By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David George 1

Here is a list of all the postings David George 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New to ME
28/04/2020 07:57:32

Hi Paul welcome to the forum. In the lockdown I have just made a wobbler engine and have just started on a boiler to run it from the same web site. http://www.steves-workshop.co.uk/steammodels/simpleoscil/simpleoscil.htm have a look at it I found it enjoyable to make and the drawings are free to download. Maybe it is to simple but it kept my mind employed for a few days. Keep safe.

20200403_112701_001.jpg

David

Edited By David George 1 on 28/04/2020 08:00:17

Edited By David George 1 on 28/04/2020 08:01:15

Thread: J&S 540 way lube question
27/04/2020 16:03:37

Hi Dave you can run the hydraulics without the bed on to see if the oil lube is working and if the cylinder has excessive leakage. The oil should just drain back to tank, look for blockages, and clean route to tank.

David

Thread: New member far north
26/04/2020 21:32:39

Hi Roger welcome to the forum. What are you interested in making. I have family near you in Balintore not that far from you I believe.

David

Thread: Number punches
26/04/2020 15:20:25

My granddaughter wanted to make a Viking bracelet and so made her a jig so that the silver could be traversed by incremental positions and she could make a reasonable job the stamps were a little swollen and swaged on the outside so they had to stoned to remove high spots so they would slide through the top jig but it worked out ok.

20191213_164016.jpg

20191213_162508.jpg

David

Thread: Parting tool material
26/04/2020 09:00:47

When I was an apprentice we made parts for nuclear reactors in submarines. These were made from a type of stainless and to protect from contamination which may become radioactive the tooling was all stellite and any mallet etc were lead or lead covered. These were mainly sealing rings which sealed the pipework to the chamber and shaped to fit special seals in compression. The stellite turning bits just looked like HSS tools and drills were more like a spade drill inserted into a steel shank.

David

25/04/2020 19:57:57

Is it stelite?

David

Edited By David George 1 on 25/04/2020 19:58:23

Thread: Macc Models
25/04/2020 19:18:27

I rang the last week and they are open but only on line orders only as they are too busy to answer the phone but she said tgat I was lucky to get an answer. The order was placed on Thursday last week posted on Monday and received it today Saturday.

David

Thread: J&S 540 way lube question
24/04/2020 22:03:33

Hi Dave that is the adjuster for the traverse and hydraulic pressure just best left alone till you know it needs adjusting. I think the lubrication is adjusted by small valves inside the column under the bed. I believe the auto oiler is for the column and vertical lead screw there may be a small pipe with a tray to catch the old oil. Some spares are avilabke from Andmar. https://www.andmar.co.uk/ check the chain and gear on the pump and also the tank has a tendency to corrode by coolant getting into the oil and sitting under the oil. If the cylinder rods are badly bent don't file just remove the the cylinder and rods and straighten with soft mallet etc. If not repairable you can buy chromed rod to replace them. Also if you strip them check the seals for wear, they are available not to expensive.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 24/04/2020 22:09:36

Edited By David George 1 on 24/04/2020 22:11:21

Thread: Measuring wear on a surface grinder
24/04/2020 07:27:38

Hi Dave these are fairly bomb proof as far as to the bed ways are concerned you will grind the top of the bed and then the top of the magnetic chuck so that it can't but help to be parallel. The things that cause wear and trouble are the hydraulic pump which can lose pressure if it is worn, the chainwheel and chain between the motor and pump, and the return ways for the hydraulic oil which become blocked by dirt and debris. There are a few other things like the piston seals on the hydraulic cylinder but they are readily available. There is a company called Andmar which is useful https://www.andmar.co.uk/ worth a look . I would look in the hydraulic tank as the oil can be quite grotty after a long time in a toolroom and clean it out before refilling with oil also checking for holes in the tank as they are prone to rusting as any coolant sinks to the bottom of the tank and after a while may cause leaks. Good look give it a good clean and it will last forever.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 24/04/2020 07:28:12

Thread: Holding glass lens for grinding
20/04/2020 08:42:30

Hi I think that the supporting it on a shaped support that is slightly smaller than the finnished size and a rubber nose on a revolving centre ( you can get them with interchangeable noses ) is the way to go but never having done this maybe someone can suggest a better method. Can you give a size and picture to help.

David

Thread: Making M Type Drummond lathe cross slide leadscrew nut.
19/04/2020 13:44:06

To fitt the new nut. The saddle was stripped and removed and set up in the mill against an angle plate, picked up the centre and bored through. The head recess was machined at the same time and the screw holes for the retaining screws. The bush was locktited in and screws fitted, job done.

David

18/04/2020 20:50:29

I made a finnish tap from silver steel hardened and tempered just t make sure i can repeat sizes.

20190520_162551.jpg

David

18/04/2020 19:06:23

Yes Old Mart it's a 1/2 inch OD 10 TPI RH square thread.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 18/04/2020 19:08:31

18/04/2020 18:19:57

With the lockdown I thought that I would make a couple of spare nuts for repairing worn threads in crosslide casting. The thread us cut straight into the casting so when wear becomes to much the only option is to bore out and replace with a phos bronze bush.

20200418_102437.jpg

20200418_105727.jpg

Screw cut and tap and check with leadscrew.

David

Thread: Cutting / tapping oil
18/04/2020 17:29:31

Try Kutamatic liquid is great about £13.00 a 500 Ml and lasts for ages.

David

Thread: fresh meat
18/04/2020 07:21:31

Hi Jerkey welcome to the forum. Where are you based as it helps with local supliers and help. What are you interested in tooling and machinery or projects.

David

Thread: Myford ML7 Thrust bearing
16/04/2020 22:22:16

try Simply Bearings on the web.

David

Thread: "I'm gobsmacked", Mi' Duracell's leaked.
16/04/2020 09:04:09

When servicing CNC machines with Heidenhien controllers they had memory backup cells and it was specified that they must be Duracell. I wonder if that still is continued. If they leaked it could wreck the board and prevent the backup working and lose stored memory in the case of mains being turned off or failure.

David

15/04/2020 22:58:17

A few years ago I had a clock with the spinney balls on a spring piece under a glass dome but one day I found that the batteries had leaked and as they were Duracell I rang them up. The batteries were well in date and still had a charge but the clock was damaged and they said to send the clock to them which I did and I received a week later a new clock and a supply of batteries.

David

Thread: E clip tool
12/04/2020 07:29:36

Steve we had a pair of pliers parallel jaw type from Maun industries with a slot spark eroded in one side to allow the clip to be retained when the jaws were closed to push on the clip. These were for disembleing a wire drive on a wire cut machine.

David

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest