By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Pete Rimmer

Here is a list of all the postings Pete Rimmer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New member & new workshop - Meddings drill fire nearly burnt it down
10/05/2020 21:01:58

Ah yes, different machine entirely. Mine has a 2-speed gearbox and 5 groove pulley for ten gears.

Thread: Colchester Student 6" Lathe
10/05/2020 20:25:28

Hi Chris,

Sad times aren't they? Sorry about losing your friend.

As for the lathe - I doubt you'll find it difficult to get rid of. Colchester lathes are very popular. The value depends on condition and accessories. If it has a number of good chucks and/or steadies they alone can be quite valuable. Beware of people who want to 'come and look' then try to cherry-pick those high-value parts leaving you with the hard to shift lathe itself. Even some small tools can have significant value which might not be apparent to the uninitiated.

If you want appraisal advice, put some pics up. This site has a classified section and there are several other good ones.

10/05/2020 20:07:53

There's no pulley on the spindle, but the gearbox input pulley which is what I think you mean pulley is 9/16" bore.

Andrew I have your details if you'd like to delete them. I'll send you an email.

Pete.

10/05/2020 17:27:29

If you pay the postage you can have them for £20. I'll bore the motor pulley to 19mm for you.

Thread: Crime rate
10/05/2020 16:54:19

Burglary rates are up actually. a guy on another forum had his shed broken into and they said they were getting 10x the usual number of that type of call.

As for speeding, I saw three speed traps in a single day the week before last - in one 24 mile journey. Whether it's because cops couldn't car-share or because the roads were deathly quiet and it was encouraging people to drive faster I don't know but they were out there with the speed guns. Only saw one the whole of last week though.

No parking fines in the City of London right now - no traffic wardens to issue them. I guess that will change pretty soon now.

10/05/2020 14:10:21

There's no exact requirement for drill speed, just ball-park figures. A little change in ratio would not hurt.

My pulley set gives the speeds shown on the tag.

Neither are in terrific condition so you could have the pair pretty cheap with the belt. The motor pulley for sure needs boring out. That said, the advice of sleeving and re-boring your original is valid. Loctite a sleeve into it, bore back out to 19mm then cut a key it will last for years.

Edited By Pete Rimmer on 10/05/2020 14:11:59

09/05/2020 22:50:43

Simon yes I have a very nice quill. Also have a reasonably good spindle which has a slightly scruffy taper that nevertheless holds tapers well. I was giving consideration to sourcing a MT2 reamer to clean it up. You could send me a PM to save de-railing Andrew's thread.

09/05/2020 22:27:40
Posted by Andrew Schofield 2 on 07/05/2020 20:45:52:

The old motor shaft was 5/8" my new motor is 19mm dia.

Pete can you tell me what height is your pulley and how many pulleys as I need the drive belt to line up with the chuck spindle pulley.

Andrew it's a 5-way pulley 63mm tall. I could bore it to 19mm for you. it needs boring anyway as the bore is slightly bell-mouthed from previous poor fitting. I also have the spindle pulley.

Thread: Inverter failure guidance
09/05/2020 00:05:45
Posted by Gavlar on 08/05/2020 21:42:50:

Looks like your motor is rated 1380 rpm at 50Hz. The motor is designed for 50hz. Pushing it to100hz will mean it runs at double it's design speed. Who knows how long it will last?

A lot of dual voltage motors are 50 or 60Hz so they can be used in the US and the UK, so pushing them to 60 or 65 hz won't do any harm, but personally I wouldn't run them much higher.

Edited By Gavlar on 08/05/2020 21:53:56

Mechanically there should be no problem. Many motors come in 2-pole and 4-pole variants, the 2-pole running double the speed of a 4-pole.

Thread: taper roller headstock adjustment
08/05/2020 17:51:00

I have found before on lathes with taper bearings that the inner part can be so tight on the spindle that it makes sensitive adjustment impossible. The sticktion is so much that it only moves with a pronounced 'crack' which invariably results in the user either thinking the bearing is already pulled up tight when the required pre-load has not been reached or it becomes over-adjusted due to how tight the nuts have to be to make it move.

Discounting all other checks I would pull the spindle, you'll soon know if this is the problem as it will creak loudly as you extract the spindle. If the bearing is very tight I would make an OD lap to ease the fit slightly.

Thread: Use of Torx Bits in Hex Skt Hd Screws
08/05/2020 12:26:19

Anyone who works regularly on Japanese motorbikes more than a few years old knows that if you round off a socket head because of ill fitting/corrosion/poor quality fastener or reduced engagement due to road filth or corrosion, beating a torx bit into the hex will almost always get you out of lumber. The combination of hammering to break the bond and the firm fitting of the torx will often cause the thread to release (or the tool to break) before it will cam out or round off.

Thread: Motor Reverse
06/05/2020 20:50:01

How is the sanding disc fitted? If it's screwed on it could come undone if sanding on it in reverse.

06/05/2020 20:47:04

I have a Meddings motor pulley but it's 153mm diameter at the big end and 40mm at the small end. It's from a Pacera MF4 drill.

What size shaft on your motor?

Thread: Trouble with my Sabel
04/05/2020 18:11:20

Cross slide wear seems to be endemic to the S&B Sabel. I would be willing to bet that if the slide was worn badly enough to have to change it then the saddle ways are going to equally as worn. You probably have a hump in the middle of the ways.

Thread: Eagle Surface grinder - who here uses one?
04/05/2020 17:59:43

Steamer: It seemed like the appropriate place to keep the de-mag. saves me having to go and fetch it off the shelf.

Jeff: I was torn between Buying standard or super-precision bearings . In the end I bought 7206B angular contacts but instead of loose ones I bought a 3-piece set of matched same-direction pre-load bearings and used two of them back to back. I figured that since they were matched to be loaded through each other they must have a far better than average inherent pre-load clearance. The new size meant that I had to make a 30thou sleeve for the OD and another sleeve for the spindle. Here is the bearing pair fitted in the sleeve.

Its doubtless that super-precision spindle bearings would give a better result but at a couple of hundred quid versus less than £30 for a 3-bearing set of abec5 from ebay I doubt they would be 8 times better. Certainly the resultant finish is adequate for me needs.

Dave: Looks are deceptive. The machine stood under a tarpaulin for 10 years so all the rot was external. I was very fortunate that the way covers although very grubby were intact and so the ways had only minimal surface rust. It was still a couple of hundred hours work though I would guess. Every sliding surface has been scraped and that's quite a lot of work.

As for the weight? I would guess at 150kg or thereabouts though I haven't weighed it. If I get a change I shall.

Pete.

Edited By Pete Rimmer on 04/05/2020 18:03:03

Thread: J&S 540
03/05/2020 18:33:18

Was the arbor previously fitted? There are a couple of different sized tapers. I think that all of the 540 ones are the same but the 13xx grinder arbors have a different sized taper.

Thread: Eagle Surface grinder - who here uses one?
03/05/2020 08:19:27

Thanks Steve and Jeff

Jeff the spindle itself was fine, they are hardened. The bearings were shot though and the only exact-size angular contacts I could find were wheel bearings for old British cars so I turned a couple of sleeves and fitted modern metric angular contacts. The floating bearing on the rear was a standard 1"x2.5"x0.75" ball bearing and I did find replacements for that. The spindle also had a through-hole near the front so I made a spring-loaded plunger to act as a spindle lock for putting a spanner on the wheel nut.

02/05/2020 23:50:17

Quick follow-up here. I found that regular slideway oil wouldn't flow properly along the delivery channel to feed the ways. I put some in both ends of the table and although some made it along, most was still sitting in the feed channel weeks later. So I've taken to using 10 weight oil (the equivalent of the specified Magna ZA) and it keeps the slideways nicely oiled.

Anyway, I finished rebuilding it this weekend so here's a couple of before and after pics. A lot of work went into this machine - not just a clean and paint. All of the ways are scraped, new poly vee belt with new pulleys made. New metric spindle bearings and of course a good clean and paint.

Before, part-stripped for transport:

And now in it's finished state:

Thread: Dead centre vs. live centre
02/05/2020 11:33:12

A live centre turns with the spindle, a dead centre does not. A revolving centre is neither live nor dead in the traditional sense but in recent times the commonly-used definition seems to have changed to make revolving centres 'live' and solid ones 'dead'.

Anyway, the advantage of a dead centre in the tailstock is that it allows for a slightly longer workpiece if you're approaching your limit in bed length, and will hold the work more concentric all but the best quality revolving centres. Disadvantage is that it must be lubed and you're limited to about 300rpm then you risk burning up the tip. Carbide-tipped ones will suffer a bit more abuse without destroying the tip.

Thread: Warco WM16 Gib strips
02/05/2020 07:47:39

Be warned that if you hit the end of the gib use a block of aluminium. Even the slightest ding or burr on the gib will render it useless for proper adjustment.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest