By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mick B1

Here is a list of all the postings Mick B1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Schraeder valve threads
13/01/2021 15:53:05
Posted by Chris Evans 6 on 13/01/2021 14:14:04:

All the sizes are on the net. I get away with 5/16" x 32 tpi for the bigger ones when making motorcycle retaining nuts. The bespoke taps and dies are pricey for the odd nut.

Yep, that works fine to connect tyre inflators to run my stationary engines.

Thread: The Repair Shop is getting to me...
11/01/2021 14:50:41
Posted by KWIL on 11/01/2021 14:10:37:

As said above, you do not have to watch it.

double post - to be deleted if poss.

Edited By Mick B1 on 11/01/2021 14:51:19

11/01/2021 14:50:07
Posted by KWIL on 11/01/2021 14:10:37:

As said above, you do not have to watch it.

No, but we're entitled to comment on it if we don't like its overplay of emotion and underplay of technical detail.

11/01/2021 09:51:16
Posted by Tony Wright 1 on 10/01/2021 12:28:16:

If you don’t like don’t watch ! Simple.

Indeed. That's what's begun to happen. I used to watch it quite often, but now I only do if I know something that might interest me is coming up, and only then in the faint hope that I might get a clue as to how to do something I can't do at present. I'm not sure if that's happened yet, but one lives in hope... smiley

09/01/2021 16:35:53
Posted by Ian Johnson 1 on 09/01/2021 14:50:11:

The Repair Shop is a bit too 'twee' for me. And it's constant heart wrenching tear jerking sad stories of how long the rusty forgotten piece of junk has been in the family really annoys me! Maybe I need to find a bit more empathy?

Yes, way too much blubbing and not enough machining...

Thread: A finished project - at last!
05/01/2021 09:43:09

Outstanding work. Leaves me distressed with the quality of my own work... ! surprise

Thread: Bar size and dies
02/01/2021 13:33:06
Posted by Jan B on 02/01/2021 11:23:33:

I always reduce stock diameter by 1/10 of the pitch, and this is also what Dormer recommend, so reducing stock diam to 9.88mm is OK.

Jan

That's about what I do if I'm turning from a larger diameter prior to threading. If I'm starting from 10mm stock it'll usually be a gnat's undersize at about 9,95 anyway if it's drawn bar.

If I'm using a hand diestock, I'll push it against the work with the front face of the tailstock quill or the face of the drill chuck jaws if it's small; then rotate the main lathe chuck by hand, advancing the tailstock until the die's properly engaged. A bit of Rocol or suchlike thickish lubricant will usually help quite a lot.

Thread: Gloves and machine tools - my stupidity.
01/01/2021 15:45:59

I can very much take the OP's point.

I've always found gloves safer when handling bulky swarf or heavy, sharp-edged metal parts, but generally not rotating machinery.

Back in the 70s as an operator I gave myself a bad cut in the web of one thumb fettling the rolled thread on artic trailer jacking screws just off the copy lathe, and wore heavy gloves for that particular job from then on.

I can't really see that there's any simple rule - you have to exercise imagination to anticipate the risks, and adjust your behaviour and PPE to suit.

Thread: Milling on a mini lathe
30/12/2020 12:04:31
Posted by not done it yet on 29/12/2020 22:36:04:
Posted by Mick B1 on 29/12/2020 21:54:29:

I think 2/10 is a stingy score for a decent vertical swivel slide on a larger hobby lathe like the Warco WM250V I have.

I've been able to do everything I've needed to so far and its roughly 4" x 3" milling envelope has been enough to encompass the milling and precision drilling for models. Circumventing its limitations also encourages ingenuity, which is what engineering is supposed to be about.

I hope to find funds and space for a mill at some point - I worked a Bridgeport and a Varnamo for pay for much of the late '70s - but I'd give the vertical slide a fair 5/10.

Mick,

I do believe that SOD’s comments referred directly to his experience with a vertical slide on his mini-lathe. Do you consider your lathe a ‘mini-lathe’? Doesn’t seem like you were exactly a ‘beginner’ either.

Well, fair comment, but assuming a reasonable quality of vertical slide, the main difference would be reduction of effective envelope - depending on vertical and crossslide range of movement - plus judicious depth of cut. The Myford Speed 10 on which I did a Stuart Beam engine and a PM Research No.7 twin was scarcely bigger than some mini-lathes.

29/12/2020 21:54:29

I think 2/10 is a stingy score for a decent vertical swivel slide on a larger hobby lathe like the Warco WM250V I have.

I've been able to do everything I've needed to so far and its roughly 4" x 3" milling envelope has been enough to encompass the milling and precision drilling for models. Circumventing its limitations also encourages ingenuity, which is what engineering is supposed to be about.

I hope to find funds and space for a mill at some point - I worked a Bridgeport and a Varnamo for pay for much of the late '70s - but I'd give the vertical slide a fair 5/10.

Thread: Christmas Disasters!
25/12/2020 10:25:14

One of the grandkids' nursery teachers has tested positive. Christmas dinner was to be at son-and-DIL's house 4 miles from us. Now it'll be gift-exchange with masks and faceshields in the morning, then they deliver us dinner when it's done. We're debating whether to get tested ourselves.

Unsatisfactory and untidy, but we know of others potentially facing far worse.

Thread: engineering equipment/further reading
23/12/2020 13:37:26

I've always liked Chapman's 'Workshop Technology' - quite an old book now, but it deals with the basic techniques at whatever level you feel like going to.

Thread: Parting-off Tools for Small Lathe
17/12/2020 17:42:03

My own view is that parting under power is a bit of circus trick. You can get excellent feel for how fast you can advance the tool doing it by hand, and there are often conditions where it may be practical to vary the feed rate as you plunge in - especially going extra slow as you near the cutoff point in order to minimise the pip or ring. I can't see that you'd reliably save time with power feed in most situations outside a repetition shop.

16/12/2020 14:18:21
Posted by JasonB on 16/12/2020 10:54:00:

Not found an issue with the RDG one" nosediving" myself, worked OK doing the cooling fins on this bit of 40mm dia steel in a standard front toolpost.

Well, your photo seems to show a retaining cleat or suchlike at the rear end, stopping it from rising, but I can only see a small clamp at the front of the holder on James' link...

16/12/2020 10:18:42
Posted by James Alford on 16/12/2020 07:44:18:

This is the tool which I have, which was a present RDG Tiny Parting Off Tool. I am wondering about replacing it with one of these, depending upon which will fit Chronos Parting Tool or Another Chronos Parting Tool.

Regards,

James.

Oh Gor blimey, I never realised RDG sold anything like your 'tiny' one, with only that ickle clamp to stop it nosediving. The one I've used for ages, and have found adequate for most purposes in a lathe that would accommodate it, looks pretty much identical to your 'Chronos Parting Tool' - though I reckon I bought it from RDG.

I've never bothered with making RTPs, though I'd use 'em if I found 'em when I was working as a turner - but then I'm always reluctant to embark on tooling projects unless I have to.

Thread: Polishing Delrin
15/12/2020 21:34:03

I've found I could get an attractive shiny finish machining with a sharp tool and a very fine feed, even if only taking a few tenths depth of cut.

3 grinders.jpg

Edited By Mick B1 on 15/12/2020 21:38:07

Thread: Parting-off Tools for Small Lathe
14/12/2020 09:19:30
Posted by Martin Connelly on 14/12/2020 08:47:41:

If the holder is tipping the blade over then it is probably designed for a wedge shaped blade. Are you using a matched blade and holder?

Also if the blade is slipping it implies the blade does not match the holder or it is set too high and rubbing not cutting. As ndiy said parting is a regular topic and will pick out any little error in the process or tooling as it needs to be just about perfect in every aspect. How are you setting the cutting tip's height?

When everything is done correctly parting is not a problem and there is very little pressure pushing the blade backwards towards the operator.

Martin C

+1 for this. I've been using a 5/16" RDG blade holder tool for decades. The only time I had a persistent problem I found I'd inadvertently - maybe ignorantly - bought some parallel-flanked blades off the Bay. The top-to-bottom tapered ones generally work well.

Thread: Pea shooters illegal
12/12/2020 12:02:19
Posted by Martin Connelly on 12/12/2020 00:03:05:

Is a pea a hard pellet or dart? Where does it fall in the scale between diamond and talc? What is the definition of hard. This has clearly been written by someone who does not really know what hard is. When I was at school BIC pen tubes and rice were commonly used to get round the "no pea shooters in school" rules.

Martin C

Ah. When I was at school we found pearl barley - when you could get it - was ballistically superior to rice.

I foresee a qualifying kinetic energy clause akin to that for airguns. Some long blowpipes can reach 400 ft./sec with a hard clay ball - definitely capable of causing injury.

Thread: Christmas Cracker Jokes .. and similar
07/12/2020 11:42:21
Posted by David Colwill on 05/12/2020 15:39:59:

How does good king Wenceslaus like his pizza.....

Deep pan crisp and even.

You did ask!

David.

But while his lass was lookin' out, what was his lad up to?

Thread: Clearing spark plug thread
06/12/2020 23:04:46

Stick the new long reach plug in the lathe and turn away the thread that would foul the fouling. If the short reach plug had enough thread to avoid blowing out, so would the longreach with a shortened thread.

laugh

Ah, you sorted it already...wink

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest