By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Matthew Davenhill

Here is a list of all the postings Matthew Davenhill has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Assessing machine wear
27/08/2018 10:32:55

point

hi all,

A straightt forward question I hope! I’m stripping a Bridgeport and it’s seen a shift or two! On each of the machines ways there seems to be what I assume are machined datum surfaces either side of the dove tail. So for the question ! How do I assess the wear and what kit do I need?

Thread: Bridgeport
29/05/2018 21:56:31

Some indication of wear, can see some remnants of scraping on the rear slide, thanks for the advice both.

David- I think I have a copy in pdf format, also have the lion industries book. Don’t really want to scrap it, more because I’m not sure where to start!

28/05/2018 22:47:18

Hi

I’m in the process of stripping and cleaning a Bridgeport j2, all works but showing a fair amount of wear. Other than scrapping or re scraping the ways, any advice on working with worn machines?

Thread: Tool grinding
04/06/2017 08:34:03

looking at buying a new grinder, has any one found a better way of doing it that a traditional two wheel grinder? I.e. Something like this. http://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach-tiger2000s-200mm-whetstone-sharpening-honing-machine-230v/40540

In addition has anyone found a rest that you can set the angle on for sale, I know there are lots of DIY designs out there, or found a bench grinder with a system or the angle already marked?

Thread: 3 jaw chuck run out after machining
30/05/2017 21:56:12

Tipped tool ,about 3 thou cut an inch from the chuck

30/05/2017 21:48:22

This is the reading on the freshly machines surface, any thoughts on the cause? The mounting surfaces are clean.

30/05/2017 19:37:23

Hi,

I'm in the process of commissioning my lathe, when I place a dti on a machined length of bright bar which has been turned in a 3 jaw, I get around 0.02mm run out on the machined surface. Does this sound acceptable?

Edited By Matthew Davenhill on 30/05/2017 19:38:30

Thread: Accuracy of an old machine
30/05/2017 19:31:56

Thanks for the input, it turns out a gasket I had installed on the saddle was too thick and was removing clearance out of the leadscrew, it was slightly rubbing the lead screw and causing it to lift the saddle and alter the cut

02/05/2017 09:45:28

I've checked headstock play in accordance with the Lang manual, initially I put a piece of bar in the chuck and used a length of wood against the ways to lift; however, Lang recommend an end load test of 200lbs from which you determine play with a DTI. I've don't this and it shows 1 thou which is within the tollerence allowed by Lang.

01/05/2017 22:23:55

All,

Thanks for the advice thus far, in response to one of the comments, I have the manual from lathes.co.uk. I've done a little more work, unsupported the machine cuts parallel for around 75mm but the suddenly cuts a .05mm taper towards the headstock over the remaining 75mm. (I.e. The dia of the work piece reduces) I did wonder about bed wear but surely it would do the opposite? It has been mentioned that the headstock could be out of alignment, I'm a little sceptical my self. I've put a new gasket between the saddle and the carriage, I did wonder if that could be causing issues. Any thoughts ??

Matt

24/04/2017 22:48:24

To test for play in the bearings it states the following in the below photo, any idea where I can get a 200lb spring

24/04/2017 22:44:07

24/04/2017 08:15:55

Hi all,

Some welcome thoughts, its a Lang j6 13" swing. I supect the bearing need adjustment too, I've placed a bar in the chuck and lifted the chuck with a piece of 2x4, there seems to be about .003 play. The bearings have shims in that have to be ground to remove the play. The problem Is i don't have a surface grinder. Also at some point the tool post has been run into the headstock, I'm therefore a little concerned it's shifted the gear head; however I'm a little loathed to start messing with that without concrete evidence it needs adjustment.

I've borrowed a test bar a few weeks ago; however the accuracy of it seemed a little jubious. My next action was going to be to buy a new test bar with a morse taper and stick it in the spindle. This leads on to my next problem, I don't have a reduction sleeve, in the manual it talks of it being a morse taper reducing to mt3; I've tried a 5-3 and it's too small the next size up will be too big. Any advice on where to buy one? I could try to make one on said machine I guess.

23/04/2017 21:15:12

I've just turned down a 2" piece en3b, it's showing around 1.5 -2 thou variation over 6" the variation seems to kick in around 3" from the chuck, bed wear I suspect. The material was turned unsupported an thoughts guys? Further to marks comments, How much would It cost to grind the bed and where would undertake such a task? Thanks for the advice guys.

23/04/2017 18:48:58

hi,

I have a rather sturdy 1960s lathe which I'm in the process of refurbishing. My question is, it's seen a few shifts, what level of accuracy is good enough for general machinhing, say 2 tho over 6-8-12 inches?i get that in an ideal world parallel is the answer; however I don't think that's attainable without some expensive work.

Thread: Bridgeport and transwave
29/03/2017 22:27:35

Hi all,

I'm a bit new to this, I ve just acquired a transwave static converter for my bridgeport j2b as it was going for the right price. The bridgeport seems to have 5 core SWA where as the transwave receives 4 core. How should this be connected. I will probably get a sparky in however I'm curious. Hope this makes sense.

Matt

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowbells
Warco
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Meridenne Boat 2019
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest