By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for larry Phelan

Here is a list of all the postings larry Phelan has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: rotary table problem
04/03/2017 13:04:55

Thanks John,

I did try setting up a three jaw chuck,using the slots,with no better luck.Next time I will try the four jaw. I am just amazed that something like this could make it,s way through inspection [it came with it,s own cert,for what it,s worth ] Makes me wonder about the rest of the stuff out there !

I like your idea regarding the mill,that might be worth a try,since I really could make use of the table now,and at this stage,anything is worth a try.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply,

Larry Phelan.

04/03/2017 11:22:38

Not sure if I,m doing this right,but here goes anyway.

Problem is this,I bought a new rotary table a few years ago but did not get to use it right away,due to a long term illness kicking in.

Later on when I got back to working and began to use the table,I found that it appears to be running off centre,hard to believe,I know. I could not machine even a simple hexagon ! I fitted a test bar in the centre hole and set up a dti and was surprised at the size of the run out. When I contacted the supplier I bought it from,the response was---Yep,you got it ! "Sorry,we no longer stock that product,and we cannot help you". Has anyone got any idea how to correct this? I find it difficult to understand how this could be drilled off centre to begin with. It is useless now except as a paper wt.

Needless to say,it would be totally useless for gear cutting,which is something I had in mind. Any ideas,you guys?

Thread: Bearing missing a ball
03/03/2017 13:48:50

I tried to buy stuff from Alli Express in China,was able to add to my cart ok but could not proceed to the checkout.

Tried everything including trying to get in touch with them,pointless,you just end up talking to a robot. After a long while I gave it up and made a cup of tea and went to bed. Maybe I,m just too old for this kind of thing.

Thread: Nightmare removing 3 jaw chuck
03/03/2017 13:31:13

Hi everyone,

Nice to know that I am not the only one whose chuck gets locked on.Mine often does and I no longer use the back gear to lock the spindle,I lost too many teeth that way.Now,I just clamp a piece of hard wood in the chuck and give it a whack with a lump hammer [the wood,that is,not the chuck! ] Most times it works [mine is a screw on chuck ]

Talking about backup from suppliers !!!! tell me about them !.Once they sell you something,you,re on your own.

If you have a problem later on,you will be told "Sorry,we no longer stock that machine/item/part,or whatever. I,ve been there,had that from some of the biggest suppliers in Model Engineer.,who shall be nameless.

While I,m on my soapbox,does anyone know where I can get a gauge for grinding tool bits for Acme threads ? I know they can be had from America for about 9 dollars but they want 35 dollars extra to post one on. No kidding.,Seems a lot of money for a little bit of tin plate.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate