By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Juddy

Here is a list of all the postings Juddy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Tapping drill size
17/10/2019 13:27:02

I normally use the diameter minus the pitch for tapping drill sizes in metric threads i.e. 8mm - 1.25mm = 6.75 or round up to the nearest preferred size 6.8.

Thread: What the he**
24/09/2019 07:56:48

I've had a rear spring which was found broken on the MOT, never noticed it. The car didn't drive any differently. The MOT man put it down to speed bumps, potholes and stiffer tyre sidewalls. Where cars are now much heavier and the tyres have become lower profile with very stiff sidewalls to cope with the weight, which results in little impact absorption from the tyre. The spring and damper takes the full force of any impact from small ripples to large potholes.

Thread: Metric tap and die set
20/09/2019 07:54:29

I've used Presto which I found to be very good and durable: **LINK**

and as others have said the Volkel brand as well: **LINK**

Over the years I have tried a number of no brand or cheap taps & dies, some have been good some have been rubbish. Pot luck on the cheaper scale for what you get.

Thread: Any interesting lathe projects for beginners?
17/09/2019 11:19:05

There is a large selection here: **LINK**

take your pick enough to fill a lifetime

Thread: Repair required for Milling Knee
05/09/2019 13:04:08

I would glue that back together then fit a thick plate on the back drilled and tapped from the bottom, or mill the edge flat and make a new dovetail with an additional 'L' shape to allow attachment to the back by drilling & tapping, you could also drill into the edge and fit dowels in both cases.

Thread: Tool post project
05/09/2019 12:39:18

I made one of these and 10 tool holders: **LINK**

works very well both on an Altas and latterly a Boxford AUD.

Thread: Do you clean up your rough end
01/08/2019 12:27:57

I have a set of basic workshop rules, not written down and not set in stone but I keep certain red lines I don't cross:

Do not wear gloves with rotating machines

Deburr all sharp edges

treat all cutting tools (all tools) with respect - wear gloves unless the tool is for a rotating machine and its easy to forget to take them off

wear gloves with sheet metal that have a decent level of cut resistance

always wear eye protection in the workshop no matter what I'm doing.

wear boots with toe protection, that 125mm milling vice will break all the bones in your foot if dropped (probably damage your foot even with boots on, its all about limiting the injury after the event if you can't prevent the event).

Use guards and swarf shields whenever possible - use common sense.

recheck clamps vices and tools are tightened/fitted correctly before pressing the start button.

avoid contact with oils, glues, paints. Read the warnings and apply that thing called common sense again.

Work within the limits of the machines and my skills, if I'm not sure seek advise or look it up. I try to avoid the 'I thought I knew what I was doing until it all went wrong'.

clean-up at the end of the work - the workshop is used for things other than my hobby & the kids or misses can nip in there to get something out of the freezer - to easy to step in sharp swarf or get it caught in shoes then walk it indoors where bare feet can find it. I don't like working in a mess either.

with these rules I don't miss workshop time though injury recovery or waiting in A&E

small cuts and bits of metal stuck in fingers still happen but I hope that I do enough to prevent any serious injury after all its a hobby and hobbies shouldn't hurt.

01/08/2019 11:49:54
Posted by Chris Gunn on 12/11/2018 17:55:39:

Not only do I clean the burrs off, I use a white correcting pen marker and mark the ends with the size so I can find the right size easy next time.

Chris Gunn

I do this as well, saves a lot of time finding stock.

Thread: Searching for an Off-The-Shelf, Light-Duty, Rack & Pinion
31/07/2019 09:33:00

Hi Martin have a look at rack and pinion jacks such as these: **LINK**

or something like a green house window opener like these: **LINK**

Thread: Angle grinders - Dangerous or not
19/07/2019 11:21:44
Posted by MichaelR on 19/07/2019 08:55:44:
Posted by john carruthers on 19/07/2019 08:45:58:

What could possibly go wrong? wink

carving disc link

There are some lethal looking attachments on that link, sends a shiver up the spine.

Mike.

Yes like this one, **LINK**

makes an angle grinder look like a childs toy

Thread: What started your interest?
16/07/2019 10:30:09

I've always had enjoyment from making and repairing machinery, I don't know where this came from because my father was useless at anything mechanical. I completed an apprenticeship with British Rail overhauling Diesel Electric & Electric locomotives at Stratford, Couple of the highlights of my apprenticeship was fitting the side rods on the flying Scotsman after it had been towed to the depot for royal train duties, then removing them so that it could be towed back to wherever it had come form. Also stripping Britannia down for a cracked frame to be welded.

Along with many engine swaps as the class 40, 45 & 50 loco's came out of use. (I mainly worked on 31, 37, 47, 85 & 86's, and the odd HST & 25)

When I left the railway I joined Fords Tractor manufacturing plant at Basildon, maintaining engine & hydraulic machining plant. But not to go on about my whole life story and get to the point I suppose my enjoyment of model engineering comes from the need to fix, improve and make machines, just a case of what gives me self satisfaction.

The opportunity to buy machines for home use only came along 3 years ago and started with modifying an old MK1 MR2 then progressed into model engines.

Thread: Do you clean your workshop at the end of the day?
28/06/2019 12:27:29

I don't like walking about on swarf so I normally clean this up as go then if there is any more mess I clean up and put everything away at the end of the day, But I still can never find the tool or item I need at any given time until I stop looking and suddenly its in front of me.

Thread: A close shave or why safety glasses are a must
12/04/2019 11:51:38
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 10/04/2019 23:16:45:

I have about five or six pairs of goggles spread around my workshop, various grades.

Next PPE purchase will be a better face mask, my old one died and I've been using disposables, but they just aren't as good. Might get one which takes a cartridge.

Did some routing (mahogany, pine, MDF) recently, don't want to breath those!

Neil

RPE doesn't work unless you are clean shaven, and I know that it is not practical to have RPE face fitted in a domestic situation but you should at least test your chosen RPE with a strong smell, you shouldn't be able to smell whatever your testing it against, if you can the RPE doesn't fit and isn't providing protection.

PPE is ideally brought from a PPE supplier anywhere else and you can't be sure that it compares with the respective standards. Places such as: Arco **LINK** ; or Greenhams **LINK**

Thread: Homebase files
11/04/2019 13:20:11

Just brought these in Homebase, not the best quality I know but usable with good handles and at 70p a file very good value:

**LINK**

Thread: Anyone got this lathe?
04/03/2019 15:53:08

The lathe type is in the second line of the title:

SPG Lathe SP2109-11

Thread: Atlas Sphere Lathe
04/03/2019 12:59:08

The standard set of gears is: 2 x 20t, 24t, 32t, 36t, 40t, 44t, 46t, 48t, 52t, 54t, 56t and 3 x 64t

04/03/2019 12:49:27

There is a lot of information on Atlas lathes and their offspring in the Vintage Machinery website here:

**LINK**

Thread: Very soft stretchy rubber grommets, where from?
07/02/2019 16:09:01

could you possibly cut a slice from a soft rubber hose such as this

**LINK**

Thread: Colin Chapman - Great Lives, 4:30 today
16/01/2019 13:00:35

The word tifosi is the Italian word for Fan.

Thread: A New Golden Age of Model Engineering Exhibitions
22/10/2018 11:51:23

Demonstrations of machinery in action would help, a 'few teaching sections (I would pay extra for this), so you can come away from the show having made something - which for the beginner would be great, also how to use the particular tool/lathe attachment/milling accessory etc., along with 'this model was made on this machine' type display.

Working in H&S I don't see a problem with offering the above if correct PPE and precautions are put in place, the excuse of we can't because of H&S is more like we can't be bothered to do this properly so won't bother to do it at all.

At the moment a few small running models, some static displays and a load of trade stalls doesn't give very good value on the entrance ticket price. I understand the ever increasing costs, but to give an increased cost without moving the show forward in what is offered is just going to kill the hobby.

But I do find it strange that I have to pay to enter a hall in order to buy the goods on offer, I don't have to pay to enter a shopping centre, why not separate the displays from the commercial stalls and only charge for the engineering models part, this should increase footfall for the trade with those just attending just to buy at show prices, of course the trade stands will still have to balance the cost of their pitch against possible increased sales, but if classes could be held during the show within the chargeable section this would keep interest.

I'm sure if you let a potential buyer of a machine use that machine at the show he/she is more likely to buy, especially if you can give them a delivery date or sell them the machinery they are actually trying.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne oct 2019
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest