By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mick B1

Here is a list of all the postings Mick B1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Buying metal - caveat emptor.
20/01/2020 14:45:00
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 20/01/2020 11:02:09:

Can't agree with Mick's suggestion the cause is 'inclusions of different steel types in a cheap gash melt', because it implies steel is made haphazardly in small quantities.

SOD:- Well, it was a long time ago, but I can remember prising out bits that looked a lot like broken gear teeth from a bit of what'd been held in RM stores as EN3B, that I was trying to turn. Describing the proper processing doesn't mean it always gets followed.

wink

Edited By Mick B1 on 20/01/2020 14:46:14

20/01/2020 09:24:00

As someone who spent a lot of my working life bughunting software, I can tell your mate Sherlock that 'eliminating the impossible' opens up a truly vast field of wasted effort in searching for a cause. You'll start by looking for the most impossible answer, and before long you'll've checked so many candidates that you'll never remember which one's next or whether it's sufficiently different to those you've already checked to justify another look. It's absolutely the worst possible way to investigate anything.

The two most likely reasons are:

i) work-hardening at the end of a bright-drawn bar

ii) inclusions of different steel types in a cheap gash melt.

Thread: Lathes as bling!
19/01/2020 12:57:34
Posted by Pete Rimmer on 19/01/2020 12:17:07:
Posted by Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 19/01/2020 11:58:17:

Perhaps the owners are getting on with their real business?

I have tools that haven't been used in years, and their cosmetic appearance shows that. But it doesn't affect their utility.

Indubitably they are doing something else but the damage on that lathe is not cosmetic.

As it sits, it's not a working machine. That machine's been brought in from being left outside and disregarded.

Rail preservation guys should know better. My dad ran a rail preservation workshop and the sight of that would have made him very sad knowing how difficult it was to get quality machines especially smaller ones like the HLV.

Not necessarily. I've seen machines sit for years in neglected condition in a railway shop, then be put back in service with any necessary (as distinct from cosmetic) restoration when a job comes up requiring them. Heritage railways have limits on their resource like anybody else. Volunteers can do quite a bit, but skilled labour working to deadlines comes at a price. This horizontal borer sat outside until a quartering job arose that could use it as a gauging fixture:

2017-07-19 hzl borer test jig for wheel quartering.jpg

Thread: Betelgeuse in Orion
18/01/2020 21:48:00
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 17/01/2020 22:07:18:

If it does go it could be as bright as the moon for an extended period, but no danger to life on Earth.

Neil

No risk of a gamma ray burst, then? Though I thought those were focussed in a cone not many degrees wide...

18/01/2020 20:58:20
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 18/01/2020 17:54:36:
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 18/01/2020 11:36:13:

The part played by the West in Chinese History is not taught in British Schools, and most Brits are blissfully ignorant of the immense trouble in China caused a hundred plus years ago by Western powers (including Japan).

You missed out the opium wars, which still aren't forgotten and are part of their mistrust of the UK.

Neil

I thought SOD was including that, along with the Boxer Rebellion and other imperial adventures. Sometimes I think we're lucky their revenge so far amounts to outselling our lethargic engineering manufacturers...

Thread: What to blacken steel with
18/01/2020 09:10:41

Gun-bluing paste G96 works for me on a warm and well-degreased surface. It's generally well-regarded as a quick and relatively simple home bluing or blacking solution. Last for decades at least. There's a Phillips lookalike that works pretty much the same. See the 24-pdr cannon in my album for evidence.

Edited By Mick B1 on 18/01/2020 09:11:59

17/01/2020 16:54:55
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 17/01/2020 15:35:42:
Posted by Ian Johnson 1 on 17/01/2020 14:23:32:

I don't know about blingy lathes but anybody can take photos with 10 grands worth of camera kit, and it's dead easy to take a very good photo these days with no effort at all, especially with digital photo manipulation.

There are some people who can reliably take better photos on a cellphone (or a box brownie) than some people can take with 10 grand of kit...

Same goes for lathes...

Neil

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 17/01/2020 15:36:28

'Zackly!

What comes out yer shed is one hundred times more important than whatcha gorrin there.

Thread: Driving Small Taps
16/01/2020 08:55:00

If I've had to reacquire the position setting between drilling and tapping, I've sometimes put the tapping drill in the chuck backwards, and felt for non-contact (or as near as I can get it!) insertion with tiny table movements and very gentle quill pressure. Then swap the drill for tap (or tap and pin vice) and rotate by hand gently.

Thread: The cultural status of engineers in the UK
12/01/2020 09:34:13
Posted by Robin Graham on 09/01/2020 23:11:01:

What struck me was that hero of the German film was the Chief Engineer who got the thing going again against all odds, whilst the hero in the British boats is usually the Captain. The strength of the British Captain is that by virtue of his cut glass accent, Oxbridge education and commanding manner he brings the crew together and they save the day, against all odds of course.

Robin

I suspect the film may well have been 'Das Boot' as I remember watching similar scenes when it was serailised on TV sometime shortly after the dinosaurs died out.

It's true that the Chief engineer was given a lot of the kudos due for recovering the boat's mobility, but nevertheless I thought the captain was held in much the same respect as the captain of a British sub would have been - and it was the captain who had to take on the task of bringing a dangerously-traumatised crewman back under control. That was clearly outside the scope of what the CE could've been expected to handle.

It's also true that all of the lauded engineers of our history - Brunel, Mitchell, Issigonis and very many others - have had a whole army of unsung enablers behind them who worked the devil out of the detail embedded in their often simplistically-expressed ideas.

The fact is that engineering arises out of a co-operation of a whole lot of different skills that varies with hte nature of the project and the conditions in which it proceeds. Few if any of us can expect to have them all. I think that mean-spiritedness in recognising the contribution of other skillsets to solutions - engineering, financial, political or anything else - is one of the true marks of a declining civilisation.

Thread: New legislation that could affect us all.
08/01/2020 16:11:46
Posted by Journeyman on 08/01/2020 15:08:25:

How then does this affect the industrial size roll with the axis of rotation at 90deg to the wallquestion

Ah, those have a special static charge on them that draws the free end back onto the roll so that the next user can't get hold...

08/01/2020 13:43:47
Posted by Bryan Cedar 1 on 08/01/2020 11:00:05:
Posted by Grindstone Cowboy on 08/01/2020 10:41:45:

ISO 100-R011 - at last, something to make people do it the correct way. Which is, of course, paper feeding downwards from the wall side.

Edited By Grindstone Cowboy on 08/01/2020 10:42:38

I disagree, always paper away from wall. It is easier to grasp it that way.

Absolutely. It also mitigates risk of transfer of bacteria present on the wall.

Thread: Stuck Chuck
06/01/2020 18:09:56

Maybe you need an even bigger, badder screwdriver with a shorter shank, or an adjustable spanner on a piece of steel flat ground to fit the slot over its full width or near ?

Thread: 4 Jaw Independent Chuck For The Sieg C0 Baby Lathe.
05/01/2020 11:07:35

I think you should maybe talk to ArcEuro before buying anything - they told me when I bought my Sieg C0 that (IIRC) either the Unimat 3 has a register diameter the Sieg C0 doesn't have or t'other way about, so caution and/or a modification might be needed if you buy a Unimat chuck.

Arc are advertising a 4-jaw for the C0 even though I think they've dropped the machine itself, and I've found their products and advice to be very good.

And we all know that sometimes things made cheaply are hugely better than expensively-made ones.

Edited By Mick B1 on 05/01/2020 11:08:41

Thread: Punching holes in metals
02/01/2020 15:10:48

1) There's a small backtaper on drills, so that the diameter's about 0,02 - 0,04 down by the time you get to the runout of the flutes.

How much that matters depends on what's got to fit the hole.

The HSS isn't at full hardness at that point, and how much that matters depends on how many holes you got to pierce and how thick the material is relative to diameter.

2) Traditionally piercing dies might be made from BD3 or equivalent. Case hardened MS would only work for very small quantities.

Silver steel might work well.

Edited By Mick B1 on 02/01/2020 15:19:45

Thread: Stanley Blade Lathe Finishing Tool
30/12/2019 16:33:11
Posted by John Reese on 29/12/2019 20:29:06:

I think carving the knight using the band saw has a lot more potential for injury than scraping with a knife blade.

Especially as it was shown at fast-forward speed so it was difficult to plot how the cuts were made. I think I'd try a dividing head with standard and - maybe - ballnosed cutters.

Thread: Removing superglue from an oak table
30/12/2019 16:28:54

... or make her buy the house a new table ?

(Good luck with that...) wink

Thread: Stanley Blade Lathe Finishing Tool
27/12/2019 10:35:52

I forgot to say I was disappointed to see that the metal chesspieces were only patterns for what turned out to be a pretty ordinary cast-resin set.

I've sometimes thought of making a metal chess set out of bronze and blued titanium, but don't have sufficient enthusiasm - or capability - for chess to carry it through.

Anyway, even if you had a gold-and-diamond chess set, would that make you a GrandMaster? Or would a real one still beat you using pieces scribbled on torn bits of card, on a board scratched in the dirt with a stick?

laugh

27/12/2019 09:42:07

The bit with the Stanley blade looked to me like a variant of skew-chisel woodturning, at least in similarity of edge-profile and presentation to the work surface - and the absence of a tool-handle would seem to exacerbate the risks of an already risk-prone technique.

Like Andrew, I can't really see how the user acquired the skill without serious injury to his fingers - but hey, the method of acquisition is often part of the mystery of such a skill...

surprisesmiley

Thread: Drunken Threads
22/12/2019 17:24:41

Was it the die or the holder that was wrong? One of my small handheld diestocks is definitely wrong, and I line up the die square by using the front faces of the tailstock Jacobs chuck jaws against the rear face of the die. I'm aware this may not be truly kosher, but it's good enough for all fastener threads I've had to do so far.

I have a cheap tailstock dieholder too, and no quibbles with that except that it can be time-consuming to set up and clean afterwards. It's best employed when there are several piece-parts with the same thread to be made.

Thread: Slight repair required
20/12/2019 12:50:39
Posted by Oldiron on 20/12/2019 12:04:03:

Mick B1. Maybe you missed this part of the thread devil

regards

Yeah, I must've been so traumatised with horror at the idea of any aircraft depending on the pictured component that I missed the tiny comment halfway down the thread...

crying

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Warco
Ausee.com.au
cowells
ChesterUK
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest