By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martyn Duncumb

Here is a list of all the postings Martyn Duncumb has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chronos Wheel Engine
10/04/2021 11:46:45

I have just been through my The Clockmaker magazine and can confirm the drawings are included with the articles on Eliot Isaacs ‘Wheel Cutting Engine’. They were published in Vol 1 issues 7 to 12 and Vol 2 issues 1 to 4. The first article includes an explanation of the history of the design and of Chronos and a rider that the drawings are made available only to make one engine, the copyright being held by Eliot Isaacs.

Martyn Duncumb

WheelCuttingEngine.jpeg

Thread: Have You considered getting a 3D printer
28/01/2021 18:08:39

Just been looking at the Prusa Research site and there is a notice at head of page saying "Currently we are not accepting UK orders due to Brexit issues".

Amazon are saying they are not currently available.

Hope it all gets sorted. soon.

Martyn

Thread: MEW 300 IS HERE !
19/01/2021 18:33:52

Just for the record, another delivery of post on Monday brought me Issue 300.

Enjoying it now.

Martyn

16/01/2021 15:12:58

Sadly no No.300 yet SW Essex. Post received yesterday after 10 day interval but no MEW.

Hopefully, next week will bring it.

Martyn

Thread: "How was your shipping experience" email scam
28/12/2020 11:01:52

I have noticed this. A number of sites that have no obvious use for a date of birth ask for it. I nowadays never enter a correct one, if at all.

The latest was a charity, a hospice, where I wanted to donate in memory of a friend. They asked for date of birth so I found another way to donate. I could not understand any reason for them asking. From the comment above, I can see that a separate organisation operating the site for the hospice might be selling on the data in some way.

Martyn

Thread: Tapping drills for cast iron
19/11/2020 21:06:01

You have all been very helpful. In fact my drill was a brand new split point one so it was 'operator error' that caused the problem, though maybe the 5.5mm size did not help.

I certainly have noted all the points made and will treat cast iron with more respect next time.

Many thanks again,

Martyn

19/11/2020 09:45:22

Many thanks for all your helpful replies. I take the points about the drill size, 5.5 may have been a trifle too large for cast iron and I certainly should have been much more careful when actually drilling to ensure I got the size of hole I wanted.

I will concentrate on what I am doing when I next tap cast iron. NDIY was more than half right when he mentioned "operator error".

Martyn

18/11/2020 20:33:43

Does the the size of the tapping drill need to be altered because the thread will be in cast iron? I have tried finding the answer by searching but with no luck.

The reason for asking is I have drilled two blind holes 5.5mm (5/8" deep) to tap 1/4" BSF in a small block of cast iron. Before I actually tapped I happened to offer up the 1/4" threaded rod and found it very neatly entered the hole without the thread being cut.

In this case I can solve the problem with Loctite but for the future should I use a smaller drill for cast iron than that shown in the tables?

Thanks

Martyn

Thread: Virtual Meet Ups
04/11/2020 15:33:33

I too would like to try again, please.

Martyn

14/10/2020 13:05:15

I would also like to join in and see how it goes.

Thanks

Martyn

Thread: How to stop scam phone calls for good?
26/08/2020 15:29:12

We are with PluSNet and get very few unwanted calls.

Our problem is, as Sandgrounder mentions, that hospitals and GPs come up as ‘No caller ID’ or ‘Number withheld’, so we now have to answer them. Somehow we have managed to guess correctly that it is a medical call but it is a bit of a lottery. Hopefully they will be able to sort this out as it must waste a lot of NHS time with people not answering their calls because they think they are scams.

Martyn

Thread: Help needed - Video editing software for free.
12/08/2020 07:30:05

Christopher Barnett on his You Tube channel “Explaining Computers” has one video

” Top 8 free video editors of 2020”.
which may be of help.

I have no experience of using any.

Martyn

Thread: Number punches
24/04/2020 22:01:55

The GHT green book "Building the Universal Pillar Tool" page 65 'Special Staking Operations' covers the numbering operation.

Martyn

Thread: Blot On The Landscape
24/04/2020 17:49:34

I was amazed with a train journey I make from Paris to Augsburg, Germany. I only travel once or twice a year but when I first went about 10 years ago the journey took 7 hours, via Strasbourg, direct with no changes. From two years or so ago it now takes only 5 hours a 25% improvement. This improvement has mainly been made on the section from Paris to Strasbourg as the Germany section of the route is through more difficult country.

I have no idea of the cost, or who paid for it (?EU), but the benefit in journey time is far easier to comprehend. Speeds of 320 kph are attained and the trains are now double-decked. A further point of interest, the fare was €110 and last time €64.

There are all sorts of reasons we cannot compare this with HS2 but seeing benefits of this magnitude makes an investment easier to understand.

Martyn

Thread: GWR Armstrong Class7 4-4-0
29/02/2020 19:30:53

Many thanks for the clarification.

Martyn

29/02/2020 15:12:18

Just a small query, that is the second time today that a reference to MECH has been made.

I have not come across this before, can you give more details?

Thanks

Martyn

Thread: Imperial supplies of mild steel
03/01/2020 20:24:55

Thanks Duncan, point noted.

Martyn

03/01/2020 11:24:35

Many thanks for your suggestions. Can see now that sheet or broader strips can also provide what I want.

Martyn

02/01/2020 22:09:37

3/32" was a popular thickness of strip steel in various widths specified in articles in ME in the 60s and 70s.

Apart from round 3/32" none seems to be available now and the metric equivalent of 2.5mm does not seem to be listed either.

What does one do to get round this? Machine down from the next size up?

Thanks

Martyn

Thread: Myford Vice for Vertical Slide
13/07/2019 20:37:32

Mike, I too have a Myford vice, purchased 40+ years ago, which is the same as yours with a radius at the bottom of the fixed jaw. I always assumed they were all made like this. Have no idea why though.

Martyn

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest