By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Pete Rimmer

Here is a list of all the postings Pete Rimmer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Precision ground flat stones in UK?
28/02/2022 12:36:47

A truly flat stone is very easy on flat surfaces and tends to only take off high spots anyway. It's the non-flat ones you need to take care with. Lubrication is key if you want to aoid clogging or gouging the stone.

For raised dings you could make a burr file as I was advised to yers ago and it worked. Take a reasonably fine file and rub a stone on the face. Now it will slide over a flat face but cut raised sections down to the face. You might heat and bend the ends up to get good purchase on it when pushing it along a the face but I never did when I made mine.

28/02/2022 12:11:37

I make them from time to time. Takes a few minutes to grind a normal stone flat on a surface grinder I don't know why they should cost so much extra. I saw some report of high cost due to the wear rate o the CBN wheel but I've gorund perhaps 12 or more and my wheel is still going strong. For sure it does wear the wheel because you can see the material in the grinding dust on the guard but it hasn't been as drastic as folk were making out.

Thread: How useful is high 5000rpm spindle speed in a mill
27/02/2022 15:01:07

Well done is all I can say. Fair play to you for just going ahead with it Jack.

Thread: Early Deckel horizontal mill FP0
25/02/2022 17:04:03

It's a worthy project send me the dims and I'll turn one for you.

24/02/2022 17:20:26

I would turn a nose piece to screw onto that square thread and seat against the shoulder then mill the driving flats into it and bore it out so the collet passes through. The collet would then pull the arbor into the taper for good concentricity but the driving would all be done by the driving flats.

Edited By Pete Rimmer on 24/02/2022 17:20:53

Thread: How useful is high 5000rpm spindle speed in a mill
23/02/2022 18:50:24

You can't cut the scales down with an angle grinder they ar made of glass inside.

Thread: What VFD should I get
23/02/2022 18:13:24
Posted by malcolm hollins on 23/02/2022 17:15:31:

Having read up on VFD on the internet I know that I would need to remove the capacitators from the single phase motor in order for the 3 phase output from the VFD to run the motor. I was thinking if the motor was then not able to run the mill O.K. I could replace it with a 3 phase motor.

Some of the VFD I have seen on the internet reckon they will give the spindle speed.

It will give you the motor spindle speed.

Thread: How to make this?
22/02/2022 15:47:00

I don't use a tail for my buffing wheel. I just have a straight shank arbor that passes through the hole in the mop with a large washer either side. It runs nicely and doesn't vibrate as much as when I used the tail.

If you're only planning to use one mop most of the time it's an easy option.

Thread: Inverter interference
21/02/2022 22:59:46

Yep, VFD input filter commonly available and not even that expensive. It's wired between the supply and the inverter drive.

Thread: Resin blocks drain
21/02/2022 18:01:17

You're not going to shift cured resin any way except mechanically I expect. What type of drain is it? If it's a gulley pot which was already half full of crud then they might have a chance but if it has no kind of trap they'll probably ebd up replacing it, which means they possibly won't even come back.

Thread: Always confused over threads and tapping
20/02/2022 09:59:12

I don't kow why anyone would even mention ANC since it's just an early designation for what has been called UNC for many years and is just going to confuse people..

Given that the hole size is actually in the email the best policy would be to drill that size hole. 3.8mm and 5.1mm would be perfectly adequate.

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
18/02/2022 16:50:26

Hi Windy, my fastest official speed was 215.7mph but that was on the first turbo system good for 300hp although when I did the speed mentioned it was at 230hp. The second system I built with a charge cooler and much larger turbo and the one it's fitted with now is currently running at about 320hp I believe but it's good for around 500 which should on a good day push it past 250mph.

I have thought about buying the bike again before now and I'd be interested in hearing a price. If you have an idea what the asking price is, and how it's changed from when I sold it, let me know by PM please.

Thread: Boxford AUD Chuck Quandary
16/02/2022 20:08:27

Simon if you post your location you might be able to get some local help. As a matter of fact I have several sets of spare jaws of different dimensions if you measure the slot width and the tooth pitch (the distance between one edge of a tooth and the same edge of the next tooth) I'll have a look if I have your inside jaws. Looking at the chuck it's likely to be 1/4" pitch so you'll have exactly 1" across 4 teeth.

Thread: workshop floor - strength question
14/02/2022 23:50:53

Gerry, concrete is poured on top of polystyrene all the time. It's a very common building practice precisly because it provides so much support along with excellent insulation.

They even put it down and then just put a couple of inches of tarmac (which is soft and bendy) onto it to make car parks, as there poor sods found out.

**LINK**

14/02/2022 22:34:14

I've removed a road bridge using a 5 ton demolition machine sitting on 1 metre of polystyrene topped with two layers of plywood, all sitting on railway lines. No kittens were killed.

Timber absolutely does distribute a point load over a wider area, if it didn't they wouldn't use it for crane mats.

Thread: missing parcel
14/02/2022 18:07:14

Signed for isn't a requirement but online trackable is if you want to avoid the auto-refund trap.

Did you use one of eBays trackable options? If you did, you might be alright but the chances are that the buyer has the item but knows that all he has to do is open a case and he will be refunded automatically.

Edited By Pete Rimmer on 14/02/2022 18:07:36

Thread: Four Index Thread Indicator
06/02/2022 20:27:44

In the article it's mentioned that the system works for integer pitch metric threads. What does one do when cuttiing non-integer threads which, let's face it, would be the more common?

05/02/2022 22:32:03

It CAN be done but you still have to stop the motor and reverse it. The advantage is that you can stop at a shoulder by disengaging the half-nut. Then you reverse the motor, traverse the table back to your start, switch the motor back to forwards and pick up the same index on the threading dial on the same turn. It's no quicker than simply reversing the motor with the half-nuts closed.

05/02/2022 20:37:20

That Ceriani has a metric leadscrew. You can tell because in the comments he mentions two different gears for the dial according to what pitch he is cutting. You cannot do it with a non-metric screw it just isn't possible without either reversing or using a single tooth dog clutch. Or using ELS.

Thread: Motor protection
02/02/2022 21:17:33

HP = KW x 1.341 so a 500w motor is equivalent to about 0.67hp

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest