By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jim Nic

Here is a list of all the postings Jim Nic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Digital inclinometers
18/08/2019 11:59:07

My Wixey Model WR365 is 9 years old. It uses 2 off AAA batteries which last for years, I think I've replaced them just once. The display can be turned off by holding down the "On/zero" button rather than wait for it to get fed up and turn off itself. The display has 2 readings: a level setting and a reading which can be zeroed to your own datum (eg machine bed) and reads from there.

When I need an angular indication I find it simple and quick to use and plenty accurate enough for my modelling purposes.

Jim

Thread: WM16B mill
07/08/2019 20:49:10

I also have a WM 16 to which I also fitted magnetic DRO from M-DRO.

The X axis scale is fitted to the front of the table utilising the channel provided for the table stops; I made some extra screws to secure the magnetic track backing. I also fitted a piece of aluminium angle to prevent swarf falling in to the minimal gap between the read head and the track

x axis scale.jpg

The read head is on the bracket originally provided for the table stop.

x axis read head.jpg

The downside is that I now have no table stops but I haven't really missed this facility, I just use the DRO to tell me when I've gone too far.

I made a bracket for the Y axis read head and mounted it on 2 tapped holes in the table carriage and I mounted the track using 4 tapped holes I put in the machine base.

y axis.jpg

The installation works well and has done for 6 years now.

Jim

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2019
04/08/2019 19:36:35

A good looking modification Nigel , well done.

Jim

Thread: It's not engineering but
01/08/2019 10:12:11

That's lovely Eric. Mrs Jim says can she make us one in 12" to the foot?

Jim

Thread: double acting oscillating cylinder engine
31/07/2019 11:29:13

A very good looking engine, Geoff. Nicely finished and it runs well too. I am enthused to get my current project finished and set to on the casting for this engine you kindly sent me.

Jim

Thread: Laser cutting service
29/07/2019 18:36:14

Model Engineers Laser did some parts for me not so long ago working from a paper drawing (actually a PDF of a paper drawing) at a very reasonable price. Quality was excellent and I didn't have to wait too long to get them. A very good chap to deal with.

Jim

Thread: not tightening
27/07/2019 20:04:41

What is it that won't tighten - is it that the nut won't run down the thread?

If the engine was running and then the shaft turned in the split crank it suggests to me that the split is closing fully before the crank grips the shaft. In which case make the split wider.

Jim

Thread: Lathe tooling
22/07/2019 10:29:13

When I bought my Warco lathe (admittedly a while ago) it came complete with a set of indexable cutters which as you would expect fitted perfectly without the need for shimming and have served me well for 9 years.

Are you sure you need to be buying cutting tools?

Jim

Thread: Fitting moving steadies
21/07/2019 20:04:39

Hi Allison, welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid I have no knowledge of your lathe but on my Warco machine the travelling steady attaches to the top of the saddle to the left of the topslide. The attachment is by 2 bolts, one to the front and one at the back. The necessary holes have screw in blanks fitted.

Hopefully this may give you a clue where to look or someone with real info will be along shortly.

Jim

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
16/07/2019 17:50:48

That's cheating George. (Says I with tongue firmly in cheek having had these parts laser cut myself.)

return conn rods.jpg

You certainly got a good looking result which has probably saved you a whole lot of tedious work with fretsaw and file.

Jim

12/07/2019 19:28:37

George?? Just between youand me, it's you Geoff.

Jim

12/07/2019 14:03:50

Nice bit of woodwork George.

Cladding cylinders in wood where appropriate adds a lot to a model for me.

Jim

28/06/2019 15:15:16

I like the slide lock George. I'll be making one of them soon.

Jim

26/06/2019 14:23:52

Well I've now received Muncaster's book "Model Stationary Engines" via Amazon.

As Jason pointed out the book doesn't contain a full drawing set, just the diagrams posted by Geoff at the top of this thread. I am now in a quandary: try and make the engine from the limited information in the book using bar stock, try and make the engine from the limited information in the book but to Geoff's metric conversion factor and using the cast cylinder he has kindly offerred me or try and make the engine at a larger size from Julius de Waal drawings using bar stock.

More coffee and cogitation required I think.

Geoff, I have sent you a PM

Jim

Thread: Hello
26/06/2019 10:08:28

Hello Brassmonkey. If you left school just 30 years ago you are a mere slip of a lad on here... I hope you enjoy your lathe.

Where in the world are you?

Jim

23/06/2019 12:19:25

Thanks for the steer Jason. Unfortunately I don't get on with Julius' drawings, I find them cluttered and difficult to interpret.

Jim

22/06/2019 22:08:24

I remember your Muncaster, Jason, but at the time I saw it I already had Stu Hart's Vertical Cross which was similar only with a different crosshead arrangement.

vertical cross single 1.jpg

I've ordered the Muncaster book from Amazon so I'll have a better idea of whether the double acting oscillator (oscoscillator?) is a goer or not.

Jim

22/06/2019 15:40:37

Thanks for the info Geoff, I'll have a look for the drawing. If I decide to make it I'll drop you a message regarding the cylinder.

Jim

22/06/2019 14:16:24

That is indeed looking good.

I haven't got a double acting oscillator, neither have I got my next project lined up. This engine could well be my answer to both requirements. May I ask where you got the drawings from?

Jim

Thread: Thomas from Hornby
13/06/2019 16:44:29

? +1

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Advertise With Us
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne Sept 2019
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest