By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Pete Rimmer

Here is a list of all the postings Pete Rimmer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: RAF to give up flying planes.
08/09/2021 17:58:25

I had a 'day out' some years ago having a go in several older-model flight simulators along with a couple of other guys. We were all aquainted with one of the operators and it was a rare day when there were no machines booked.

It was a great fun day. I managed to land a 737 on finals at Gatwick, albeit running off the end of the runway but apparently it did qualify as a succesful landing.

I also managed to land a Sikorski, unfortunately tail-first :D

I could see their value as a training aid. The noise, vibration and movement makes your brain fill in the blanks to convince you that you really are flying the plane. Well, almost...

Thread: Read the small print
06/09/2021 21:01:08
Posted by Harry Wilkes on 06/09/2021 16:46:36:

Lost the will to read this post sad

H

Your will fell off? Hope you weren't going fast at the time laugh

Thread: cutting spur gears on a mill
06/09/2021 17:21:38

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4043256

Drawn with Sketchup.

Thread: A stark reminder to leisure cyclists !
05/09/2021 18:10:34
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 05/09/2021 16:55:04:

Hi Robert, I think you'll find that even car derived vans exceeding 2 Tonnes laden weight will be the same as all commercial vans as far as maximum speeds are concerned.

Regards Nick.

Nick a van cannot be classified as a car-derived van if it's laden weight is above 2 tonnes.

05/09/2021 09:27:59

I saw one a couple of weeks ago. i just exited the Dartford Tunnel heading North when the car in front suddenly swerved to the left, and I was forced to do the same due to a mountain bike laying across the line between the lanes. About half a mile further on there was a car on the hard shoulder with a pair of bicycles on his 3-bike roof rack and a space where the third should be.

Thread: Zyto Lathe
04/09/2021 20:13:56

Hi Beccy.

The big chuck at the far right end does not belong on that machine it's for a muc larger lathe, also the tailstock (the thing it#s hanging on is fitted backwards. The pointy end attachment should point at the chuck on the left.

Your dad's lathe appears to be largely complete although the sapearate wall-mounted countershaft makes it a bit cumbersome. In the cabinet the only parts that belong to it are the gears and the big round faceplate with the slots. Loks like there is a tilstock chuck too (it fits in place of the pointy end dead centre in the tailstock). The grinder wheels and other bits are not meant for a lathe (although he may well have used them in it). The wooden thing in the corner is a hand tool called a wood plane.

04/09/2021 19:04:20

Hello Beccy.

A Zyto lathe would be a metalworking lathe. they are small, basic and the newest ones will be 70yrs old. The value will not be great and will depend on the condition and how complete it is. If it's lacking a motor and gears, like many that you see, then it will not be woth much at all. If however it has a working motor and drive system, a good compliment of gears and perhaps a chuck or two then it might be worth a couple of hundred or maybe a bit more.

Post the pictures if you can.

Pete.

Thread: Disposal of swarf
03/09/2021 14:53:27

I cram it into rubble sacks and lob it in the skip at work. If I didn't have a slkip I'd put it in the front garden for a passing scrappy.

Thread: I need to cut chamfers into x64 pieces of mild steel - any advice?
03/09/2021 14:51:32

Belt sander and simple jig is what I would use. You can make a jig out of a large door hinge and some odd bits with a bolt for a stop. Should easily come in under your budget and it'll be quick.

Thread: Replacing a bushing
03/09/2021 11:45:06

I would be very tempted to knock up a couple of bushings from Delrin or PTFE.

03/09/2021 06:51:05

Looks like a 5/8" x 15/16" x 11/16" long bushing to me.

Edit: Looks like you have taken the flange OD as your OD size. If so, it should be OD of the bush itself.

It looks like the part number is made up from the relevant sizes in sixteenths of an inch.

Edited By Pete Rimmer on 03/09/2021 07:11:55

Thread: Dividing this would have been an interesting exercise !!
15/08/2021 15:24:47

I don't see it as a circular dividing problem at all, in fact you could not do it by dividing since the pins are not radially equi-distant as dividing would give.

The only consideration is that the wires are equi-distant linearly - the pins are only off-set radially due to space constraints. A jig bore would make easy meat of it, or a mill and modern DRO.

EDIT: as a matter of fact the easiest way to set the wires at equal pitches is to use a slitting saw of the same thickness as the wire diameter and cut alignment grooves in the raised annulus. The pins are then inconsequential.

Edited By Pete Rimmer on 15/08/2021 15:29:09

Thread: Belt lacing clips
14/08/2021 18:06:54

Clipper lacing is another. I have a Clipper lacer which is intended for use in vice jaws. Don't have any clips though.

Thread: Consequences of Machining Cast Iron
12/08/2021 20:34:28

Get some 'Iron Out' wheel cleaner. It's purpose it to remove the particles of iron that come off car brake discs and embed themselves into the paint/powder coating of your car wheels. It's fantastic stuff.

P.S. if it melts your sink it's your fault not mine :D

Thread: Getting Myford oiled up
09/08/2021 18:49:33
Posted by brian jones 11 on 09/08/2021 18:40:23:

Well guys tell me how that will work on the layshaft bearings which have a 1/4" press fit spring ball type that is flat and flush fitting, which my conical guns works ok.

The answer is pretty obvious you need different ends to fit the different fittings.

Thread: Change Gears Identification
09/08/2021 18:30:28

South Bend gears are certainly 18DP 14.5PA (for the smaller lathes). Im making some currently.

Thread: Custom Thread Sizes
06/08/2021 18:17:04

Whether a cross slide thread is LH or RH is determined by whether the handle moves with the slide or not. Handle moves with slide = RH thread. Handle stays fixed when slide is moving = LH thread.

You are correct that the thread depth is governed by the pitch for standard leadscrew threads (pitch=depth) but it absolutely does not have to be. If you are making the thread you can decide the depth in fact stub form threads are typically half depth and if a thread has multiple starts then typically the depth will be equal to lead/starts (which is equal to the thread pitch).

05/08/2021 19:45:37

1/2" dia x 10tpi (left hand) is a standard size for Denford cross-slide screws. Oddly enough the metric screws are 1/2" dia x 2.5mm pitch.

Thread: Help with surface plates in Derby
02/08/2021 21:37:00

For a small lathe like a myford you could readily scrape 8-10 thou off a bed to bring the rest down to the level of the most worn section. It's a lot of work but doable especially on a flat ways bed which is quite simple to control the progress. My first scraping project was a ML7 bed with 7 thou wear in the front way which I scraped out by hand.

A commercial rebuilder would not consider it though unless it was such a size or shape and of significant value/usefulness that there was no option but to scrape out any wear. They would grind or plane the bed and then scrape the last thou or less.

Bear in mind that whatever wear you have in the bedway, it'll be much more on the underside of the saddle, probably x2. It will also be mostly at the leading and trailing edges and least in the middle causing the saddle to rock on the high spot. Sometimes you can do more for a distressed machine by scraping the saddle rather than the bed.

Thread: Metric thread dimension wanted.
01/08/2021 11:41:07

A gauge even if it could be made to 1nm tolerance would be useless. Using it one single time would put it out of tolerance.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
Warco
walker midge
cowells
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest