By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Rockingdodge

Here is a list of all the postings Rockingdodge has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Fake Websites
18/05/2019 21:56:28

Yes those milling machines are for 'milling' minerals and is totally legit, been around for years.

Thread: Polly II query
14/04/2019 16:59:03

Hi, Just been firing up a friends Polly II built around 1978 for a shake down and found an issue with the regulator. It seemed to be stuck in the closed position and when opened it looks to be unscrewing itself rather than opening the valve.

My question is if I remove the bolts off the backhead and try to withdraw the regulator should it come out as an assembly and can I then use threadlock to stop it unscrewing itself?

I am assuming that the assembly is threaded and not a press fit even though the plans don't show any threading.

Any advice will be gratefully received. smiley

Thanks

Roger

Thread: Aldi 3D printer
05/04/2019 15:41:56

Nice printers, can be made much better with upgrades on Thingiverse such as braces for the Z axis, parts cooling fan oh and get an ally bed plate, the pressed steel one tends to move about a bit upseting the Z settings.

Roger

Thread: Using a propane cylinder for partable compressed air.
04/04/2019 18:40:20

I question the argument re corrosion when compressor tanks use the same/ similar metals and I suspect that propane tanks are of a thicker gauge than the air tank sat in your workshop. How many of those have been tested during their life and how many of you religiously drain your tanks on at least a weekly basis?

Propane tanks are tested to approx 400 psig on a 10 to 15 year cycle and they are not bought they are hired and should be returned after the need has been fulfilled.

Edited By Rockingdodge on 04/04/2019 18:42:33

Thread: Anyone recognize this?
27/03/2019 10:12:17
Posted by Jeff Dayman on 26/03/2019 23:33:49:

I was going to say "table saw" (grey thingy at left) but Jason beat me to it with the Flymo wit.

I wouldn't add too much tapping to it - you'll spoil the paint and chips will fill the tappings!

Seriously, though - you may need to change pulleys and belt to toothed synchronous type, from the round urethane orange one, for tapping anything bigger than about M4. Not a big deal to change it over though, if need be. Try it and see - with the high reduction the round orange belt may be fine.

Hi Jeff, I did mean manual tapping, i don't think the motor would have enough torque and there would be little control.

The drive shaft is held by a nut on the top and my thoughts were to make an extended nut and make a handle similar to the G H Thomas Universal Pillar Tool, and by releasing the balance weight I would have a super dooper tapping machine.laugh

Roger

Oh, and I don't eat chips in the workshop cheeky

Edited By Rockingdodge on 27/03/2019 10:13:19

26/03/2019 20:00:46

There's no id on the castings but the gears are well made, the motor looks to be french. I picked it up for £28 at a local auction, I think I can add tapping to it without too much effort.

Edited By Rockingdodge on 26/03/2019 20:04:07

26/03/2019 19:59:10

Ha ha, nice one Jason. cheeky

26/03/2019 19:53:53

drill press.jpg

Thread: What is a good quality lathe paint
19/03/2019 21:22:24

+1 for Tractol, used it to restore my Denham Junior and Record vice.

Thread: Denham Junior Mk2 Drawbar
12/03/2019 18:42:23
Posted by ega on 12/03/2019 17:31:00:

PS You could always chuck a piece of scrap and turn a centre on that with the driving dog then running against the chuck jaw.

Having the chuck on will take too much travel off.

Roger

12/03/2019 18:40:54
Posted by John Baguley on 12/03/2019 17:28:22:

Mine's 3MT. Just been and checked smiley

John

Cheers John, I'll order up a 3MT dead centre then.

Roger

12/03/2019 15:45:21

A good idea but I only have 1 &2 mt and the main tapers are R8, will try to beg, borrow or acquire one to try

12/03/2019 15:27:03

Thanks Brian, been there, got manual but no info contained therein. It's probably the first items to be discarded, damaged, not replaced and so forgotten in the annals of time. sad

Roger

12/03/2019 15:01:37

Ok they are not 5C collets, way too big, the spindle bore is 0.75" with a slightly larger taper so how can I find what taper this is?

Anyone?

Roger

12/03/2019 13:15:20

Can anyone tell me if the lathe uses 5C collets or if not what the taper is in the spindle please?

I would like to use a centre but don't know how to do it in this lathe.

I'm thinking if it uses collets then I could machine up a drawbar and use a collet to hold a centre. Of course I would like a kind person to give me the dimensions of said drawbar to do this. wink

Can anyone help please?

Roger

Thread: Machining cork!
04/03/2019 19:59:45

Turn one out of balsa wood?

Thread: Anyone got this lathe?
04/03/2019 15:51:36

An invisible lathe? Not sure, can't see mine laugh

Thread: Balco 3D Printer
27/02/2019 23:02:08
Posted by Michael Cox 1 on 27/02/2019 22:13:04:

My Balco printer, the same as the current offering from Aldi, has a very firm steel frame and is already equipped with a cooling fan on the extruder. I have had no problems with it straight out of the box except for the levelling screws on the print table being a bit loose. This problem was easily solved by printing some washers that fit under the springs of the levelling screws.

Mike

There can be and is a degree of flex between the tower and the base which can easily be firmed up with the trusses, the screws attaching the frame to the base are not strong enough to stop movement away from true vertical and the cooling fan is for the part not the extruder itself.

27/02/2019 19:50:52

They are nice printers but it is worthwhile to print some of the Thingiverse 'accessories' to firm up the tower and also print a cooler fan for the extruder. makes a real difference.

Roger

Thread: Workshop - indoors or outdoors
25/02/2019 20:35:35

Go for both? wink

Roger

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest