By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jim Nic

Here is a list of all the postings Jim Nic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2019
10/11/2019 21:04:47

Looks like Father Christmas came early Jason.

Jim

09/11/2019 22:04:56

Lovely pile of swarf, where's the conrod? wink ( I'm only catty because I'm envious of the workmanship.)

Jim

Thread: Painting! There one day, gone the next!
09/11/2019 21:58:58

Ian the colour above is a Halford's rattle can called Ford Highland Green.

This engine is in Halford's Ford Meadow Green:

Hasbrouck rocking valve finished 2.jpg

If you are carefuland and apply thin coats then they don't come out too shiny.

If you want they can always be oversprayed with a thin coat of satin laquer to reduce the shine.

Jim

09/11/2019 15:45:03

I always use etch primer on aluminium and standard grey primer on other metals.

This is a picture of an engine (Jason's Jowitt design) with aluminium, steel and cast iron components treated as above which although my camera and the light may not show it well, are all exactly the same colour.

finished jowitt 7.jpg

Jim

Thread: What are these pliers for
14/10/2019 19:14:57

In my experience they are used to partially round off bolt heads so spanners no longer fit. Also used in the creation of blood-blisters.wink 2

Jim

13/10/2019 14:23:40

Lovely little engine Jason. What's next, a Midget twin?

Jim

07/10/2019 12:44:47

Hi Geoff

Thanks for that descriptive post.

I am not well versed in how to approach castings, only 2 of my 10 completed engnes have used them so your guidance will be valuable indeed.

Jim

01/10/2019 14:44:54

I have made a start on Muncaster’s Double Acting Oscillating engine.

First off I gathered some bits of metal:

materials.jpg

Then, since I hadn't figured out how to go about any other parts I made the flywheel, which still needs a bit of car body filler around the spoke ends to add a bit more realism.

flywheel 2.jpg

Then I took delivery of the engine frames from Model Engineer’s Laser.

frame 2.jpg

I had these lasered because I’m getting lazy in my old’ish age and could easily see me messing up forming the bowed feature halfway up and having to make more than one attempt.

Now I'm going to have to get my thinking head on and tackle the cylinder.

Jim

Edited By Jim Nic on 01/10/2019 14:51:51

Thread: Norden mill engine
02/09/2019 14:20:50

From your photo it's plain to see the problem at the top of the guides, what's it like at the bottom? If the crosshead has 1/4 of an inch to go before the bottom of the bars the problem could be in the length between the centres of the connecting rod. If the crosshead goes too far down as well as too far up then I would be looking at the throw on the crank.

Jim

Edited By Jim Nic on 02/09/2019 14:21:38

30/08/2019 14:42:41

Thanks for the kind comments gents.

A little bit of a mod to do on my Grasshopper Beam engine pipework then its on to the next project - a Muncaster designed Double Acting Oscillator using the cylinder casting kindly given to me by Geoff Walker. This engine will present me with its own challenges as I am not good with castings having only used them on a Stuart Models 10V and my Grasshopper Beam (which did not turn out well with several of the castings being discarded after my attempts on them!). I have the barstock materials on order, the cylinder casting and some drawings so I'm committed now.

Jim

28/08/2019 14:04:00

At long last I have completed Stew Hart’s Overcrank engine. I knew when I started that it was a step up from anything I’d done before but thanks to Stew’s excellent drawings (which I believe were not originally drawn with publication in mind) and a bit of thought and common model engineering sense the result is shown below.

overcrank finished 1.jpg

overcrank finished 2.jpg

overcrank finished 3.jpg

overcrank finished 4.jpg

And a vid:

It has taken the best part of a year but I’m pleased with it. Thanks to Stew for the drawings.

Jim

Thread: Digital inclinometers
18/08/2019 11:59:07

My Wixey Model WR365 is 9 years old. It uses 2 off AAA batteries which last for years, I think I've replaced them just once. The display can be turned off by holding down the "On/zero" button rather than wait for it to get fed up and turn off itself. The display has 2 readings: a level setting and a reading which can be zeroed to your own datum (eg machine bed) and reads from there.

When I need an angular indication I find it simple and quick to use and plenty accurate enough for my modelling purposes.

Jim

Thread: WM16B mill
07/08/2019 20:49:10

I also have a WM 16 to which I also fitted magnetic DRO from M-DRO.

The X axis scale is fitted to the front of the table utilising the channel provided for the table stops; I made some extra screws to secure the magnetic track backing. I also fitted a piece of aluminium angle to prevent swarf falling in to the minimal gap between the read head and the track

x axis scale.jpg

The read head is on the bracket originally provided for the table stop.

x axis read head.jpg

The downside is that I now have no table stops but I haven't really missed this facility, I just use the DRO to tell me when I've gone too far.

I made a bracket for the Y axis read head and mounted it on 2 tapped holes in the table carriage and I mounted the track using 4 tapped holes I put in the machine base.

y axis.jpg

The installation works well and has done for 6 years now.

Jim

04/08/2019 19:36:35

A good looking modification Nigel , well done.

Jim

Thread: It's not engineering but
01/08/2019 10:12:11

That's lovely Eric. Mrs Jim says can she make us one in 12" to the foot?

Jim

Thread: double acting oscillating cylinder engine
31/07/2019 11:29:13

A very good looking engine, Geoff. Nicely finished and it runs well too. I am enthused to get my current project finished and set to on the casting for this engine you kindly sent me.

Jim

Thread: Laser cutting service
29/07/2019 18:36:14

Model Engineers Laser did some parts for me not so long ago working from a paper drawing (actually a PDF of a paper drawing) at a very reasonable price. Quality was excellent and I didn't have to wait too long to get them. A very good chap to deal with.

Jim

Thread: not tightening
27/07/2019 20:04:41

What is it that won't tighten - is it that the nut won't run down the thread?

If the engine was running and then the shaft turned in the split crank it suggests to me that the split is closing fully before the crank grips the shaft. In which case make the split wider.

Jim

Thread: Lathe tooling
22/07/2019 10:29:13

When I bought my Warco lathe (admittedly a while ago) it came complete with a set of indexable cutters which as you would expect fitted perfectly without the need for shimming and have served me well for 9 years.

Are you sure you need to be buying cutting tools?

Jim

Thread: Fitting moving steadies
21/07/2019 20:04:39

Hi Allison, welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid I have no knowledge of your lathe but on my Warco machine the travelling steady attaches to the top of the saddle to the left of the topslide. The attachment is by 2 bolts, one to the front and one at the back. The necessary holes have screw in blanks fitted.

Hopefully this may give you a clue where to look or someone with real info will be along shortly.

Jim

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
cowbells
Meridienne; London MES
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest