By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Pete Rimmer

Here is a list of all the postings Pete Rimmer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Drilling HSS
14/06/2020 08:09:15

I drilled one with a broken carbide end mill. I just ground a small spade end on it and pushed it through in the drill press.

Thread: Chipmaster vfd
13/06/2020 18:38:18

Those variators should have an adjustment for the cones. Yours might only need adjusting.

Thread: Smart and Brown Sabel
12/06/2020 06:01:17
Posted by Jim Beagley on 11/06/2020 21:57:05:e.

Lastly, anyone know of a source for the oiler felt? Mine has definitely seen better days. Lots of the oil ways were pretty blocked, so I think this strip down was worth the trouble - mind you, I've not finished yet.

Oh, and I still cannot budge those stupid hammer-in rivets. Bah.

Jim, you'll find the felts for the Southbend 9" lathe will fit it. Loads of those available.

Hammer-drive rivets I lift using old feeler gauges to get them unseated at first.

Edited By Pete Rimmer on 12/06/2020 06:05:48

Thread: Keeping Shop clean
07/06/2020 17:00:43
Posted by larry phelan 1 on 07/06/2020 12:14:29:

An old turner I knew always maintained that if you have time to clean up your workshop, then you are not busy.

I hear this a lot (usually online). I always refer to my friend's (very busy) engineering/light fabrication shop which is always, always spotless. They cut something on the guillotine - the scrap bits go straight in the bin right at hand. They use the grinder - they sweep up right away. Every punch press has a bin under or next to it. Every single last tool has it's place and its always there.

Once you have it instilled in the workforce as a culture it's easy to maintain because they tidy up automatically and the productivity goes right up because there's no reason to ever have to stop work to clean up or look for a something.

Thread: New or old style 3 phase motors?
06/06/2020 13:47:32
Posted by Andrew Tinsley on 06/06/2020 10:52:53:

I have some unused Brook Crompton 3 phase motors still in their original boxes. They are probably 40 years old.

For inverter use, I seem to remember that these old style motors are not the best choice. Lower maximum operating temperature and prone to heating with the HF in the inverter supply. Modern motors are better equipped to cope so I am told.

Now I need a motor to power some kit and once installed, it will be very difficult to access. Do I buy a cheap TEC motor or use one of the Brook Crompton motors?

Which is more reliable on inverter power? Indeed are the cheaper TEC motors a good choice? They are Chinese made but with an English sales company

Thanks,

Andrew.

What size are your motors Andrew? I am looking for something suitable for my grinder, 1/2 to 3/4hp 3 phase and a NOS Brook Crompton would be ideal. If you had one you would sell I'dl abandon the single phase motor currently fitted in favour of a 3 phase motor and fit a VFD.

Thread: Non standard taps - what are they ?
04/06/2020 06:15:32
Posted by Yngvar F on 03/06/2020 19:42:52:
Posted by Andrew Cox 3 on 03/06/2020 17:07:05:

although relatively unusual in the wider world, finds widespread use in the old Citroen cars I dearly love.

Only come across them on old Vespas. Not the 1,1 version.

Quite regular on motorbikes. Older Czech engines like MZ had them and there are many many Suzuki motorbikes right up to present day use M7 for the engine valve cover bolts.

Thread: Myford MG9 grinder
30/05/2020 12:13:11

It is very frustrating not being able to find literature for the MG9 grinder, but I'm slowly coming to an understanding.

So, I saw this photo from the web which is a good rear shot of another machine.

Clearly there is no counter-weight on the MG9. The four holes appear to be motor mount holes which means that the original 3 phase motor must have been inside the base casting. Mine has a large frame single phase motor fitted to a shelf in the cabinet. I believe that the two holes cut in the top of the cabinet are not original (and the access panel in the rear on mine is certainly not), and were put in to facilitate the fitting of the single phase motor (the capacitor pokes up through the larger square hole, the belt passes through the smaller).

It''s very neatly done, and a very good quality motor, just not original fitment. I am undecided as to which way I will go with this. I could fit a 3-phase motor back in the original position and use a VFD, or I could persevere with the single-phase one.

Another question I can't answer is whether the original drive used a single vee pulley or a two-step pulley. My spindle has a 2-step pulley fitted, the motor a single-step pulley.

The three holes in the end of my slide also appear very faintly in the pic above. They seem to have been filled and painted over. I can only assume they were retaining a way cover of some sort.

29/05/2020 06:39:02

Thanks for the photo Andrew it helps me a lot. The MG9 has a single small sump and it was bothering me that it had such a small capacity and scant room for a pump. Mine also has an outlet in the rear wall mid-height which stuck out about 3" with an elbow on it. Then I saw this flyer which seems to show a separate coolant tank on the floor behind the machine.

I guess the outlet is a gravity drain to the separate suds tank.

Thread: Hardinge Identification help
28/05/2020 18:37:05

I don't know what makes the difference between a HLV and a KL-1. The lathes site seems to suggest that KL-1 is the UK name for a HLV-H but I have a Feltham HLV-H parts manual and KL-1 isn't mentioned in it.

28/05/2020 18:26:53
Posted by 10ba12ba on 28/05/2020 10:34:41:

A nice machine Peter, I hope the refurbishment goes well.

What projects have you got for it?

H

Thank you, I'm sure it will.

I have several immediate jobs for it. I have to make some hardened arbors for my gear hobbing machine. Hobbing demands that you hold the part and the hob very accurately.

Pete.

28/05/2020 00:03:27
Posted by Mark Rand on 27/05/2020 23:26:29:

Are you intending to re-align/re-scrape the ways after the painting?

Yes for sure. It has some wear but not too much and the long ways are worn the same all over so the geometry should be preserved. I do have to find a long enough dovetail straight edge to borrow though. Also I am going to have to figure out how to support the table for scraping. The profile is too long and thin to stop it from bending under it's own weight. Perhaps I will lay it on top of a large surface plate and let it over-hang 6" either side, or I might just send it for grinding, not sure yet.

27/05/2020 19:37:07
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 27/05/2020 14:02:03:

The tension weight is a hefty lump of steel, well over 100lbs. I think there's a chain up to the wheelhead slide and a folded steel cover attached to the back of the cabinet. Since the operating thread is fine pitch you don't really notice the thunking great weight when operating. If it helps I can take a better picture.

Andrew

That would be nice if you could but no rush. I have a good bit to do before I'm ready to grind anything.

Painted the base casting and covers today. I hate painting and I'm not much good at it so I was satisfied with just a couple of runs

That's not my garden fence by the way - it's a knackered old panel I stood up for something handy to hang the bits off.

27/05/2020 00:16:08

Thank you both. No shame in showing pics of a well used machine Andrew - I'd rather see a machine put to good use than a show queen.

By the way I have four unused holes in the rear of my base casting and something missing that should be on the rear of my wheelhead slide. Looking at your album pics I see a counterweight on your machine. I don't have that, I wonder if the MG 9 came without one or if it's missing?

26/05/2020 18:30:44

My thanks to Andrew for sending me some lubrication info. He is correct in saying that the machines are actually quite different as regards lubrication and it's clear that the MG12 is a more advanced machine but it at least gives me some pointers.

Anyway, here are some pics for anyone who is interested.:

Advert pic:

The seller remove the top from the base for me to load it and that exposed some hidden flaking paint. So right away the cabinet was sanded, primed and painted.

Before:

After paint:

I also gave the main casting a damn good clean with jizer and a jetwash

Whilst that was drying I set to making a tool for adjusting the gibs. Someone had tried to adjust them without a proper way to turn the locknuts and made a mess of the screw slots, This tool will help me to adjust them properly.

A nice snug fit.

Looking forward to getting this machine rebuilt so I can use it. I have a number of jobs that will be so much nicer with a ground finish.

25/05/2020 06:13:35
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 24/05/2020 10:58:10:
Posted by Pete Rimmer on 23/05/2020 19:42:38:

Does your manual contain general setup, maintenance and lubrication info?

Some, but as you'd expect from a 1960s manual it's all rather vague. I've also got a sheet from the original Myford company listing oil types and application. My machine has oil reservoirs rather than the sight glasses on the MG9. My internal spindle is greased for life, so there are no lubrication points.

Andrew

Andrew how are your grinder ways lubricated? Mine has grease nipples which naturally someone has pumped full of grease instead of way oil, hence the advert stating that the motions were a bit stiff.

It would be nice to find a lubrication chart. If not i'll be going for ISO60 way oil and BL10 for the spindle drip oilers.

Thread: Myford S7 Cutting Barrel Shaped Cylinders
24/05/2020 21:42:11
Posted by Hopper on 24/05/2020 09:46:57:
Posted by Pete Rimmer on 24/05/2020 09:42:44:

The saddle and tailstock run on different parts of the flat way, the tailstock will never wear the chuck end and the saddle won't appreciably wear the tailstock end, so you can actually put a level on either end quite confidently as it will sit on the un-worn parts both ends unless the wear is particularly heavy or the top surface damaged with dings and burrs.

This doesn't stop the saddle rotating on the worn bits but it does give you a baseline to start your measurements. from.

But the saddle runs on the full width of the top horizontal surface of both ways. So saddle wear is full width. Problem is the front way way takes most of the load and wears more than the rear way. Unless the Super 7 carriage is different from the ML7? (It doesn't appear to be but I dont have one to hand to check.)

I suppose you could measure the actual wear on the bed and shim the level accordingly??? Or build a "sled" that referenced off the relatively unworn underside of the shears where the lift plates run and sit your level on that??? Tricky though.

Edited By Hopper on 24/05/2020 09:57:47

Ah right, I didn't realise that. I have scraped a 7 bed from end to end (hand-scraped 7 thou of wear out of it) but never used one.

Your next best option would be to pop the headstock off and put the level on there.

24/05/2020 11:08:24

Ok, well thank you for taking time to look. I have the machine home now, time to evaluate it and work my way through any jobs. The top is stripped off now which has exposed a lot of flaking paint in the tray beneath. I'll have to paint it which I wasn't expecting, but it will only add to the overall finish.

Mechanically, it appears very good.

Pete.

Thread: Myford S7 Cutting Barrel Shaped Cylinders
24/05/2020 09:42:44

The saddle and tailstock run on different parts of the flat way, the tailstock will never wear the chuck end and the saddle won't appreciably wear the tailstock end, so you can actually put a level on either end quite confidently as it will sit on the un-worn parts both ends unless the wear is particularly heavy or the top surface damaged with dings and burrs.

This doesn't stop the saddle rotating on the worn bits but it does give you a baseline to start your measurements. from.

24/05/2020 05:10:35
Posted by Mark Rand on 23/05/2020 23:57:55:

I wondered who got it. Spent half an hour lookking at the pictures and thinking about it, but sanity (and a lack of space) prevailed. laugh

Yeah I got it.....

...in the ear off the missus when I told her :D

23/05/2020 22:14:18
Posted by Chris Evans 6 on 23/05/2020 22:11:55:

I have used a mate's Myford grinder a few times. I will ask him what model it is and if he has any info for you. May be a delay with the copying if he has info due to the covid 19

Thanks Chris, I appreciate that.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest