By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David George 1

Here is a list of all the postings David George 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How to price up and sell a super 7 lathe
12/06/2019 07:41:23

Hi David sorry to hear about your father but the lathe looks a nice piece of machinery. You can post it on this web site or others under classified but a few more pictures would help, close up of the bed and if you were to lay out the spare chucks and other tools it would help. As to moving the lathe it is easy to unbolt the main lathe from the base just four bolts and disconnect the wire to the motor, take a picture of wire connections before. There are movers who will come and move it for you at a cost ie Landylift or others or just post it as collect and move at buyers expense.

David

Thread: ST #1 Problem
11/06/2019 22:18:59

Nice looking job. I am looking for something to make perhaps one of these, what do you run your models on air or steam.

David

Thread: New vice, good choice?
11/06/2019 17:59:44

20190611_154342.jpg

My vice is about 40 year old but never reground it and it's still flat and square.

David

11/06/2019 15:47:58

I have a similar vice I made when at work. Absolutely solid and dead square you can remove a job and replace it with no problems of position etc. I have a small step in the top of the jaws to hold thin pieces.

David

Thread: Mystery lathe backplate
09/06/2019 20:17:11

A picture would help to identify please.

David

Thread: Hi from Norwich
09/06/2019 07:16:34

Hi Dave welcome to the forum. Have you any pictures of your Dodge Pickup, just interested, I suppose it was made from thicker grade metal in those days. I am an ex-biker and machinery man myself.

David

Thread: Myford/ Drummond M Type chuck back plate.
08/06/2019 12:38:16

The cloverleaf plate is just to give pressure on front of jaws to make sure that when you grind them they are in the working attitude and will be able to grip on whole width of jaws. The three jaw type are less accurate than a four jaw one as like a three leg stool won't rock but as I have stamped the plate so it can be returned to same position on chuck and I have checked it with feeler gauges and localy filed it till there are no gaps when tightened up. Also it is made from soft mild steel so it will bed down fairly easy. For the other set of jaws j have made a set of rings which will do the same thing but opposite pressure for grinding them as well.

David

08/06/2019 08:04:49

I have started machining the back plate ready to mount my new 4 jaw self centering chuck but as I bought it from Myford at the at the Doncaster show as faulty, returned as it ran out written on box. I checked it by holding it in my 3 jaw chuck and after striping and checking it is obvious that the jaws were ground wrong. So I have made a 4 hole cloverleaf jig to grind it when mounted.

Screw cutting the back plate.

20190607_091040.jpg

20190607_091241.jpg

Here is the cloverleaf jig.

20190607_215726.jpg

20190607_215704.jpg

David

Thread: Items of Caving Equipment
05/06/2019 22:50:51

Hi I still use my figure of 8 decender which I first used 50 years ogo. I was lowering some branches from one of our trees which I trimmed off from about 50 to 60 foot off the ground. I don't know how many potholes it was used in over the years as well as bridges etc I used training students to abseil. I still have various chocks and wedges which were milled at work just replaced the rope work from time to time.

Ps you can still buy figure of 8 decenders.

David

Thread: New member from Norfolk
05/06/2019 08:11:40

Hi John welcome to the forum. Sorry that you are downsizing but there is help on here. If you look at the top of the web page in the black stripe there is a tab forums, click that and there is a web site FAQ tab click that to get how to page, I hope that helps. It may help if your locality is known just roughly were you are based as local knowledge can help.

David

Thread: New member Suffolk
03/06/2019 18:16:38

Hi Tom Welcome to the forum loads of information on here you just have to ask.

David

Thread: What is the correct way to use a split die to cut a thread.
03/06/2019 07:16:42

The die should be a loose fit in the holder to a let it expand. The centre screw has a sharp angled point to make the die expand when tightened but the two outside screws are blunted and when tightened lock and close the die size. Put die in holder with die size info on outside as the cutting angle is this end but if you reverse after cutting thread you can cheat a little more thread up to a shoulder. You firstly loosen the outside pair and tighten the middle screw to open up the die. You can check the setting with a known screw if you like and I like to set it loose so I take two cuts and get a better finnish. Take the first cut by cutting forward and reversing a small amount to break of the swarf repeating till thread is cut to length, don't forget to use appropriate lubricant . Check the thread with a nut, adjust by loosening the centre screw and tightening the two outer screws slightly, 're cut the thread and check size. You can cut as many times as you like depending on material you are threading. I hope this helps.

David

Thread: What are you using for Lathe Way Oil?
02/06/2019 12:03:52

Slideway 68 oil for me as well. Just borrow some from friend with an engineering company.

David

Thread: Myford/ Drummond M Type chuck back plate.
02/06/2019 11:25:04

No DON'T USE THE BACK GEAR it will break. I have seen many pictures of broken back gears and attempts to repair them.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 02/06/2019 11:29:02

02/06/2019 10:12:00

Just thought I would share drawing of back plate for my M Type lathe. These pictures and need moding to suit your chuck but the spindle sizes are the same no matter which chuck. I also have a C spanner mod on all my chucks and thought it is easy to do.

20190602_094820.jpg

20190602_094759.jpg

20190602_091555.jpg

20190602_091742.jpg

20190602_091810.jpg

It's so easy to remove chuck with no damage just tap C spanner with mallet.

David

Thread: How often do you oil your lathe ways?
31/05/2019 22:12:22

Hi I lubricate at least every other time I use it and wipe it with an oily rag most times I use it to clear swarf etc.

David

Thread: TALE OF TWO VIPERS
31/05/2019 07:10:15

Nice colours as you predicted on these motors and nice to see them running at last.

David

Thread: Myford boring bar help
30/05/2019 22:54:36

Hi yes the cutter is clamped by a grub screw in the other hole which overlaps the cutter hole. You can set the cutter diameter by using a dial test indicator datum set on the boring bar and winding out the difference to set the bore diameter.

David

Thread: Hi from Staffordshire
30/05/2019 09:30:29

Hi Lainchy welcome to the forum there is loads if information already in back posts about machinery but ask away on here if you need help.

David

Thread: Replacement Type cross slide nut.
27/05/2019 09:16:02

Hi Geoff the tap was made from a piece of 16mm diamiter silver steel hardened and tempered, but the cutting diamiter was 0.510 inch diamiter giving a clearance of 10 thou on the outside. I actually cut the thread to depth and just used the tap to make sure it is correct size and no push off etc.

David

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Advertise With Us
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Meridienne Sept 2019
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest