By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for R Johns

Here is a list of all the postings R Johns has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: "I'm calling about your accident" - how does this scam work?
28/07/2019 22:03:57

The best one of these I had began with the statement that "our records tend to show that you may have been involved in a qualifying accident".

Thread: Norton anti virus
10/07/2019 05:43:46

I had similar issues with Norton. I am now with another company.

10/07/2019 05:43:45

I had similar issues with Norton. I am now with another company.

Thread: Spotted in Pewsey
01/07/2019 05:36:39

Nice little shop that one. I always peer through the window.. Did you spot the Pewsey museum? It is down the road more or less opposite that shop. I have been meaning to pop in again to see a very old lathe (cannot recall the make). It is on display with some items including a traction engine built by the lathe owner. The lathe is American and was treadle drive but had been converted to electric.

Thread: Possible New Internet Scam to be Aware of.
21/06/2019 12:49:31

One 'trick' that I found out by accident is to send the email to a made up (incorrect) email address.

The return I had stating email could not be sent actually showed the senders correct email address. Barclaycard were most pleased that I typed their email address incorrectly when I was sending them the fraud email. I believe that this fraudster was subsequently traced.

Thread: Can We Be Too Good For Our Own Good - sometimes|?
21/06/2019 11:12:34
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 21/06/2019 07:49:33:

Yes - that's a classic example, R Johns!

I'm surprised someone managed to put the tool the wrong way up though. Was it just the cutter the wrong way round in the collet, or the entire collet chuck upside down?

I think that the whole tool holding assembly was on the wrong way. It was a tool for turning a cone on the end of the component and it looked like the back of the tool would have been against the work piece. I did not see them change it, the kid was ushered back to the machine shop and given another job!

21/06/2019 06:52:45

My claim to fame. 16 year old just started my apprenticeship and at the company for two weeks before I have to go off to a training centre for a year.

Just fitting a brand new state of the art computer controlled milling machine that takes material at one end and spits out a component at the other. The great and the good cannot get it to work. Two days of computer experts and my new engineering shop manager scratching their heads when I am taken along to see this new beast of a machine.

They were all nosing at the computer screen and seeing if the tool arms moved in the correct order as per the computer program. I am looking at the other end where the work is carried out and spotted a problem. Looking at how the tool holder moved towards where the work piece would be it appeared that when the arm was fully extended it started to spin round on the last 6 inches or so when approaching the work piece.

I did feel a ninny and expect a dressing down when I asked if the cutting tool was the right way up.

Lots of red faces but my reward, the machine program for that component was changed to my name.

Thread: Fire bricks
23/05/2019 16:09:23

I use the storage heater bricks for silver soldering. Whilst they absorb heat they also radiate heat when hot. You can look at this in the same manner as using a charcoal pit for brazing. I start by heating up the bricks then move the flame to the work piece.The ambient heat from the bricks keeps the work hot whilst you concentrate the flame onto the joint being soldered.

The only thing that I have been warned of but not seen for real is to ensure the bricks do not get wet. I am informed that a damp brick having a torch applied to it may explode.

Elmo

Thread: How many members are model & toy steam 'nuts' :)
10/05/2019 14:28:17

I would like to plead guilty and have five other mamods taken into consideration!

Thread: Micrometer woes
26/01/2019 20:23:24

The curse of foam. I was given a British Thornton drawing instrument set years ago. The same thing happened. It took ages for me to clear the small particles of foam that seemed to get into everything. I do hope the mic is OK and no crap got into the thread etc.

Elmo

Thread: 3-in-1 Metalworking Machines
26/01/2019 20:16:27

I have had the axminster version for a few years now and cannot fault it. The benders bend, the guillotine cuts and the rollers roll.

As you point out above, the machine capabilities are limited to roughly 20tho guillotine cut for steel but all other features I have rolled and bent 40tho steel. I have also extensively used this machine to roll bend and cut 20 gauge copper.

Elmo

Thread: MyTimeMedia Shop
26/01/2019 20:06:39

Got through very quickly on 26th (Saturday) to the subscription office. Not had to phone before to know what the normal response time is.

Elmo

Thread: Supplier for Large Timber Workshop - Recommendations Please
14/07/2018 08:12:18

I highly recommend Pro Workshop (now called garden workshop) . I have had mine a few years now. They come and measure up your site and build to order. Double glassed windows and doors, three layered walls with solid roof.

Elmo

Edited By R Johns on 14/07/2018 08:12:55

Thread: Anyone repair electric driven items?
20/05/2018 00:09:38

How old is your grinder? My long neck grinder packed up out of warranty. I contacted proxxon direct regarding getting it repaired and I was sent a new one via axminster tools. They had a bad batch of these with something faulty in the motor.

Elmo

Thread: Recommended Shed suppliers
26/01/2018 17:51:39

Not sure if you are in their catchment area but I am very satisfied with my pro workshop. Lots of info on their web site.

Thread: Unimat Millenium Model.
20/12/2017 16:51:06

I have this very same lathe and still going strong. I purchased my millenium from rejon machine tools.

I always wanted a small lathe for my n gauge and other railways and when I first saw the advert for it I just had to have one.

I was and am still amazed at the accuracy I can get from this machine. Even though I have 'progressed' to a Myford as I have expanded my hobby to having a go at larger items, the unimat always comes out when I need small precision pieces made.

Elmo

Thread: Incinerating waste
02/10/2017 20:00:14

We have an issue locally with an alleged ban on bonfires (although no proof has ever been given by the responsible councillor). Whilst visiting the councillor to discuss the local dictate I noticed that they had a chiminea. I was told that they were acceptable so instead of one of those galvanised dustbin shaped things I have a large chiminea!

Thread: How to cut a tapered shoulder?
27/02/2017 13:45:43

Surely if you use the stand that you have ticked, the plane will still sit horizontally, due to the spigot being at 90 degrees to the floor.

If you need an angled shoulder for the plane to sit on then the spigot will need to be square to the angle.

Thread: Preventing Rust
18/02/2017 19:11:37

Moth balls! I inherited my granddads shipwrights wood tool chest and it has a distinctive smell within it that I could never work out. Now, if this was a wardrobe I would have identified the smell immediately as moth balls. This thread has put two and two together and identified the tool chest aroma.

Elmo

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Advertise With Us
Warco
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne oct 2019
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest