By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Shaw 1

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Shaw 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: It would happen now!
14/04/2020 12:52:45

Clive

I'm with Grindstone Cowboy and Phil on this, fitted an Intergas HRE24 three years ago which I am very pleased with, the heat exchanger is a model of good design and will not suffer as a plate heat exchanger does especially in high water hardness areas. If you get it fitted by an Intergas registered engineer I think you can get a 10 year warranty.

Regards

Martin

Thread: Face mill prices
11/04/2020 11:23:38

I bought a 50mm R8 one from Cutwel last year, I think they were doing a deal, which has inserts with 8 cutting edges. I have in honesty only used it once but it did all I wanted. I can't now remember what I paid but it won't have been silly money. I would have bought from Arc but it was just before they started stocking them.

Regards

Martin

Thread: M-DRO Magnetic Tape / Linear Encoder
23/03/2020 17:24:17

Ken

Herewith some pics of my installation

img_0708.jpg

img_0711.jpg

img_0710.jpg

img_0709.jpg

For some reason this is 90deg out so mentally rotate it clockwise, it is the Z axis which in truth isn't too much use on a SX2.7 I find. The other thing is that because M-DRO sell this as a universal package the supplied brackets are all far too big so I had to homebrew mountings and you do end up with a length of magnetic track surplus however I had a good deal from them so the cost of individual parts was still greater than I paid.

Found another better pic of the X and Y arrangement. Any questions please ask.

Regards

Martin

img_0644.jpg

22/03/2020 11:26:16

Hi Ken

I installed an M-DRO magnetic DRO on my SX2.7 last year, if your interested I can put up some pics.

Regards

Martin

Thread: Emcomat 7
04/02/2020 11:37:05

Morning gentlemen.

Firstly thanks for all of the most helpful thoughts and suggestions. When this opportunity arose my thinking was that the Emco would likely be more rigid in the whole saddle/ toolpost arrangement which is something I feel lets the SC3 down, although if one is not in a rush and I most certainly am not, it's workable around. Secondly utilising a gearbox rather than a brushless motor it would not suffer from torque reduction at low spindle speed.

They are both solid enough reasons to consider it, however I took the chance to ring Tony Griffiths at Lathes.uk and ask his opinion. He pointed out the known possible problems, motor switchgear, fibre toothed gears and Mazak gear selector forks and also that the price was on the high side. He most importantly suggested personal inspection before committing. This is a problem, the lathe is in northern France and I'm in Scotland, and having purchased it I would need to move it the 6 or 700 miles at a cost. Additionally spares are difficult or impossible. With all these factors in play I have decided against it, the benefits are somewhat outweighed by difficulties and the nett gain might well be a significant loss.

At the risk of reopening the UK/European/Far East discussion the SC3 works, it's not perfect but it it will do most of what I want and likely need. Brushless motors in themselves are just one solution to the power requirement and not ideal but then neither is a single phase motor, and are for a hobby machine manufacturer probably the most cost effective.

A further thought, if Chinese made mini lathes weren't available what could you buy new around that size? Not much I think which would condemn most of us to do something else for a hobby.

Once again thanks for all the input, an interesting read.

Regards

Martin

Edited By Martin Shaw 1 on 04/02/2020 11:38:04

Edited By Martin Shaw 1 on 04/02/2020 12:00:11

Edited By Martin Shaw 1 on 04/02/2020 12:01:13

03/02/2020 10:23:51

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2nd hand Emco 7, that comes with 3 and 4 jaw chucks, quite a few Dickson style tool holders and I think other tooling as well for something like £700. An acquaintance of mine is selling on the contents of a late friends workshop and I am in no doubt about the provenance of the machine and am told that it is in full working order. This would replace the Sieg SC3 that I currently have which works well enough, so is this a sensible move forward do you think?

Regards

Martin

Thread: Metric Flat brass bar
21/01/2020 16:36:23

I think this might be difficult, all of my usual suppliers can do imperial without a problem, only one shows metric stock but not in the sizes you need. You could try John Hood who have outlets in Clydebank and Newcastle, they will do short lengths.

Regards

Martin

Edited By Martin Shaw 1 on 21/01/2020 16:36:45

Thread: Tapping drill size
31/10/2019 18:18:17

I thought a wee update might be in order. I am making a bigger version of the clamp shown front left, and the piece of steel which started out at 30mm by 20mm has been milled to suit and at the weekend I will access the power bandsaw at the railway to chop off 26mm wide bits allowing a finish to 25mm wide. I bought some blank T nuts, at £1 each it's just not worth making them, to which the drilling and tapping presented no problem at all, Sometimes I think the fear of cocking things up is a too powerful disincentive to progress, and even the power tapping was susprisingly undemanding. Anyway a good result.

Regards

Martin

img_0730.jpg

20/10/2019 10:35:41

Who knew threads could be so complex. I note from Harold Hall's tables that a 7.00mm drill gives a thread engagement of 65% which I think will be fine for this application and since I have that size I will use it. The thread is to receive a SS cap head screw which I will measure just in case they are seriously undersize, once again my thanks to all the contributors, I know a bit more now.

Regards

Martin

18/10/2019 14:24:48

Further interesting thoughts from posters today, for which I thank you. Since I've yet to order bits it seems 7.1mm might be a better choice, and whilst I have a full 0.1 increment set up to 6mm I'm reluctant to shell out for the 6.1 upwards set as most of it would remain in pristine condition.

Regards

Martin

17/10/2019 17:37:17

Many thanks chaps, the concensus appears to be 6.8mm so far be it from me to disagree. Tracy tools can supply reasonably inexpensively so I'll go there.

Martin

17/10/2019 12:51:20

I have a need to tap some M8 holes. From published information it seems the tapping drill can be anything from 6.8mm to 7.5mm. I appreciate the small drill will produce a tight thread and the large one a loose fit, so is approximately the mid point between the sizes the optimum, given that the application is some T nuts. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Regards

Martin

Thread: Tingling from Myford Super 7
12/10/2019 15:55:48

Just for the record, the earth loop impedance of a given supply, at the supply point (the meter) should be no greater than 0.8R for a TNS supply and no greater than 0.35R for a TNCS supply. It can be and often is lower, the princpal variant being the distance from the substation.

Brian G makes a very valid point, the house previous to my current one was built in 1922 and used the lead rising main as the earth electrode which was fine until the supply pipe was replaced by an MDPE one. It took 18 months to persuade the DNO to provide an earth which took 5 minutes to implement. It's certainly worth checking in an older property that there is an earth at all.

I would agree with Emgee that a separate supply to the workshop is sensible, not least because you not limiting the current availability to the rating of the circuit it is currently spurred from and as in this case a ground floor ring final might well have a washing machine, dishwasher, tumble dryer all potentially in use at the same time before considering the workshop needs. If it can be done easily I would.

Regards

Martin

Thread: Blued metal cleading
18/06/2019 18:27:22
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 18/06/2019 13:36:39:
I wonder if "cleading" is a regional dialect version of "cladding" that's somehow found its way around the country with the locomotives and crews?

I suppose it depends on whether you call old Scots a regional dialect or not, I'm in the not camp for self preservation reasons. Clead is an old Scots word meaning clothes/ clothing hence boiler cleading or boiler clothing. I feel cladding really only applies to sheet steel mounted in crinolines, no doubt there are many equally valid explanations.

Regards

Martin

Thread: How to price up and sell a super 7 lathe
12/06/2019 10:34:11

There's currently a chap in the wanted ads looking for a Myford on a stand, got to be worth a conversation.

Martin

Thread: Mini-Lathe setup for an absolute beginner?
21/05/2019 21:39:27

James

I'm near Glasgow and I have a Sieg SC3 supplied by Arc. If you can face the west your more than welcome to visit my workshop and have a look and play, and get my feedback. PM me if you want to take it further.

Kind regards

Martin

Thread: fly cutter or face mill
10/05/2019 21:40:33

Thanks Jason, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Regards

Martin

10/05/2019 19:50:33

Arc delivered to me a 2.5" flycutter and a pre ground HSS cutter, so thought I should try it out. Obviously never having used one before I didn't expect perfection however as you can see from the pic it is several hundred percent better than the first effort. I cut at 570rpm, a doc of 20 thou, and a fairly conservative feed rate, and whilst it's not glass and the tool marks are feelable it would suffice if surface finish wasn't critical, it isn't. I will do the other side at a slightly faster rpm to see whether that finesses the finish.The chips were definitely hot and tending towards blue, does this indicate the feed rate is still too high? A huge step forward nonetheless.

Regards

Martin

img_0693.jpg

09/05/2019 11:19:34

Firstly my thanks to David for his kind and generous offer, and to both Jason and Ron for the additional information. I have decided to order from Arc a fly cutter, I know in the spirit of things I should make it, however by the time I've trolled around gathering materials etc and time which does have a cost if not directly financial, I will have spent at least as much. Once I have received it and had a go I'll report success or otherwise.

Many thanks

Martin

Edited By Martin Shaw 1 on 09/05/2019 11:19:58

08/05/2019 19:53:15

Thanks guys, I think tomorrow I will try again with a new 4 flute cutter, up the revs and see if I can work out the feed rate that will give me the correct chip load. I'll let you all see the outcome. I think one of the learning curves beginners have is an acceptance that cutters are consumables and don't last for ever.

Regards

Martin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest