By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Pete Rimmer

Here is a list of all the postings Pete Rimmer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Worn nut ACME 10 TPI Thread by 0.500 in.
07/12/2020 21:53:53

You don't have to move anyhting Howard. Just look at the male thread. The handing isn't affected by which part turns.

07/12/2020 18:33:04

Look at the screw. If it was laid flat and the threads were angled like a row of keyboard back-slashes thus \\\\\\\\, it's a right hand thread. If they look like a row of forward-slashes //////// it's a left hand thread.

Edited By Pete Rimmer on 07/12/2020 18:33:53

Thread: Stand in wheel dressing tool
07/12/2020 17:49:04
Posted by Martin Connelly on 07/12/2020 12:56:27:

I needed to grind a piece of HSS today and as I started my grinding wheel started to clog up. I stopped the grinder and found a wide streak of metal firmly embedded on the surface. I think I have ground something that had zinc plating or similar on it without realising. No problem, just get the mounted point diamond dresser and give it a quick skim. Half an hour later still hadn't found the dressing tool (it is a rarely used thing as I use inserts most of the time and have a CBN wheel for HSS touching up purposes).

In the process of searching for it I came across an old segmented diamond edged stone cutting disc that stopped working when the edge wore down. Since the sides still had some diamonds embedded I thought I'd give it a try. Laying it flat on the rest and sliding it across the wheel gave me a beautifully fresh and open face on the wheel with no sign of embedded metal. I will have to cut a segment out to make a more sensible tool now.

Martin C

They work wonderfully don't they. I've made several of those, often end up giving them away. I have a ready supply of broken/thrown segments from work but the little 4" discs are so cheap if you bought one it would last an a lifetime of dressing in the home shop.

Thread: Is this Gold?
07/12/2020 17:35:24

Isn't a Tam O' Shanter a Scotsman's bobble-topped cap.

Can't see the need for sharpening one of those :D

Thread: How does this rotary table bolt down?
06/12/2020 13:28:45

I'd knock up a small toe clamp to fix that down. Saves messing about trying to find just the right length bolt and fiddling with a thin nut in the slot.

Thread: Workshop temperature - cold
29/11/2020 16:18:31

The temperature is pretty stable in my workshop so I have a 2kw infra-red heater on the ceiling that I use for 20 mins to warm it up a bit then my own body heat is usually enough. Whilst I'm waiting for the heater to do it's stuff I might run the twin-motor shop vac around the floor and chip trays which is also a pretty good heater plus it pushes the air about.

Thread: Myford Lathe Identification
29/11/2020 15:25:59
Posted by Angela Smith 10 on 29/11/2020 10:47:04:

Hi, I'm trying to help my Mum sell my Dad's old Myford Lathe but have been struggling to identify it. The number Mum has written down from the Lathe which I presume is the model number is VSB544SR3B175BG. Please can someone help me to identify it? Sorry I've tried to add a picture, but couldn't get it to upload. Any help would be most appreciated, thank you.

Angela,

As people have said it's a Myford ML7. It looks to be a nicely kept example on the cabinet so should attract the higher end of the price range for it's age and type. It's an older model so it's value does depend on the condition and the number of accessories that come with it. There seems to be some items in the cabinet and depending on what they are could add significantly to it's worth.

If you could take better photos, perhaps close the curtains and use flash or supplement the lighting. Get a good photo of what's inside the cabinet or even perhaps spread it about on the mat and take a photo of it all there. That would help you get a decent appraisal and perhaps a good idea on price. Definitely don't use that photo for a sale advert if you hope to attract decent offers - it just doesn't show enough detail to tempt people.

All the best

Pete.

Thread: Viceroy 280 VS Inverter
26/11/2020 22:00:56

Your e-stop and safety switches can be wired together in series and used to make the RUN enable connection on the VFD.

The suds pump will almost certainly be happy to run on single phase with just a capacitor on the spare leg.

The tacho is probably single phase already, but only investigation will find that out.

Thread: What am I?
24/11/2020 23:33:38

You are what you think you are Jon.

Your small-minded colleague sounds like a person with no imagination and precious little charm.

Thread: Help with lathe speed
21/11/2020 06:06:08
Posted by Neil Mccarthy 1 on 21/11/2020 00:13:56:

I am in the middle of restoring my Drummond b lathe and I was wondering if you can have a speed controller on a 240volt single phase ac motor at all as I use to use a cj18a mini lathe and you could control the speed on that one

thank you in advance

Your Drummond's motor's speed is fixed by the 50Hz frequency of mains electricity. Whilst it is possible, it's not practical to alter the way you can with a 3-phase motor.

Your mini-lathe will have a DC motor which is why you can use a speed controller.

Thread: How to Adjust Old Breaker
19/11/2020 23:33:00

I didn't know about them being able to detect a lost phase but they will certainly trip the bar if any one of the heaters cooks the strip too much. It might have inadvertently been 'adjusted' during the re-wire. If it worked before it should work again, I would inspect it to see if any of the components got bent slightly from working in the cramped enclosure.

Thread: Eagle Surface Grinder - weight of parts
19/11/2020 23:02:07

I did say it was a guess - mustn't know my own strength :D

Good to have a figure put against it, as you say it will be handy for future enquiring minds.

Thread: How to Adjust Old Breaker
19/11/2020 21:13:21

I see conductors for a single phase motor. The original was probably 3 phase and therefore drawing far less current..

You might find that the switch doesn't have the adjustment capacity for the extra current draw. To get around this you could remove the neutral line from the contactor and split the live phase between two of them to share the load and if it still tripped you could share between all three. If you have the room to fit one, you could even fit a modern overload and remove the heating coils altogether to turn the overload switch into just a switch.

Thread: Whitworth v UNC
17/11/2020 18:53:34

The two threads have different flank angles. 55 degrees vs 60 degrees. They also have different profiles, Whitworth having rounded crests.

Thread: Chipmaster variator
17/11/2020 06:33:02

It may just need adjusting. If you can adjust the play out and it quietens it down you can fill it with new oil and you should be good for years to come.

16/11/2020 18:42:22

Some literature here in post #7:

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/how-do-you-open-a-kopp-allspeeds-variator.55125/

Edited By Pete Rimmer on 16/11/2020 18:42:37

Thread: Caterham tacho - possible use to show RPM
15/11/2020 15:55:56

If it says 4 cyl on it then it's probably an electronic one triggered by the coil low tension side or even an inductive pickup. When you buy after-market ones they usually have a selector switch to set the number of cylinders so that it reads true, because different number of cylinders usually means different number of pulses per rpm.

Thread: Planing machine
14/11/2020 16:43:58

There is (or was) a working planer at the Lillie Road Depot near Earls Court. I was doing some construction-related work there about 4 years ago and I was watching a rastafarian guy planing railway points blades on it just through the open door.

Thread: Anyone have any idea what these are
13/11/2020 06:30:06

Yes that's right Bill. The outer ring with the holes in it doesn't turn. I countersunk a painted item without marking it but you have to watch out that the swarf doesn't scuff the paint.

12/11/2020 20:14:55

Positive stop countersinks. I have a couple, one with multiple cutting bits the other a fixed one for aircraft rivets.

You pull the sliding collar back and turn that collar to adjust the stopping depth.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
cowells
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest