By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Benjamin Day

Here is a list of all the postings Benjamin Day has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Filling defects in slideways
13/02/2019 13:18:50
It looks like the high temp version needs heating for an hour, i dont think the "regular" stuff does. Glad this was shared, good to know about. seems like fantastic stuff! It reminds me of the silver, gold and bronze clays for jewlery making, but thay needs to be heated quite a lot.
The heat block stuff looks good too!
Thread: Very soft stretchy rubber grommets, where from?
07/02/2019 19:59:06
Forgot about that stuff Neil, if i remember it can go pretty hard after a while... for any small low repeat/single use molds I need I use a mix of the aforementioned el cheap-o silicone sealant and Corn flour!....it doesn't set that fast though. Flexible but not all that stretchy.
Thread: Threading a bar for 6ba
07/02/2019 19:34:50
Ian, search watchmaker die plate. Several size dies are all on one plate, they usually come with the silly tiny taps too. Hope this helps!
Thread: Very soft stretchy rubber grommets, where from?
07/02/2019 18:53:32
I would say quite likely to be honest. And it only costs ?1 from ?land so worth a try. Its Cheaper than E6000 elastic glue and available everywhere.
07/02/2019 17:57:52
Or run a generous bead of cheap bathroom silicone around a 6mm rod and let it set........
07/02/2019 17:51:17
If you don't mind a little messing about, this stuff is pretty straight forward. This one sets to 40 shore but other grades are available.
EBay item number 123090909279
Thread: Lathe identification
03/01/2019 12:06:03
Is that a myford ml7 tail stock?
The supporting "feet" say atlas to me too.
Thread: Old Lathe
27/12/2018 18:31:51
Oh yes, the vast majority are indeed supported beneath the tail stock! only the very small offerings were like your lathe, my apologies! It does look very much like an m type as suggested, had to Google it though!
27/12/2018 12:48:29
An old Zyto lathe perhaps? As always, troll through lathes.co.uk i'll bet you almost find it lol
Thread: Tungsten Alloy
29/11/2018 21:32:11
A while ago I came across a material that was rods of titanium cast into copper (I think!) The guy was machining it and etching it to make unusual jewlery pieces, anyway would this kind of method work at all? A number of smaller rods brazed together, then cast into aluminium or copper, which could be turned?
Ben.
Thread: Blackening steel parts
28/11/2018 18:32:16
+1 For gun blue, the results are instant, it can be re-applied for a deeper black and is a cold process. It can be "blochy" sometimes, but another application and a coat of oil usually fixes it. I use birchwood Casey "Super Blue" because its an extra strength concentrate solution that works significantly faster/better than the regular stuff. Its not suitable for stainless, aluminium or non ferous. It (according to the bottle) Works best on steel with a nickel or chrome alloys.
Ben.
Thread: Hemp Oil
23/11/2018 11:47:25
Sorry...hemp IS cannabis,they are all part of the Cannabaceae family (Like onions and garlic all being different but still all types of allium)
Cannabis used for narcotics are chosen for their higher potential to produce THC and are cross bred to increase this trait further...resulting in unnaturally high levels of THC. Hemp has been developed in the same way, just with an effort to reduce the amount of THC, and increase the growth rate and internodal length for longer fibres.
I don't believe its "evil" in anyway in any form.
Thread: CBD Oil
22/11/2018 14:45:45
C.b.d works. It helps my anxiety. And my sister uses it to help manage a shoulder injury, she has physio too but says the c.b.d does help. She's a fitness instructor, and was impressed how much it helped.
Holland and Barrett sell a 5% oil thats ok for around ?22 for 10ml. Online you can find higher percentage oil (I use 10% @ ?30 10ml).
Thread: Cox Per Wee or Tee Dee
04/11/2018 12:37:40
Thanks for all the advice! I think I got a little too exited and have decided to start at a more sensible 1-2cc. That book sounds fantastic Marcus, just what im after! Could you give me the isbn number so i can try to find an old copy? It sounds like just the thing i need! Those diesel engines look quite fancy, and im surprised to learn they would be a better place to start than the Cox! Still seems strange.
Anyway, while relaxing after a 12 hour shift my finger slipped looking through ebay listings and I bought a Cox .49 (I think) to play around with.
Thanks again for all the advice!
Ben.
28/10/2018 19:12:05
Starting with something a wee bit bigger might well be a good idea John, how much bigger would I need to go to get more forgiving tollerences d'ya think?
Neil, i was hoping suitably tint glow heads were available from the bay (sure I've seen them on there) but isn't it just a bit of platinum of the right resistance in a threaded holder? Kanthal could maybe substitute? (I think I'm forgetting something about a reaction between the nitro fuel and platinum....) I know you are super busy but if you could take some measurements of one, or both the Cox engines you have, i would be very grateful, but its a big ask for a busy guy so no worries if you don't have time. And agree its probably going to be devilishly frustrating and to be honest I would probably be disappointed in a way if it fired up first time.
Bert, for some reason i thought it was just a small ring? I must be getting parts/names confused, either way, thanks for the advice....do you have a link for the .3 plans? That might well be my best bet, thanks again.
Also, are these as much fun as they look? I want to send it screaming through the foamies at the local park lol
28/10/2018 14:56:58
Thanks for the reply! Closer than I was expecting, but im going to focus on the "very do-able" bit lol
I didn't realize they wore out quickly, I think some material selection could keep any ware on the piston which looks to be the easier part to swap out? Making the piston a consumable part. It's looking like a better and better project by the second!
Thanks again
28/10/2018 14:26:14
This is probably the wrong place for this inquiry, if it is please do move it along to the correct place!
Anyway, has anyone any experience in making a replica Cox Pee Wee 0.020cc i.c engine? Or similar tiny design. Or know if any plans/drawings are available? It looks to have about 6 parts, and it looks tantalizingly do-able (to the eager novice eye) lol
If I cant find plans or any usefull reference, I'm just going to approximate what i can. Can anyone advise on what fit the piston should have? Or any other critical fitment issues with this kind of mini.
Thanks for any and all input. Random anecdotes welcome too....
Thread: my homemade foudry
29/09/2018 01:03:43
wow, well done and thanks for sharing! im going to be starting some casting projects soon, tiz a scary thought!
are those some crowned pulleys your making?
Thread: Using wood on a metal lathe
15/09/2018 20:27:02
I am sorry to the o.p but i do have to say Derek lane...wow! I love the model trucks. fantastic model work!
Thread: Petrol proof adhesive
09/09/2018 10:31:35
just to chime in and say the aluminium solders are very good....big grin on my face when i saw it worked. there are some Russian flux brands that work really well with the stuff too
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest