By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ChrisB

Here is a list of all the postings ChrisB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: VFD - which is best please ?
04/01/2022 13:49:06

Posted by br on 30/12/2021 17:06:26:

Son needs a VFD for a 3 phase motor to use on his Myford 7.

Totally confused by all the different ones so any advice as to most reliable make appreciated please.

Thanks

bill

My lathe a Warco wm280v came with a Delta vfd which has served me well. I have recenty built a 2x72 belt grinder and used an Invertek vfd, this is more expensive than the generic cheap chinese vfds but it appears better built. You might want to build an enclosure for it to limit prevent dust and swarf damaging it.

You can get Ip55 rated vfds but it they are expensive. I opted to seal mine inside a pelicase and duct it's heatsink out. A belt grinder generates a fair amount of metallic dust so it makes sense to protect your vfd, on a lathe placing it away from direct path of oil and swarf should be enough.

Hope this helps.

The vfd as purchased: INVERTEK Optidrive E2 ODE-2-22150-1KB42 1.5kw

20210826_125418.jpg

Enclosure in sealed pelicase.

20211105_111036.jpg

Heat sink isolated from the case and cooled with external air.

20211105_111107.jpg

Thread: 75mm x 2000mm Belt Linisher Build Thread
05/11/2021 13:46:54

Looking good Martin, it looks like it's a lot of work! This summer I built a 50x2000mm (or 2x72" belt grinder of Brian House kits. Much simpler than what you're building tho. What VFD and motor are you using?

Thread: WM18 spindle heat
01/10/2021 14:49:10

Any one replaced the bearings on their WM18 yet? I'm tempted to take it apart and at least inspect the bearings, but my gut tells me to leave it alone once it's not making any noises and rotates freely!

30/09/2021 21:38:57

You got a point there Dave, will check the temperature again with a probe thermometer. I'm sure it was getting very hot though, when changing tools, the endmill was warm but the R8 collet was hot, hot that you won't hold it. The quill was also hot, you could just about touch it for a little while.

From what I read and an interesting video on youtube, the spindle bearings do not really adjust as they are interference fit onto the spindle shaft, so it's meant to run hot.

30/09/2021 19:01:08

The spindle on my WM18 always ran warm (since new) but I have noticed the heat problem is getting worse. I tried an IR thermometer and the spindle is reading 127°C next to the collet. The quill reads 47°C and the cutter and work piece about 54°C. The ambient temp in the shop is around 27°C. The motor does not run hot, so suspecting the bearings are overheating. I'm not sure for how long was the mill running... I normally spend a whole afternoon on and off using the mill.

Has anyone with a similar mill had similar issues with heat? From what I've read it is normal for the spindle to run warm, but mine is way too hot I think.

Is it time for a new set of bearings?

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
25/09/2021 06:22:18

This morning at work, just outside our hangar...a pretty nice line up!

20210925_070549.jpg

Thread: Lathe bed way cover
23/09/2021 11:37:57
Posted by Ebenezer Good on 22/09/2021 21:28:09:

Looks good, have you used it in anger with tipped tools yet? Just wondering if it stands up to hot swarf?

No issues with hot swarf, I have the same type of material on my mill and had it for a couple of years with no issues. The reinforced PVC so far resists oil and heat well.

Thread: Small bandsaw needed
23/09/2021 11:24:23

I got this band saw from Nebes and had it for 4 years now, one of the best investments for my shop. The wheels are cast iron with no rubber so you can lubricate freely extending the blade life. It also has variable speed and is extremely silent. I wouldn't be without it. I have also seen conversions to make it a vertical band saw with a table which I plan to make. The Femi is similar to the Nebes I believe, but not sure if it can take lubrication.

2017-04-23 07.31.36.jpg

Thread: Lathe bed way cover
18/09/2021 16:32:12

Finished this project a while ago and it's been un use of these couple of months. I'm happy with it, cleaning is a breeze and keeps swarf away from the ways effectively.

Messy job,

20210918_124748.jpg

Lots of cleaning to do,

20210918_131730.jpg

5 minutes later

20210918_133143.jpg

Thread: Using a ginding setup on a lathe
02/09/2021 20:27:32
Posted by petro1head on 02/09/2021 11:07:17:
Posted by pgk pgk on 02/09/2021 11:01:21:

Have you considered CBN inserts.. not tried them myself but good for 65HRC (shop-apt.co.uk for example)

pgk

Would this grind a drill?

I have used CBN inserts on my WM280, new are not cheap but you may find used ones with some life left on ebay for cheap. I got a lot of 6 Seco TNMGs for 18 Euro and they were in reasonable condition. They are good for hardened steel but need lots of speed, on my lathe I run it at max speed - I warn you, no swarf will come out, just fireworks!

Thread: Vfd frequency Warco WM290 and WM280v
28/08/2021 14:37:12

Hi Deric,

I have the parameter values for the WM280VF in my photo album. Check them out and see if they are of any help for you.

Chris

Thread: Keeping the workshop cool
23/07/2021 12:45:18

If you spend enough time in the shop you might even get used to the heat! Joking apart, I'm from Malta, current shade temperatures are in the mid to high 30s, a couple of weeks ago temps went up to 43 deg...infernal heat which is really uncomfortable to work in. I would suggest good ventilation as a starter, my workshop is a garage with two opposite doors and with the draft created I can stand 35deg. If ventilation is not possible I would invest in an ac. I intend to install one at some point, but I keep on buying tooling instead!

Thread: Dewpoint
20/07/2021 14:03:05

I get that practically every morning, living on a tiny island the air is inevitably humid almost all year round especially the summer months. Before driving off ac on, wipers on heater on blower and demist max and wait for the coolant temperature to raise!

20/07/2021 14:03:04

I get that practically every morning, living on a tiny island the air is inevitably humid almost all year round especially the summer months. Before driving off ac on, wipers on heater on blower and demist max and wait for the coolant temperature to raise!

Thread: Aluminium
19/07/2021 14:13:01
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 19/07/2021 13:59:53:

The link from SoD doesn't work. Cutting and pasting leads to links for controlling 12V DC motors; which I suspect is a different thread.

Agreed that 1050A is almost pure aluminium. But I'd disagree with it only being useful for foil and labels. I've used it for other applicationsw, such as c ustom dashboards for modified hybrid cars when testing new batteries.

The professionals seem to think it has other uses:

1050A Overview

Andrew

Exactly my thoughts Andrew, not saying 1050 is the only material to choose, the ones mentioned by Dave might also be good. I tend to prefer 1050 because I know it's easy to work with especially for forming, given it's a seat pan I don't see any requirement for high strength, so forming and welding would take priority...imho

19/07/2021 11:36:54
Posted by Dave Smith 14 on 19/07/2021 08:53:49:

1050 is no use for anything except foil and labels being pure Aluminium.

Where did you get that from?!

19/07/2021 06:21:45

If no strength is required, probably the best aluminium to form and weld would be the 1050 series.

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
14/07/2021 16:20:48
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 19/06/2021 21:50:21:

Not really a flaw, more of a compromise. There are limited options for where the locking pins can go. The engineer is supposed to be skilled and qualified on the aircraft type. The designer will take thi into accound when deciding what level of "fool-proofing" is required. As gear locking pins are not a flight safety issue it will have a fairly low priority. You can't make a whole fleet of aircraft potentially heavier (burns more fuel) and more expensive just on the off-chance that a skilled person makes a mistake.
There are much more important items that have similar compromises. There hav been a number of cases of A320 series aircraft taking off without cowlings latched properly. This is despite the flight crew checking them as well as the maintence staff. They painted the latchs to make them more visible, still happened, the put a spring "pusher" inot the system so the two halces would not join just under gravity and it still happens.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5422eb8840f0b6134600008f/dft_avsafety_pdf_501061.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/aircraft-accident-report-1-2015-airbus-a319-131-g-euoe-24-may-2013#download-full-report

I'll wait for the accident report before I comment on the actual incident.

This stuff is part of my day job.

Robert G8RPI.

The report has been issued: **LINK**

An airworthyness directive was issued in 2020 to prevent this occurrence, but probably it was not yet performed on this aircraft as the deadline is 2023. Quite unfortunate.

Regarding the fancowls on the airbus, in 2015 an AD was issued to fit a locking key with a flag on the fwd latch and a techlog entry for its removal. The newer aircraft eliminated the problem altogether as apart from visual indicators on the fan cowl itself, there is also an indication on the cockpit displays.

Thread: working Damascus steel
13/07/2021 16:33:04

I don't have first hand experience machining damascus, but from what I've seen it is perfectly safe to do so as long as the material is sound, in that it has been forged and welded correctly. Pommels are turned and guards are milled.

13/07/2021 14:51:51

You can etch with ferric chloride and instant coffee. You can buy it or make your own as it's quite easy to do, I bought some for etching pcbs, but later did my own. The coffee helps getting a darker etch without going too deep compared to the acid etch.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
rapid Direct
cowells
Warco
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest