By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mick B1

Here is a list of all the postings Mick B1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cold Blue
19/11/2019 08:57:47
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 19/11/2019 07:24:05:
Posted by Lainchy on 18/11/2019 23:01:02:

Just found this thread... I was interested myself in some bluing, mainly for small tools I make.

...found Abbey Blu Gel on eBay, less than £10 which is what I wanted to spend. I'm not saying it's the answer to all bluing... but for small items, it worked for me.

Clean the part well with 99% IPA... coat, wait, rinse. Repeat 3 times. Works well and is dead easy.

That sounds very promising ... Thanks for the reference.

I realise that this is a rather subjective question, but:

How durable would you say it is ?

MichaelG.

I think that depends to a considerable extent on conditions. In a dryish place with reasonably stable temperatures and an occasional wipe from an oily rag, it should be good if the layer was sound in the first place.

If you look at the cannon in my album, that was made in 2002 and blued with G96 paste after unsatisfactory results with some liquid cold blues. The photo dates from 2005, and it looks the same today.

Thread: Holding a 90mm optical tube to a rectangular bracket.
15/11/2019 16:53:51
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 15/11/2019 14:13:30:

Possibly worth pointing out that standard dovetails, as fitted to the larger scope, normally have two raised, rounded rails which makes it possible to fit them to a large range of diameters.

Neil

I might understand a picture better - but the owner made it clear he wanted to use the diecast stem, for the standoff. None of the rings he had were big enough for the Bushnell. Yes, I could've machined something more solid but I was doing it as a favour, and I'd just finished doing a crosshair illumination drilling of the inner box of a c.1910 Watson astromicrometer for him, without destroying either of the spidersilk crosshairs...

surprise

Thread: Warco WM 250 problem?
15/11/2019 13:48:33

My 250V is bolted to the Warco stand as illustrated above, which rests on a rubber mat on the floor - not bolted down.

I think I'd only have a problem with a very heavy workpiece, grossly out of balance at high revs. I've not had any issues so far.

Thread: Warco WM 250 advice needed
13/11/2019 13:17:47

It depends where the 6mm backlash is. At the periphery of the saddle (longitudinal) handwheel dial, the backlash on my 4 1/2-year-old WM250V measures nearly 7mm, but this equates to just less than 1mm of actual saddle motion. It's never been a problem for me. If I'm after a short precision length turning, I'll touch the tool to the work, lock the saddle and use the compound, which is very accurate. If it's milling in the vertical slide, I'll touch the tool to the work, zero the saddle handwheel and hope I can be accurate to a tenth or so of a division, ie. one or two thou. Usually I get near enough.

The paper method works well for quieting the geartrain - work back from the leadscrew pinion to the spindle. The pinion bushes are tight at first and ease with use. Squirt of oil helps, and they do run much easier and quieter with time - mine's now quite a comfortable chatty hum.

I think my gear knobs were awkward too when new. IIRC I used to turn the chuck by hand to help engage. Now I don't bother, and change them whilst running even though it says not to do that at high speed. Maybe I don't use high enough speeds to get into trouble - I rarely exceed 1000 rpm. The 'B' setting for the coarsest feed needs a bit of care in selection.

Chuck changing is indeed a pain, and I do it as little as possible. Maybe I was lucky, but my 3-jaw is truer as it came than any I ever found in industry when I was doing it for a living, and a set of soft jaws for thin work was a very worthwhile buy.

Edited By Mick B1 on 13/11/2019 13:20:00

Thread: Bantam - warped compound gib
11/11/2019 09:29:19

Have you tried applying a straight edge againsst the light so as to see whether the bend is a uniform curve or localised?

I would think that with a good vice with straight jaws and an understanding of the bend profile, you've got a good chance of improving it considerably, even if you can't annihilate the bend completely.

Thread: Painting! There one day, gone the next!
09/11/2019 09:16:06

Have to respect your colour sense. You know there are people who'd've left it that colour without batting an eyelid?

surprisewink

Thread: Lathe chuck guards - how many folk use them?
08/11/2019 15:08:16
Posted by old mart on 08/11/2019 14:02:51:

Dead right, Mick, machine builders have to supply their products with safety devices to satisfy the legislation, but there is nothing that says that the design has to be actually usable. Some of the worst designs are drilling machine chuck guards.

Yes. Some seem to be intended to prevent anything cutting anything.

A cynic might say that the builders know full well that the first thing the buyer's gonna do is whip it off... angel

08/11/2019 13:30:06
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 08/11/2019 12:45:05:

Assessing the suitability of guards should be part of the machine selection process. If it's not suitable get the vendor to fix it or look elsewhere.

Given that the presence of guards is often a lipservice provision by machine builders, and that we're supposed to be engineers capable of making up our own minds on a solution, I don't think any machine majoring primarily on its guards for USPs would likely make it into the bestsellers lists....

06/11/2019 23:05:43
Posted by old mart on 06/11/2019 21:08:55:

I noticed that a good many people removed their chuck guard because it was badly designed, or just got in the way. Nobody seemed to think of designing and fitting an improved one.

I don't think that's gonna happen. Anything that works as a guard must also interfere with close examination of what's going on at the toolface. Anything transparent just gets crudded up in seconds, even when cutting dry.

Thread: ‘Go- No Go’ or something more?
06/11/2019 15:14:19

Can't see how narrowly the pins are tapered. Could it be to check the root diameter of an external thread or undercut - for whatever reason?

05/11/2019 14:15:46
Posted by Martin Kyte on 05/11/2019 13:28:40:

...what we would consider 'safe' may be inadequate for a youngster.

I don't have a guard fitted to the Myford, but I will if my young great nephews come and have a go.

regards Martin

I've had one of my granddaughters making a pen body on my Warco when she was 7.

'Tain't the guard you have to worry about - it's their distraction of the thousand other incomprehensible (to them) things in yer workshop. You have to watch 'em like a hawk to see what they might pick up.

She made the pen fine, and without incident, but watching and teaching for an hour or two - whilst it was fun - was no trivial piece of work ... smiley

05/11/2019 11:37:09

I think one should consider risk in proportion to its possible consequences. I'm no more perfect than anyone, and on the occasions where I've switched on with the key in place on my ME-sized lathes - I do it perhaps once a year or so - I've suffered no more than a non-bruising clout on the ribs, plus an unpleasant surprise at myself. Maybe because I tend to use HSS and slower speeds than some.

I do remember from my days in industry when a key flew from the chuck of a big Binns & Berry I was running to make cable reel end flanges for the Coal Board. It stove a deep gash in a chipboard partition several yards away. 'Twasn't me that started it, it was the maintenance man, who was sorting out the rapid traverse on its heavy saddle - but it might have been me that left the key there. No real harm done, but it showed what could've been.

So if you develop habits on your size machines, remember they may need different emphases elsewhere.

Thread: Holding a 90mm optical tube to a rectangular bracket.
04/11/2019 20:11:25

Not sure how closely it matches your requirement, but this is an acetal tube mount for (IIRC) a 76mm Bushnell spotting scope set up as a finder for a 7 or 8" reflector. I did it for a friend who's interested in measuring angular separation in multi-star systems.

You can see how spindly the lathe flycutting setup was, but it didn't have too much alli to remove to bring the finder mount seat parallel to the main OTA. I'd already cut off the cast-in tube as it was way too small, but hadn't thought about the draft angle there would have to be on the inside. Considering how heavy the Bushnell was and how feeble the mount looked I'm a bit surprised I got away with it at all, but last I heard he was very pleased with it.

5. flycutting the seat b.jpg

8. mounted and set~2.jpg

I think I was doing a 45mm radius too. If you're starting with cheap materials without much work already in them it can be worth a few risks.

Thread: Polishing Acetal/Delrin and other plastics
01/11/2019 22:15:47

I've been machining black and white acetal for years and it's never occurred to me to polish it - I've always thought the machined surfaces looked fine. If the tool's sharp and nicely stoned on the edge, you can get a very attractive finish.

Edited By Mick B1 on 01/11/2019 22:16:16

Thread: Last Night's Astro Image
01/11/2019 16:10:21
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 27/09/2019 09:44:41:

Here’s an interesting one for consumers of Astro Images : **LINK**

https://news.sky.com/story/black-hole-swallowing-and-ripping-apart-star-captured-for-first-time-11820432

MichaelG.

Yes, interesting images - from a time when bony fish were just appearing on Earth...

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
01/11/2019 11:32:06

More scrollsaw birds - a paddling copper flamingo and a brontornis burmeisteri.

The actual latter bird was 2.8M tall and weighed maybe 400 kg. You wouldn't want to meet him on the Miocene Patagonian plains without at least your .375" H&H.

img_3519.jpg

img_3514.jpg

Sooner or later I'll get over this temporary obsession and do some proper engineering again...surprise

Edited By Mick B1 on 01/11/2019 11:33:50

Thread: Muncaster's Simple Entablature Engine
01/11/2019 10:54:19
Posted by john Chappell 1 on 28/10/2019 22:03:40:

It may be of interest to others how I made a poor mans "soft jaws." for machining the cylinder cover. I bored out 3 large nuts to fit over the chuck jaws and added grub screws to hold them on the jaws. In this case I tightened up jaws on the nuts and then bored out a recess slightly smaller than the OD of the cover.

Regards,

John

That's neat - even though I've got soft jaws I sometimes come across diameters I want to hold that don't fit my existing machining, and I know I'm unlikely to come across a similar diameter requirement anytime soon, and don't want to machine away what I've already got. This provides a workable solution for the 'one time' oddball job. Thanks.

Edited By Mick B1 on 01/11/2019 10:55:31

31/10/2019 10:43:44

The chuck guard was one of the first things I removed from my WM250V when I set it up. Another was to remove the circuit bridge from the rear geartrain cover and plugit in permanently so I could see the headstock gears running. Then there was the toolpost guard to take off.

That made the machine fit to use. I also don't usually stand in line with the chuck unless there's good reason.

Thread: Vickers Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon of 1917
29/10/2019 08:21:39
Posted by mal webber on 29/10/2019 00:04:26:

...roughed the centre up with the dremel to try and make it look a cast piece and more interesting .

That looks very effective indeed. How did you do it? I can't quite visualise. Hold the Dremel by hand with one of those small pointy grindstones in its chuck?

Edited By Mick B1 on 29/10/2019 08:22:22

Thread: What to do with a stationary engine
27/10/2019 22:36:32
Posted by martin perman on 26/10/2019 22:34:21:

I has one rather painful issue, boiling water splashing over your lower parts as you go along.

Martin P

You're not actually supposed to quite boil knackwurst. And the man didn't appear to have any sauerkraut to go with it.

Shocking.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne; London MES
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
cowbells
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest