By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Pete Rimmer

Here is a list of all the postings Pete Rimmer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How badly do I need a surface plate?
21/07/2019 12:38:51

Glass and granite worktops are fine for marking out, but not much good as a reference surface for scraping. The main reason is that whilst it MIGHT be flat enough it almost certainly isn't and then any bend twist or dish that's in the plate will be scraped into the part.

Edited By Pete Rimmer on 21/07/2019 12:39:06

Thread: Cast iron - 160mm dia
20/07/2019 13:17:57

Steel makes perfectly adequate chuck backplates, and it is stronger than cast iron. Cast iron is cheap which is why it continues to be so prevalent. Easy to cast into a rough shape then machine to a finished article. Cast steel is not nearly so easy to make.

Thread: Best way to cut HSS tool blanks from bar?
17/07/2019 06:26:37
Posted by Jim Curry on 16/07/2019 23:30:34:

Tidy job there, Pete. Did you make the bit-holder too?

Thanks Jim. Yes it's just a bit of inch bar about 8" long, with some flats milled in it and cross-drilled for the tool bits. In hindsight 8mm was a poor choice as it limits the range of HSS tooling I can use (hence the rather nice drill being butchered), but I had a broken 8mm carbide end mill to use in it originally. Broken carbide end mills make for great lathe tools, if it does take a good while to grind them to shape on a diamond wheel.

16/07/2019 18:13:31

I rough out all my HSS tools with a thin grinder disc. It puts much less heat in than the bench grinder. I even made this tool last week by cutting a 8mm drill bit and roughing the shape with my mini grinder before finishing the tool on my grinder to cut a 4TPI Whitworth thread.

Edited By Pete Rimmer on 16/07/2019 18:16:52

Thread: Engineers blue alternatives
16/07/2019 13:57:01
Posted by Douglas Johnston on 16/07/2019 11:04:46:

I have been trying out some scraping lately and saw on youtube that some people use a roller on the surface plate to spread the blue indicator over the surface. I was thinking about trying that but can't find any reference for the type of roller needed. There seem to be hard rubber rollers and soft rubber ones and probably ones in between. Is there a scraping mastermind out there that can recommend a suitable type of roller?

Doug

You can use a foam roller or an ink roller (plastic roller with a rubber sleeve over it). The foam gloss rollers work OK for water based spotting blues but I prefer the ink roller for oil based like stuarts. When rolling out the ink I tend to load the roller by putting a db of blue on a small plate and rolling it out then using the loaded roller to lie the part or plate.

Thread: Recent threads
15/07/2019 10:25:29
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 15/07/2019 09:39:04:
Posted by Pete Rimmer on 14/07/2019 21:07:46:

It's quite easy Dave. Look at what's been said or written and consider if it was sent in a manner designed to cause offence. It's usually very easy to tell.

"So, we all know what S.P.C stands for don't we?" I put my hand up and said "Stupid Political Correctness".

Not sure it is easy to spot what's offensive; IanSC quoted this example:

'anything refering to gentlemen reminds me of a famous speech to the military at the beginning of WW2 by a certain RAF Air Vice Marshal sent by London to set up our Air Force for war. He started the speech "men and boys of the army and navy, and gentle men of the air force". I think that is all of the speech that was remembered by anyone, and it caused a major rift in the forces for a number of years, here maybe more back then all were/are concidered equal, in fact NZ servicemen during the war ,when serving in UK often got a bit of stick, as the men and officers were sometimes a bit too "friendly".'

Early in World War 2, Britain was close to defeat and needed all the help she could get. At the time New Zealand was still a 'Dominion', which meant the country was self-governing in all but Defence. The UK declaring war on Germany meant New Zealand was also at war with Germany, but Dominions like Canada, Australia and New Zealand were under no obligation to do anything about it. The extent to which New Zealand committed blood and treasure was their decision, not London's. Goodwill is essential, especially when men are being asked to fight. Now it's unlikely the AVM was sent to put colonials in their place, rather the opposite. He caused offence by using the word 'gentlemen' in the wrong context. No excuses - although New Zealanders might be more sensitive than Brits about class distinctions, careless use of 'gentlemen' could and did cause offence in 1940 England. It was a gaffe, still remembered in New Zealand 80 years later! And Alan picked up on Martin innocently using the same word to start this thread.

Another way of understanding the need for care is to turn it on it's head. Why are Pete, Howard, and others so upset when told they cannot say what they like? Bandersnatch puts it well:

Seeking to impose, on others, one person's view of "correctness" in this respect is, well, wrong imo (in my opinion). That's mostly what's wrong with today's world already.

BUT, if you think it's OK to say what you think, then don't be offended when someone returns the complement. Pete made the remark about "Stupid Political Correctness" because he didn't like being on the receiving end. By banning 'SPIC' in the workplace, his employer was - in effect - telling Pete he was a rude ignoramus, not trusted to get on with colleagues without abusing them. That's pretty offensive! Same for anyone who picks up a newspaper and finds they are a social pariah. However, what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. If you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have joined...

Odd I think, when chaps who see no harm delivering 'banter' are upset when they get bollocked for it!

As I'm such a loveable inoffensive chap, its hard to believe that SillyOldDuffer has a Personnel File that mentions 'arrogance' as a shortcoming. Clearly an injustice. Obviously I think I'm a workshop genius because I've read Madame Bovary and can work a computer but the truth is most of what I know about machining has been nicked off the forum. Respect to you all.

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 15/07/2019 09:39:22

I'm not upset about not being able to say what I like. Generally I don't try to deliberately offend people any more than I deliberately go out of my way to make sure I don't use words that could be used in an offensive context. I can tell the difference between an acronym and an insult. If someone took issue with my use of the acronym, I would simply say that I'm sorry that you're upset.

14/07/2019 21:07:46

It's quite easy Dave. Look at what's been said or written and consider if it was sent in a manner designed to cause offence. It's usually very easy to tell.

Here's an example - if I said that I didn't have the manpower to do a particular job, it doesn't mean that I don't consider women capable of doing that job, it just means that I don't have enough people for it. I used a long-standing term which isn't designed to be discriminatory just passing comment that I'm under-staffed. I wouldn't worry about any possible 'offence' it might cause because I didn't intend any, even though there are the those who would seize the chance to take it.

Another real-life example is the banning of the use of the acronym SPIC, which had always been used to refer to the Site Person In Charge on the railway. During a refresher course they said that it's no longer acceptable to use the term SPIC because it's a derogatory term and offensive to people of Spanish origin. I said no, it's an acronym. "Anyway, they changed it to S.P.C so in the training course we'll be using the term S.P.C not 'that other term'."

"So, we all know what S.P.C stands for don't we?" I put my hand up and said "Stupid Political Correctness".

14/07/2019 19:46:17
Posted by Brian Sweeting on 14/07/2019 15:36:33:

I think it is difficult to be non-offending to everyone due to the nature of us all.

Brian

Only because so many see offence where none is given. If a person's comments are not delivered in a manner designed to give offence, they should not worry about it being given unintentionally.

Edited By Pete Rimmer on 14/07/2019 19:46:55

Thread: MEW 283 Electronic Leadscrew link
12/07/2019 17:31:06
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 11/07/2019 12:59:44:

Most sans-serif fonts are poor at distinguishing between distinguishing between I and l.

Neil

Indeed, and back in the win95/98 days there was a trojan virus which installed itself as rundIl.exe, which looked exactly like rundll.exe and so was hard to spot.

Thread: idler pulley with spring loading
11/07/2019 20:51:26

Spring loading a belt tensioner isn't a great idea. When the load comes on the belt pushes the idler back and it slips anyway or they can start reciprocating. It's far better to make the pulley adjustable with the facility to be fixed in position.

A pic or a link to the machine would help a lot. It's hard to give advice without knowing what space constraints or mounting options you have.

Thread: Mains outlets with USB sockets - safety?
08/07/2019 17:10:12

I don't know what could possibly go wrong....

Edited By Pete Rimmer on 08/07/2019 17:10:45

Thread: Scraping
30/06/2019 18:05:46

Where are you George? I have taught the basics of scraping to several people and they have taken it from there to improve their machines. My time is precious but if you're near North Kent and desperate to learn I could find a few hours spare.

Thread: Using a lathe
29/06/2019 23:23:22

Of course it's not illegal. I'll-advised if not supervised perhaps but not illegal at all, unless it's in the workplace. In the workplace no child can operate any machinery where it " involves risk of accidents that cannot reasonably be recognised or avoided by young people due to their insufficient attention to safety or lack of experience or training". A manual lathe would certainly qualify for that.

Thread: Gear Measuring
29/06/2019 14:19:05
Posted by Graham Mcconnell on 29/06/2019 10:52:44:

Hi. This is my first post so I hope it's in the right category!

I'm trying to rebuild a mini digger and 1 of the track drives is missing a few gears. I've searched for the digger manufacturer (CME) and the drive manufacturer (Oildrive) with absolutely no luck, so my only options seems to be, buy a gear and machine the bore to suit or make the gear, which I'd perfer not to do as it probably needs to be hardened in some way.

The gears are on the final stage reduction and it's missing the 3 planet gears. I've took the other drive apart and measured the gear, and I got a overall diameter of 62.8mm with 25 teeth, it's also 12mm thick. Plugging these numbers into some online gear calculators seem to suggest a mod number of 2.37?

I have a copy of Ivan law's "Gear and gear cutting" and now I'm even more lost! I seem to require the "PCD" dimension but I've no idea how to measure that. The sun gear is also very worn , so I'm unsure about taking any measurements off that. Any advise you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Graham

It's very close to 11DP (less than half a mm out on the OD) but I think that planetary drive gears are bound to be non-standard whichever way. Stick the gear on a flatbed scanner and take a greyscale scan of it at about 200dpi. Post the pic.

Edited By Pete Rimmer on 29/06/2019 14:19:22

Thread: Do you clean your workshop at the end of the day?
28/06/2019 19:07:14

I like to keep my workshop moderately tidy. I have a good bit of bench space and like to keep it clear so that anything I strip down doesn't get lost or scattered.

Swarf is easy to keep control of, I put on gloves and shovel handfuls into a waiting rubble bag then use a Numatic hoover to clean up the small bits Works for the lathe and the mill alike.. I sweep then hoover the floor (with the same numatic), takes half a minute. I don't keep the place pristine but I do hate losing stuff just because it's fallen into a mess. Plus the wife really gets annoyed if I walk swarf into the house.

27/06/2019 06:09:23
Posted by Mark Rand on 26/06/2019 23:14:54:

Connelly Refers to the 'half moon' oil retention process as frosting and the 'blocks of squares' decorative process as flaking.

Personally, I think he's got that bass-ackwards, but he wrote a book and I didn't.

Any company that puts half moon type gouges on the visible (and thereby subject to dust and grit) surfaces of ways should be sued for sabotaging their own products...

I guess that I call flaking an oil retention process because Biax produce a tool for doing it and call it a flaker :D

Thread: Multi faceted drill bits - really necessary?
26/06/2019 20:27:52

The main reason for 4-facets instead of just 2 is if you were to only cut the primary angle the tool will foul the work at the heel (behind the cutting edge). The secondary angle (which creates the four facet drill) is necessary for that extra clearance.

26/06/2019 19:49:32
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 26/06/2019 14:43:32:

Posted by Martin Kyte on 26/06/2019 12:41:11:

... so in order to indicate the purpose it's better use the term frosting.

Martin,

Have you considered the wide range of available definitions of 'frosting' ?

angel MichaelG.

It's subjective, I would call frosting a decorative process, flaking an oil-retention process and scraping a fitting & alignment process but that doesn't mean the next guy agrees just like different people would call my bacon roll a cob a barm or a teacake. What counts is whether or not it's done appropriately IMO.

25/06/2019 19:57:35

Isn't Scraping the process of achiving truly flat mating surfaces and Frosting the process of creating minute shallow pockets to hold oil? So really a ground surface would not be scraped but frosted (even though you do it with a scraper).

Just saying ;0)

regards Martin

Yes indeed. Scraping cuts are typically .0002" deep. Flaking (or frosting) cuts five to ten times that.

Thread: small belts
23/06/2019 19:54:57

Get the right length and appropriate pitch poly-vee belt and cut it down to the width you need. I've done that to replace a round belt on the narrow pulleys. Works wonderfully well.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Meridienne Sept 2019
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest