By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Pete Rimmer

Here is a list of all the postings Pete Rimmer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bantam thread cutting set-up?
09/08/2020 22:24:42

You say it's an Eagle that makes it a Metric machine. You use the compound for inch thread, but use the 127 as an idler for metric I believe.

Thread: First lathe
09/08/2020 12:42:24

Some people will always resist technological advances. For me, anything that improves ease of use and reduces risk of error is a good thing.

09/08/2020 11:13:55

Fitting a DRO will transform your use of a lathe. I don't know what type you'll get as a £200 accessory but my £300 one has made a world of difference to how I go about working on mine. It will even measure existing tapers very accurately.

Thread: Myford Mod
07/08/2020 06:05:13

It mirrors the lever on the Hardinge HLV-H so I tend to agree with Keith.

Thread: Cast Iron Grade 500-14
06/08/2020 23:33:59

500 grade SG iron shouldn't be a problem to machine. This is 600 grade and it came out beautifully.

Thread: What lathe tool for deburring holes?
01/08/2020 19:15:27

I use a broken 6mm carbide end mill shank. I ground a 90-degree point on it then ground it flat across the diameter. Put a tiny radius on it and set it into a piece of cold rolled with a grub screw to hold it.

It does inside bevels, outside bevels and it'll take light facing cuts.

Thread: Higher trolley for surface plate?
29/07/2020 06:35:03

Well I keep my granite plates standing on their edge, and I have the means and ability to check them when sat on their 3 feet. So far none have taken a set from being handled or leaned.

I think we need to get some perspective here. The portable plates we tend to use are shipped in a timber crate by regular courier. They aren't going to take a set from vertical storage.

28/07/2020 22:16:42

Actually Robert, I was referring to this

Posted by Howard Lewis on 28/07/2020 21:15:43:

The important thing with any surface plate is that it unstressed. If it is stressed it is unlikely to be flat, and therefore pretty useless as a reference surface. Consequently, I would advise most strongly against storing vertically and pulling down for use.

and I would contend that a portable surface plate sitting on edge is less likely to be affected by gravity than one sat flat on it's feet. I also don't believe that bringing one from upright to flat or that any other normal handling could possibly affect it's geometry (unless you dropped it). I carried mine to a scraping and alignment class on the seat of my van where it was checked with an autocollimator and found to be in good fettle.

I couldn't comment on how the one left leaning against a wall ended up bent, but I'd expect that a 4' x 6' x 6" plate would require good support and adjustment when mounted horizontally in order that it wouldn't bend under it's own weight. My 18" x 24" surface plate is 4" thick giving a 1:6 thickness to length ratio. The plate mentioned would have a 1:12 thickness to length ratio so much more bendy - twice as likely to bend as one which is small enough to man-handle onto it's edge.

28/07/2020 21:29:41

I'd like to hear the reasoning as to why a symmetrical shaped piece of granite stood on one flat edge should be any more prone to warping that one stored flat.

28/07/2020 20:59:02
Posted by duncan webster on 27/07/2020 21:33:20:

How about just standing it against the wall at the back of your bench (assuming there is one) with a substantial catch to stop it falling down. Something like a bar counter. With a bit of thought you could make it so that after you've lowered it down you can slide it forward to the front of the bench

This is what I do. It uses very little space and is easy to deploy into use. Mine just sits there on it's long edge face against the wall.

Thread: How Best to Sell a Clarkson Cutter Grinder & Accessories?
25/07/2020 07:35:31

For the best return you could list each part separately on eBay. The late clarksons are well sought after and the accessories make very good money. Most of the tool dealers sell the machine bare and the accessories separately because of the money they make.

If you're keen that it should all go in one package and want some valuation advice post the photos in your album here and see what people say. Expect to get a raft of personal messages from people trying to cherry-pick the high value stuff though.

If you're going to sell it complete then www.homeworkshop.co.uk is a great place to list it for free.

P.S for your chisels look around for a viceroy sharpedge.

Edited By Pete Rimmer on 25/07/2020 07:36:39

Thread: Engineers' Level adjustment - why 4 holes?
20/07/2020 05:45:23

I would expect that the outside holes are threaded into the vial carrier so those screws 'pull' and the inside holes thread into the housing so they 'push', thus allowing adjustment with the facility to hold the vial very firmly. If you loosen either outside hole too much the vial carrier will fall off the screw.

Thread: DC motor reversing
18/07/2020 05:26:23
Posted by Jon Lawes on 18/07/2020 01:35:28:

It may have an electronically actuated brake.

As a lifting device for the disabled, I'd say it has a brake that is held off electrically and fail-safe's to 'braked'. Probably under that copper strip.

I'd start with pulling out the motor and testing it outside the housing. Certainly don't test it with 24V if it's wedged with 12V.

Thread: Myford Apron Dovetail Damage
15/07/2020 19:38:16

Make a burr file and get rid of any high spots then just use it. Take an ordinary thin flat file and rub it on a stone a bit to take the edge off the teeth. Now run the file flat across the dovetail surface. It will only cut high spots and leave the way surface unharmed.

Thread: hardinge 5c collets
12/07/2020 23:01:51

Hey Barry, thanks for the long reply and especially the excellent test specifications. I'd love to continue this conversation with you but this is not my thread. Perhaps when I get some time I'll start one about my own HLV.

P.S I actually had those very test bars you mention in my workshop for a time. I was storing them for the guy who bought them from ZMT. Alas, I didn't have my machine built before he came to collect them but that's ok, I can make my own.

Pete.

Thread: Pratt Burnerd chuck
12/07/2020 16:16:10

Mike,

What are the jaw width, slot width and tooth pitch?

Thread: hardinge 5c collets
12/07/2020 08:00:29
Posted by Barry Stone 1 on 11/07/2020 20:44:30:

Hi to everyone, especially Paul Rayner.

I am Barry, I started my apprenticeship at Hardinge Machine Tools, Exeter in 1966, ending in 1971. There was a factory in Hanworth Road, Feltham, Middx, but that closed a couple of years after I started. The head company base was Hardinge Brothers in Elmira, New York, USA. I continued to work as a Hardinge fitter building HLV-H centre lathes, a few HC turret lathes, but mainly the DV/DSM 59 range of centre and capstan lathes, as well as all accessories. Finally, I worked in the Drawing/Design Office and left in early 1979 to become a SkillCentre Bench Engineering Instructor. Before I left, I worked on redesigning the American KL pedestal unit to fit the English HLV-H to become "our" KL and updated HC models.

Your pictures show very different designs of 5C collet (known in English factories as a PH92 collet), going by the face engraving/stamping. The top one (5/32" looks correct but the lower one, 9/32" was not made in UK, in my opinion. It may be an American one, the circular collet design with Hardinge stamped through it is not an English factory 'thing'. It has added stampings "O" and "B" - I'm not familiar with this, it could have been made as elsewhere as a copy (Hardinge lathes were copied by a few foreign companies, including a Taiwan company called Feeler but their parts would not fit the genuine factory built machine). The spindle back bearing diameter is nominally 1.2500" with an exceptionally tight tolerance of +0.0001" if I remember correctly. Collet back bearing (you describe as just before the thread), I believe, has a diameter of 1.2498" tolerance of only -0.0003". The body length measures from the 10 degree head angle. Bore diameter max runout is 0.001" at a point 1" from the front face. The spindle collet key entering the back bearing is locked in place with a short, #10-32 UNF, grub screw, and is set for depth of engagement against a special gauge.

Pete Rimmer sounds to be very familiar with Hardinge, I'm sure his opinions are reliable too.

Hi Barry,

Thanks for you r detailed information, it's great that you have been able to provide some insight into the production of those collets. Tight tolerances indeed.

My interest comes from doing a full restoration of my own Feltham HLV. I had the bed ground and rebuilt the carriage, scraped the various ways and rebuilt the headstock too.

I have a question to ask of you - can you tell us what it is exactly that defines the KL-1 model as opposed to a HLV-H? Is it just a UK designation for a HLV-H? A metric machine? I can't seem to find a definitive answer, I'm hoping that you know.

Pete.

Thread: Boring problem
09/07/2020 19:47:34

Try making a boring pass then simply pushing against the tool post with the heel of your hand as you retract the tool. Chances are it won't even touch.

Thread: Hammer flipping experiment?
07/07/2020 20:27:27

I can debunk that now Dave.

I just found an old wooden mallet. Typical symmetric head and rectangular-ish haft. I took a marker pen and wrote 1 and 2 on the opposite faces. A and B on the opposite cheeks.

Every time I flip it with the 1 face upwards, I catch it with the 1 face upwards. If I flip it repeatedly starting with the A cheek upwards, it flips to B, A, B, A, B without fail.

Thread: Ac motor 3 wire
06/07/2020 20:52:40

I took a motor out of a security barrier once that was wired like that. It's a 3 phase 415v motor but wired to 240v single phase with a capacitor wired across 2 phases. Up and down was provided by sending power to one of the two phases wired to the cap or the other, as required.

For light duty operation it works just great.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest