By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Rockingdodge

Here is a list of all the postings Rockingdodge has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Heat insulation
14/10/2019 19:11:30

Whereabouts are you Bob? There might be a club you could join with the required kit and expertise to see you through your first boiler? or possibly one of us on the forum might live close to you willing to give a hand.

Roger

Thread: Muncaster's Simple Entablature Engine
11/10/2019 13:18:44

Hi John,

I think you'll find the guides are milled out of solid, you wouldn't be able to join then and get the strength required to resist movement whatever way you joined them.

Roger

01/10/2019 19:00:17

Yes Jason, I did remember but assumed that Lee wasn't going to make them any more and was clearing surplus stock. My mistake, your fault.smileycheeky

01/10/2019 15:48:45

What would be the options for a spiral flywheel in the UK Jason?

01/10/2019 11:40:59

Assuming this side of the pond meaning the US of A! laugh

Thread: Boiler build abandoned !
27/09/2019 14:11:49

I would also be refluxing the joints already soldered at each stage as well

Thread: What the he**
24/09/2019 18:12:54

Valve springs = regular travel and load, road springs = variable travel and load plus shock,

23/09/2019 20:16:24

Went to collect my grandson from primary school today, parked in the car park and came back to a flat tire, another parent said the tire literally exploded! went off with a big bang.

Called out the RAC who arrived and readied the spare and proceeded to change the tire...... ooops not coming off! Transpires that the coil spring had snapped and drove itself through the tire wall, not going to let go so ended up being trailed to the garage.

Thoughts came to mind, what if it had happened earlier when I was doing 70 on the motorway or going back home from the school in the heavy rain we were having at the time?

Never heard of a coil spring letting go in my 50 years and 2 million odd miles of driving although I've had leaf springs break a few times.

Nice thing to happen the day before my birthday. crying

Roger

Thread: My forge rebuild
21/09/2019 20:19:06

Try Forge Rebuild

Roger

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
18/09/2019 10:37:59

As was I, and need to declare it and any other issues to your insurers.

Edited By Rockingdodge on 18/09/2019 10:40:26

31/08/2019 11:38:12
Posted by JasonB on 31/08/2019 07:20:51:

I don't see any reason not to up the bore to 1", probably best to make the OD of the cylinder a bit larger say 29-30mm and to keep the shaping simple the valve chest and cover would need widening to match. Oil it up well after use to lessen any chance of corrosion.

Assuming the Gunmetal is for bearings then yest that will be OK too, I would also use this or brass for the piston rather than risk the specified aluminium one picking up should it run on the now aluminium cylinder.

J

Thanks Jason, I've just found some 50mm dia ci so might use that instead. The bronze I have is LG2, is that suitable for bearing?

Roger

Edited By Rockingdodge on 31/08/2019 11:38:49

30/08/2019 14:32:10

Hi Jason, couple of questions: I'm planning to make the cylinder out of alum alloy, could I take the bore out to 1"? My chunk has a hole already! indecision

I have plenty of gunmetal in stock but no suitable sizes of bronze, can I use this instead?

Could pdf's of the plans to the correct scales be made available as they are printed in the mag, same as you have done with the cylinder?

Thanks

roger

Thread: Boiler testing pump - plans ?
25/08/2019 18:06:44

I read some of the comments on that Manomano hand pump, guess you pays your money and takes your chance!

Seems to be built down to a price rather than built to a reasonable standard at a competative price,

Roger

13/08/2019 20:45:24

Thanks Jason, much appreciated. smiley

13/08/2019 18:26:57

Hi Jason, you mention using small metric sizes with fine threads, could you list the ones I would need along with taps and dies as mine start at M3 or would I be able to use BA sizes as I have 2 to 8 ba in stock.

Regards

Roger (newbie)

29/07/2019 18:56:26

Thanks Jason, yes it's a shame about College Engineering, there were some useful castings that are now always out of stock.

29/07/2019 15:58:30

Where's the flywheel from Jason?

Thread: V-Twin 100cc Design & Build
27/07/2019 15:54:01

What type and size plane are you building Craig?

Roger

Thread: chinese hit and miss engine
27/07/2019 15:43:23
Posted by not done it yet on 26/07/2019 22:46:11:

As I have repeatedly stated, I recommend that people don’t buy anything from them that the buyer cannot afford to throw away. There customer service reeks - if it exists at all.

Totally disagree with you, there are some items that are not up to standard but in the main all I have bought from there over the past 6 years have been fine and even great. There have been instances where goods have not arrived, not all there or broke in a short time but every time I contact them I have had a good proactive response and replacement even with extras to say sorry.

Must be your attitude when you contact them not done it yet wink, oh and I always have photos/videos at the ready.

Roger

Edited By Rockingdodge on 27/07/2019 15:45:12

Thread: Which Stuart models can be done on a 7x14 lathe with no mill?
24/07/2019 19:25:21

There's a chap, Andrew Whale, has been doing a series of youtube videos creating small Stuart engines Learning Turning, he's using a mini lathe and then eventually a mini mill but his first Stuart engine, after an oscillator was an S50. Worth while following his journey.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Meridenne Boat 2019
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest