By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jim Nic

Here is a list of all the postings Jim Nic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Finished
25/11/2021 21:02:28

A great looking result, Geoff. Be nice to see a vid of it running.

Jim

Thread: Help with a broken Sieg Super X3
22/10/2021 14:21:01

As usual a comprehensive and, as far as possible helpful, response from Ketan.

Jim

Thread: Rear Axle Breather Connector
11/10/2021 16:20:20

I think Peak4 has offered to knock up the connector you want but if you don't wish to take his offer up then drop me a PM and I will do it for you.

Jim

Thread: A Couple of Questions about Pipe?
18/09/2021 11:58:32

A little ampification on the nature of pipes:

1) Pipe is made of a long hole surrounded by metal or plastic centred around the hole.
2) All pipe is to be hollow throughout the entire length.
3) The ID (Inside Diameter) of pipe must not exceed the OD (Outside Diameter) -- otherwise the hole will be on the outside.
4) Pipe is to be supplied with nothing in the hole, so that water, steam or other stuff can be put inside at a later date.
5) Pipe is normally supplied without rust; this can be applied at the job site. NOTE: Some vendors are now able to supply rusty pipes. If available in your area, this product is recommended, as it will save a great deal of time at the job site.
6) All pipe over 500 ft (150 m) in length should have the words "LONG PIPE" clearly painted on each side and end, so that the contractor knows it's a long pipe.
7) Pipe over 3 miles (3.3 km) in length must also have the words "LONG PIPE" painted in the middle, so the contractor will not have to walk the entire length of the pipe to determine whether or not it is a long pipe or a short pipe.
8) All pipe over 6 ft (1.83 m) in diameter must have the words "LARGE PIPE" painted on it, so the contractor will not mistake it for small pipe.
9) Flanges can be used for joining pipe. Flanges must have holes for bolts, quite separate from the big hole in the middle.
10) When ordering 90 or 30 degree elbows, be sure to specify left-hand or right-hand, otherwise you will end up going the wrong way.
11) Be sure to specify to your vendor whether you want level, uphill or downhill pipe. If you use downhill pipes for going uphill, the contents will flow the wrong way.
12) Couplings should have either right-hand or left-hand threads, but do not confuse the threads otherwise, as the coupling is being screwed on one pipe, it can unscrew from the other.
13) Pipes shorter than 1/8 in (3 mm) are very uneconomical in use, requiring many joints. They are sometimes known as washers.
14) Joints in pipes for pumping compressed air must be air-tight. Those joints in pipes for water, however, need only be water-tight.

wink 2

Jim

Thread: They see you coming
04/09/2021 22:57:51

The safety feature that should be fitted is a restraining peg over which a hole in the rear of the mat is placed to stop the mat from sliding forward.

Some mats that I have bought in the past have come with a metal fitment which the customer is expected to slip under the seat mounting whereupon the matching hole in the mat can be secured.

Jim

Edited By Jim Nic on 04/09/2021 22:59:25

Thread: setting up boring head
27/08/2021 12:26:34

Some good tips in there, very useful. Thanks Eric.

Jim

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
24/08/2021 20:16:42

Should be done next week then George. wink

Looking forward to seeing the finished engine, I haven't got a Scotch Yoke and I need a "next project" to be thinking about.

Jim

Thread: Depth Stop for Collet
23/08/2021 15:08:57

Neat.

Jim

Thread: choices of material to turn
16/08/2021 10:22:59

I'm with Dave on this. There have been numerous threads on here over the years initiated by newbies wandering why they can't get a decent finish on a piece of metal when it turned out they had no idea what the spec of the metal was. The advice has always been the same: don't attempt to work with material of unknown spec until you are familiar with your machine, cutters and techniques.

After 10 years learning I still buy most of my materials from Macc Models, one of this sites Shopping Partners, who supplies metals which are largely easily machineable on our hobby machines.

Jim

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
14/08/2021 21:49:46

MickB1. Love the bunny, fascinating.

Jim

Thread: Sealant or gasket material
06/08/2021 18:34:03

I run my engines on air without any seal between joints. I would suggest you also do this for the initial runnings so that if a strip down is required you don't have the problem of cleaning gasket gack off the faces. You may also be lucky and find that the engine doesn't leak air at the relatively low pessures you will hopefully need and you can leave it gasket free.

Jim

Thread: governor for steam engine
30/07/2021 20:51:44

Further to my post above:

I dug about some more and found that the belts came from an e-bay seller called "hifi_audio_parts". I'm guessing they are tape deck drive belts.

Hope this helps.

Jim

30/07/2021 20:03:38

I've got one of those on my Stew Hart mill engine mounted directly to the steam chest thus:

valve chest 2.jpg

and here on the finished model:

finished 6.jpg

I initially drove it with a Mamod traction engine drive spring but, not surprisingly, found it a bit "springy" giving an erratic drive. I have now replaced that with a flat rubber belt 2.5mm wide and 0.25mm thick. Unfortunately no picture of that. And before you ask I don't recall where I got it, probably from e-bay. The pulley size was, for me, trial and error until I got the governor spinning at a rate that I thought suitable. For me that was 12mm dia.

Just had a search in a few safe places in the workshop and found the left over belts I have.  Definitely from the bay, the packet label has a load of Chinese looking writing.  I have a few spare varying from 260mm total length down to 90mm so if you let me know how long you need I can possibly help.

Jim

Edited By Jim Nic on 30/07/2021 20:24:40

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2021
29/07/2021 18:30:08

Very nice Rod, a real good looker and fine running too.

Jim

Thread: Warco WM180
21/07/2021 17:10:31

What do you mean when you say "turn it on". Do you mean when you apply power to the machine from the mains supply, in which case there is a fault because as far as I am aware the machine is fitted with an NVR switch. Or do you mean after power is applied and you press the "Go" button on the NVR switch, it is normal for the machine to then start and run at its slowest speed. You stop it by pressing the "Stop" button on the NVR switch.  Using the Emergency Stop button is not normally necessary unless there is an emergency.

HTH

Jim

Edited By Jim Nic on 21/07/2021 17:12:04

Thread: MMEX 2021 Cancelled
19/07/2021 14:20:31

What a pity. I was delighted when it was announced a short time ago that it was on for this year and was planning on definitely going. Clearly, and understandably, there is too much uncertainty about what restrictions may be reimposed in a moving situation to be investing a lot of money in public events.

Maybe next year.

Jim

Thread: Tracy Tools Delivery
14/07/2021 10:09:47

Amazing indeed.

And I still hear folk hankering after the "good old days" when you had to thumb through your supplier's catalogue, post off your order to the supplier with a cheque or postal order and then sit back and wait for a couple of weeks for your item to arrive.

Jim

Thread: Mill startup
13/07/2021 21:09:09

I believe that Warco recommend starting and stopping their machines at low revs to avoid damaging the electronic control unit.

Jim

Thread: Beam Engine
08/07/2021 18:13:02

Bill if being a member here means so much to you I'm sure we can all accept a small slip here and there which matter not when set against your very useful advice in many threads. You are not the first, nor the last, to misread a post.

Let's face it, many of us will undoubtedly suffer your fate in due course and we then will wish for a little forbearance from other members.

Please don't leave.

Jim

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2021
29/06/2021 18:59:33

Onwards and upward with the Norden. This is the end product as built by Neil Wyatt, our esteemed editor, who designed it:

norden picture.jpg

This update shows my almost completed cylinder with the crocodile type crosshead guides:

crosshead 2.jpg

crosshead 3.jpg

and a family shot of progress to date:

family 5.jpg

The next item on the agenda is the slide valve. The steam chest is quite shallow at 10mm so a bit tight for my preferred slide valve mechanism of a valve rod operating on a bar a in slot machined across the valve. Neil has shown an alternative on his drawings so I may accept that he knows best and make that.

Jim

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
JD Metals
rapid Direct
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest