By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for NZreg

Here is a list of all the postings NZreg has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chinese tacho - beware
21/06/2019 00:02:03

Take a look at this **LINK**

I have used two of these, the first on my Optimum lathe, laterly have one fitted to my S7.

Paired with a VFD its something I would not want to be without.

The S7 reads the teeth on the Bull gear and gives consistent readout.

Reg

Thread: Quick change tool holders for Myford lathe
19/02/2019 00:40:22

Hi Mike,

I recently purchased a QCTP from Myfords and the toolholders came with the W or upside down M stamped on them so they may be what you are looking for.

Regards

Reg

Thread: Optical Centre Punch any good?
13/12/2018 21:37:40

+1 for Veritas, made by a Canadian company the lens magnifies the cross hairs 8 times making it very easy to put the centre in the correct place.

Thread: understanding lathe change gears
09/12/2018 09:09:15

Hi Mike,

I had the lathe you mention, in my opinion the low speed is too fast for screw cutting, from memory its around the 150 rpm mark.

I also found the electronic speed control was rubbish so bad in fact I replaced the motor and controller with a 3 phase vfd system.

I believe the non variable speed version of this lathe has a much lower bottom speed.

The other factor is that in NZ anyway there are no spares or accessories to be had for these lathes.

Sorry to put a damper on you but its better to know these things before you buy.

Thread: Tenacity 5 flux powder
29/11/2018 20:46:24

Many thanks for the info and advice, the ebay listing showed Maidstone Engineering as the supplier, problem solved.

Bill, thank you for your kind offer, nice to know that folk like yourself are still around.

28/11/2018 21:12:01

Wanting to replenish my supply of Tenacity 5 flux but don’t seem able to find it anywhere.

I must have missed something in the information chain, could anyone advise which flux has replaced the number 5.

Thanks in advance, home location New Zealand.

Thread: Boring head capacity
07/10/2018 09:48:40
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 07/10/2018 09:23:30:

Forgive me if this is hijacking the thread, but does Reg mean a Boring Head mounted in the tailstock like this?

dsc05357.jpg

If so, is a boring head in the tail-stock advantageous? When I bore in the lathe, I clamp the boring bar directly to the tool-post and move the tool with the saddle. The boring-head is only used on my milling machine. Entirely possible I'm missing a trick due to inexperience. Comments welcome!

Dave

Hi Dave, I had envisioned the head in the 2mt in the headstock, I don’t have a milling machine so have to use the lathe for all things.

07/10/2018 07:45:12

Hello,

Never having used a a boring head in the lathe I would like to understand the method for determining the maximum hole diameter that can be bored with either a 50mm or 75mm boring head.

Thank you

Reg

Thread: Myford super 7 chuck problems
28/09/2018 18:58:08

Spent time over the last week checking out the suggestions made.

The mandrel seemed to be ok, no discernable movement in the bearings and only a low run out with a Mitutoya dial indicator.

I removed the 5” chuck from its backplate and again obtained a good result on the face of the plate.

After following the good advice posted it seemed to me that the mandrel thread deformation must be causing at least some of the problem so I obtained a replacement mandrel from Myford (ouch) fitted same and rechecked.

This time the chuckbackplate showed runout but after taking a light skim it now runs much better.

The collet chuck which is a Myford one that screws directly onto the mandrel nose now runs spot on.

I can only think that in some way the deformed thread was tilting the chuck to give the poor runout figures.

The results are very pleasing. Thanks to those folk who helped me with this problem.

Reg

Thread: mini lathe chuck replacing.
27/09/2018 22:11:06

I used an ice cream stick with a small round magnet glued to the end, makes both putting the on and off easier.

Thread: Myford super 7 chuck problems
21/09/2018 02:36:43

Many thanks for the good advice re the spindle problem.

I am slowly working my way through the diagnostics and will report back any results found.

My feeling at this point is that the thread is the culprit as the form seems to be misshapen.

For those who suggested I obtain a tap and use it on the items that would not screw on I failed to mention that I purchased a tap along with the die however i did not use it as it occurred to me that the 5" chuck and the collet chuck were both brand new yet behaving in exactly the same manner i.e. gross run out even close to the jaws. Time will tell.

Thank you all again for the helpful suggestions.

Reg

Edited By NZreg on 21/09/2018 02:37:04

20/09/2018 02:40:48

Hello,

My recently aquired S7 had spindle thread problems when I first aquired it.

The 3 jaw and 4 jaw chucks fitted but I was unable to fully screw on the faceplate, collet chuck and driver plate.

I purchased a die from Chronos and ran this over the thread which then enabled me to screw on the mentioned items.

Problem is now that of the three chucks I have 1 Burnerd 6”4 jaw, 1TOS  5” 3 jaw and 1TOS 4” 3 jaw the two 3 jaw chucks hold round stock that measures .2 mm eccentricity at around 75mm from the chuck. The measurement nearer the jaws is only slightly better.

The collet chuck shows exactly the same eccentricity.

A test bar mounted in the internal morse taper gives a reading at the very end of the bar of .05mm by my reckoning about 2 thou. This would indicate to me that the mandrel is not bent. Measurement of the land show around the same eccentricity

I am aware that all threads must be very clean, no dirt swarf etc.

There are no detectable dings or marks on either the thread or land.

Is it possible that thread distotion could cause this issue.

I welcome any constructive ideas.

The lathe had supposedly been restored to new condition but considering the work I have had to do on the lathe makes me sure it was not much more than a nice paint job, stiil I am generally pleased with my purchase but would like to solve this problem, even if it means a new mandrel

Thanks in anticipation

Reg

Edited By NZreg on 20/09/2018 02:42:14

Thread: Myford Dickson Toolpost
03/08/2018 04:23:16

Hello,

I am thinking of buying a Dickson type toolpost for my S7 and, after reading some of the horror stories of the ones sold by other companies wonder if the one sold by Myford is of good quality or are there any known issues.

Other recomendations welcomed.

Reg

Thread: Ball Turning attachment for a Cowells?
01/08/2018 22:45:17

You might consider a Turnado from Eccentric Engineering, see advert to the right of this page

Thread: Hemingway kit HK1170/HK1171
27/07/2018 10:16:45

Thank you for your replies, I had never come across anything like them before, just goes to show no matter how old you are there is always something new.blush

26/07/2018 00:01:41

Hello,

Wondered if anyone has experience of this kit?

**LINK**

Looks to be a usefull addition.

Thanks

Thread: Hello from Christchurch
13/07/2018 01:06:31

Thanks for the welcome.

I have followed the forum for some time so thought I should join and enjoy the full benefits of the collective knowledge of you good folk.

Ian SC, I used to live in Greendale (the old blacksmiths shop) many years ago.

What scale is your Allchin? Looks good.

12/07/2018 09:21:03

Another Kiwi reporting in.

Interested in anything steam.

Currently setting up a recently aquired Myford Super 7 with vfd and dro.

Then back onto the Allchin.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
emcomachinetools
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest