By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Juddy

Here is a list of all the postings Juddy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Does charging your car battery on fast charge damage it?
23/11/2021 15:10:32

I think the tale of high charge rates damaging batteries comes from when dealerships would stick an 100amp charger on a battery prior to a test drive, or leave the a high amp charger on for extended periods of time which will distort the plates heating the battery drying out the fluid. Years ago buying a second hand car from a back street dealer normally resulted in the car needing a new battery fairly quickly after purchase. Probably not such an issue nowadays with regulated & controlled charging from modern chargers.

Thread: 3.5mm hex. head screws
22/11/2021 12:25:07

There are these:

Socket Head Cap Screws DIN 912 (ISO 4762) M3.5 in A4 Stainless Steel - Westfield Fasteners Ltd

or these:

M3.5 / 3.5mm Metric A2 Grade Stainless Steel Socket Cap Allen Bolt Screws | eBay

Thread: UK fires up old coal power plant as gas prices soar
03/11/2021 10:55:46

The use of UK sourced coal was stopped due to the high sulfur content which causes acid rain (now largely a thing of the past) the imported coal has a much lower sulfur content. This was one of the primary driving forces in the demise of the UK coal industry.

Thread: Warco HV6 rotary table
01/11/2021 11:02:33

Not every factory has quality modern machine tools, some of those far eastern factories rely on old worn out poorly maintained second hand machines, the quality of the products are reflected in this. Also some of the components are probably produced in back street workshops, like every product in this modern world the big factories sub a lot smaller parts to little producers.

Thread: Lathe query.
26/10/2021 11:49:36

be care with that switch fuse, that type may well have asbestos cloth behind the fuse carriers, don't pull the fuses out close the box isolate the feed to the box cut the conduit either side of the switch fuse double bag in plastic and take to your local recycling centre. Check if they take asbestos first.

22/10/2021 10:40:53

If you are confident with your rewiring I would obtain a Siemens contractor and overload unit rated for your motor. You will have to be careful with the selection as the contactor coil voltage maybe different to the line voltage, do you have a transformer in circuit that will reduce the control voltage? The control voltage could be anything from 24v D.C. to 240v (phase & neutral) or full 415v.

Before you buy a contractor check if there is an overload unit attached to the original unit if there is and it has tripped it will prevent the contactor closing, there will be a reset button on one side of the overload to reset it. Reset it with the power off. If it trips again the setting could be wrong, it maybe an old oil dash pot type and needs the dash pots refilled with oil or you have a fault with the motor, or the motor/head is seized and it is an overloaded motor.

Edited By Juddy on 22/10/2021 10:41:50

Thread: Woodmaster Table Saw
15/09/2021 11:53:11

Old switch gear very often contains Asbestos, either chrysotile cloth behind the fuses or asbestos flash guards around the contacts. Don’t open the box just cut the conduit or cable either side remove the box place in plastic bag and place that bag in a bag -double bag and take to your recycling centre. They often have a hazardous waste container and will accept domestic waste such as this depending on your local council policy. If you open the box you risk contaminating your workshop as there is no knowing what the condition of the contents is or what is actually in there.

Thread: Attaching a wooden disc to a Rotary Table without break through
10/09/2021 08:19:21

Glue four tenons under the disc to match the tee slot positions and place on the RT, number them and the slots so you can place it back in the same place each use. It won’t move under the pressure of a pen. No need to glue to the RT if the tenons are a good fit.

Thread: A SIMPLE POINT !
27/08/2021 11:25:54

Isn't a bolt used in conjunction with a nut (& washer etc.) and a screw (machine, set, grub, shoulder etc.) is fitted to a threaded hole although there will be as many opinions on this as there are types of screws and bolts

Thread: Vise/Vice advise
11/08/2021 13:26:41

I too have the wm18 milling machine, I have a Vertex VA5 which is an excellent vice, very well made with accurate jaws with next to zero jaw lift, expensive but this quality will be a one time buy.

Vertex Swivel Base Milling Vice 4" VA-4 | eBay

Thread: Silver Solder Stocks
23/07/2021 10:39:51
Posted by Circlip on 23/07/2021 10:29:23:

Wonder how many Muddle Ingineers who made boilers in the past have died of Cadmium poisening? Rather unfortunate that those of us with half a brain cell have to be penalised to safeguard the dipsticks.

Regards Ian.

its hard to say as it is a known cause of cancer - do you know of any model engineers who have died of cancer!!

Cadmium and its compounds are highly toxic and exposure to this metal is known to cause cancer and targets the body's cardiovascular, renal, gastrointestinal, neurological, reproductive, and respiratory systems.

Thread: Hydrogen
22/07/2021 09:44:16

Farming is going in a different direction the use of methane will become more normal: New Holland will add methane powered tractor to range in 2021 - AFDJ

the intention is to create energy neutral farms producing methane from animal & farm waste, there are already a number of farms selling methane to the national grid so it is a small step to fuel the tractors and other equipment in the near future.

Thread: Boxford Model A
02/07/2021 07:44:51

There is a free pdf of the boxford lathe here: boxford_know_your_lathe.pdf (pulse-jets.com)

Thread: Lack of material and prices
11/06/2021 10:11:39

The shortage of materials, parts and finished goods isn't due to the border controls. The well-known company I work for which makes agricultural machinery has huge problems getting parts and materials we have over 80 million pounds of part finished machines waiting for parts, constant daily shortages resulting in production delays.

The border controls have added a day to the logistic pipeline which means adding a day to the lead time before the part is needed on the production line which hasn’t been a big problem. Finished goods into EU and parts out of EU has settled down to almost normal. We have registered as an AEO which allows unrestricted import of parts to us, which effectively makes us the border point for our parts.

The problem is getting parts and materials due to the months of backlog in supplier’s inventory due to Covid, this is around the world not just EU or UK. The whole pipeline from raw material to finished parts emptied out and have yet to fill, manufacturers have been reluctant step up production not knowing if more disruption is on the way, who wants to hold expensive stock if the market collapses as it did last year.

We stopped early on in the pandemic last March for 5 weeks, restarting at the beginning of May ’20 and haven’t stopped since, our order books are full, and production speed is up, the only thing holding us back is parts & material supply, and believe me we are prepared to pay the increased cost to secure supply.

This is a big business problem the plant I work in, which is one of 69 around the world, turns over nearly £1 Billion per year on its own, so the price we are prepared to pay to keep producing drives up the prices across the board.

To the argumentative bunch I know what I'm talking about, I’ve spent the last 15 months trying to keep a major UK factory going and in profit, you would not believe the amount spent in this effort.

Edited By Juddy on 11/06/2021 10:12:57

Edited By Juddy on 11/06/2021 10:13:23

Thread: Best place to buy materials
09/06/2021 11:22:16

This may be the reaon Parker has such strict policies: https://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/news/firm-fined-after-workers-seriou-a9451/

Thread: Hinckley C
08/06/2021 11:14:01

Very interesting site here: https://grid.iamkate.com/

National Grid live status

Thread: Portable vice - buying advice sought
29/04/2021 12:39:32

Get a B&D workmate and screw a decent vice to that, good strong multi-purpose work platform that can be folded away.

Thread: A milling anomaly
24/02/2021 16:47:39

Could it be a combination of undersized cutter thread and worn collet thread allowing the cutter to pull through? Would it be worth checking how well the cutter screws into the collet.

Thread: One place for all ???
12/02/2021 08:55:32

I would be asking myself, if the tool suppliers don't stock what I think I need is there a demand for it why doesn't anybody else need these tools and do you actually need them yourself or will ever use them.

They don't stock them because nobody uses them, there are probably better items that do the same job or its the wrong tool in the first place.

Thread: Spares stock...
20/11/2020 11:59:59

I need a spare me, this one is worn out

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
rapid Direct
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
emcomachinetools
walker midge
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest