By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Adrian R2

Here is a list of all the postings Adrian R2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Drill bit storage
17/05/2022 09:10:54

Agreed, I could buy a full set and be prepared for anything, but if I buy the usual 2-10mm offering then I get wholes and halves...my only explanation is that the manufactures think that DIYers don't do tapping and like a nice big clearance around their bolts.

Tracy tools do a tapping sizes set (no mention of a storage box), but that's the only one I've found so far, otherwise it's drill and tap sets and I have enough taps already.

16/05/2022 17:08:22

A related point. Why don't metric drills come in useful sets? i.e. ones that include tapping sizes for the standard fastenings - I seem to have little use for the half sizes that come in standard sets but then I am missing 3.3 and 4.2 for tapping M4 and M5. Or am I looking for the wrong thing, or doing it wrong entirely?

I do sometimes use an x.5 to drill a smaller hole then y to get the size I want, but this is two operations and if I'm going to do two operations then why don't I just get a set of reamers?

(Sorry, musing...)

Thread: Workshop warming
28/04/2022 13:57:15

Is your workshop insulated and draught proofed? If not, can you make it so or at least improve it before autumn?

Thread: Need advice on clearing Dads shed
28/04/2022 12:43:09

@Dave, I think ebay now issues the purchaser with a reference code that the seller should ask for when collection is made to confirm the transaction and close this loophole. I've not tried this in practice yet.

Thread: Meddings Dril Tru - What to do?
04/04/2022 11:58:24

Possible yes as pulley is softer than shaft so more likely to have worn out of round, but not guaranteed.

Is the one on the motor end the same? In bodger's corner I might try stoning the damaged shaft to take off the ridges then swapping them over and if it looked promising then perhaps some stud & bearing fit compound.

Thread: "Kiv" or Kiev?
31/03/2022 13:47:08

Because the people who live in it asked that it be referred to using their pronounciation, several years ago, but it's only recent circumstances that have caused us to pay attention - nuff said.

**LINK**

Thread: Gasless MIG welding
28/03/2022 11:30:56

The main advantage of MIG for me is that when I mess up and blow a hole I can pulse the trigger and blob enough weld in to fill it up and then try again. Never got the hang of doing this with arc, have been trying to learn TIG but have probably left it too late as dexterity and eyesight aren't up to it, and it's slow going compared to the others.

I use a SIP unit bought in late eighties, looks very similar to Clarke units still sold by Machine Mart & others now. I have had refillable bottles in the past when doing car work but for odd jobs now the disposables are OK, note there are different fill capacities for the same size bottle (390g vs 600g) so read description carefully before buying.

Thread: LED bulbs
24/03/2022 11:35:52

[Thread drift] Perhaps depends when you last moved, but actual paper deeds are obsolete now, surely? All you need is the reference to the entry on the Land Registry, as that poor chap who was defrauded of his unnoccupied house while living away found out.

Thread: Mc Donald Model tractor
24/03/2022 11:26:55

Was cartridge start an option for these beasts? That would be an interesting thing to reproduce at model scale.

Thread: LED bulbs
23/03/2022 17:22:43

I like the filament ones and have bought these from several places. Most have lasted well, none have failed completely but a few started flickering. Some which were bought via Amazon I did manage to get replaced, others I tried but found that the company had phoenixed in spite of having the same trading name and would not honour previous guarantees. Good news was that they all lasted long enough to save money vs incandescent.

Thread: upgrade variable speed motor
22/03/2022 10:45:47

Found it - see page 3 of this thread:
https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=177038&p=3

Edited By Adrian R2 on 22/03/2022 10:46:06

22/03/2022 09:19:33

Some people have used industrial sewing machine motors (DC, lots of torque and IIRC much cheaper than an inverter setup) - I remember reading the threads fairly recently but can't find them now

Thread: FAULTY DRILL BITS !
15/03/2022 16:02:46

Ebay seller appears to be a legitimate UK business with a VAT number and premises in Carlisle, so I think it would be a mistake to bundle them in with overseas box shippers and a good idea to avoid making judgements about their products when you have not actually purchased them.

Thread: FOR THE EXPERTS !
14/03/2022 10:30:58

Well that would explain it. The googling I did when you did posted this implied that a poorly 903 was best swapped out for something more modern. It's a bigger beast than I've ever tackled so no idea if there is enough space or how much of a job this is but if the owners want it to run reliably for the future then may be worth considering. Fuel consumption and emissions will likely improve as well.

Thread: Is this a record fuel price ?
14/03/2022 09:42:27

The Bank of England inflation calculator tells me that £1.28 in 2008 money is the equivalent of £1.82 in 2021 (2.6% compound over 13 years) so not that different really.

Our local station remains competetive but has reintroduced the minimum purchase limit for diesel, presumably they don't want muppets queuing down the road again.

Thread: Covid
16/02/2022 16:56:01

Statistics - treat this as a rhetorical question but if you have a condition such as diabetes which you manage with insulin for decades, living an otherwise normal life and then catch covid and succumb, how would you like your cause of death to be attributed?

For those not interested in being sucked in by conspiracy theorists, both fullfact.org and BBC More or Less are worth consulting to help understand numbers such as the one quoted above.

Thread: FOR THE EXPERTS !
14/02/2022 12:01:30

If top end is OK then as you say a cracked/holed liner seems possible although I'd also be expecting some water in the sump should this be case - one clue to this is if the dipstick oil level rises of its own accord after engine has been sitting. Could be luck depending on whether the piston stops with the leak above or below rings.

07/02/2022 09:12:39

Cummins 903 in a marine installation? Don't know it but I would be thinking about easy to fix ways that the water could get in the cylinder - on other engines I have had badly seated injectors and failed manifold gaskets cause this, both a lot less work than pulling a cylinder head. A leakdown test would probably tell you more.

Thread: Motor protection
02/02/2022 17:24:10

The summary for the 3/4HP (550W) 2 pole from MM says frame size 71 and 14mm shaft.

Spec sheet here to check against yours:
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/AspSiteAssets/download_files/ClarkeElectricMotors.pdf

Here endeth my knowledge on the subject!

02/02/2022 16:48:03

Machine Mart sell Clarke motors - which one do you need?

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/categories/?search=motor

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest