By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mick B1

Here is a list of all the postings Mick B1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Parting off query
17/05/2019 16:28:21
Posted by Ian S C on 17/05/2019 13:51:32:

The parting tool should be flat on the top for brass(bottom if going in reverse), and dead square across the end or it will pull to the leading point. An angled end seems ok in steel.

Ian S C

I think that's true and have noticed it more in softer materials, as you suggest.

Sometimes you ain't got much choice but to got for an angled end, such as when you're parting a component with a through hole, you don't want a parting-off 'collar' around it, and you'd have difficulty holding the component to remove it in a second op. Then you just gotta see if you can get everything else on your side.

16/05/2019 22:11:52

Minimise partoff tool protrusion. If it's a thin blade there's a lot of lateral elasticity that even slight out-of-squareness on the cutting face will cause deflection, so only have the length protruding you need to reach centre.

Make sure topslide backlash is taken up toward the chuck. Make sure the blade is parallel to its direction of travel.

Thread: Antique Steam Engine from Doorknob
16/05/2019 13:08:06

It's hard to understand. How does the valve gear work? Presumably it has to be in the cylindrical casing underneath the cylinder itself, but what operates it?.

Anything it powers would seem to have to run from the rimmed wheel driven from the toothed flywheel. From the large gear ratio the rimmed wheel must run much faster, and the conrod and crosshead guides are so thin that there can be little resistance.

I'm guessing steam comes up from the big onion vessel and is exhausted through the near-horizontal pipe?

So many questions...surprise

Thread: Ever have one of those days..?
15/05/2019 16:12:20
Posted by Samsaranda on 15/05/2019 10:18:53:

The secret of managing such days is realising early enough to stop before a major disaster and focus on another activity, well away from the workshop. I haven’t been able to crack this yet and only give up after having made a major faux pas.

Dave W

I know it's time to stop when I can't find something I put down half a minute ago... blush

Thread: Parkson M1250 Beast
15/05/2019 13:20:31

Switch on, press all the buttons and see what they do. Cut the power and run away if you smell burning.

Thread: TOOLING SURVEY
14/05/2019 11:47:45
Posted by Hopper on 14/05/2019 07:36:38:

Interesting. I've never thought of a parting blade as an insert. It is the whole tool, just mounts in a purpose built holder. HSS inserts to me means the pre-ground HSS inserts that were a bit commonish before carbide took over. Used to be more common on large milling side/face cutters than on lathe tools in places I worked at in the last century.

Well, it's something where you could replace the cutting element without removing the tool from the post or having to reset it afterwards - but I reckon it'd be sophistry to debate that at any length. I certainly wouldn't *prefer* to grind all parting tools from solid or butt-welded HSS, but I've got a selection of a dozen or so HSS tools that I've ground to cut forms and get in to various places at angles that suit me.

I don't think I've ever seen HSS milling inserts, even though I also did a few years' milling last century - nor turning 'tip' -style ones either; that's why I thought parting blades were the obvious example.

14/05/2019 06:51:02

I don't know if I missed the survey, but I'd now find it impossible to answer because which I use depends on tool purpose. *Mostly* I grind my own HSS, but I note that nobody's selected HSS inserts when I'm sure those HSS parting blade inserts (which I wouldn't want to be without) must be reasonably popular or they'd no longer be available.

So most people would have to accept that other types are also essential to their activity.

Thread: The Chocolate Fireguard as designed by Mercedes Benz
11/05/2019 15:31:47
Posted by pgk pgk on 11/05/2019 15:20:22:

So you think my coal-powered steam tank is worthwhile? A kickstarter project with Fizzy knocking up the boilers, Jason can make the rest over an average weekend and in the spirit of sexual equality we drape Neil over the bonnet in a skimpy mankini at the next arms conference?

pgk

Uncle Sam had a go at making one in 1918, but even then liquid-fuel firing was gaining ground.

**LINK**

11/05/2019 13:45:25
Posted by jimmy b on 11/05/2019 11:47:59:
Posted by Kiwi Bloke 1 on 11/05/2019 10:34:59:

I still don't understand where all the extra electricity is going to come from, nor how it will be distributed at the currents required for mass quick charging without rebuilding the entire grid.

I guess that people said the same about petrol, when cars started being sold!

Jim

It took 50 years for cars to reach mass volumes. Current discussions are proposing switchover to EVs in about half that, at a much bigger mass volume.

Thread: EMCO Compact 5
11/05/2019 10:39:58

Since you've also got the Myford Super 7 you mention in another post, if you intend to do any machining with either of them, the Myford is *probably* the more versatile and flexible to keep - assuming you can get it running and have the space.

There was a time when I had the Compact 5's smaller cousin, the Unimat 3. That was also a well-made machine, though tiny, and I wished I had the space and cash for a Compact 5. Now I have a Sieg C0, a Unimat 3 clone, for when I have a small turning job and don't want to disturb a setup in my main machine. I don't know that clones of the 5 were ever made, though it's a well-regarded machine for its size.

A couple have gone on the Bay this spring for prices of £302 and £330, though dealers would probably charge more.

Edited By Mick B1 on 11/05/2019 10:44:29

Thread: My ford Super7
11/05/2019 08:50:35

It looks to be in very good condition, though it's possible that it's been recently refurbished and the quality of that will depend on the skill and commitment of the refurbisher.

It has a quick change toolpost (QCTP) which allows pre-set cutting tools to be swapped quickly and repeatably.

From the holes in the stand, it looks as if an on/off or reversing switch has been removed, so its wiring appears to be incomplete. That'll need further investigation and I know very little about how to sort that - there are others on here with comprehensive knowledge on that.

10/05/2019 17:24:58
Posted by Nealeb on 10/05/2019 16:52:02:

My mind is wandering off down a dark and dangerous path...

"For £10K more, this model would hit the pedestrian. But not a queue of elderly pensioners waiting at a bus stop."

I can see a day when the back-street car remappers move from tweaking timing and injection parameters to tweaking moral decision circuits - at a price...

Plus, of course, the "pensioners bus queue" might actually be a unit of terrorist militia operating under false ID cover provided by other backstreet data wranglers...

The scope for paranoid fantasy in such a world is limitless.

10/05/2019 16:08:02

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 10/05/2019 12:56:42:

The moral choice is straightforward I think; it should apply the principle of least harm. If that means the control system killing the driver rather than ploughing through a line of school-children, so be it. Particularly appropriate when a drunk driver is speeding or texting...

Eh, hang on - that's an underhand conflation.

It's the AI in control, not the driver, so his condition or phone activities are irrelevant, and speeding would be impossible.

Thread: Form Tool Sharpening
10/05/2019 11:31:09

Once you're happy with the shape, finish and clearance angle of the curve, grind the top face to produce the edge. If you put a few degrees of side rake on it, it'll work well enough for most other common materials as well as brass.

Thread: Honing motor cycle small ends
10/05/2019 11:23:57

Last time I did this was in 1974, but I used a plain purchased 3/4" reamer with a lead-in taper of a few thou on it and ran it through by hand, and the little end was still OK when I sold the bike 30k miles later. It was a BSA A10.

3 thou is a helluva lot to take out with emery, and as well as the bell mouth you've the potential of embedded grit gnawing away at your gudgeon pin to worry about.

Even if the reamed hole ends up a thou out of line, I'd think that's a good deal less of a problem.

Thread: Oil, lubricating the lathe
10/05/2019 10:25:41

You can buy single-grade SAE20 easily enough, and that's what some manufacturers recommend. I bought a litre about 2 weeks ago, and reckon it'll last me maybe 3 - 5 years.

Thread: Chinese Lathes
10/05/2019 06:29:48
Posted by Hopper on 09/05/2019 23:43:25:
Posted by Jim Dobson 1 on 09/05/2019 23:35:00:

Lathes that produce baby lathes....now that's a thought smiley

Where did you think mini-lathes came from? China?

Yeah, yeah, but who's got time to wait for them to grow up?

09/05/2019 19:01:12

For most of the 1970s I worked on a broad range of lathes from smallish Boxfords to big Binns & Berrys, and owned a Unimat 3 and a Myford Speed 10 for decades each before buying my current Chinese lathe, Warco WM250V.

There are niggles - and I've never known a machine without any - but I'm very happy with its capabilities and they exceed the Speed 10's in every respect. OK, so it's a larger machine, but it's also relatively more rigid in a number of respects, particularly when working with the vertical slide. It's run in nicely so that it's smooth and quiet in operation, and I've never had any trace of electrical or electronic trouble with it. Any issues have been of my own making, and I've been able to fix all of them completely so far.

I find it a joy to use.

07/05/2019 17:48:24
Posted by not done it yet on 07/05/2019 15:09:11:

Ha ha ha!

There are EVs out there costing less than the "luxury tax" band and travelling nearer to 5 miles for each kWh used by the vehicle. Only supercars will use leccy at the rate quoted (by whoever knows nowt about them, above).

Yeah, there's a laugh. The Nissan Leaf does about 3.6 - and that's a manufacturer's figure, and we've learned over the last don't know how many years how seriously to take those for real-world driving.

Of course it's clear that things are going to have to change, but it's foolish to pretend it'll be easy fun. Look at the anger and intolerance over Brexit, and imagine what'll happen if people actually can't keep their homes warm, get to work or their food suppliers when they need to. Of course there are possible remedies and workarounds, but it'll take a level of political competence and co-operation we've not seen since the 40s to make sure they're fairly and promptly applied.

07/05/2019 13:28:20
Posted by FMES on 07/05/2019 12:13:17:
Posted by Doubletop on 07/05/2019 11:32:23:

Once everybody in the street is charging their vehicle when they get home the peak period will be at night and the daytime will be off peak.

As pgkpgk pointed out 35amps for an hour to do 21miles. lets say charge to do 100miles thats 44Kwh being drawn at night time, for one property. The cables will be glowing in the dark in the commuter belts

Edited By Doubletop on 07/05/2019 11:34:43

My point exactly!

And what if you have two vehicles?

As I said - no more cheap rate leccy!!

Like I said - we gotta rewire the country.

That'll cost a more than just replacing the whole vehicle inventory.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale May 19
ChesterUK
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest