By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David George 1

Here is a list of all the postings David George 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: [Project 3] Dickson T1 Tool Holder
22/05/2020 13:46:15

This is a drawing of a standard toolpost using a screw with a plain shank to check sizes from to make sure that the clamp mechanism works the same on all replacement pieces.

20191208_192606_003.jpg

David

Thread: Merryweather Steam Fire King self propelled
22/05/2020 07:09:04

Hi Werner nice to see you still safe and your magical engine still working.

David

Thread: Using large dies
20/05/2020 07:47:37

The pipe thread set I have has separate blades which are adjustable and when I worked on a lathe this style of threading head was used for larger threads over 1 inch and were fitted to tailstock MT 4 which released when the tailstock was stoped by saddle which was hit by sliding tailstock.

20200520_072420.jpg

David

Thread: Stabilising a Milling Machine
19/05/2020 14:25:13

just get some resin anchor fix from your local builders merchants and some threaded rod washers and nuts. Drill the holes through the base into and even through the concrete the clearance for the threaded rod. clean out the holes to get rid of dust etc. then fill the holes with the resin ( read label on cartridge for instructions) and push in the threaded rod, which has to be clean and grease free, twisting as you push to get a good coating. The rod will become part of the concrete without stressing the hole and will never come out. the threaded rod has to be cut off flush to the floor if you ever need to move the machine but it will never fall over. I have used this for many pieces of machinery from an offhand grinder to large CNC milling machines up to 50 tonne and recommend it as the safest and easiest method to fasten down machinery.

David

Thread: Milling spindle motor
19/05/2020 09:14:34

I recently made a toolpost spindle but mainly for drilling etc.

20191016_162130.jpg

It has a variable DC motor driving a 2 to 1 ratio tooth belt and pulley.

David

Thread: Sharpening Fine tooth slitting Saws
19/05/2020 07:51:17

You can try here https://www.abtec4abrasives.com/standard-shapes-for-diamond--cbn-wheels-961-c.asp not connected but remember using them at work for grinding carbide for jigs.

David

Thread: Using large dies
18/05/2020 19:35:13

I have a pipe threading set which goes up to about 2 inch but when I did larger sizes I would hire a threading machine. I would also get an apprentice to thread the pipes Usualy used for airlines mainly.

David

Thread: Sharpening Fine tooth slitting Saws
18/05/2020 08:13:58

Hi Peter why has the wheel have to be CBN as I would use a white aloxite wheel for that readily available from most grinding wheel supliers.

David

Thread: Rotary Table Chucks
17/05/2020 22:00:53

I fitted my rotary table with front mounting as it was easier to mount the plate clock the location true then screw the chuck to the back plate to run true.

David

Thread: New member from Shropshire
17/05/2020 17:45:29

Hi Craig welcome to the forum. You do my old job except I was involved in special tooling and in the end robotising tooling and the tooling for robots handling of parts etc I loved that but now retired. What machine tools do you have.

David

Thread: Silver soldering boiler
15/05/2020 13:31:22

Cupalloys are doing a special offer www.cupalloys.co.uk you could give them a call on Seivert torches etc.

David

14/05/2020 20:58:13

I have a bullfinch blowtorch and bottle. I was surprised how hot it had to be for the solder to flow I was half expecting it to melt the copper and bronze.

David

Thread: Seamus
14/05/2020 14:01:48

Hi Seamus welcome to the forum. Same vintage as my Myford M Type lathe and just a bit older than me. I have a small Chester mill 16 V and it does me ok.

David

Thread: Hello from Kent
14/05/2020 13:52:56

Hi Chris welcome to the forum. What are you interested in any prodjects in the pipeline and what tooling do you have.

David George

Thread: New to brazing and soldering during lockdown?
14/05/2020 13:47:22

Hi I found these insulation plates on a jewelry web site and found them excellent to hold the heat for silver soldering https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/square-soldering-boards no connection but you can make a decent large hearth with them. I bought all three sizes.

20200512_142030.jpg

14/05/2020 13:34:22

Hi Geoff there us a web site                      http://www.stevesworkshop.co.uk/steammodels/simpleoscil/simpleoscil.htm                         I got the idea from there is quite a lot of info there but got material from M machine metals but I upgraded the tube size a bit and am changing a few sizes to suit what I fancy, like I have bought a solid fuel burner and am waiting for it to be delivered so I can set the boiler height to flame. The copper is 16 gauge thickness. I bought some insulating boards which helped with getting the parts hot enough https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/square-soldering-boards with fire bricks underneath. the solder was Cupalloys 455 1mm and easy flow flux.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 14/05/2020 13:35:47

Thread: Using a cats cradle corectly
14/05/2020 08:23:06

Excuse me but what is a cats cradle in respect to turning on a lathe. I just don't understand what it is as the only cats cradle I know is a piece of string loop round my fingers in my youth.

David

Thread: Shaft Tolerance
14/05/2020 07:41:54

Hi Chris what material is the shaft and bush and what does it do. Different materials need diferent size tolerance especialy if any heat is involved, can you give a clue as to what use etc.

David

14/05/2020 07:34:33

Yes Brian I made a wobbler a couple of weeks ago to to pass the time and then realised that I hadn't a way of running it how I liked, so this is the boiler.

David

13/05/2020 18:50:06

U bend added to gauge.

20200513_152657.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Allendale Electronics
cowells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest