By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Faulkner

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Faulkner has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Milling Machine advise
23/04/2019 21:41:34

Seen a few xyz, was not sure on the quality but will add it to the list.

Bob astill, thank you for the link and checked him out. The mills seem to be a reasonably priced and will give him a call. Some stuff seems a little high priced on the welding side but I may be able to deal.

Thank you

22/04/2019 19:36:26

I am not afraid of a bit of work to get a good machine. I purchased a boxford lathe from a fire damaged workshop and is now up and fully functional with a small amount of backlash that I need to address.

I would not take on a full project again due to time and the financial demand. Ideally I would like a good useable machine.

Not sure what others brands to really look out for. The ones I have been looking at are the bridgeport, krv, Harrison and warco.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be happy to take a look at them

Thank you in advance everyone

20/04/2019 20:56:24

Hello all,

I am not a machinist by trade and may be presented with the chance to purchase a milling machine but not sure what direction to take. I have been searching the net and found a few Bridgeport machines that vary wildly in price then I have seen the Warco machines.

I am looking to use it to square up, drill out hole patterns, general milling and if possible, skim engine heads (4cyl).

What are peoples views on this? As this will be my only chance to purchase one, I would like to get something that will last. Cosmetic condition is not an issue as long as it has very little play in the machine.

Don't mind traveling for the right one, but north west is preffered.

Thank you in advance and have a good easter

Thread: Mercer British
02/08/2018 20:13:24
Posted by Carl Wilson 4 on 02/08/2018 14:12:11:
Hi Martin,

My brother got a new to him Emco lathe and it had a dial travel indicator on it that needed a service.

He enquired of Doubleboost Re Bob and he did the job for him. To say thanks my brother sent some bits, a few drills, de burning tool, circlip pliers I think, which the Boost used in one of his Sunday give aways.

Cheers Carl,

Think i will pluck up the courage to ask. I know you dont get owt without asking but i dont know the chap.

02/08/2018 20:11:56
Posted by larry phelan 1 on 02/08/2018 18:51:27:

Am I alone in feeling that Europe and England seriously underestimated both the Japanese and the Chinese in more ways than one ?

Not at all,

We have been good at inventing things, its just the Japanese and the Chinese are better at refining. I suspect it is from their schooling and their want to grow. The thing that gets me is that i can purchase BSW bolts from china, cheaper than the uk. Nowt like save the enviroment.

02/08/2018 20:04:50
Posted by Circlip on 02/08/2018 09:19:10:

Wonder why I bothered to post a link?????? Err I think KRV who signs his name Bob MIGHT be the same guy. (I know darned well it IS)

Don't think he knows much about Rovers, unless he has a dog.

Regards Ian

Ian,

Thanks for the posting the link. I did read the thread and did darw a good concluson it was Bob. I struggle to just message people asking for help. Your time was not wasted nor ignored.

As for rover, i am not sure. I do have a dog called dave.

01/08/2018 22:24:08
Posted by Carl Wilson 4 on 01/08/2018 20:33:21:
Doubleboost who posts on you tube has a friend called Bob who refurbishes and repairs dti's and the like.

You could try asking Doubleboost to see if his friend would have a spare part. He is usually very obliging.

Doubleboost is generally found on the mig welding forum, as am I.

Hi Carl,

Thank you for that, i have seen 99% of John's videos and heard Bob mentioned a lot. There are a few steam rallyes near me and was hoping to catch up with John one day and say hi.

Not knowing Bob, i thought it would a little beyond the line just dropping him a message and asking. I know i would not mind but i know some people do. To be honest seeing some of his work that John showed it seems first rate and did think of Bob.

01/08/2018 19:51:09

Thank you for all your comments, some interesting things to read through. Slightly off topic, i do feel that a lot of the engineering industry has gone from this country and we have become a nation of "throw aways" with the introduction of off shore items flooding the uk. Please dont get me wrong, i am currently typing on one and have no issues with it but I have restored a few Rovers (P4,s) many years ago and from what i remember of them, i can see why they did not last. However before i start to ramble and start to hit the political side of things, its best i get back on subject.

Marcus, i have added some pictures of the DTi in question, please forgive my guesstermaters, they were to hand and may be out a few thou. I would like to resore it and get it fully working again.

01/08/2018 18:33:07
20180801_154003.jpgPosted by Marcus Bowman on 01/08/2018 07:45:14:

Can you post a photo of the instrument and the damaged/missing part?

01/08/2018 18:32:38
20180801_153909.jpgPosted by Marcus Bowman on 01/08/2018 07:45:14:

01/08/2018 18:31:51
20180801_153843.jpgPosted by Marcus Bowman on 01/08/2018 07:45:14:

31/07/2018 23:21:56

Michael,

An interesting read, thank you very much for that. I had no idea it was Thomas Mercer. As it closed over 30 years ago, I don't think I will find a cover for it. If anyone can recommend someone who could repair it it would be appreciated.

31/07/2018 20:14:02
What ever happened to Mercer British? As I understand, Mercer is a Swiss company. Did they purchase Mercer from the UK? The reason I ask is that I am looking for a new cover for my old Mercer back plunge dti.

On the rear of the dti, it has k1915 stamped. Does anyone know what this means? Thanks in advance
Thread: Making brass and bronze
22/02/2018 19:35:34

Evening all,

I have a lot of copper cable and brass fittings. I need to make some bronze bushes but looking online for bronze billets are expensive. Has anyone tried mixing their own alloys? Any tips for doing it?

Thread: Anyone shed light on this?
22/02/2018 19:26:10

Thank you all,

Armour or high voltage insulation is what I am going for, as for the persons job/history I am still not there. I have one last item which looks to be an aluminium roller with airlx stamped on it and c8 in a dimond shape. Did a Google search with no avail. Any ideas on the stamp marks?

12/02/2018 14:31:19

It is some sort of expanding reamer. Thank you everyone. Apart from the obvious answer, I assume this may have been off a special requirment for this? Anyone with ideas? The only thing I can think of is maybe a rubber bush housing on some form or car/brshed arm?

12/02/2018 14:25:30

Expanding reamer end

12/02/2018 14:25:09

Expanding reamer

12/02/2018 12:59:17

My apoogies, I did not see page 2 and the responses on the reamer. I will clean it up. I think it has been in a box for some years as the back of a shed. Most things do need a good clean but from what I can see most of it is made in the UK or USA. When I have cleaned it, I will post some updates.

12/02/2018 12:51:02

Thank you everyone.

After all the help, I have googled the points given. It is a 4 flute 1/2" tap remover. The small block with roller is indeed for a Capitan lathe. If this of use to anyone, please let me know. It is of no use to me and don't really want to rid of it. I still trying to find information on the reamer. I have a feeling that the knurling tool maybe for the turret on a Capstan lathe. I also have 2 tool holders for it hence my assumption. Thank you for all your help. I am still looking through the rest so there may be more to follow.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Advertise With Us
ChesterUK
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest