By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Pete Rimmer

Here is a list of all the postings Pete Rimmer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Denford viceroy
15/09/2019 23:31:09

Removing the small nuts will release the bed from the cabinet IIRC the studs poke through the larger 'nuts'. If it's an underdrive model you'll still have the belt to think of and if it's a 280VS or Synchro there will be some electrics to take care of too before the bed will come off. Interlock switches, lo-volt light etc.

Thread: Thread Size Help
15/09/2019 23:14:32

If you can single point that small cut a 3/32"-40tpi thread in silver steel, harden, grind 3 sides to make a tap then use the tap to make a nut. Cut the same thread in your part.

Thread: Need help with meddling pillar drill.
15/09/2019 11:40:47

I would suspect the extension lead first even given the test results.Several times at work I have tested leads which showed voltage at the socket but only had a few whiskers of conductor connected at the plug or socket so could not run the machine they were supplying.

Plug something else into the lead which has a fairly heavy draw, like a vacuum cleaner or heavy portable tool.
That will confirm for sure that the lead is not at fault.

Thread: ACME thread identification question.
14/09/2019 23:05:57
Posted by S.D.L. on 14/09/2019 22:04:13:
Posted by Pete Rimmer on 14/09/2019 21:44:44:

I guess you'd need to find an ex-employee from the factory for that, or a drawing.

BTW I had an Denford TDS1 and the cross slide thread on that was clearly cut (or at least finished) with a die. The marks where the die stopped were plain to see.

How are you sure it was a die? Threads cut with an Anjest attachment have a run out like a die as do modern CNC threads no need for an undercut with either.

Steve

I'm not sure, just how it appeared to me. I figured if it was done with an auto knock-off device then the marks would be right at the end of the thread. This appeared to be cut further along then finished slightly short of the end. I only mention it as a matter of interest really.

14/09/2019 21:44:44

I guess you'd need to find an ex-employee from the factory for that, or a drawing.

BTW I had an Denford TDS1 and the cross slide thread on that was clearly cut (or at least finished) with a die. The marks where the die stopped were plain to see.

14/09/2019 20:32:26

ACME is standardised in imperial units but the form can be used for metric leads. If you were cutting the thread to a metric lead you'd have to convert the lead to inch pitch then grind the tool nose width appropriately. However, if you were rolling that metric thread you'd have to have a non-standard set of rolls manufactured.

Since the vast majority of the early Boxfords were inch screws I wonder if they had the metric threads cut but the inch ones rolled for cost purposes?

14/09/2019 12:48:10

Here's the drawing, as found in the files section of the Boxford Yahoo group.

14/09/2019 10:06:20

I think it's fair to postulate that the thread rolling was farmed out simply because the drawing only specifies the blank diameter for rolling, not the specific tolerances for the rolled thread which you would expect would be on the drawing if the rolling were done in house. The integral gear on the other hand has those specifics listed on the drawing.

I'll see if I can dig it out and post it.

The South Bend lathe that the Boxford was copied from had cut threads which we know because Larry Vanice has the leadscrew cutting machine they used at the factory.

Thread: PayPal Warning
13/09/2019 12:46:57
Posted by speelwerk on 13/09/2019 10:32:24:

On the Dutch PayPal site under the heading "Payments" (Betalingen) you can stop authorising Ebay to automatically debit your account. Niko.

I just checked and I have this option too.

For anyone wanting to check it out, log in to Paypal, click the little gearwheel icon top right to go into settings, click Payments, look under eBay refunds and disputes. You can turn it on or off as you prefer.

13/09/2019 11:16:48

The Boxford drawing specifies that the threads are plunge rolled - for the imperial leadscrews at least.

Full marks to Tracy tools for an excellent customer service. Many would be happy to just sell an unwitting customer anything they asked for even if it was clear that it was probably not what they required. Clearly, Tracy tools places more value on their customer's satisfaction than your average supplier. Good show!

Edited By Pete Rimmer on 13/09/2019 11:21:19

Thread: Vickers Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon of 1917
08/09/2019 02:11:20

Nice work Mal - a true labour of love.

BTW those breech threads look very similar to a smashed-up 6" gun I saw that was part of Germany's defence system on Jersey in WW2. The threads themselves look very straightforward to cut, apparently just a 90-degree vee form (interrupted, obviously). What is not so simple is the shape of the cutouts, which are shaped to allow the breech plug to swing in.

I added an album with the relevant pics, which are woefully lacking in detail but it's all I have from my visit in 2011. Also of interest is the bunker below the gun has been preserved and contains many rescued artefacts from the war, including a stack of 6" shells. As far as I know this is all still there to see. the bunker is (or was back then) opened up for free tours one Sunday each month in the summer. I was very lucky to have bumped into the tour guide in my hotel.

Keep up the great work on the model!

Pete.

Thread: Dumb question from a none driver
05/09/2019 13:19:02
Posted by FMES on 05/09/2019 11:40:47:

Neil,

'Patently Absurd'?? Whos name needs to be on the V5 on taking up posession of the vehicle?, who will get the notification to tax.

I was advised from Swansea, some years ago admittedly, that the 'owner' was the person purchasing the vehicle as new (as declared at first registration on the V5) and paying the relevent purchase taxes / VAT etc, secondary transactions between private individuals are not recorded in the same way hence the description of 'Registered Keeper'.

Regards

That's just DVLA's method of explaining the difference between owner and keeper for THEIR PURPOSES so that even the slowest-witted person could 'get it'. There's nothing magical about vehicles that makes the ownership of them different to the ownership of any other material thing.

05/09/2019 09:28:14
Posted by Steambuff on 02/09/2019 12:54:47:

Since you registered the car in your name you are the Keeper ....

But, since you gave your wife the car as a present .... She is now the owner!

Dave

Only until the tyres need air, the engine needs oil or the wiper blades need changing Dave :D

Thread: help with gear calculations
03/09/2019 00:30:31

I don't think Howard is suggesting that, he's saying that given the obvious wear in the handwheel pinion and the reported noisy headstock gears he's hoping for your sake that the screwcutting gearbox at least is in good condition so that you may have the full range of feeds and cutting pitches.

02/09/2019 14:00:47

Well yes I realise that it would take nothing more than a small adjustment in half depth or tip width and it IS very small but still there must be a drawing that says more than 7/16" ACME 2.5mm pitch LH. They specified the OD for the blank for rolling the thread on the imperial cross slide screw to 4 decimals.

02/09/2019 13:25:12

For a thread like that there must have been a factory drawing showing the departure from spec for thread cutting depth on both the nut and the screw although the screws were rolled which begs the question how did they roll an ACME thread at a non-standard pitch or why would they even do that when you could roll a trapezoidal thread on the non-standard diameter without having to have non-standard rolls made.

Somebody somewhere must have that drawing.

02/09/2019 01:16:06
Posted by Paul Kemp on 01/09/2019 22:45:57:

Apparently this is a legal principle of insurance that you can't insure something against loss unless you are the legal owner and it is you that will suffer from a loss.

Paul.

My wife's car that I bought new is registered in my name but my wife is the only driver and she has a fully comp policy on it. It was done like this because I bought it for her as a birthday surprise. The insurer knows this and is perfectly happy with it. I am the owner, she is the insured.

Thread: Binding leadscrew.
31/08/2019 15:03:35

I think that it's much more likely that one of the hangers are twisted. There's loads of ways you can check this but if tooling is minimal here's one way that needs just a good ruler.

Block up one end of the screw so you can remove the hanger without it drooping. Now measure from the screw to the machined face on the bed casting (allowing for any sloppy play at the other end) and compare that distance both ends. It should be the same. Do the same both ends until you find out which end holds the screw off-parallel to the bed. Now swap the hangers. If the problem swaps ends it's the hanger that's at fault. If not then it's the main bed casting.

31/08/2019 13:53:23
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 31/08/2019 13:15:36:

Hi Pete, However, when the transfer is registered any tax against that reference number will become null and void.

Regards Nick.

Yep, and to put icing on the cake, the registered keeper gets the refund, not the person who paid.

My guess is the transfer was done online, the V5C will turn up in a few days and the son will be the properly registered keeper and the vehicle properly taxed. Most likely option since the alternative would require someone to relinquish the vehicle whilst retaining liability for any fines it might accrue.

31/08/2019 13:07:26
Posted by Dave Halford on 31/08/2019 12:12:17:

How was tax sorted out when it seems to be not registered correctly?

DVLA don't care where the money comes from, all they want is the reference number off the V5C (which the new keeper should not even have) and a payment from somewhere, and that the vehicle be insured. Doesn't have to be the owner or keeper that pays.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Advertise With Us
Meridienne Sept 2019
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest