By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Pete Rimmer

Here is a list of all the postings Pete Rimmer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cast Iron Straight Edge
21/01/2019 20:48:13

Raw straight edge castings need stress relieving. The HKA-x ones you see on ebay are King design and the finished ones they used to sell were stress relieved, rough-machined, stress relieved, machined then scraped, sometimes with a third round of stress relief thrown in. The ebay ones have one round of stress relief and are said to require no more but it's still possible they would move during machining.

Even old, previously-finished straight edges can develop a twist over time. I bought a 36" one which looked pretty good but had about half a thou of twist in it.

21/01/2019 01:21:37

Don't know of any new finished ones in the UK. There's a guy in the South West sells the odd casting for 12" dovetail straight edges and they are nice to scrape in but you'll have to machine all the working faces first.

Kblast straight edge

Other than that you can buy King castings off eBay but they also need machining, perhaps stress-relieving and then scraping to finish before you can call them good to use. You're looking at 400 quid for an un-machined casting, plus import and vat most likely.

Used ones are very thin on the ground.

Thread: Harrison milling machine play
20/01/2019 11:40:31

Hi Marcel,

If tightening the gib lifts it off the ways then you have a wear issue. Might be that it;s been run a while with the gib loose and worn a ridge that it's pulling up onto when the gib is snugged up.

Pop some photos up to show exactly where the problem is and you might get some good advice on how to improve it.

Thread: lathe to cut 26tpi
15/01/2019 20:48:59

My Bantam had 26tpi on the gear chart.

Thread: VFD recommendations
14/01/2019 00:05:02

I have several VFD's - Omron, Vacon, Yaskawa, Weg. By far the easiest and most intuitive to set up is the WEG aided by the excellent manual. I just got the Yaskawa today and though it has a myriad of setup options which would make it very versatile the manual is not so intuitive to follow. The Vacon one was also quite clunky to program. Both the Yaskawa and the WEG have dc injection braking which is very handy.

Andrew - my V1000 is also single phase but retains the three incoming power terminals, terminals 2 and 3 being bridged.

Thread: Chipmaster question
12/01/2019 16:18:17

I think the chipmaster is the same as the Bantam, 9/16" diameter 10tpi pitch .200" lead left hand 2 start. I could possibly be able to knock out an EN8DM threaded blank to splice into your screw but I'm really busy right now. They are expensive because of the integral gear which I could also probably hob but if it is the sliding spline type, I have no cutter for the spline.

Thread: More help please
10/01/2019 18:59:50

20 thou runout is like 20 miles for a gear cutter for clock gears.

Thread: Selecting a VFD for a Harrison lathe.
06/01/2019 22:38:21

Check your parameters P00 (max voltage) that should tell you at least if it's set too low.

Also try using the keys when the motor is running, many VFD's cycle through a bunch of read-only parameters to display stuff like frequency, current, bus voltage etc as the motor is running.

Thread: what solvent cleaner to use?
06/01/2019 18:29:27

Brake cleaner. I get a box of four 5L cans every 6 months or so. Costs less than 40 quid which sounds like a lot but a £2 a litre is a lot less than buying aerosol cans. You have to use a pressure pot sprayer though, the trigger guns don't like it one bit.

Thread: Mystery Willard Lathe Tool
06/01/2019 10:58:10
Posted by Clive Foster on 05/01/2019 13:51:01:

I have a good selection of UNF and Whitworth form pitches but no metric. Does anyone know where metric ones can be got from?

Clive

I have a full set of metric ones that I never use. Some are un-used. I'll dig them out Clive.

Edited By Pete Rimmer on 06/01/2019 10:59:10

Thread: Selecting a VFD for a Harrison lathe.
06/01/2019 00:20:12

Disconnecting one phase at a time will diagnose that pretty quickly.

05/01/2019 17:19:52

Sounds like it's cogging badly. Either a parameter problem or the VFD is just faulty IMHO.

Edited By Pete Rimmer on 05/01/2019 17:20:08

04/01/2019 20:31:05
Posted by Daniel Grant on 04/01/2019 17:26:59:

Here’s a couple of pictures from the ‘manual’. Not the most thorough document I’m afraid.

Pics are illegible Daniel. Do you have a scanner? If not and if you're taking them with your phone try an app called CamScanner - it's fantastic at cleaning up documents, can output to JPG or PDF.

04/01/2019 16:43:45

It's very unlikely that there's a fault in that motor. You probably need to alter some parameters in the VFD. Do you have a link to the online manual?

Thread: Cast iron or Aluminium?
04/01/2019 00:00:59
Posted by Barnabas Taylor on 02/01/2019 22:52:06:

Yep, I thought of that. I do worry about my ability to machine on it though as it didn't come with a toolpost, only a hand turning rest. I might just have to set up with a collet in the myford, or the fourjaw chuck andCdo the best I can with it.

If you wanted to face it on the lathe it's working on you could remove the cross slide from the Myford and clamp it down on/next to the small lathe. Use the compound to face it.

Thread: Model engineers - enlisted in war efforts?
03/01/2019 23:54:43
Posted by John Haine on 03/01/2019 17:03:41:
Posted by Ian S C on 03/01/2019 09:16:20:

One of the engineering instructors at the NAC(New Zealand National Airways Corperation) engineering school told us of model engineers in UK using their lathes at home to lap in the crankshafts for RR Merlin engines

Wow!! Must have had huge lathes, the Merlin 61 was 2.25 metres long...

The cranks might have been stationary or mounted on horses, the lathe used to make the laps and the journals lapped by hand or even belt-driven off the lathe. It does seem unlikely though.

03/01/2019 12:33:30

Both of my Grandad's saw active service, one was an anti-aircraft gunner in the navy and the other was at El Alamein, so they would have been very grateful for the guys back home producing parts. One of them had a very old treadle lathe but even by WW2 it would have been obsolete I think it was 1900's. If he hadn't been drafted he might very well have been a producer of parts as he had the skill for it.

One of my lathes was bought new in 1943 by the US army Ordnance Corps and that is certainly home shop sized so could well have been used in a home shop on munitions work. Whether it was initially used in the States or send straight over on Lend Lease I could not say.

Thread: Lathe identification
03/01/2019 12:19:49

I think it's at least mostly Atlas. The round badge painted over looks like an Atlas badge, there should also be one on the end of the bed I think. Hard to tell from the pic but it looks like someone has fitted a newer top slide onto the Atlas top slide base - the one that on it doesn't belong. Doesn't look like the right tailstock either.

As said above, there's a lot missing. Either it's been robbed of all it's screwcutting gear or it's a plain-turning lathe that someone has fitted a screwcutting apron onto, possibly in the hope of doing a full conversion. as it sits it's a real bitsa, and they were never a great lathe when complete.

03/01/2019 11:55:57

The swirls in the headstock casting, the shape of the base and the round shiny cross-feed/sliding feed knob under the cross slide screw all point to it being an Atlas lathe, or one of the clones.

Thread: Using Hobs without a Hobbing Machine
02/01/2019 19:29:06

I think we are at crossed purposes, I am referring to the setup in Phil's pics - his dad's setup for Myford changewheels.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest