By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jim Nic

Here is a list of all the postings Jim Nic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Ian S C Back again
21/01/2020 12:07:03

Welcome back Ian.

Jim

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
16/01/2020 21:26:52

By 'eck George, that must have been a fair old bucket of swarf, good looking frames though. Nice finish on the crankshaft too. Keep it up.

Jim

09/01/2020 15:33:29

Hi Geoff

Although I'm close to completing the major components I'd be very interested to read your build article to see where I went wrong (other than not feeeling when my 10BA tap had reached the bottom of the hole). A heads up when publication is imminent would be appreciated.

Jim

Thread: Warco WM14 mill with DRO
08/01/2020 19:22:01

My advice would be to talk to Warco and ask them if their offering can do the things that you want it to do.

Jim

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
07/01/2020 15:10:42

Progress over the holiday period on the Muncaster Double Acting Oscillator.

Finished off the cylinder mounting arrangement but deviated from Muncaster's plan by incorporating a spring and a bronze ball to hold the cylinder port face to the air inlet block.

cylinder 11.jpg

cylinder 13.jpg

Then made the cylinder covers and all was going well until I was given a chance to test my New Year's resolution not to yell bad words whenever anything went wrong. I broke a 10BA tap in the con rod stuffing gland. I managed to retain my cherubic demeanour and calmly considered how to avoid making a whole new cover.

cylinder 15.jpg

I had planned to use 3 studs so the solution was to leave the broken tap in situ and drill and tap another 3 holes in the cover and just turn the gland through 60 degrees. This time my taps survived.

cylinder 16.jpg

The now almost completed cylinder just needs banding to retain the planned wooden insulation but that can wait until the finishing phase.

cylinder 20.jpg

Jim

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
27/12/2019 19:59:50

Derek

Your hearth looks just like the one I got from CuP Alloys a few years ago which I find ideal for the small jobs I do and has served me well.

I don't use the fluffy blanket, I found that parts moved on it too easily while I was applying heat and solder. I got an extra piece of hearth brick and cut a few strips on which to place my unsoldered assemblies for heating.

Jim

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2019
18/12/2019 16:32:20

Hi Geoff

You may recall you posted a method for machining the casting for me but when I came to follow it I found my lathe face plate wasn't flexible enough (too few slots) to use and also my angle plate was too big and inflexible. So I had to adapt your method a bit and ended up doing one end and the bore in the 4 jaw chuck first and then superglueing the casting on a mandrel to do some of the rest.

cylinder 2.jpg

cylinder 7.jpg

cylinder 8.jpg

cylinder 9.jpg

It was a lovely casting, no hard spots at all and plenty of material to play with when setting up so thanks for that.

For the main bearings I used a method familiar to me that I've used a few times before with little reference to Muncaster's design.

The frames were cut by Model Engineers Laser exactly to your drawing. I don't do CAD myself so I sent him a copy of your paper drawing which he then drew in a programme his cutter could use. Hopefully he still has the file. His service was excellent and his price for the frames in steel was very reasonable, highly recommended.

Jim

11/12/2019 12:16:05

Over the last couple of months, while Jason has completed a couple of engines, I have made some snail paced progress on Muncaster's Double Oscillator.

A picture of the parts to date:

family shot 1.jpg

A very loose assembly:

family shot 3.jpg

family shot 4.jpg

Still plenty to do but I can now see an engine in there.

Jim

Thread: Any users of the 'ModelEngineersUtilities here?
02/12/2019 14:55:49

Hi Hans

I have Alan Mundays Model Engineers Utilities installed on my workshop notebook computer running Windows XP. I loaded it umpteen years ago also (2011 or so) and mine is also version 1.8. It is still working fine as it always has. I have never tried it on a computer with a more modern operating system.

No help to you, I'm sorry to say.

Jim

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
22/11/2019 11:27:00

I'm intrigued by this tool; but is it just me or is the link not working for anybody?

Jim

10/11/2019 21:04:47

Looks like Father Christmas came early Jason.

Jim

09/11/2019 22:04:56

Lovely pile of swarf, where's the conrod? wink ( I'm only catty because I'm envious of the workmanship.)

Jim

Thread: Painting! There one day, gone the next!
09/11/2019 21:58:58

Ian the colour above is a Halford's rattle can called Ford Highland Green.

This engine is in Halford's Ford Meadow Green:

Hasbrouck rocking valve finished 2.jpg

If you are carefuland and apply thin coats then they don't come out too shiny.

If you want they can always be oversprayed with a thin coat of satin laquer to reduce the shine.

Jim

09/11/2019 15:45:03

I always use etch primer on aluminium and standard grey primer on other metals.

This is a picture of an engine (Jason's Jowitt design) with aluminium, steel and cast iron components treated as above which although my camera and the light may not show it well, are all exactly the same colour.

finished jowitt 7.jpg

Jim

Thread: What are these pliers for
14/10/2019 19:14:57

In my experience they are used to partially round off bolt heads so spanners no longer fit. Also used in the creation of blood-blisters.wink 2

Jim

13/10/2019 14:23:40

Lovely little engine Jason. What's next, a Midget twin?

Jim

07/10/2019 12:44:47

Hi Geoff

Thanks for that descriptive post.

I am not well versed in how to approach castings, only 2 of my 10 completed engnes have used them so your guidance will be valuable indeed.

Jim

01/10/2019 14:44:54

I have made a start on Muncaster’s Double Acting Oscillating engine.

First off I gathered some bits of metal:

materials.jpg

Then, since I hadn't figured out how to go about any other parts I made the flywheel, which still needs a bit of car body filler around the spoke ends to add a bit more realism.

flywheel 2.jpg

Then I took delivery of the engine frames from Model Engineer’s Laser.

frame 2.jpg

I had these lasered because I’m getting lazy in my old’ish age and could easily see me messing up forming the bowed feature halfway up and having to make more than one attempt.

Now I'm going to have to get my thinking head on and tackle the cylinder.

Jim

Edited By Jim Nic on 01/10/2019 14:51:51

Thread: Norden mill engine
02/09/2019 14:20:50

From your photo it's plain to see the problem at the top of the guides, what's it like at the bottom? If the crosshead has 1/4 of an inch to go before the bottom of the bars the problem could be in the length between the centres of the connecting rod. If the crosshead goes too far down as well as too far up then I would be looking at the throw on the crank.

Jim

Edited By Jim Nic on 02/09/2019 14:21:38

30/08/2019 14:42:41

Thanks for the kind comments gents.

A little bit of a mod to do on my Grasshopper Beam engine pipework then its on to the next project - a Muncaster designed Double Acting Oscillator using the cylinder casting kindly given to me by Geoff Walker. This engine will present me with its own challenges as I am not good with castings having only used them on a Stuart Models 10V and my Grasshopper Beam (which did not turn out well with several of the castings being discarded after my attempts on them!). I have the barstock materials on order, the cylinder casting and some drawings so I'm committed now.

Jim

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
mid gard rail Jan 2020
ChesterUK
Warco
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest