By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Henry Artist

Here is a list of all the postings Henry Artist has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Is it ok the hold a small lathe chuck in a larger one
07/04/2017 10:14:31

Depending on the size of the larger chuck you may also like to consider using a six sided collet block if you need to hold round stock...

**LINK**

Thread: Encouraging new hobbyists
07/04/2017 10:02:26
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 06/04/2017 21:43:16:

Posted by Henry Artist on 06/04/2017 20:29:19:

Someone entering the world of model engineering today is more likely to buy a mini-lathe (C3, CJ18A, etc.) than a Myford. When was the last time Model Engineer magazine ran articles on making models specifically with a mini-lathe?

The truth is there's not much you can do on a Myford you can't do on a mini-lathe, the only real difference in capability is the lack of a gap so most Anthony Mount designs (with 8" flywheels) are mini-lathe no-nos!

Very few projects are machine specific, really they tend to require a certain minimum centre height and almost all turning projects in ME and MEW can be done on any 3 1/2" centre height machine.

For the record my Southam build which is being serialised in ME was made on a Mini Lathe and an X2 milling machine, as were my previous model builds in ME.

Neil

That's good to know Neil. laughyes

Most of the people I encounter who wish to become involved in model engineering have NO engineering background whatsoever. They never learned it at school or college, never saw it in their daily work. Indeed they seem to come from every walk of life except engineering! There may be a distant childhood memory of playing with a Mamod engine or Meccano but that's about it.

Often they have become involved in toy steam and wish to progress to model steam. There's not a lot out there for these people to help them make the transition and they are often acting in isolation. They don't know anyone in the real world they can go along and talk to in person. Forums like this one can be a useful resource of infomation for absolute beginners, especially if it has an easy-to-find "How To..." section. You'd be amazed at how young* people would much prefer to look up information on the web rather than go read a book.

Questions I often get asked include:

• Where can I buy a boiler kit?
  • Where can I find plans for things for my engines to run?
  • Where can I buy pre-machined kits?
  • How do I make boiler bushes/fittings?
  • How can I make a displacement lubricator?
  • How do I soft solder steam pipes?
  • How do I fit a gas burner to my toy steam boiler?

As has already been pointed out most model engineering clubs and societies have a distinct predilection for railways which operate outdoors. Given the unpredictable nature of our climate engines, devices, models and other contraptions which can be run indoors on a table top hold a significant appeal especially if they are easy to construct and operate. This is, after all, about encouraging people into the hobby...

*From my perspective anyone under the age of 40 years is "young".

06/04/2017 20:29:19

One of the biggest stumbling blocks for people wanting to get into model engineering is the percieved cost of setting up a small workshop. Another is what they can then, as novices, construct with the tools they can afford.

Someone entering the world of model engineering today is more likely to buy a mini-lathe (C3, CJ18A, etc.) than a Myford. When was the last time Model Engineer magazine ran articles on making models specifically with a mini-lathe?

I believe more people could be encouraged to take up the hobby if the makers of casting kits offered pre-machined flywheels. Bengs Modellbau do this but no-one else seems to have realised it is a good idea.

Another thing not yet mentioned in this thread is the role toy steam can play in getting people interested in model engineering. Mamod, Jensen and Wilesco are alive and well and still making wonderful steam toys. Of the three only Wilesco offer an extensive range of accessories and tinplate toys that can be driven by toy steam engines. I think it would be a good idea if plans were published of simple accessories and devices that can be driven by small engines. Sometimes people need inspiration...

Thread: Musing About Oils
06/04/2017 19:14:56

Rapeseed oil is still sold as an inexpensive vegetable oil by other supermarkets in UK.

I know this because I had to buy some last week. I mix it with 460 grade Steam Cylinder Oil for use as a general lubricant on my little steam engines. smiley

Thread: Beginners lathe
05/04/2017 10:15:33

Something else to consider...

Not everyone who has an interest in model engineering is fortunate enough to have a garage or shed they can install a lathe and other machinery in. Some people live in small apartments often up several flights of stairs. A small lathe which is compact and light enough to be put away in a cupboard when not in use may be more practical than a larger lathe.

Having a lathe you can make things with is better than having no lathe at all...

02/04/2017 23:57:35

Well I do have a Sieg C0 so I'd like to offer my thoughts on it...

The Sieg C0 is effectively an updated version of the Unimat 3 with a more powerful motor and few other refinements. It is a perfectly good (if tiny) model engineering lathe. I got mine from Arc and it came with their tailstock adaptor which neatly gets round the tailstock alignment issues some people encounter. I originally bought it to make fittings for my small toy and model steam boilers. I quickly realised that it could do a whole lot more...

I added a compound slide and an Emco QCTP (quick change tool post) which allows me to use 8mm indexable tooling. Most Unimat accessories are compatible with the C0. Unlike the Sherline and Taig lathes which are made from aluminium the C0 is made from steel and cast iron. Because its physical dimensions are small it is very rigid and therefore surprisingly accurate.

There is no thread cutting facility on this little lathe but such tasks can be handled with taps and dies. Tailstock travel is only 20mm. The maximum diameter it can turn is 50mm though you'd be surprised just how many things that model engineers want to make fit within that dimension. Cuts have to be very light which means it can take a while to make something but if you're using it for a hobby is that such a handicap?

If you plan on retiring to your shed and building a Stuart Major Beam this is not the lathe for you. However, for making small parts it's fantastic.

Thread: New Member
22/03/2017 21:55:58

Thank you for the warm welcome. face 1

My interest in model engineering as a hobby was reignited just a few years ago. It all started when like everyone-and-his-brother I built an Opitec 420...

22/03/2017 05:07:20

Hello. * Friendly wave *smiley

I am Henry and I have been making all kinds of models for a long, long time. I do like small steam engines and have a particular interest in toy steam. I have a modest collection of Mamod, Wilesco and Microcosm engines as well as things I have made myself in my tiny workshop.

I have many projects on the go. Some are waiting for parts, others for funds, and in some cases for enlightenment to happen... wink

I look forward to meeting you all and joining in discussions on the forum.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
cowells
ChesterUK
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest