By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for R Johns

Here is a list of all the postings R Johns has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Subscriptions
09/10/2020 17:47:43

Greetings.

Just found both of my subscriptions. Also the mail I had in reply has come from a different address to the one mailed via outlook. I have just emailed the address provided here to find out what is happening.

Regards

R Johns

09/10/2020 17:20:03

Basics.

Had letter inviting me to renew ME subscription by DD.

Web site shows MEW renewal date as January next year and a DD should be set up.

Last year by telephone (I am deaf so lots of having to have thongs repeated) I thought that I had set up a DD for both magazines.

Further to that, some time ago I purchased ME magazines individually so that the subscription months matched to make things easier for me. I then renewed both mags the same month albeit it had to be two different transactions. I therefore want to check my subscription end dates as they should both be the same.

Regards

09/10/2020 16:50:50

I am having problems with my ME and MEW subscriptions.

I have emailed the contact page and received a useless one line replay saying they do not deal with subscriptions but failed to point me in the right direction.

I cannot use the advertised phone number as I am deaf.

Thanks in advance

Richard Johns

Thread: Proxon KS230 table saw motor 'kaputt'.
14/08/2020 14:46:03

I had an identical issue with their long neck grinder which was well out of warranty. A capacitor blew. To my surprise after contacting proxxon explaining the light use the machine had compared to the more robust rotary tool of theirs they replaced the unit for free.

Having had numerous proxxon tools I am of the opinion that they don't make them like they use to do.

Thread: Taking a pair of wire cutters to a standard baseball cap
05/08/2020 05:17:48

I say old boy, I wear a cricket cap. No problems this end. Toodle pip.

Thread: Music in the Workshop
03/08/2020 11:12:35

For the last few months I have been turning away to Vera Lynn, other wartime music and Churchill's speeches.

Thread: Today's delivery
30/07/2020 12:36:07

My very first online order was for a computer CD Rom (remember those). It came in a standard CD case. My neighbour alerted me that that had my parcel. They then retrieved a box big enough for a small fridge!

Thread: Govenor drive belts
30/06/2020 13:21:13

Mamod do closed and open ended steel spring belts.

Thread: Useful Tapping Drill feature
24/06/2020 13:02:43

The ZEUS. Mine is dated 1981/82. Why do they have a date? BA sizes have not changed, BSF are still 55 deg, the Whitworths remain the same. Well, where I was an apprentice the date was used when a crap job came in. The foreman will be holding the paperwork, Mike who told all the old war stories would get his zeus out and say "Cant be my turn, the book says 1950 something. All the other lads followed suit showing dates from the 60's and 70's so poor old muggings had the job until a new apprentice arrived a couple of years later.

24/06/2020 11:31:25

Greetings all. I am a bit long in the tooth having been a fitter turner apprentice in the 1980's, so subsequently my tooling is that age or older hand-me-downs.

I had to order some ME taps and a die yesterday from Tracy Tools. Well they arrived this morning and I note that the taps have the suggested tapping drill size stamped on them.

Is this a new feature or am I just out of date?

Thread: The cultural status of engineers in the UK
10/01/2020 10:30:03

Moons ago as an apprentice we were told that because we got our hands dirty we were well down the social pecking order. Later on I worked as a gofer in an office in one of our major naval bases and the office workers who dictated policy and passed paper around all day were certainly looked upon much higher by management than the people who actually did the manual work. We seem to have our priorities completely wrong in this country.

Thread: Is Model Engineering in Decline
19/10/2019 14:12:00

Interesting posts here. I am planing on taking my 6 year old to Alexandra Palace in January for the model exhibition. He is well into airfix and builds with meccano. We have done some woodwork together but he now wants to do engineering. I am always in the shed making steam engines etc.

He has used under supervision my small unimat lathe to make a couple of components for his models but the thing really stopping progress is his age and wanting something complete after a short session. I am currently toying with the idea of a mamod kit for him to get really started although these do not actually involve making anything.

Elmo

Thread: Axminster SU1 Horizontal Mill
15/10/2019 15:53:10

I was interested in this mill but there appears to be little headroom for use as an end mill when used in conjunction with a rotary table etc. The Axminster video only shows a 45 degree cut being taken in horizontal mode, again there appears little space for a 90 degree cut.

Also disappointing was Axminsters lack of knowledge when I asked about horizontal cutting tools. They directed me to a link of their cutting tools that had the slitting saw (as appearing in their video) as the sole horizontal tool.

Elmo

Thread: Worried
27/09/2019 14:38:07

And to throw the spanner in the works I do miles per pound. My car does 9.45 miles per pound at today's price.

26/09/2019 06:19:05

Forget what I was buying. I was given the weight by a kid in grams. I asked "what's that in English" to which I just got a blank expression.

Thread: "I'm calling about your accident" - how does this scam work?
28/07/2019 22:03:57

The best one of these I had began with the statement that "our records tend to show that you may have been involved in a qualifying accident".

Thread: Norton anti virus
10/07/2019 05:43:46

I had similar issues with Norton. I am now with another company.

10/07/2019 05:43:45

I had similar issues with Norton. I am now with another company.

Thread: Spotted in Pewsey
01/07/2019 05:36:39

Nice little shop that one. I always peer through the window.. Did you spot the Pewsey museum? It is down the road more or less opposite that shop. I have been meaning to pop in again to see a very old lathe (cannot recall the make). It is on display with some items including a traction engine built by the lathe owner. The lathe is American and was treadle drive but had been converted to electric.

Thread: Possible New Internet Scam to be Aware of.
21/06/2019 12:49:31

One 'trick' that I found out by accident is to send the email to a made up (incorrect) email address.

The return I had stating email could not be sent actually showed the senders correct email address. Barclaycard were most pleased that I typed their email address incorrectly when I was sending them the fraud email. I believe that this fraudster was subsequently traced.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest