By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jim Nic

Here is a list of all the postings Jim Nic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Simple Mill Engine - Stewart Hart ME.4460 - Part CP11
27/01/2018 20:56:46

That's looking very tidy Jim. Do she run yet?

Jim

Thread: Spot the fake
16/01/2018 10:41:05

In these days of convincing cheaply made copies of expensive products, it would seem that if owning a Mitutoyo caliper is important to you, it would be wise not to try and get it on the cheap but to deal with a reputable supplier. You will undoubtedly have to pay more than if you took a chance with a "bargain" but that, surely, is the cost of having high grade equipment. wink (I make no judgement on whether Mitutoyo calipers are better enough than Aldi specials to be worth the extra.)

Jim

Thread: The Workshop Progress thread 2018
12/01/2018 17:37:51

At long last the Stew Hart's Popcorn engine is complete.

I ran into a couple of difficulties when reassembling it after stripping and painting; I discovered that somehow I had managed to bend the piston rod, which is a short piece of 4mm dia steel, and when I remade it the M4 thread I put on the end using a brand new thread die was seriously horrible and barely engaged with the crosshead. The bronze ball whistle valve which previously held air very well now leaks and will need to be sorted, hopefully with the simple replacement with a nitrile ball.

Anyway, here's the evidence:

popcorn finished 1.jpg

popcorn finished 2.jpg

popcorn finished 6.jpg

And for those of you not too bored yet, a video:

Jim

05/01/2018 19:42:54

That turned out well Jason. As always an impressive result in double quick time.

Jim

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
04/01/2018 16:24:00

As happened with the motor on my mill, you seem to have one completely worn brush and one less so. You should be able to measure the size you need and resort to good old e-bay where you will find many sizes of carbon brush for cheap money. Watch out that the springy end is the correct size and shape for your motor and then the brush itself can be easily and gently filed to size if necessary.

Jim

04/01/2018 12:23:30

Brian

Crikey! I didn't imagine Sinclair sold enough of the things tokeep a factory going for more than an hour or 2. Still, at least it was made in UK and every little helped.

Jim

04/01/2018 10:34:58

I understood that C5 motors were Electrolux components from their washing machine range.

I resisted buying one despite the hype; as well as being slow, positively dangerous in traffic, limited in range and having little weather protection, you needed to be "Billy No Mates" to drive one. (And if you weren't at the start you soon would be.) sad

Jim

Edited By Jim Nic on 04/01/2018 10:35:32

Thread: Cutting oil -
04/01/2018 10:20:25

I believe Duck Oil is similar to WD40 in being a carrier fluid with a grease component which I use as a quick spray on the working parts of my machines after use to keep corrosion at bay in my damp garage workshop. It has been successful at this for 6 years.

For tapping I use CT 90 tapping fluid available from EKP Supplies in the UK (amongst other suppliers, I expect). After breaking numerous small and expensive taps, usually while turning backwards to clear the swarf, while using the cheap and readily to hand oils I tried CT90 and have had no breakages since. I use it in all metals as apart from easing the thread cutting it sticks the swarf to the tap making it easier to clean.  Although it looks expensive, a drop goes a long way and  I expect the bottle I have will see me out.

Jim

Edited By Jim Nic on 04/01/2018 10:23:41

Thread: Centre Finder Query
02/01/2018 16:56:38

I find accurately picking up scribed marking easy enough especially using a magnifying glass. However, unless you are already at the correct location dropping the needle point into a centre pop mark can move the needle and require re-centering it before you can have another go.

Jim

Thread: Baldwin Gas Mechanical Cab Started
26/12/2017 15:46:36

Ouch ! crying

Jim

Thread: 1947 Jepson engine
21/12/2017 14:23:27

A good little runner, well done Geoff.

A word of caution. I found that when I used 3 in 1 oil in my engine bearings it turned gummy after a couple of months of not running. I cleaned it out to restore free movement and now use 10W30 car oil. 3 in 1's effect on O ring piston seals was even worse. sad

Jim

Thread: What's the strangest project you've ever seen in an old ME or MEW?
19/12/2017 14:09:49

It's a gas turbine engine starter cartridge. When initiated the contents burnt relatively slowly and the resulting gases were directed into a small geared turbine which engaged with the main engine, spinning it up to self sustaining speed. Certainly used on some marks of Canberra aircraft and I seem to recall also on some Hunters.

Jim

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread (2017)
15/12/2017 12:38:04

Hi George

First off I bought a very low grade drill press off e-bay for £20 specifically for this job and with the intention of selling it again after I'd used it (although I'll probably keep it because after a bit of fettling it's OK for butchering the brown stuff).

engine turning 1.jpg

Then I made an abrasive tool from a piece steel rod, a piece of 20mm dowel and a pad of soft leather cut from one of Mrs Jim's unused belts (I think it was unused, it will be now!)

engine turning 2.jpg

After some experiments with fine and coarse valve grinding paste I settled on the fine and, after clamping a fence to the drill table, away I went.

Jim

Edited By Jim Nic on 15/12/2017 12:44:04

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
14/12/2017 16:22:16

Muzzer

Or a Honda CRV? I have one and I'm very pleased with it.

Jim

14/12/2017 14:50:16

After a short break while life got in the way of workshop time it was on with Popcorn.

Having completed the parts of the engine I broke it down for painting and looked at the amount of brassware I had decided needed to be polished up. My conclusion was that I needed a buffing wheel! As luck would have it during my "life break" I aquired a domestic Stuart Turner shower pump with a faulty, vastly overcomplicated, switching module but with a very smooth motor. Said motor looked to be just the thing to power a buffing wheel and after a bit of bodging and the addition of a pigtail and buffing wheel and an NVR switch it turned out to be so.

buffing wheel.jpg

Just some of the shiny bits

shiny bits.jpg

Whilst wood butchering for the Buffer I also made the plinth. My first attempt at engine turning on the base looks OK as long as you stand well back, which I recommend when viewing my efforts.

base & plinth 1.jpg

Jim

Thread: Help required to repair broken centre arbor shaft from English longcase.
12/12/2017 14:29:34

Unfortunately (or maybe not??) I am not in the North West but I suggest a couple of pictures of your problem may stimulate a little interest and hopefully an offer of assistance.

Jim

04/12/2017 16:22:40

George

I'm sure your cross arms will be fine, mine are and I used Loctite.

Jim

03/12/2017 18:34:54

Dave

I'm sure most of us have "been there, done that" in some form or another, I know I have. The only thing is that I felt so stupid for not forseeing what was inevitable that I kept it to myself. Thanks for showing your "lesson".

Jim

03/12/2017 16:39:22

George

Your photo looks like one of those optical illusions where you know that all the items are the same length but the picture makes them look different wink

Did you silver solder them?

Jim

Thread: Grayson Lathe refurb
30/11/2017 20:33:52

Cast iron can be silver soldered, I've done it successfully. I consulted Keith from Cup Alloys at a Midlands show a few years ago and was advised to prepare the cast iron by heating to red heat to burn off any oil contaminants then clean the item thoroughly and silver solder as normal. I used HT5 flux.

Jim

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
cowbells
Warco
Meridienne oct 2019
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest