By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Pete Rimmer

Here is a list of all the postings Pete Rimmer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Metric thread dimension wanted.
01/08/2021 08:52:09

That's a handy look-up table but it's rather rediculous giving the dimensions in a millionth of a millimeter.

Thread: Spikes from Hifi speakers when switching lathe off
31/07/2021 15:01:15

Mine does the same to the LCD TV on the wall in my workshop. Has done for many years. My soldering heat gun does it too. Never did any harm.

Thread: Silver Solder Stocks
30/07/2021 21:16:28

HSE won't have anything to do with anything that's not workplace related. Not sure about trading standards and private sales but I really doubt they would be interested either.

Thread: Metric thread dimension wanted.
30/07/2021 20:00:04

How deep you cut depends on what cutting tool you are using. If you're using a pointed 60-degree bit you need to cut deeper from touching-off than if you have a nose flat/radius.

Not sure what you mean by no data avilable in imperial measurements. Metric threads are specified in metric units if you have inch dials just divide any mm measurements by 25.4 for dimensions in inch.

29/07/2021 17:49:56
Posted by JasonB on 29/07/2021 15:17:43:

As the main reason for the ban seems to be to protect those using the solder from the harmful effects of fumes when it is molten then unless people are intending to reheat their boilers to soldering temperatures I can't see it doing much harm. More likely to suffer from all that coal smoke you breath in sat 3ft behind the chimney.

Quite and that is speficially cited as the reason for banning the sale of stick solder containing cadmium.

I don;t see it as nearly so much of a grey area a SOD, you could cite a dozen scenarios of how it might be but personally I would only be concerned if the legislation said it was illegal to put cadmium bearing solder on the market or any item known to contain traces of it.

Thread: OMT microscope - restored
28/07/2021 21:30:46
Posted by gerry madden on 26/07/2021 17:05:08:

One aspect I'm not sure about on these mics is the proper/correct way to set the thread-adjustment nut. Should they for example be tightened to give a certain 'free-play' value in the shaft or perhaps tightened to give a specific friction torque value ?

Gerry

I have no idea Gerry I just tightened mine until I was happy with the sticktion. The stages on mine are spring-loaded so I rely on that to remove any backlash, not that I can detect any.

28/07/2021 21:09:30
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 26/07/2021 10:27:09:

It might be worth thinking about the legal status of models and locomotive boilers made with cadmium bearing solder.

If you want to sell an item made post 2011, you would be wise to avoid all cadmium containing materials.

Neil

I don't like to play Devil's advocate Neil but I really think this is a bit of a stretch. Selling an item that contains traces of cadmium in it's construction isn't the same as selling a product that has cadmium as one of it's constituent parts.

I suspect that it's no more illegal to sell a model built with cadmium-based solder than it is to sell a piece of old equipment that has asbestos flash shields in the electrical cabinet. That said I'd welcome a pointer towards the legislation that specifically makes it so.

Thread: Help with surface plates in Derby
27/07/2021 20:30:18

I recondition surface plates from time to time I tink I have seven in my workshop right now. Small iron plates I scrape, granite plates I lap with diamonds. Invariably they are out of certification, some by many years and I can tell you this - I never yet saw a used plate that wasn't out of specification for the last ticket that was on it and only one that came close.

Remember this when buying any used plate - you absolutely cannot rely on the 'grade' sticker and should completely disregard it as part of any selling spiel. Grade A, grade B it doesn't matter - they almost all need re-working.

27/07/2021 19:12:22

Scraping in a 18" plate is a lot fo work it's huge surface area. Granite plates by comparison are quick to lap in and reportedly wear more slowly. Certainly they can suffer clumsy handling without taking damage more than an iron plate can.

Thread: OMT microscope - restored
25/07/2021 21:57:17

Nice work Gerry. Are those Shardlow micrometer heads? They look identical to the ones I have on my Hilger & Watts microscope.

Thread: Wall Chart
24/07/2021 15:24:01

How is this Derek? Prints on A3

Link

Edited By Pete Rimmer on 24/07/2021 15:25:12

Thread: Maximat V10-P Lathe Headstock Gears
24/07/2021 11:35:31

Dave if you post up some details/pics of the gear you need I might be able to help if you can't find anywhere that supplies it. I take it the original gear is plastic or fiber?

24/07/2021 10:16:34

Does being illegal to put on the market automatically make buying it an offence too though?

Thread: Is there a chart for drill hole dia vs. boring bar size?
24/07/2021 10:11:55

You need space for the chips that are produced to prevent packing of the hole so for short pieces you can use less clearance but longer bores you either add clearance, take smaller cuts, use some kind of flush or retract the tool more often.

24/07/2021 10:00:34

I suspect that the manufacture of such solder is far more hazardous on the whole than the use, and the process of cadmium plating several orders of magnitude more enviromentally hazardous again.

Thread: Bench grinder
23/07/2021 20:49:14

Nothing naughty about recommending a decent piece of kit. Metabo stuff is genuine German quality not German-badged Chinese stuff. Clarke is bottom-end quality and at £25 for a grinder and two silicone carbide wheels you can be thankful it even spins.

People have already pointed out the cause of the problem and the solution. Budget grinders have tiny shoulders on the shaft and cheap stamped-out side plates that have holes with too much clearance on the shaft and not enough bearing on the tiny shoulder. You CAN mount a wheel running true with them but you'll grow a beard trying. Get some scrap plate in your lathe and turn some thicker side plates that fit closely on the shaft and hence hold the wheels square or do what many including myself have done and turn a 1-1/4" hub with plate integrated that goes on the shaft and take advantage of the superior range of surface grinder wheels out there.

Thread: Potentiometers
22/07/2021 22:57:50

Sadly there's no info in the manual. If it were my machine I would take the lid off and determine the value of the pot on the panel. Chances are that you are correct and it needs a different pot (possibly a different wattage too). Commonly the pot in the foot pdal will match the oe on the panel.

22/07/2021 21:37:15

What welder?

Thread: San Ou K72 - 200 4Jaw Chuck Sitrep
22/07/2021 10:13:01

I think that the feedback on general quality and finish is as important as anything so thanks for that Mike. It's true that any part held firmly and turned should have no runout but it could be out of round, tapered or all kinds of shapes if the jaw faces were not parallel and lkwed the part to Rick in the jaws whilst turning, so there is some significance there.

Incidentally whilst the conce tricity of the rear register is an indication of the general quality it is in no way critical to the mounting of the chuck body concentric to the backplate. You can achieve that with no register at all by using a DTI to dial the chuck in before tightening the bolts. What is most critical is the parallelism of the chuck face to the rear mounting face. You can't adjust that out.

Thread: Old lathe tools
18/07/2021 17:15:24

The one with the hole and slot is a spring threading tool, used to prevent chatter when approaching full depth on a threadcutting job.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
emcomachinetools
Warco
Dreweatts
JD Metals
rapid Direct
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest