes mistakes - just try to minimise them.

22/09/2020 20:29:48
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 22/09/2020 19:36:37:

I think the best answer is to say be grateful and count your blessings, and don't be sceptical of the toll 2020 is having on many people.

Neil

Exactly. The pandemic is throwing into high relief the different circumstances many of us live in, and those with high proximity to others and little control over it are suffering badly, financially, physically and mentally - and it can be difficult for anybody to help some of them.

Edited By Mick B1 on 22/09/2020 20:30:16

Thread: WHY THE TANG?
20/09/2020 11:59:15
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 20/09/2020 10:50:20:
Posted by Mick B1 on 20/09/2020 10:41:06:

I think you can write more-or-less what you like in a patent application, so long as it's not libellous or otherwise actionable.

It doesn't have to be true.

[…]

I was only referencing the observation in lines 12-16 as being relevant here, Mick

... are you suggesting that he lied about what was the then ‘customary manner’ ?

MichaelG.

964d3b65-a1f4-4452-991d-c4fa2d02c47c.jpeg

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 20/09/2020 11:10:46

Lied? Far be it from me to suggest such a thing!

I'd say he (perhaps inadvertently) overstated the importance of a partial auxiliary factor in order to emphasise the value of his invention.

I think the fact that the engineering industry has proceeded for over a century without conspicuous takeup of this invention largely bears this out.

laugh

IMO Speedy Builder 5's find is as good as it needs to be.

20/09/2020 10:41:06
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 20/09/2020 08:50:37:

It may not get us much further in the debate, but I’ve just found : **LINK**

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/patent/search?q=pn%3DUS924388A

There is a clear statement on lines 12-16

... and his patent claims an improvement upon that ‘customary manner’

MichaelG.

Edit: pardon the digression, but I must also share this delightful drilling machine:

**LINK**

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 20/09/2020 09:17:31

I think you can write more-or-less what you like in a patent application, so long as it's not libellous or otherwise actionable.

It doesn't have to be true.

It looks as if their hardening processes were a bit different back then. Since the '70s, I've seen lots of twiste tangs, and a few broken with clear signs of twisting deformation before failure, but the drawing suggests it broke abruptly without deformation, as if hardened completely.

Edited By Mick B1 on 20/09/2020 10:41:35

Thread: Reminiscences
20/09/2020 10:12:34
Posted by Philip Burley on 20/09/2020 08:20:34:

regarding the chemist sales , back when I was about 13 or 14 . mis 1950s we used to be able to buy sulphur and saltpetre to try and make out own gunpowder . Never got it quite right though ( luckily) flashes and spectacular flames and very few bangs .

Phil

You were lucky, then. Our chemist would only sell us Chile saltpetre (sodium, not potassium nitrate). It sort of worked, but it was hygroscopic, so you had to dry it out on the boiler or in front of the fire (!!!!!) first.

Don't do this at home, kids...

blushlaugh

19/09/2020 18:51:20

Trams.

Yes, I remember trams.

Dad was working in Germany for 3 years in the mid-50s and our family was with him, living just outside Cologne. Trams were swift and quiet into town and back, and the butchers where mum bought meat used to give me a slice of garlic sausage over the counter.

Then in '56 we came back to England. On the train from Dover, I was trying to reconcile the stories about England being the best country in the world with the wet, dirty, old-fashioned streets we were passing.

We went to stay with an Aunt in Sheffield, and she took us into town on what must have been one of the last tramlines in service. It shook, rattled and groaned as if it hadn't seen an oilcan in years. It rarely seemed to exceed walking pace. There seemed to be no springs at all and I was sore and achy by the time we got off.

It was right outside a butchers shop, and there was a pair of lungs hanging by the door and a skinned sheep's head staring out the window.

Call me a snowflake, but I wanted our old life in Cologne back! surprisesurprise

OK, I don't feel that way any more, but you can imagine why people miight have different memories of UK trams...

Edited By Mick B1 on 19/09/2020 18:53:33

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
cowells
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest