By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for john brown 17

Here is a list of all the postings john brown 17 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Alloy joining
03/05/2020 17:44:14

Yes not done it yet about sums it up ,my welds are techno weld rods ,just use a stainless brush to clean the area and away you go,just heat up the parts to be joined and keep rubbing the rod along till it starts to stick a bit then heat a bit more and run the rod along ,but keep the flame away from the rod ,the heat in the alloy makes it work not the torch,like l said in my first post l took a big hammer to the test weld before it would break ,have also been testing with 1mm thick plate just using a small blow torch and it works great plus it drills and taps ok so one can fill holes etc file flat and away you go,after playing with test bits then the job l needed done still have about half of one of the rods left,you get five rods and a s/s wire brush for about £20 to the door, so well worth it to have in the work shop,it even worked well repairing round a bit of old die casting just to se if it would and again great,makes a change to se what it says on the box indeed works.

john

03/05/2020 12:58:30

Needed to join some funny shape alloy bits together, so used some rods that you use a blow torch to weld them together,well am so pleased with it ,it opens up a good way to join alloy parts together,l even had a go with some crappy cast alloy ,for the test used 6 mm and some 10 mm plate , and had to beat the hell out of them to break them very pleased .

john

Thread: Number punches
25/04/2020 19:20:44

Many thanks for all the info ,gave me a lot to think about, looks like a very kind member here will sort me out with a drawing,you all are most kind.

john

24/04/2020 19:02:48

Hi all has any one got a drawing or have they made a number an letter stamp jig,do have trouble making them look neat free hand.

Thread: Drawing Help
18/02/2020 06:11:05

Thanks jason ,this time l have printed them off ,again you have been a great help.

john

17/02/2020 19:06:26

Well done jason ,yes they sell them ,and thanks bill ,have a mate who uses the usa forums so may give them a try ,if not will order them from stuarts ,again thanks for the help.

john

17/02/2020 18:49:37

Thanks bill yes the no8 is the one ,just need to find a drawing

17/02/2020 18:29:45

Sorry bill the boiler is vertical and the engines are horizontal

john

17/02/2020 18:09:37

Can any body help out with a drawing,months ago l was sent a drawing of the stuart type steam engine with a one inch bore , this type of engine was used on the Mitch - Cal N02 shay and as l will need to make a pair of this type for a donkey engine model. I new l should have printed the drawings then and there but left it on the putor and now its gone and the chap that sent it to me is know longer about,the drawing had all the details an sizes so making them would have ok,can any one help out with this please.

john

Thread: mystery file
15/02/2020 16:54:43

I have a a few like that ,use mine on car body work filler and when using lead to take it down a bit ,hope this helps.

john

Thread: Silver solder
24/01/2020 15:29:28

Well giving credit where it is due , Cup Alloys were very helpful with advice and my order came very quickly ,nice people to deal with.

Thread: Stanley Blade Lathe Finishing Tool
30/12/2019 17:53:58

Well l want one ,wonder what the price will be ? ort yet another tool to make,happy new year to you all.

john

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2019
01/12/2019 17:37:32

That is fine work you are doing jason,well done am following along .

john

Thread: Gear cutting
01/12/2019 17:34:01

When cutting gears,is it best to round a couple of times to get the depth or in one pass ,they are 48 dp gears ,in brass .

john

Thread: Chain
30/11/2019 17:09:50

Thanks bill ,l feel a right fool now why l did not think of looking on there in the first place, thats great they also list the chain in 3mm ,it looks stong so think l will go for the 3mm,again thanks.

john

30/11/2019 16:48:24

Hi all ,am in need of help finding some chain for the steering on my build,l am after 24 inches of 1/8" plain link chain,have mailed a few firms but none have it in stock and do not know when they will get more,then a couple say they can supply but have to buy a whole reel of it,so am stuck,theres lots to be had in the states but none happy to ship to the uk ,a mate of mine said he will post on the HMEM site for me to se if anyone can help there,so any thoughts please.

john

Thread: Tailstock indexing
25/11/2019 16:32:13

Thanks hopper ,my barrel now has a scale,likie you said simple to do.

25/11/2019 06:00:44

Thanks bandersnatch l agree am quite happy with the scale on my southbend ,but there is no scale on my myfords tailstock barrel ,so that has always been a problem,mybe l should try an get a a s/h barrel for it,but that can wait till l have got a degree in rocket science.

24/11/2019 19:53:40

Brought a book the model engineer vol.100 jan - june 1949 ,and am reading my way through it an laughing at the ads for the prices then ,but have found a bit about making a indexing dial for the tailstock,has any one made one of them ,l seem to get trouble drilling holes to the right depth ,and in the book say that you can get the depth dead accurate,he worked out for the gradutions by the thread on the barrel being 1/8" pitch then 125 divisions = 1 division being 1 thou,perhaps one of you clever people can say what l would need for the ml7 ie divisions.

john

Thread: Oilers
23/11/2019 16:25:58

Well with luck l have sorted them out,striped them apart ,and junked the washers and have made new rubber ones,as for the needle a good clean with wire wool an a small tap to seat it and its has been fine for hours now so time will tell,would l buy them again nooooooooo .

john

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest