By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Pete Rimmer

Here is a list of all the postings Pete Rimmer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Does anyone know what this is for?
10/05/2021 22:59:49

Well, I don't think the author is a member here but if he is and he feels offended then I apologise for that.

Thread: Lathe run out
10/05/2021 20:32:36

If I were you I would:

Check the bed for straightness with a sensitive level. Adjust to suit (if it's possible). If you have no level or it's not adjustable (maybe it's on three feet) just carry on down this list.

Chuck up a stout piece of ally in the chuck (perhaps 2" dia and 6" long) take skim passes and check for parallel. If the bed is not twisted and the part dosn't turn parallel then you have no choice but to loosen the headstock and adjust.

Once you have it turning parallel time to adjust the tailstock. Measure the tailstock ram with a micrometer. Turn the piece in the chuck to the same diameter. Bring the tailstock up to the part you have turned.

Put a mag base on the saddle with a tenth-reading dial gauge. Put the dial gauge against the side of the ram and move the saddle so it crosses over to the turned bar. It should read the same. If it doesn't adjust using the off-setting adjuster until it does.

Now do the same but running the dial gauge along the top of the parts. If the tailstock is low shim between the body and base to suit. Check the ram is level with the dial gauge or very slightly rising (never falling).

If you do all that you'll be about as good as you can get.

10/05/2021 18:47:28

34" of 1" bar is basically a noodle. It could be anywhere. Even if it were held by the tailstock centre it would still not turn parallel because the centre would whip. This is a time that you need to use a travelling steady.

Edited By Pete Rimmer on 10/05/2021 18:47:57

10/05/2021 17:29:23

It 's a subject-piece for a "who can take the worst photos" competition. Honestly you couldn't take less useful photos if you tried.

Thread: DTI contact points
08/05/2021 11:13:15

I bought a 'carbide' tip from ebay and found that the stem was easily shaved with my carbide scraper. Not carbide then. Seller tried to get me to accept a refund but I kept it and added appropriate feedback so that others may be warned.

Thread: Where to find a *good* optically flat mirror?
07/05/2021 17:23:34
Posted by Tendor on 07/05/2021 13:43:56:Hume's book on autocollimators mentions that reflectors should be flat "within a few millionth of an inch" (~ 75 nm)

My mounted mirrors came with certification stating the measured flatness as 3 millionths and 7 millionths of an inch.

Thread: Shipping to the EU - beware!
06/05/2021 17:55:41
Posted by Samsaranda on 06/05/2021 10:20:55:

A few years ago I mailed a couple of castings to myself, in the UK, from Australia, had been there on holiday and the castings would have put my baggage seriously overweight. Don’t ask why I bought castings in Australia, the wife gave me enough grief over it. The castings arrived at the Gatwick freight handling centre and couldn’t be released until I had paid the admin fees and VAT on the items, I was not best pleased having to pay VAT on my own possessions.

Seems to me the only thing different between you buying something in Aus and having them ship it, and buying something in Aus and shipping it yourself is the person putting it in the box. What reasoning do you use that makes it different with regards to import charges?

Thread: Help please!
27/04/2021 23:40:57

Hi Diane,

My condolences on losing your dad it must be a trying time. I had to clear away my dad's workshop stuff and I kept some but most of it I had to get rid of.

Your dad's little lathe will have more sentimental value than monetary I would expect and most of the value is because the Myford name was made very popular by the later model 7 and it's iterations. I think that you'd do well to get a couple of hundred for it in that condition.

One thing I do see in the pic is what looks like a fixed steady tucked in the tray under the tail end of the bed. Those are not common and might be worth a few bob. I see it also has a threading dial (long vertical tube with a gear on the bottom, right by the letter F). Might be desirabl to someone.

The cover on the left end should open to expose some gears. There should be loose ones with it so they can be swapped about.

Good luck with your sale, I hope it does well but don't expect too much.

26/04/2021 23:33:57

I think that eye bolt has a piece of rope tied to it with some kind of tension spring attached.

Frustrating having only one angle of view and most of the business end out of sight.

Thread: tapered slots
18/04/2021 23:40:56
Posted by geoff rimmer on 18/04/2021 22:36:17:

im in the process of making a 24 stop dividing head thingy, (dont know what theyre are called), its a 5" chuck mounted to revolve on a heavy angle plate to be used vertical or horizontal, behind the chuck is a flange with 24 tapered slots cut into which a tapered stop locates, tapered milling cutters are big bucks so im looking for alternatives to buying one? any ideas??

The plate with the slots is called a masking plate. Used for rapid indexing.

Thread: Gear
18/04/2021 22:53:42

No problem Mark, whenever you can.

BTW even though the Hardinge stub gears are famous, Hardinge UK certainly used full 22DP gears I have a factory drawing for them.

18/04/2021 17:09:47

The HLV rack is 42 pitches over 6" which is exactly the circular pitch for 22DP.

18/04/2021 12:25:04

Sounds like a 22DP long-addendum gear Alan.

DOH!, I should read all of your post before replying. Hardinge love 22DP gears.  I can reproduce it for you if you like.

Pete.

Edited By Pete Rimmer on 18/04/2021 12:26:49

Thread: What to do with old reamers
16/04/2021 18:10:38
Posted by ega on 16/04/2021 17:43:11:

You could try a method suggested to me by a toolmaker friend for dull hand reamers. He advised that running a carbide rod of suitable diameter inside the flute and pressed against the cutting edge would improve matters.

The principle is no doubt the same as raising a burr on a cabinet maker's scraper.

I've done this to ease the fit on a reamed hole. You don't get much but sometimes it's just enough to make a slip fit really nice.

Thread: Problem with 4 jaw chuck
14/04/2021 19:43:39

Take the jaws out and lat the chuck face down on a surface plate. I bet it will rock like a boat.

More often than not bell-mouthed jaws is actually bent chuck face IMO.

Thread: Lathe DRO
12/04/2021 23:19:04

It's unusual - almost impractical - to have a DRO scale on a compound since it tends to not be used much and even then only over short distances of less than 1 turn for the most part. There is also the complication of space constraints and the fact that the compound rotates meaning that you'll have to have loops of leads that are prone to snagging.

Most of your turning will be done in the X and Z axis, X being across the ways and Z being along them. There are a myriad of functions that a good DRO will provide with scales on X and Z.

Thread: Gear Change Wheels for a Smart & Brown Model A lathe
11/04/2021 13:39:05

Hi David,

What tooth counts do you have on your end gears? The one on the stud and the one on the gearbox. The large idler is of no consequence.

Pete.

Thread: Cleaning a diamond grinding wheel
08/04/2021 17:54:31

Do you mean a CBN wheel, typically a reddy brown colour? If so just use it to grind a sharpening stone like an oil stone. If you mean the type that fits an angle grinder just use it to grind a soft brick or soft concrete block.

Thread: Hauser watchmakers machinery
07/04/2021 23:11:07

Hi William,

That's definitely a Hauser (and beautifully restored). A guy local to me is rebuilding one.

LINK

Thread: Involute tooth depth
07/04/2021 21:25:36
Posted by not done it yet on 07/04/2021 19:12:18:

Good program. I would have expected the pressure angle to be given as 20 degrees, not 14.5.

You can specify but for the purpose it wouldn't matter, the whole depth is the same for both.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
cowells
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest