By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David George 1

Here is a list of all the postings David George 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hello
19/09/2019 07:01:27

Hi John welcome to the forum. There are many helpful members on here and you may be helpful to others but it helps so I if you give a locality were you are to suggest local supliers etc. Have you any pictures of past projects I am always on the look out for things to make.

David

Thread: Machining a chuck backplate
17/09/2019 08:12:26

If I was making an ER collet chuck to fit on to my lathe I wouldn't have a register as that would be a set back to getting the collet set to run true. I would have a a flat flange with at least 6 screws radially and be able to put a standard bar in the collet and clock the bar true then tighten the screws to stop the set moving. There is little chance of the collet set moving and if you have a major bang you can always recover by resetting the set. The register on a large diamiter chuck has at times more side load as when you have intermittent cutting but on a collet set the face friction is plenty to hold a collet chuck.

David

Thread: Meddings Drill - Help Finding Grommets or Glands
17/09/2019 07:43:20

Hi and welcome to the forum. It helps to say roughly where you are based as suggesting some things are more useful to someone from Australia is different to someone from Newcastle uk, and if you were somewhere near to where I live you could have a gland or grommet from my collection as a retired electrical engineer.

David

Thread: EN40 nitrided repair
16/09/2019 21:29:09

I had forgotten about ABR welding they were the welders we used after local welder retired and are very good. Explain the job and they can weld it.

David

Thread: Thread Size Help
15/09/2019 22:32:01

8BA could be ok 0.086 " diamiter. (2.18mm)

David

Thread: EN40 nitrided repair
15/09/2019 19:23:40

Hi Ian when we had worn through the hard layer on cams we repaired them with stellite tig welded and if any of the original profile was intact you could grind down the proud weld to match. You will have to use a good welder with previous experience. The man we used retired a few years ago.

David

Thread: Black Bar
14/09/2019 16:31:39

I have EN 40B black bar and EN 32 black bar so beware what you buy and suplier.

David

Thread: Picador Grinding Wheel Flanges
14/09/2019 16:26:26

The last time I repaired a bench grinder I made a steel flange abiut 8mm thick and run true, which was a tap on fit to the shaft with a recess that clamped the wheel on the paper washer and a slightly looser washer the same diamiter to clamp the wheel.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 14/09/2019 16:26:57

Thread: Hints and tips for cutting small(ish) male threads with a die
14/09/2019 09:06:55

Hi again Stuart. To make the centre screw, just grind or turn a point on the grub screw it is about 30 degrees and you should see the gap open when screwed in.

Best wishes

Thread: V-block
14/09/2019 07:14:48

Very good usefull to have a long V block. 

David

Edited By David George 1 on 14/09/2019 07:16:20

Thread: Recommendation for Tool and Cutter Grinder
12/09/2019 20:36:01

Hi all the grinder is a Newing-Hall pantograph engraver grinder and it had a wrecked diamond wheel (great chunk out of it). It was on EBay for £9.00 and I won it for £26.00 and could collect and pay cash. Bought a new wheel and made a proper rest and bobs your Aunty.

David

Thread: Stuck oil filter
12/09/2019 10:00:10

You can get a chain wrench to wrap round and give it a bit more force.

David

Thread: THIN cutting oil - Suds alternative?
12/09/2019 09:57:00

Hi I have a rag which is soaked in slideway oil 68 and when I have finnished I give it a wipe all over gets rid of swarf, dust and I get no rust.

David

Thread: O rings.
11/09/2019 17:13:14

There is a company called airport bearings at Nottingham which carry all size o rings web site www.ABCO.co.uk try them.

David

Thread: Diamond wheel grade for T&C grinding
10/09/2019 18:39:48

You use a diamond wheel dressing stone. It removes the matrix leaving diamond exposed. Just use it when the wheel dosnt cut.

David

Thread: Hello from West London
09/09/2019 15:48:22

Hi Mike welcome to the forum. I worked on many Bridgeport mills in my time and I don't remember any problems with repairing the gear feed mechanism. I hated the quill spring as it needs a bit of ingenuity to get the spring to latch but all the rest was just removing parts sometimes from both sides to get at them. Just look at the parts list and work your way through them taking pictures and laying them out in reverse order to assemble after changing broken parts.

David

Thread: Seeking advice on suitable lathe
09/09/2019 15:36:55

For stainless steel you could buy tubing which would save on material and drilling and use a jewlers mandrel to adjust the size to suit. I don't know in what form that the Damascus  steel comes in but that can be forged using a blank and punching a spike through and then using the mandrel to finish just finishing them on the lathe so any small lathe would do as long as the parts can be held on a mandrel to Finnish and polish.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 09/09/2019 15:38:00

Edited By David George 1 on 09/09/2019 15:38:44

Thread: Recommendation for Tool and Cutter Grinder
09/09/2019 15:21:34

This is what I use to grind small lathe cutters and carbide tips. I could make a small cutter like you would use by roughing it out on the offhand grinder then finishing it on the diamond wheel. 10 to 15 minutes max.

20190427_090312.jpg

I can adjust to suit any angle. It was a engraving tool grinder and cost £26.00 on the net. I just had to make the tool plate rest.

David

Thread: Hints and tips for cutting small(ish) male threads with a die
08/09/2019 18:28:13

Hi Stuart to use a tailstock die holder there should be play in the holder to allow the die to expand when as you tighten the centre side screw with the two side screws undone. the centre side screw has a point which pushes the slot wider and makes the die cut less of the thread and then you just nip the other screws to lock the die. after you have cut the thread you try a nut on and if it is to tight loosen the centre screw and tighten the die up and try again. make sure you are using a good cutting lubricant at all times.

David

Thread: Record Vice Q/Release Trigger Spring
08/09/2019 17:44:57

Have you tried Irwin the manufacturer.

T52EDL Trigger Spring & Nut (fits all sizes) 0734442038047 - 1 14.33 17.20

**LINK**

David

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Meridenne Boat 2019
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
cowbells
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest