By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Juddy

Here is a list of all the postings Juddy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Timing Belt
14/06/2022 10:37:34

try ebay there's loads on there: sander drive belt: Search Result | eBay

Edited By Juddy on 14/06/2022 10:37:52

Thread: mini grinders
20/05/2022 11:53:43

I've got one of these: KATSU Die Grinder Variable Speed 6mm 320w (aimtools.co.uk)

for the price is great doesn't get hot at all

the same company do this as well: KATSU Electric Straight Die Grinder 6mm 101730 (aimtools.co.uk)

Thread: Drone advice needed, please
13/05/2022 10:00:26

There is now Regulations for where and who can fly drones which also require registration and training how much training I think depends on the size of the drone and what your going to do with it. I don’t think its complicated but it does need consideration before going out and spending money.

Register to fly a drone or model aircraft | Civil Aviation Authority (caa.co.uk)

Thread: How I am wasting time
04/05/2022 13:43:54
Posted by PatJ on 02/05/2022 23:36:57:

I use to get extraordinarily nervous before an iron pour, especially after these burns, but I finally got use to the heat and such, and now it is rather a routine thing to pour iron.

I do wear a lot of leathers, and I use a heat shield on the pouring shank.

00041.jpg

why don't you tuck your glove inside your sleeve?

Thread: Finding things
24/03/2022 14:38:18

Yes, or buy another one and the lost one will turn up as soon as the new one arrives

Thread: Financial surnames
09/03/2022 12:48:00

I knew a Cliff Edge, Mr C. Edge

Thread: Greenwashing
03/03/2022 12:33:25

Corporations are in business to make money, if you don't like the way they conduct their business don't buy their products.

and yes I do think Dyson are over priced compared to other makes and I choose not to buy one because of that. I have a Henry as well.

The most likely reason for an online instruction manual is the multiple languages required in today’s international world. It will never be a 5-page booklet any more. The online manual will be accessed via a market specific link in your language meeting the legislation of your country.

Thread: Glasses -- sometimes called headlamps
28/02/2022 15:11:55

I would imagine the screws are underneath so that if they do come out they fall away from the eye not into it?

Thread: A Great Machinist
25/02/2022 08:26:25

If you like big lathe work have a look at this chap in Aus, works mostly alone repairing mining equipment on lathes up to 4M long

Cutting Edge Engineering Australia - YouTube

very good

just add this link to his new! shaper Is This The BIGGEST Shaper on YouTube? | Klopp 1000H Shaper - YouTube

Edited By Juddy on 25/02/2022 08:29:31

Thread: That Strange Calculator Again
13/01/2022 16:23:29

This is a guess but could it be for rope or cable making, calculating the number and size of wire strands to form a cable of a given strength or finished size

Thread: Speed Camera Flashes?
06/01/2022 11:22:47

The statement from the OP which seems not to have been picked up by the forum, which I find quite shocking when traveling at 80MPH + is 'Gabbing away to the missus so did not notice the speed increase', how is this possible do you not pay attention to your driving and what speed you are travelling at.

Perhaps if you cannot control your car and the speed you are travelling at you shouldn't be driving. If it hadn't been a speed camera, but instead a pedestrian, cow, deer or horse would you have noticed as you chatted away to your wife at 80mph.

very poor driving, you are in control (or supposed to be) of a lethal machine.

Thread: Shortening Screws
13/12/2021 10:57:12

Junior hacksaw normally, dependent on the screw size, screw a nut onto the thread first then cut and file unscrew the nut which will clean the odd deformed thread at the end of the screw. Larger bolts, lock two nuts on the bolt cut off the unwanted portion with a hacksaw in the vice, clean up the end in the lathe or file.

Thread: Is Model Engineering "green"?
29/11/2021 12:34:41

The hobby can never be considered green, the models we make in general run-on fossil fuels for a start, and apart from repairing a few old machines etc. the hobby does not make useful items from the energy and materials consumed except to the individual’s enjoyment in the making. All in all, the output from a model engineering workshop is as pointless as a lot of the toys and trivia produced in the world. Of course this is missing the point of occupying a lot of people who would need some other form of enjoyment to fill their time, with whatever that alternative hobby would be, it is almost certain it would also not be ‘green’, as what human activity is truly ‘green’.

Thread: Does charging your car battery on fast charge damage it?
23/11/2021 15:10:32

I think the tale of high charge rates damaging batteries comes from when dealerships would stick an 100amp charger on a battery prior to a test drive, or leave the a high amp charger on for extended periods of time which will distort the plates heating the battery drying out the fluid. Years ago buying a second hand car from a back street dealer normally resulted in the car needing a new battery fairly quickly after purchase. Probably not such an issue nowadays with regulated & controlled charging from modern chargers.

Thread: 3.5mm hex. head screws
22/11/2021 12:25:07

There are these:

Socket Head Cap Screws DIN 912 (ISO 4762) M3.5 in A4 Stainless Steel - Westfield Fasteners Ltd

or these:

M3.5 / 3.5mm Metric A2 Grade Stainless Steel Socket Cap Allen Bolt Screws | eBay

Thread: UK fires up old coal power plant as gas prices soar
03/11/2021 10:55:46

The use of UK sourced coal was stopped due to the high sulfur content which causes acid rain (now largely a thing of the past) the imported coal has a much lower sulfur content. This was one of the primary driving forces in the demise of the UK coal industry.

Thread: Warco HV6 rotary table
01/11/2021 11:02:33

Not every factory has quality modern machine tools, some of those far eastern factories rely on old worn out poorly maintained second hand machines, the quality of the products are reflected in this. Also some of the components are probably produced in back street workshops, like every product in this modern world the big factories sub a lot smaller parts to little producers.

Thread: Lathe query.
26/10/2021 11:49:36

be care with that switch fuse, that type may well have asbestos cloth behind the fuse carriers, don't pull the fuses out close the box isolate the feed to the box cut the conduit either side of the switch fuse double bag in plastic and take to your local recycling centre. Check if they take asbestos first.

22/10/2021 10:40:53

If you are confident with your rewiring I would obtain a Siemens contractor and overload unit rated for your motor. You will have to be careful with the selection as the contactor coil voltage maybe different to the line voltage, do you have a transformer in circuit that will reduce the control voltage? The control voltage could be anything from 24v D.C. to 240v (phase & neutral) or full 415v.

Before you buy a contractor check if there is an overload unit attached to the original unit if there is and it has tripped it will prevent the contactor closing, there will be a reset button on one side of the overload to reset it. Reset it with the power off. If it trips again the setting could be wrong, it maybe an old oil dash pot type and needs the dash pots refilled with oil or you have a fault with the motor, or the motor/head is seized and it is an overloaded motor.

Edited By Juddy on 22/10/2021 10:41:50

Thread: Woodmaster Table Saw
15/09/2021 11:53:11

Old switch gear very often contains Asbestos, either chrysotile cloth behind the fuses or asbestos flash guards around the contacts. Don’t open the box just cut the conduit or cable either side remove the box place in plastic bag and place that bag in a bag -double bag and take to your recycling centre. They often have a hazardous waste container and will accept domestic waste such as this depending on your local council policy. If you open the box you risk contaminating your workshop as there is no knowing what the condition of the contents is or what is actually in there.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest