By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Robert B

Here is a list of all the postings Robert B has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: HOW FAST - ANEMOMETER CALIBRATION ?
19/02/2022 22:10:00

Now for a pressure tube anemograph?

Thread: What to do with a sticky (as in toffee) portable radio
25/12/2021 20:06:04

A sticky torch was sorted using a paste of bicarbonate of soda, mixed with water. Easy and very effective. I'm told using it as paste is important. I've no idea about the chemistry.

Thread: How to profile a bum shaped depression in a 5"G drivers tip-up seat
06/12/2021 21:59:06

The depression isn't very deep. Some 80 and 120, possibly 180, grit paper glues to stick will make that quite quickly and keep the non engineered shape. The seat of pants over a few years will make this or standing on it with hob nails. Windsor chair makes have special tools but on this scale they are not needed. Look for a finer grain. Oak can be distinctly coa

rse and not in keeping. Should it have an oil and coal dust patina?

Rob

Thread: Box Joint Pliers
01/12/2021 21:30:48

Surgeons tools may now be destroyed as a prevention of BSE infections getting through. This happened to metal implements used for dressing a wound in an A&E visit. I don't know how though as the nurse didn't.

Thread: hi new here from ely
17/08/2021 19:38:34

In Haddenham. Not much metal at the moment, the shed is coated in wood shavings and dust.

Rob

Thread: Graduating markings
12/03/2021 20:18:12

From memory, always suspect, GHT: 40 deg included angle 2 thou tip flat cut to 5 thou deep

Rob

Edited By Robert B on 12/03/2021 20:18:46

Thread: Pools Special Back Gear
05/03/2021 20:00:30

My Pools is still buried under my son's tools, debris and junk. It's waiting for is garage and workshop to be built and until then it is inaccesable. His roof shoud arrive next week and I hope to be able to shift the stuff in a couple of weeks. I still have a gear to investigate and can have a look then. But until then...

Robert

Thread: Pools Special Lathe
08/10/2020 20:26:19

I have put some photos of my Pools Major into an album. Currently it is buried under much stuff while my son moves house. I will endevour to measure the change gears when it surfaces.

Rob

Thread: Broken drill bit in hole
04/07/2020 20:23:29

georgeweil.com lists Alum Mordant (Alumimium Potassium Sulphate) - 500g

£8.60

" Synonyms: Potash Alum, Aluminium Ammonium Sulphate. "

They are out of stock as their supplier is closed.

Rob

Thread: Weeds in a 'lawn'
21/06/2020 21:37:00

Not much "lawn" there, lots of moss and annual plants with the inevitable daisies.

First fix the soil, good drainage and aeration. Spiking with a fork to 4 or 6 inches all over. Clay soils and the rubbish left by builders can be a problem. Grass likes a high Nutrient level. Conservation meadows strive to reduce this and thus the competition to the desirable broadleaf species. Scarify spring and autumn, doing this in summer may leave you with bare earth for some time. Overseed with a lawn mix, think about how you maintain and use it when you choose this. I found a tennis pitch mix useful. Don't cut it too short, I maintained lawns at 30mm minimum. That allows easy use without stressing it too much. It allows the roots to penetrate deeper so helping the resilience of the grass. Cut frequently, you should only take off 5 to 8mm at a time, again to reduce plant stress. Feed, not much is needed but it does keep the grass healthy.

Lawns are not easy if you want a show standard, bowling greens ar a full time job. Mine is full of wild flowers and grass, I like the flowers. Because of the drought it hasn't been cut for three weeks, the flowers 30cm high and longish turf, insects love it.

I would consider starting from scratch with a really bad lawn, scrape of the top 3cm, level and reseed. Not a job for the summer. make sure the soil is good.

Rob

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
11/06/2020 20:49:27

Not quite today, working out pictures and files. Swarf from parting 2" steel bar. OK for a 72 year old lathe and nearly as old operator. I managed to make 101 divisions on a new cross feed dial today.indecision

2020-06-10 swarf.jpg

Thread: Any ideas please
25/03/2020 20:52:24

I use wooden breakback traps, our cat is useless usually bringing mice or voles in and losing them. The traps are cheap and may need some tweeking at first and don't forget to check them regularly, very rarely the creature can get caught but not killed quickly.

The traps need careful setting to easily trip. I bait with almonds or walnuts, most effective of the many baits I've tried.

Rob

Edited By Robert B on 25/03/2020 20:53:48

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
24/10/2019 16:22:21

"I'll leave the bare wood as it is"

Knowing the black marks on our kitchen wooden work top, not oak, and experience with acidic wood I would seal it ASP. Those small bits of precise steel need looking after.

Rob

Thread: Telescopic bore gauges
20/10/2019 21:24:24

I have a set from Kennedy. Nicer than the cheapy sets seen at the shows but more affordable than Mitotoyo etc. Working OK for me but I cannot claim any skill.

Thread: Looking for a locking stay for machine canopy.
12/08/2019 20:58:59

Posibly these?

https://www.catchesandlatches.co.uk/lid-stays-hinges/

Thread: Is your spindle bore large enough?
09/08/2019 21:20:46

Head stock bore on my ML7 accourding to he manual is 0.625". It's not, is is 0.586", frustratingly small. The gap bed is small too so cannot swing the arms of Hemmingway's staking tool. Dealing with the lathe limitations takes much time and anguish.

Bob

Thread: What is this machine?
22/12/2018 22:04:07

I used a similar machine, only up to 5 (push two numbers for higher), to total the rainfall and other data in the Met Office in the late '60's. Usually done at 3 to 4 in the morning to keep awake on night duty.

Bob

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
04/04/2017 17:07:49

I made a T nut for the Myford. Not good enough to show but it works. First turning on the now bolted down ML7.

Several more will be needed.

Thread: Workshop thermal gloves- advice please
26/02/2017 21:39:13

We installed overhead infrared heating over a work bench in a space impossible to heat effectively. It worked well, not good for the space heating but bench work was OK. Have you looked at USB heated fingerless mittens? Cable may be an issue but plug in USB sockets are cheap.

Robert

Thread: Introducing...
26/02/2017 20:45:01

Hello everyone,

After lurking here for some time I need to say hello.

I have acquired a ML7, even older than me. Yet to set it up as I need to reorganise my work shop/shed.

Robert

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest