By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Les Britten

Here is a list of all the postings Les Britten has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Moving to Australia - Moving Workshop Machines
17/04/2019 22:14:12

Hi all,

Thank you for all of your supporting messages. After I posted that initial message, went to see the machines and then decided to sell them. However, after all of your support, I rolled my sleeves up and decided to take them with me. As such, you lot have a lot to answer for its it all doesn’t go to plan!! 😉

I have cleaned the machines to the best of my abilities, I couldn’t bring myself to get the pressure washer over them given the long journey ahead of them, as such, I went for the degreaser (jizzser) & rag approach with the help of a compressor (yes I know before I get told off!!) and was mostly happy with my efforts. The only downside is those really hard to get bits that your can not get to unless you take apart the machines. i.e. under the headstock, knee of the mill etc. I then applied a good spray grease on the ways and I will leave at that and hope for the best.

The machines are being crated and loaded buy the moving company. My new company are paying for the house move, but will not pay for the heavy lift items. As such, it will cost me around £2500 for my workshop doing a door to door move. I didn’t think too bad given the cost of replacement machines, and it is a door to door move to the other side of the world.

Sadly, I will have to leave the stash of oils etc. behind as it was recommended to leave these behind. I was told that in a can they would be classed as hazardous goods, but in a gearbox, well that would be fine…. Make any sense here? I will also be leaving behind my Elliott 10M due to lack of cleaning time, but as least I will have the lathes and mill! Pity, look past the surface rust, and there was a really good restoration project there. (Was a late model)

I was surprised to hear that the humidity will play havoc on the machines, I was thinking the other way around given that most of my “rust” battles are here in the winter with the cold damp conditions.

Perko7, thanks for your offer to meet up, will get in touch once we are settled in, Am looking to live in a similar area. Currently looking from the Springfield, Greenbank, Jimboomba etc. areas. Hopefully I an find a place with once of those workshops to rent!! Please let me know if there are any areas to stay well clear of.

Will let you all know how it goes, start packing tomorrow, we fly out on the 25th and the container leave the port on the 29th. Yikes!!!

Les

11/04/2019 08:07:51

Hi All,

I have been a secret lurker of this forum for a number of years now, and thought it was time I picked your thoughts, in particular the Aussie members.

I have been into model engineering for some time now, and built up my collection of machines grabbing some bargains when they present themselves.

However, due to a job change I am now in the process of relocating my family and home from the UK to Brisbane. As such, I have 2 lathes (Chipmaster/Harrison L5) and a Bridgeport that I either need to take with me or… sell?

If I take with me, handling and quarantine are my biggest concerns with general cleanliness being picked upon (apparently any seen contaminant may result in cleaning/treatment charges) and machines in their nature have plenty of nooks and crannies on them that can hold "contaminates". If I sell, I may have to buy one of those “Import” ones that some/do/don’t say stay well clear of or give up the hobby.

So… To take or not to take? Has anyone on this site done something of this nature, or advise me where I can get good machines from Australia. I had contacted someone from the Queensland Model Engineering Society in Brisbane, and he had advised that he imported a Bridgeport from here in the UK suggesting what I found was the lack of good/reasonable second hand machines that we see here in the UK.

Any thoughts welcome,

Many thanks,

Les

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
cowbells
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Meridenne Boat 2019
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest